DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I question law enforcement because I feel I should. We all should. Was it "lying"...not convinced because as I've expressed....I wasn't there during that interrogation with JW.....this is the word law enforcement used...doesn't make it true. LE is not the end-all-be-all. They do get it wrong. Sweating bullets in an interrogation with LE after a murder is normal....I would be more concerned if they weren't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is sworn testimony by law enforcement presented to a Judge. Sworn testimony must be the truth or there will be consequences. No one, including JW, has in any way contradicted the sworn testimony that says JW admitted he lied. These are known facts. You are entitled to your opinion<modsnip>.

JMO

But he didn't make that clarification. He said he forgot,. If that were his only untrue statement in the interview it could be chalked up to misunderstanding--though it wasn't. He admitted to lying about other details. And he attributed this particular inaccuracy to forgetfulness. So, LE said that they conducted multiple interviews to get all their info. Assuming that others were rattled and misspoke and lied under pressure (if that's what we assume is natural, innocent behavior when being interviewed) why is it that only JW was called out for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think JW was called out for lying because LE still don't believe him. There is a big chunk of money still missing and he was the last known person to have it.

JMO

But he didn't make that clarification. He said he forgot,. If that were his only untrue statement in the interview it could be chalked up to misunderstanding--though it wasn't. He admitted to lying about other details. And he attributed this particular inaccuracy to forgetfulness. So, LE said that they conducted multiple interviews to get all their info. Assuming that others were rattled and misspoke and lied under pressure (if that's what we assume is natural, innocent behavior when being interviewed) why is it that only JW was called out for it?

I've been one who hasn't thought JW was involved but I'm trying to see the other side of it and consider it from the perspective that maybe he is involved so I'm curious...was it reported in MSM or in one of the SWs that JW said he forgot whether he was contacted Wed or Thurs? I don't remember that. I'm not doubting you at all, I just can't remember where that information was posted. Do you by chance have a link to where JW said he forgot? Or actually also links to where he admitted to lying? I have been following since the beginning but it has been hard to keep up! Thanks

I think JW was called out for lying because LE still don't believe him. There is a big chunk of money still missing and he was the last known person to have it.

JMO

Do you have a link for that please?

Tia

I question law enforcement because I feel I should. We all should. Was it "lying"...not convinced because as I've expressed....I wasn't there during that interrogation with JW.....this is the word law enforcement used...doesn't make it true. LE is not the end-all-be-all. They do get it wrong. Sweating bullets in an interrogation with LE after a murder is normal....I would be more concerned if they weren't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I woke up with a thought this morning. :thinking:

On June 1st, the U.S. Attorney, Vincent Cohen, Jr., filed a motion to quash subpoenas. On June 3rd, the judge denied the motion as moot, and then sent out copies of everything to attorneys, etc. Does that mean that the case is before the grand jury? Or were these subpoenas for the PH, which has since been moved to 7/2?

If this is not related to the grand jury, is it possible that the defense filed a motion to have the SWs released (either because they want the information or to create reasonable doubt in the jury pool), which the prosecution fought? IIRC, the SWs and charging documents were under seal because releasing them might endanger witnesses or impede the investigation. Maybe DW's public defender at the time instigated the release of the documents. That would mean LE was not responsible for releasing them. I have wondered why these particular documents were released, when they certainly have dozens if not scores of similar ones still under seal. I feel like these SWs were released around this time, but I could be wrong.

Can a defense attorney ask for evidence from the prosecution (discovery?) before the preliminary hearing? TIA

06/01/2015 Motion to Quash Filed: Motion to Quash Subpoenas Filed:
Attorney: COHEN JR, Mr VINCENT H (471489)
06/03/2015 Order Denying Motion Entered on the Docket Order Denying Motion Entered on the Docket signed in chambers by Judge Winston 6-3-15 ordering that the Motion to Quash Subpoenas is denied as moot. Order docketed and copies forwarded from chambers 6-3-15. VDJ

I've been one who hasn't thought JW was involved but I'm trying to see the other side of it and consider it from the perspective that maybe he is involved so I'm curious...was it reported in MSM or in one of the SWs that JW said he forgot whether he was contacted Wed or Thurs? I don't remember that. I'm not doubting you at all, I just can't remember where that information was posted. Do you by chance have a link to where JW said he forgot? Or actually also links to where he admitted to lying? I have been following since the beginning but it has been hard to keep up! Thanks

I'll track it down. I believe it was on the charging doc, but I don't want to misrepresent. I am genuinely wondering why LE was so suspicious of JW's lies if misspeaking and correcting accounts upon being shown evidence is a behavior that they normally encounter in interviews due to people being caught off guard or stressed. Why would they release that info to the media? NG seems a little all over the map when speaking to the media. I would guess that she didn't become a completely clear communicator when being interviewed by LE and had to correct herself. So, why wasn't she called out by LE for that? It just doesn't make sense. :thinking:

I don't disagree with that. But we are talking about a person who admitted to intentionally deceiving LE about multiple details that happened that day. You don't have to neuroscientist to assume that it possible that he was also lying that he couldn't remember that he got instructions last night or this morning. He had it together enough to make up stories. Maybe he just forgot. Maybe not.

I was the victim of a hit-and-run the other day. I saw the guy and his car. Luckily I took a photo of the car, but it was from behind and he wasn't visible in the photo. When I talked to the police, I told them that I knew I would be a terrible witness. But I was able to tell them my basic visual impressions of the driver (which could have been wrong) from the brief encounter. I didn't trust myself on the exact time, etc., so I referred to my phone, the time the photo was taken, etc. My memory is worthless (mommy brain morphed directly into early-onset Alzheimer's [joking, I hope]), so I know I have to rely on tools, like my cell phone and notes. If I was in JW's position, my mind might go entirely blank, but I would ask if I could refer to my phone to be sure I got the answers right. If I had already discussed the events with a co-worker, my memory might be fresher and more reliable, but I'd still want to check myself with an objective witness - my text and call records for example. I find it hard to believe that JW texted SS back on Wednesday night, but told LE that he wasn't asked to make the delivery until the phone call on Thursday morning. Those are different interactions. It might make sense if he said he was called Wednesday night, or texted Thursday morning, but even that is a stretch to me. He had plenty of time after learning about the fire to go over the texts, call log and voice mails, to recreate what had actually happened from his end. I feel there was deliberate deception on his part because he actually made up stories of how he delivered the money, rather than omitting information. I can understand omitting the Wednesday night text more than I can understand him telling LE that he found a key, unlocked the car, put the money in the car, relocked the car, etc...

This is not to say that JW is involved in the crime, but that if he was lying, he had to have a reason that he thought was more important than helping LE in their investigation.

JMO

kammiemc said:

I think JW was called out for lying because LE still don't believe him. There is a big chunk of money still missing and he was the last known person to have it. JMO

There is no record of JW stating "I lied." The SW only states he admitted he lied.
Here is my reconstruction of how that might have happened. Suppose rather than "I lied" the conversation was closer to the following:

Statement from the SW: Wallace admitted he lied when he said he stated the money was in a manila envelope..
Detective: Jordan, when we&#8217;re done here you are going to sign a statement that everything you are telling me is the accurate truth. Do you understand that?
JW: Yes sir.
Detective: Young man, you told me that SS called you this morning to pick up the package. However, it show&#8217;s right here on your IPhone that you exchanged messages with SS last night. You told me the accountant placed the money into a manila envelope. We also talked to the accountant at AIW and he said blah, blah, blah. Your story does not hold up, young man. That means you lied to me. Isn&#8217;t that right? Now I want the g.d. truth.
JW: Um.. well, right. Actually he stuffed the money into my knapsack. I put it into the envelope before I put it into the car.

Note: This is a fabrication of a possible conversation for which there is no factual basis. Yes, it is still admission of a lie and the reason for lying is inexplicable but it is not proof of complicity in extortion and murder.

Sure. I am sure he spent money as freely as he could. I don't know how much money the guy walked away with. I only know the accounting from the truck and UBER. I could guess that he had exactly $40k and spent exactly $40k. I don't know and am not trying to convince anyone otherwise.

It sounds to me like he left a big chunk with his brother/cousin (can't keep everyone straight) who was having it laundered while DW was in NYC. I think DW always intended to come back to DC.

1. IMO The flurry of phone calls on SS's phone were recovered by LE, numbers dialed, calls received, voice mails, texts. These would have included calls to the bank, and AIW. However with the thought that SS was involved in numerous businesses I assume that there would have been several calls to and from SS dealing with the normal course of his business. It has been stated that these calls included a CEO of a construction company. So it is an unknown how many calls were specifically extortion related.
2. The messages on JW's phone include the SS call of Weds evening instructing him to pick up the package or money (not clear), plus SS call on Thurs a.m instructing him to deliver the package to the red car in the garage., plus the messages from JW to SS.
3. AFAI recall, JW texted SS Weds eve, that he received the message and would pick up the package on Thurs a.m. On Thurs JW texted that he received the package and was 10 minutes away. After he delivered the package he texted package delivered

NOTE: I have not quoted the messages reported in MSM or NT blog because the reports vary. The SWs reveal only the description of the messages and not the context. We do not have an actual transcript of any of the phone messages so it is difficult to understand or parse the construct or meaning of the messages.

Only two points of clarification: I believe in the docs it is said that JW stated that he CALLED SS when he was 10 mins away, at which time he got verbal instructions from SS to put the money in the car. Then JW TEXTED SS at 10:26 to say that he had delivered the package.

There is no record that the ladies were paid $2,500 each. The MSM Washington Post said that the ladies had cashed $2,500 each of the cash that was accounted for in the truck. There were receipts recovered from the Chevy Cruz that documented either/or purchasing or cashing of the money orders.

That's what I thought, too, but was too lazy to find the original report. It seems MSM has misinterpreted that.

On the first, I've always thought it was likely that SS contacted JW the night before, along the lines of "heads up, I'll need you tomorrow morning to pick up a package for me, I'll give you the details in the morning." Then Thursday morning SS contacted JW again with instructions as to where to go for the pickup. This would also explain why JW said he was told to make the pickup that morning, but had a text about it from the night before.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I agree with Wyle_E_Coyote. On #2, have no idea. #3, I think he just left out "have" (when I have picked up the package).

I'll track it down. I believe it was on the charging doc, but I don't want to misrepresent. I am genuinely wondering why LE was so suspicious of JW's lies if misspeaking and correcting accounts upon being shown evidence is a behavior that they normally encounter in interviews due to people being caught off guard or stressed. Why would they release that info to the media? NG seems a little all over the map when speaking to the media. I would guess that she didn't become a completely clear communicator when being interviewed by LE and had to correct herself. So, why wasn't she called out by LE for that? It just doesn't make sense. :thinking:

I wonder that too. As to why they would release that info to the media, who knows? Maybe it was not meant to be released, maybe it was out of LE's hands (as rkf posted above perhaps the defense filed a motion to have the SW released? IDK), maybe they released it strategically to help their case somehow even though they don't believe JW is involved...I just don't know. I don't know enough about the way LE works to even make a good guess.

There is no record of JW stating "I lied." The SW only states he admitted he lied.
Here is my reconstruction of how that might have happened. Suppose rather than "I lied" the conversation was closer to the following:

Statement from the SW: Wallace admitted he lied when he said he stated the money was in a manila envelope..
Detective: Jordan, when we&#8217;re done here you are going to sign a statement that everything you are telling me is the accurate truth. Do you understand that?
JW: Yes sir.
Detective: Young man, you told me that SS called you this morning to pick up the package. However, it show&#8217;s right here on your IPhone that you exchanged messages with SS last night. You told me the accountant placed the money into a manila envelope. We also talked to the accountant at AIW and he said blah, blah, blah. Your story does not hold up, young man. That means you lied to me. Isn&#8217;t that right? Now I want the g.d. truth.
JW: Um.. well, right. Actually he stuffed the money into my knapsack. I put it into the envelope before I put it into the car.

Note: This is a fabrication of a possible conversation for which there is no factual basis. Yes, it is still admission of a lie and the reason for lying is inexplicable but it is not proof of complicity in extortion and murder.

Yes, I have always imagined the conversation did go something like in the way you described. They had to show him evidence in order for him to change his story, at which time he had to admit that his first stories were false. He lied and was forced to admit he lied. It doesn't mean he stabbed or strangled anyone. It does point to the fact that he was hiding more than a few things for some reason, which could point to him having some knowledge/awareness that he did not want to share with LE. Or even involvement. Sorry, I know people hate for their to be a cloud of suspicion over JW's head. But there it is.

I was the victim of a hit-and-run the other day. I saw the guy and his car. Luckily I took a photo of the car, but it was from behind and he wasn't visible in the photo. When I talked to the police, I told them that I knew I would be a terrible witness. But I was able to tell them my basic visual impressions of the driver (which could have been wrong) from the brief encounter. I didn't trust myself on the exact time, etc., so I referred to my phone, the time the photo was taken, etc. My memory is worthless (mommy brain morphed directly into early-onset Alzheimer's [joking, I hope]), so I know I have to rely on tools, like my cell phone and notes. If I was in JW's position, my mind might go entirely blank, but I would ask if I could refer to my phone to be sure I got the answers right. If I had already discussed the events with a co-worker, my memory might be fresher and more reliable, but I'd still want to check myself with an objective witness - my text and call records for example. I find it hard to believe that JW texted SS back on Wednesday night, but told LE that he wasn't asked to make the delivery until the phone call on Thursday morning. Those are different interactions. It might make sense if he said he was called Wednesday night, or texted Thursday morning, but even that is a stretch to me. He had plenty of time after learning about the fire to go over the texts, call log and voice mails, to recreate what had actually happened from his end. I feel there was deliberate deception on his part because he actually made up stories of how he delivered the money, rather than omitting information. I can understand omitting the Wednesday night text more than I can understand him telling LE that he found a key, unlocked the car, put the money in the car, relocked the car, etc...

This is not to say that JW is involved in the crime, but that if he was lying, he had to have a reason that he thought was more important than helping LE in their investigation.

JMO

I dont disagree with you that he could have actually made up stories rather than just forgetting/absent mindedly omitting information. However, do we really know exactly what he told LE or didn't tell LE? We know he admitted to lying but we don't really know how he phrased those lies and I do think that's somewhat relevant. It could be that he was deliberately deceiving them or it could be that he really just was so stressed at the time that he twisted his words around or mussed up the details inadvertently. To me, it's really hard for us to ascertain which actually happened since we don't know exactly how those conversations went (ie how the questions were worded, in what order they were asked, what JW's state of mind was at the time, how exactly he worded his responses...IMO all of those things could be telling but we just don't know)

In the BMW SW:
When Wallace was question about a text he (Wallace) received from Mr. Savopoulos on Wednesday, May 13, 2015, Wallace changed his story. The text was addressed to Wallace and it directed him to meet the accountant on Thursday morning in Hyattsville to pick up the package. Wallace admitted that information was true and he made a mistake about when he was told to get the package.

BBM

LE says JW was mistaken about the text/call, but lied about the other parts of his story.

It looks to me like by the time LE interviewed JW, they already had the phone records. They let him tell his story and then they confronted him with inconsistencies in what they already knew to be true from an unbiased source. I also think they had already spoken with the accountant, had his story confirmed via bank video or employee before they talked to JW. Otherwise, how would they know to question JW's account? How would LE know he'd received that text on Wednesday night if JW wasn't the one to tell them?

ETA: https://www.scribd.com/doc/267776483/Search-Warrant-for-BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member