DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please supply a link that says flurry of calls included to a construction company? I have followed from the very beginning and have zero memory of that.

Oops, nevermind, I see it in the Washington Post article posted above:

"The documents show a flurry of phone calls among Savvas Savopoulos, a bank, an accountant, the personal assistant, a construction company executive and Savopoulos’s American Iron Works company in the hours before the fire. The calls started shortly after 7 a.m. May 14 and ended just before noon. The fire was reported at 1:15 p.m."​

Sorry, was in a meeting. You beat me to it!

Even if someone tried to make that conclusion they would have to recognize that he corrected his mistakes and admitted the lies. Tough call for a judge to conclude obstruction of justice.

Doesn't that depend on how quickly he corrected himself? If it was in a second interview, and LE spent time pursuing his initial story, would that make a difference? I imagine LE doesn't like going on wild goose chases when 4 people have been brutally murdered. JW (knowingly or unknowingly) was at the center of this crime, in contact with SS (or DW) numerous times Wednesday and Thursday, was at the crime scene (dropping off the money or hanging out) and was privy to SS' normal schedule and habits as his driver/personal assistant. I don't see how providing false information to LE in the early stage of their investigation could NOT be obstructing justice. At the very least, JW wasted LE's time when time was of the essence. If it's true that LE didn't know that SS was one of the dead, LE must have thought he was either in extreme danger or the perpetrator.

Wikipedia: Generally, obstruction charges are laid when it is discovered that a person questioned in an investigation, other than a suspect, has lied to the investigating officers.... If the person tried to protect a suspect (such as by providing a false alibi, even if the suspect is in fact innocent) or to hide from investigation of their own activities (such as to hide their involvement in another crime), this may leave them liable to prosecution. Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters, destroys, or conceals physical evidence, even if he was under no compulsion at any time to produce such evidence. Often, no actual investigation or substantiated suspicion of a specific incident need exist to support a charge of obstruction of justice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice

HOWEVER, if I read this correctly, in DC in order for it to be obstruction of justice, the lie would have had to take place during an "official proceeding" and a police investigation (on the crime scene within minutes of the crime) is not that. I don't know if interviewing a non-suspect is the same - I guess that's what the prosecutor would have to argue before a judge. It would have to be worth it to everyone (LE, prosecutor, etc) to charge JW and frankly, I think they have bigger fish to fry. It's too bad, because I really think there should be consequences to lying to LE, wasting their time and impeding an investigation. Maybe releasing SWs for his car and phone was a consequence of lying to LE. I believe they issued a SW for NG's phone, and we haven't seen that - I'm assuming because either she's not a suspect OR it's still under seal. http://koehlerlaw.net/2012/08/wynn-v-us-further-clarification-of-obstruction-of-justice-in-d-c/

ETA: If the case goes federal, that changes everything. Federal obstruction of justice is defined less narrowly.

I have sent the updated one to the mods for the last several threads, but they haven't used it. I'll attach it here. Let me know if you see anything out-of-date on it. I can only put names that have been confirmed by LE or MSM. (LE = Law Enforcement, MSM = Main Stream Media)

View attachment 76819
Add Sean Hanover - Wint's atty, Robin Ficker - Wint's wannabe atty.

Doesn't that depend on how quickly he corrected himself? If it was in a second interview, and LE spent time pursuing his initial story, would that make a difference? I imagine LE doesn't like going on wild goose chases when 4 people have been brutally murdered. JW (knowingly or unknowingly) was at the center of this crime, in contact with SS (or DW) numerous times Wednesday and Thursday, was at the crime scene (dropping off the money or hanging out) and was privy to SS' normal schedule and habits as his driver/personal assistant. I don't see how providing false information to LE in the early stage of their investigation could NOT be obstructing justice. At the very least, JW wasted LE's time when time was of the essence. If it's true that LE didn't know that SS was one of the dead, LE must have thought he was either in extreme danger or the perpetrator.

Wikipedia: Generally, obstruction charges are laid when it is discovered that a person questioned in an investigation, other than a suspect, has lied to the investigating officers.... If the person tried to protect a suspect (such as by providing a false alibi, even if the suspect is in fact innocent) or to hide from investigation of their own activities (such as to hide their involvement in another crime), this may leave them liable to prosecution. Obstruction charges can also be laid if a person alters, destroys, or conceals physical evidence, even if he was under no compulsion at any time to produce such evidence. Often, no actual investigation or substantiated suspicion of a specific incident need exist to support a charge of obstruction of justice. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obstruction_of_justice

HOWEVER, if I read this correctly, in DC in order for it to be obstruction of justice, the lie would have had to take place during an "official proceeding" and a police investigation (on the crime scene within minutes of the crime) is not that. I don't know if interviewing a non-suspect is the same - I guess that's what the prosecutor would have to argue before a judge. It would have to be worth it to everyone (LE, prosecutor, etc) to charge JW and frankly, I think they have bigger fish to fry. It's too bad, because I really think there should be consequences to lying to LE, wasting their time and impeding an investigation. Maybe releasing SWs for his car and phone was a consequence of lying to LE. I believe they issued a SW for NG's phone, and we haven't seen that - I'm assuming because either she's not a suspect OR it's still under seal. http://koehlerlaw.net/2012/08/wynn-v-us-further-clarification-of-obstruction-of-justice-in-d-c/

ETA: If the case goes federal, that changes everything. Federal obstruction of justice is defined less narrowly.

We have not been informed if JW knew of the murders at that time. He may have been informed of the dead people removed from the burning house but was not yet aware how they died. The SW does not give a timeline of the interview or the questions and answers. Police had probable cause to interview JW and he was cooperative with them, even giving them his cell phone for examination. I am not defending JW. Just trying to get the facts clear.

Both accounts can't be true.

He corrected his first account. IMO the police have been able to verify through other witnesses and evidence that he told them the truth. It's been six weeks and he is not a suspect nor been charged with any crime

He corrected his first account. IMO the police have been able to verify through other witnesses and evidence that he told them the truth. It's been six weeks and he is not a suspect nor been charged with any crime

DW hasn't been charged with the murders of AS, PS, or VF either. That doesn't mean he won't be. Same is possible with JW.

For those of you wondering if the accountant actually withdrew the $40K from the bank or got it from a safe, according to the SW for JW's car, "The accountant that was interviewed stated the money IT withdrew of Bank of America was wrapped in money wrappers from the bank and the money was separated in four bundles that totaled forty thousand dollars."

So unless the accountant is lying, which I doubt, the SW answers that question. I'm assuming video the bank would have confirmed the accountant's story.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/267776483/Search-Warrant-for-BMW p.8

subscribing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay, this is bugging me. When the story first hit the news, there was mention that SS talked to his sister in Florida that morning and she thought everything was fine. I'm remembering she mentioned that SS said the lawn crew was there. Am I remembering that correctly? (It's possible I'm not!)

If so, I'm thinking that was a clue to her about who the perps were or how they entered the home. It's a strange thing to randomly mention in a phone call. I also wonder if SS initiated the call or if her call was mixed in the flurry of calls that morning.

I could be totally mixed up, and I can't find the original articles anymore.

We have not been informed if JW knew of the murders at that time. He may have been informed of the dead people removed from the burning house but was not yet aware how they died. The SW does not give a timeline of the interview or the questions and answers. Police had probable cause to interview JW and he was cooperative with them, even giving them his cell phone for examination. I am not defending JW. Just trying to get the facts clear.

He was supposedly drove to the house immediately upon hearing about the fire. I think he would have seen bodies carried out or heard about them from others at the scene.

I'm curious - if people think JW lied to "protect" SS, why would he have given his phone to LE? From the way the SW is written, it seems like LE knew he was lying before they saw his phone, but I guess that's not necessarily true. Could LE have had JW's phone records before they interviewed him? I feel like W2 contacted LE to tell them about the photo before they interviewed JW, but maybe LE could see the text and photo from phone records, and thus interviewed W2 after JW. Are police reports written with witnessed numbered according to when they are interviewed or according to the order in which they initially appear in a document?

DW hasn't been charged with the murders of AS, PS, or VF either. That doesn't mean he won't be. Same is possible with JW.

If they thought he was a conspirator in the murder of SS he would be in custody like DW
JMO

I think his first account was closer to the truth, at least in that he received the money in an envelope. I have said before, I think he wanted to know what was in the package, so he opened it, which then meant he needed to put it in a new envelope so SS wouldn't know he had snooped. I don't know the significance of lying about whether the car was locked or not. I don't know why JW would have gone into the bank with the accountant. If I was withdrawing $40K, I wouldn't want the new assistant to see me doing it (which is another reason I think the money was in a manila envelope - not pulled from the accountant's pockets.) Why on earth would the accountant tell JW that he just handed him $40,000, but not make any record of JW receiving it?

Every time I start to think JW was not involved in the crime, I remember the Mosler registration. I can't think of any legitimate reason that it should have been in his bag with his passport, etc. SS had the car emissions-tested months before he hired JW, around the same time that JW took and posted a pic of the car, saying he'd driven it because the owner wanted to know what a "real race car driver" thought.

If he's not involved, he is the unluckiest guy in the history of unlucky guys.

If they thought he was a conspirator in the murder of SS he would be in custody like DW
JMO

But he may be in custody. We don't know. Both our opinions are just that...opinions. It's kind of fun to volley back and forth, but there's really no "score" till we get some more information.

Yes, it was his old old lawyer making a fool of himself. His only involvement in this case has been talking head.
Good to see you back around again LinasK.
Thanks, I've had a rough Spring. Things are finally starting to get better.

I'm not sure you have to use initials, it just saves time. WELCOME!
Thanks, DD just got back from D.C. late Sat. night.

around the same time that JW took and posted a pic of the car, saying he'd driven it because the owner wanted to know what a "real race car driver" thought.

I have been lurking here. Can you or anyone else source the above part of the quote? Thanks

JMO

If... they had sufficient evidence to charge him. From the little bit I gathered from the 20/20 show, I think Wallace has to be involved somehow. I found it strange that he referred to Amy's Porsche as his "office for the day", then her car turns up elsewhere on fire. And I'm gathering he knew Wint. So did he hire Wint or was Wint out for revenge on his former employer???

Okay, this is bugging me. When the story first hit the news, there was mention that SS talked to his sister in Florida that morning and she thought everything was fine. I'm remembering she mentioned that SS said the lawn crew was there. Am I remembering that correctly? (It's possible I'm not!)

If so, I'm thinking that was a clue to her about who the perps were or how they entered the home. It's a strange thing to randomly mention in a phone call. I also wonder if SS initiated the call or if her call was mixed in the flurry of calls that morning.

I could be totally mixed up, and I can't find the original articles anymore.

My recollection (and I could be wrong) was they were two separate events. His sister said they talked, but someone else (neighbor? NG?unnamed source?) mentioned the lawn company.

I could be wrong though.

If... they had sufficient evidence to charge him. From the little bit I gathered from the 20/20 show, I think Wallace has to be involved somehow. I found it strange that he referred to Amy's Porsche as his "office for the day", then her car turns up elsewhere on fire. And I'm gathering he knew Wint. So did he hire Wint or was Wint out for revenge on his former employer???

We don't know that he knew Wint. There's been no direct link. And JW made a big deal about all the cars he drove. I don't think its strange since it was his job to drive the (impressive) cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolofeist