DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know where in the house the photo and note were found? Was it on a mantel or with Philip? Since the room Philip was found was severely burned almost through the floor, I don't see that photo surviving. Maybe the note was a personal moment in their family and only understood by them. I'm hoping that's the case.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good point

I'm confused by what you are implying. Do you think AS recognized JW breaking in??

I don't believe it was JW and I don't think she would know who DW was........

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"With the photo was a message from her to son: “I love you Philip. You are a wonderful son,” she wrote. And then she continued: “I am going to be just fine.”"

Not on the photo - with.
Prepositions are often ambiguous. Google "vase with inscription" or "book with inscription" and images will be returned of inscribed vases and books. Photos, too, are "inscribed" when accompnied with a note. I think the writer used this inscribed photo as a sentimental, manipulative tactic to evoke emotion in his readers. The sentence structure he used was unnecessarily complex, too, and I believe his writing is causing confusion. Too bad Flaubert's number one fan, Emma VoBerry, is MIA. She used to always contact reporters to clear up such questions.

Prepositions are often ambiguous. Google "vase with inscription" or "book with inscription" and images will be returned of inscribed vases and books. Photos, too, are "inscribed" when accompnied with a note. I think the writer used this inscribed photo as a sentimental, manipulative tactic to evoke emotion in his readers. The sentence structure he used was unnecessarily complex, too, and I believe his writing is causing confusion.

<modsnip>

You asked 'why' and I answered 'why'. I didn't realize it was a rhetorical question. :drumroll: There is no right or wrong answer for that question since we don't know what the writer was trying to convey. The interpretation is in the reader's perception.

The word inscription or inscribed wasn't used.

Example: The photo bore a message, The photo was inscribed, On the photo was a message, Across the photo AS added a message, On the photo. So many ways it could have been written to convey an unambiguous statement. the message was on the photo but, it started as "with the xyz, was an xyz." With your burger, was a pickle. Is that on the burger itself, or on the side, lol.

Do journalism classes, schools or degrees even exist these days?

<modsnip>

The writing is sloppy. There's even a typo.
"Among the dozens of family photographs displayed throughout the house, there was one picture of Amy Savopoulos sitting on a park bench on a sunny day with her young son, according to the official. With the photo was a message from her to son: &#8220;I love you Philip. You are a wonderful son,&#8221; she wrote. And then she continued: &#8220;I am going to be just fine.&#8221;

The preposition is ambiguous to me, because if I wrote on a picture, I might say the note was with the picture if myself referring to it. I used inscribed because I understand it to mean a surface with a note.

ETA yup, we may have to struggle together to figure out what that Post contributor meant with the crappy writing, but we don't have to struggle together to know it IS crappy writing.

F
The problem that I have with there being a crew of helpers there all night is two main things.

One, wouldn't there be other DNA found already? They said they found DW's in several places. Why not anyone else's?

And two, why wouldn't one or two of them fill up a few of the cars with expensive things and go stash them? They'd have all night to do so before anyone would even be looking.

Maybe it was a MA gang initiation for the accomplices. Maybe DDDW took 2 accomplices with no criminal RECORDS, which is why there is no DNA or fingerprint match in the system...that we have been made aware of. They were criminals but hadn't been caught yet. Or maybe the accomplices wore gloves and didn't take them off during the 18 hours of hell.
Perhaps...Young Adult - rings front doorbell selling something or posing as utility worker. It takes VF a while to get to front door as she was upstairs with PS and Amy was not at home. VF answers door and someone crawls in the doggie door and someone else, maybe DDDW kicks in the side French door. The perks hold VF and PS hostage, VF instructed to call AS home for emergency; and then AS calls SS to come home for emergency.

Maybe they did steal jewelry,etc., and take it away. We don't know what was missing...yet. I bet the S family credit cards were used WHILE they were being held hostage...most criminals know they have a short window to use cards before they are flagged stolen.

Maybe DDDW has been a canary in custody like Sweat.

It will be interesting to see what is released today about all the phone records.JMO.

F

Maybe it was a MA gang initiation for the accomplices. Maybe DDDW took 2 accomplices with no criminal RECORDS, which is why there is no DNA or fingerprint match in the system...that we have been made aware of. They were criminals but hadn't been caught yet. Or maybe the accomplices wore gloves and didn't take them off during the 18 hours of hell.
Perhaps...Young Adult - rings front doorbell selling something or posing as utility worker. It takes VF a while to get to front door as she was upstairs with PS and Amy was not at home. VF answers door and someone crawls in the doggie door and someone else, maybe DDDW kicks in the side French door. The perks hold VF and PS hostage, VF instructed to call AS home for emergency; and then AS calls SS to come home for emergency.

Maybe they did steal jewelry,etc., and take it away. We don't know what was missing...yet. I bet the S family credit cards were used WHILE they were being held hostage...most criminals know they have a short window to use cards before they are flagged stolen.

Maybe DDDW has been a canary in custody like Sweat.

It will be interesting to see what is released today about all the phone records.JMO.

If this is a gang initiation...and it could be...then this crime, the details of it, the suffering of these captives should receive just as much media attention and national scrutiny as other terrible incidents that break our hearts. Because if this is a gang initiation, it is not a one-off.

It's hard to imagine rage that lasts all night into the next afternoon. It's hard to imagine a group of humans allowing one of their "associates" to inflict such mental and physical torture on individuals who have done THEM no harm.

Even if two people were fired years ago...the cutting of the women and the pain inflicted on the child, burning a little boy alive in his bed..are we talking about Isis wannabes here? And VF! Certainly VF "fired" no one. She was just a hard working woman. Yet she was spared none of this. To watch, to hear...to wait till they turned to you....

I understand the motives for robbery. I understand the lust for material things. I even understand things that happen in a moment of rage. This was not a "moment." If there were a group of people in that house, they were observing things that, even if done by only one of them...should be things no human can stomach....much less for hours and hours.

If there were a group of people in that house, they amused themselves doing SOMETHING while they heard and watched the sounds of torture. Think of that, were they playing with the families possessions, trying on clothes and jewelry? Raiding the refrigerator? Was it a party?

If there were a group of people in that house and this was an organized "gang" mission, thought out and planned...what do we do with that knowledge? I mean really..what do we do. Because if that's what it is...it will be duplicated other places, other times. It's an "initiation" ...a planned "tradition"..."in with the in crowd." It's not random or one-off.

I can't shrug off what happened to this family and VF as a "simple" burglary. Or a five year old grudge. Every new detail escalates what happened there and escalates the intensity of this crime IMO.

That note. How AS must have tried to comfort her baby boy.

Thank you popsicle for the latest article!

"There were two safes on the Savopoulos property — one in the garage, the other in the house."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...eaa61_story.html?wprss=rss_crime&tid=sm_tw_pl

With Greece's economy in the tank, I wonder how much Savvas trusted American Banks? I wonder how much cash he kept at his disposal in the two safes.

I wonder if Mr. S's sword collection was displayed or kept in one of the safe's. I can just imagine Wint's face lighting up when he saw the swords - he's such a knife person anyway!!! Ugh!

(To Popsicle and Nikki: #FindRelisha. I hope Chief Lanier has not forgotten about her and I don't think she has - the family has been such an obstacle in that debacle.)

Please be careful all our DC friends! Active shooter at the Naval yard AGAIN! 2013 - 12 people murdered.

They tapped up the doggy door?!? That's scary and SICK!! Means they knew about the dogs and attempted to cover that angle

MOD NOTE

Please stop talking about posters. :tyou:

Will this be televised?

Prelim Hearing Today - I just called myfoxdc.com - They said DC does NOT allow televised (guess that nixes live streaming during the trial also? - can someone else verify this perhaps? ). They will have a tweeter reporter who will be there, Marina Marraco.... for those that do tweets and can share with us.

HTH :daisy:

ETA: Don't know if she will be tweeting under her name, or it will come out of what is on their site "Follow us on Twitter: @fox5newsdc "

Also, who here said that they would be going to prelim? (hope ok to ask as post above said not to talk about other posters... think this request is ok though?)

Good question. Could be they surprised him and he "reacted". Possible he was afraid they could identify him. Would make a lot more sense to go to trial for attempted burglary than felony murder, but I'm guessing he didn't think he would get caught.

2 out of the 4 were "lured" back and the two that would have surprised would have been VF and PS.

from baltimore.cbslocal.com

"Thursday&#8217;s hearing will provide Wint&#8217;s new attorney with his first opportunity to question the evidence against his client."

We're looking forward to hearing to hearing *hopefully accurate* reports of evidence and proceedings today!

2 out of the 4 were "lured" back and the two that would have surprised would have been VF and PS.

I agree that they were lured back, though I'm not sure that it was on DW's initiative rather than someone else's. I do think DW committed felony murder if not outright murder but I don't think he was the mastermind. It sounds like he'll be admitting to taking part but in something other than would fall under the felony murder rule, like he agreed to burglarize what he thought would be an empty house with others doing all the violence and luring.

Honestly, putting the money in the red car makes zero sense! He could have put it on a shelf or someplace normal in the garage. There is some reason that was requested or is part of JW's story.

I have the same feeling. I have to think there is a reason why that particular lie was called out in the charging docs. They are just such weird details to lie about. LE must have thought there more significant implications. What those are, no idea!

That doesn't mean all the garage door openers were found in the house.

It seems like for JW to get into the garage he would have needed a garage door opener. (Unless it was already opened.) According to his account, he did close the garage door behind him. Maybe one of those "hit close and run under the door as it closes"? if he didn't take a garage door opener with him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member