DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK. There are a few locals posting here. Based on your comment, I am gonna say you are local. So how long do you say it takes?

It still makes no sense that he could have taken the photo before he got the money. Period. It wasn't a text with no photo...it was the photo was sent, the GF asked how much and he responded. We know he was given $40K which has been verified.

How could he have taken a photo of the cash and answered the correct amount before he got the cash?

He could have somehow been told how much it was...but how could he take a photo? It isn't making any sense.

SPECULATION: It almost makes sense why JW would take a photo of $20,000 and answer $40,000 if the accountant gave him $20,000 at AIW before they went to the bank where JW knew the accountant was going to withdraw $40,000 more. Also, almost explains why JW might think he could keep $20,000 if DW/SS was only expecting $40,000. (If he didn't know about DW, then taking the $20,000 doesn't make sense, because he could assume that SS would know at some point that JW received $60,000 or more total and only delivered $40,000.) Makes JWs various stories make more sense, too, if there was more than one money delivery within an hour. Maybe one was made in a manila envelope, the other deposited into the red lined bag. Wish they told us what was shown on the bank video.

ETA: I'm a local and the time it takes depends on the route and if there are any accidents/construction. Even at 9:45, he could hit the tail end of rush hour, but it would probably be faster than if he had left Hyattsville at 9 am. JMO

Maybe the accountant had some money he had taken from an office safe or a different account, and he gave it to JW before they went into the Bof A, where they took out the 40k?

Darn! I gave up reading in order and started reading last to earlier, and I still missed your post! ITA that could makes sense.

I've been quiet, waiting for new information to come out. What has come out I find highly troubling. In hearing about the $40K that didn't come from the bank that would seem to look very bad for JW being involved in some kind of criminal activity. However, I'm not convinced that LE/DA didn't screw up somewhere, like maybe the phone data files came from a different time zone and they didn't adjust for that, which if they're off on times on the cell phone records, that would alter many things. If the DA can't explain how their witness got a phantom $40K even though they got extra weeks to prepare due to DW changing attorneys, they could be toast where someone even like Ficker could get a hung jury if LE/DA can't explain their own evidence. If I believed LE/DA that the message was sent out at 9 AM, it would look like JW could have gotten a split from some other money - like money from the S family's personal safes at home - but they aren't exactly inspiring confidence right now that what they're saying is accurate. This combined with going in circles as to whether or not there was forced entry and changing the cause of death just makes it look like they don't have it all together and aren't ready for primetime despite the extra weeks they were given.

BBM: I served on a jury where the case included bank drive-up footage. The time stamp for Daylight Savings was never adjusted.

interesting. It may well be that LE already knows that there is no real discrepancy here. But they are just letting the defense pursue this line of thought, because it leads nowhere. LOL

Does anyone know if defense can quote pretrial testimony at the trial? Or can they just use it in that it gives them a sense of what they have to work with?

From Katydid23's earlier post:

For those of us that are chomping at the bit for tomorrow mornings preliminary hearing:

http://www.legalinfo.com/content/cri...y-hearing.html

The preliminary hearing is a step in the criminal case process that typically follows directly after the defendant's arraignment. It is often referred to as the evidentiary hearing, and can be understood as a "trial before the trial."

During a preliminary hearing, the judge will decide whether or not there is substantial evidence to hold a trial. Many states do not require a preliminary hearing unless the defendant is charged with a felony. Also, a preliminary hearing will not be held if a plea bargain is settled upon after the arraignment.

In deciding whether or not there is substantial evidence to hold a trial, the prosecutor and the defendant's attorney will attempt to convince the judge that there is either sufficient or insufficient evidence for a trial to be held. Also, in some states and jurisdictions, a jury may be used to determine whether or not the evidence is sufficient or substantial enough to take the case to trial.

The prosecutor, representing the government, is the one attempting to convince the judge or jury that there is sufficient evidence for a trial, while the defendant's attorney will attempt to prove that there is not enough evidence to hold a trial. The prosecutor will present physical evidence and even call witnesses to testify. The defendant's attorney will cross-examine the witnesses and try to convince the judge otherwise. A preliminary hearing often determines what evidence will be admitted in the trial, if one is to take place.

The prosecution will typically present enough evidence in the preliminary hearing to ensure that the will trial takes place. This strategy will prevent the defense from seeing the prosecution's entire case and evidence before the trial.
If the prosecution cannot present sufficient evidence to take the case to trial, then the charges can be dropped. It is important to note that the preliminary hearing does not determine if the defendant is guilty or not guilty. The judge will simply determine if probable cause can be used in the case. Also, he or she must determine whether or not the crime took place in the court's jurisdiction.

SPECULATION: It almost makes sense why JW would take a photo of $20,000 and answer $40,000 if the accountant gave him $20,000 at AIW before they went to the bank where JW knew the accountant was going to withdraw $40,000 more. Also, almost explains why JW might think he could keep $20,000 if DW/SS was only expecting $40,000. (If he didn't know about DW, then taking the $20,000 doesn't make sense, because he could assume that SS would know at some point that JW received $60,000 or more total and only delivered $40,000.) Makes JWs various stories make more sense, too, if there was more than one money delivery within an hour. Maybe one was made in a manila envelope, the other deposited into the red lined bag. Wish they told us what was shown on the bank video.

ETA: I'm a local and the time it takes depends on the route and if there are any accidents/construction. Even at 9:45, he could hit the tail end of rush hour, but it would probably be faster than if he had left Hyattsville at 9 am. JMO

But then the AIW employee would have told LE that he gave JW $60,000. And that is not at all what the legal documents have said.

But then the AIW employee would have told LE that he gave JW $60,000. And that is not at all what the legal documents have said.

I don't think the legal docs have shown what the accountant said.

I've been quiet, waiting for new information to come out. What has come out I find highly troubling. In hearing about the $40K that didn't come from the bank that would seem to look very bad for JW being involved in some kind of criminal activity. However, I'm not convinced that LE/DA didn't screw up somewhere, like maybe the phone data files came from a different time zone and they didn't adjust for that, which if they're off on times on the cell phone records, that would alter many things. If the DA can't explain how their witness got a phantom $40K even though they got extra weeks to prepare due to DW changing attorneys, they could be toast where someone even like Ficker could get a hung jury if LE/DA can't explain their own evidence. If I believed LE/DA that the message was sent out at 9 AM, it would look like JW could have gotten a split from some other money - like money from the S family's personal safes at home - but they aren't exactly inspiring confidence right now that what they're saying is accurate. This combined with going in circles as to whether or not there was forced entry and changing the cause of death just makes it look like they don't have it all together and aren't ready for primetime despite the extra weeks they were given.

The money may be confusing right now.

But that in no way absolves him of the murder. The money has nothing to do with the murders. He still killed them.

Court Docket Release

07/20/2015 Event Resulted - Release Status: Event Resulted - Release Status: NO BOND

AUSA - Laura Bach, Emily Miller

COURT REPORTER: Loretta Kaczorowski

The following event: Preliminary Hearing scheduled for 07/20/2015 at 11:00 am has been resulted as follows:

Result: Probable Cause Found Held for Grand Jury
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316
DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); ; ARTHUR AGO (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); NATALIE LAWSON (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); Judge RHONDA REID WINSTON
07/20/2015 Event Scheduled
Date: 09/25/2015 Time: 9:45 am
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316
07/20/2015 Form Generated: Prisoner Return Form Generated: Prisoner Return

Prisoner Return
Sent on: 07/20/2015 15:50:57.65

And then again it could be just the opposite. My Dad was a defense attorney and I can say from experience, that if he was throwing out things at a preliminary, and the state shrugged and said they had no answer, that did NOT mean they were telling the truth. Sometimes it just meant they hoped we would pursue that line of defense at the trial because they were able to shoot it down. But they have no need to do so at the hearing. In fact it works against them if they clear it all up for the defense team.

All the state is trying to do is get the defendant held over for trial. And they do so while showing as little of their evidence as possible. They probably know the answer to the timestamp mystery but have no need to divulge it at this time. JMO

They could have learned all of this in May, but just haven't released any of the information to the media/public. There has been virtually no information released since late May/early June. Shoddy police work happens, but at this point I believe the prosecution is following a strategy that includes releasing as little information as possible and letting the defense run off on wild goose chases.

I am a bit surprised that the case was not moved to federal court. Maybe that will happen with PS' murder?

I don't think the legal docs have shown what the accountant said.

Just that he delivered $40,000 wrapped in bundles at the bank. We don't know if there was a cash delivery before that. My mind is blown.

interesting. It may well be that LE already knows that there is no real discrepancy here. But they are just letting the defense pursue this line of thought, because it leads nowhere. LOL

If this is the case, and they already have absolutely cleared JW, they sure are making him "pay" for his lies. A simple answer could have helped spare JW further speculation etc.

Guess they don't want to do that. JW was offering up on numerous "trial balloons" (no pun intended) and LE did not shoot down one of them.

All this just to spring surprises at the real trial? I hope JW can find work between now and then...if he indeed is squeaky clean.

Unless he is one of the "others" that helped Wint that they vaguely mentioned.

In that scenario there would be no stopping to buy a manilla envelope, so I guess one would have just happened to be in the BMW. Not something I tend to have floating around my car, but who knows.

If there were two money deliveries, one at AIW in a manila envelope and one at BoA dropped into JW's red lined bag, maybe JW didn't have to stop for one or already have one in his car. He could just combine the two stories while only admitting to receiving $40,000.

OK. There are a few locals posting here. Based on your comment, I am gonna say you are local. So how long do you say it takes?

It still makes no sense that he could have taken the photo before he got the money. Period. It wasn't a text with no photo...it was the photo was sent, the GF asked how much and he responded. We know he was given $40K which has been verified.

How could he have taken a photo of the cash and answered the correct amount before he got the cash?

He could have somehow been told how much it was...but how could he take a photo? It isn't making any sense.

Along time ago it was discussed here about NG saying the $40,000 was to be used at an auction. A person claiming to be the niece of SS posted online about the $40,000 before it was ever reported in MSM. She said that SS said the money was to be used at an auction. Because of unreliability of both NG and MSM, it is uncertain if the auction was something real or something made up by SS to explain the large withdrawal. Maybe it could be both. Maybe there really was going to be an auction-an auction requiring cash and someone became aware of the cash and wanted to take advantage. Maybe that cash was at AIW. And then SS ordered even more cash trying to stall for time and save his family. Not sure I'm believing that though because NG said JW is the one who told her about the $40,000 and $40,000 is the only figure I've seen thrown out there.

Well, if it's true - and it looks like it could be - that the receipt for the immigration lawyer was for Hanover, why did Hanover say he was contacted by the family saying they "needed help with the DC mansion murder (I hate that title)" ? He even went so far as to claim he didn't know what they were talking about until he looked it up.

Could Hanover be backpedaling the fact that he was already hired by DW before he was arrested? Interesting. I'm still so curious as to why anyone involved in four murders would hire a newly minted lawyer who specializes in immigration.

Good questions. I was thinking that if Hanover knew the money he received from DW was from the murders, he would be in possession of blood money, and he wouldn't want anyone to know he knew that. I find it hard to believe that Hanover hadn't heard anything about the murders and that his new client was the primary suspect. That alone makes me think he was lying. Even if Hanover didn't know when DW initially hired/paid him that the $1100 in cash (seriously?!) was from the murders, he would have had to consider the possibility when DW was arrested on the 21st. His client's face and name were all over the news!

Yes, but, now we're back to HOW did DW get access into the home?

I think he rang the doorbell. I have always thought he came in through the front door. Quieter and faster. The S family's yard was a good size, but kicking in a door in broad daylight is more likely to be noticed than someone knocking at the front door. I think any violence happened inside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1