DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If this is the case, and they already have absolutely cleared JW, they sure are making him "pay" for his lies. A simple answer could have helped spare JW further speculation etc.

Guess they don't want to do that. JW was offering up on numerous "trial balloons" (no pun intended) and LE did not shoot down one of them.

All this just to spring surprises at the real trial? I hope JW can find work between now and then...if he indeed is squeaky clean.

Unless he is one of the "others" that helped Wint that they vaguely mentioned.

But the DA's main goal is to put DW away for murder. JW is very low on the totem pole at this point, unless he is a prime suspect. And who knows--maybe he is still under suspicion.

But even if they have cleared him, they would not say so at this point. It is better for them if the defense takes that theory and runs with it. Then the state can show they investigated him fully, and he was on video at Lowes and back at the dojo, and they can show his cell ping map and call logs and clear him in front of the jury, making the defense team look silly. JMO

were the witnesses (detectives) under oath at this preliminary hearing?

A second benefit is that the defense can lay the groundwork for the future impeachment of witnesses. If a witness gives helpful testimony to the defense at the preliminary hearing, but then backs away from that position at trial, the defense can use the prior, under-oath testimony to show how the witness has changed her story.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/topic/Preliminary_Hearing.aspx

How about the possibility that JW's phone was set one hour fast? Naah, too easy.

Maybe JW's phone was set on regular time, rather than DST (daylight saving time).
IIRC on May 3, JW was in Phoenix Arizona with PS at the Go-Kart races. Arizona doesn't observe DST, so perhaps JW didn't set his phone back to DST when he arrived back home from the trip to Arizona?
DST is one hour later (spring ahead!), so JW's phone would have said 9:00 a.m. when the real time (DST) was actually 10:00 a.m.

I think it is likely that they meant it was taken 45 minutes before he DELIVERED it. But that is just my take on the situation. How could he take a photo of the money before he got it? LOL!!
OMG - time travel! There goes his alibi!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

But then the AIW employee would have told LE that he gave JW $60,000. And that is not at all what the legal documents have said.

The docs/SWs only have to state bare minimum info. A lot has been left out, IMO. And everything is qualified by the terminology of "witness states". Not that the testimony has been verified as truthful. Just going by what "witness states".

The money may be confusing right now.

But that in no way absolves him of the murder. The money has nothing to do with the murders. He still killed them.

You seem to not be grasping what I'm getting at. If the prosecution doesn't hold up well in court, you don't get a murder conviction irrespective of actual guilt. I don't for instance think OJ amongst others got off because he was innocent, which was why I was talking about the prosecution not being ready for primetime rather than DW being innocent and I certainly said nothing about anyone being absolved.

Court Docket Release

07/20/2015 Event Resulted - Release Status: Event Resulted - Release Status: NO BOND

AUSA - Laura Bach, Emily Miller

COURT REPORTER: Loretta Kaczorowski

The following event: Preliminary Hearing scheduled for 07/20/2015 at 11:00 am has been resulted as follows:

Result: Probable Cause Found Held for Grand Jury
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316
DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); ; ARTHUR AGO (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); NATALIE LAWSON (Attorney) on behalf of DARON D WINT (Defendant (Criminal)); Judge RHONDA REID WINSTON
07/20/2015 Event Scheduled
Date: 09/25/2015 Time: 9:45 am
Judge: REID WINSTON, RHONDA Location: Courtroom 316
07/20/2015 Form Generated: Prisoner Return Form Generated: Prisoner Return

Prisoner Return
Sent on: 07/20/2015 15:50:57.65

Well, I guess this gives us over 2 months to discuss whether the camera was set to the right time, whether somebody misspoke, whether JW got $40K or $60K, whether the phones registered the correct time, etc. :tantrum::maddening::doh:

Ago questioned Owens regarding a text message that Wallace sent his girlfriend at 9 a.m. on May 14. In that text message, Wallace took a picture of the cash inside a red-lined bookbag. But according to a bank video, Wallace did not obtain the cash until around 9:45 a.m. leaving Ago to question how it was possible for Wallace to send a picture of the money if he did not receive it until 45 minutes later. “I don’t know,”Owens said.

WAPO..http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

Bookbag !!!

If there were two money deliveries, one at AIW in a manila envelope and one at BoA dropped into JW's red lined bag, maybe JW didn't have to stop for one or already have one in his car. He could just combine the two stories while only admitting to receiving $40,000.

Now *that* is an interesting theory.

If there were two money deliveries, one at AIW in a manila envelope and one at BoA dropped into JW's red lined bag, maybe JW didn't have to stop for one or already have one in his car. He could just combine the two stories while only admitting to receiving $40,000.

Why would he admit to only receiving $40K if he knew he received $60K, which the AIW employee would verify? Plus, he said the amount in the text was $40K - not $20K or $60K.

I am pretty sure that in the charging documents it is stated that the AIW employee gave him $40K.

How else would LE know how much to look for? They certainly weren't taking JW's word for it, when the pointed out his photo was of $20K but stated $40K.

Seems like while this hearing didn't really reveal anything concrete, going back down the rabbit hole on the amount of money is silly. But then I haven't been discussing this case for the last month with no information. Maybe y'all have discovered something I don't know about.

And then again it could be just the opposite. My Dad was a defense attorney and I can say from experience, that if he was throwing out things at a preliminary, and the state shrugged and said they had no answer, that did NOT mean they were telling the truth. Sometimes it just meant they hoped we would pursue that line of defense at the trial because they were able to shoot it down. But they have no need to do so at the hearing. In fact it works against them if they clear it all up for the defense team.

All the state is trying to do is get the defendant held over for trial. And they do so while showing as little of their evidence as possible. They probably know the answer to the timestamp mystery but have no need to divulge it at this time. JMO

Just curious -- if the officer knew why because the investigation had uncovered the reason and said, "I don't know," would that be considered a lie under oath?

You seem to not be grasping what I'm getting at. If the prosecution doesn't hold up well in court, you don't get a murder conviction irrespective of actual guilt. I don't for instance think OJ amongst others got off because he was innocent, which was why I was talking about the prosecution not being ready for primetime rather than DW being innocent and I certainly said nothing about anyone being absolved.

Why are we assuming that the prosecution team won't hold up well in court?

If this is the case, and they already have absolutely cleared JW, they sure are making him "pay" for his lies. A simple answer could have helped spare JW further speculation etc.

Guess they don't want to do that. JW was offering up on numerous "trial balloons" (no pun intended) and LE did not shoot down one of them.

All this just to spring surprises at the real trial? I hope JW can find work between now and then...if he indeed is squeaky clean.

Unless he is one of the "others" that helped Wint that they vaguely mentioned.

Maybe, if JW's been cleared of anything to do with this, LE is just letting the defense run with their plan to blame JW (and that plan only it appears) into trial and then WHAMMO! :burn: *evil laugh*

:hilarious: :eek:ddsmiley:

I was looking for smiley of "pulling the rug out"

Just an aside and I'd have a problem with this no matter who the subject: LE being quoted as saying someone "lied during the course of the investigation" without explaining that it may have been within a single 2 hour session or over the course of two months. It's kind of like MSM semantics.

And my point is that irregardless if he is found guilty of extortion, he WILL be found guilty of murder based on evidence. Do I care if he gets away with extortion because the evidence isn't clear?

NOPE! Not worried about that, at all. Let the jury say not guilty to that. No skin off my nose!

The evidence that he held the family captive and killed them is there. And that is what matters to me.

This one might give me reason to pause.

What time was Figueroa scheduled to leave for the day?

If the security system detected glass breakage, why wasn't LE automatically alerted?

One way to explain it would be that the alarm system had been disarmed and Wint was in the house at 5:56 and someone slammed a door really hard or actually broke something when SS got home -- maybe part of a struggle, maybe someone (maybe Wint) throwing something like a vase? My glass break detector will sometimes detect a door slam if it's loud enough, and unless the alarm system is armed, it will not send a signal to the monitoring station, even though the system will chirp.

Just curious -- if the officer knew why because the investigation had uncovered the reason and said, "I don't know," would that be considered a lie under oath?

I don't think so. It's pushing the envelope for sure. But is it perjury to say ' I don't know' to a question by the opposing counsel, if it is a line of questioning that you do not want to go into at that time? I don't think it would be considered perjury. JMO

But what time did AS call for her husband to return home? Wasn't that before 6 pm? And why would VF still be there at 6 pm?

IIRC, but I thought the call to SS from AS was at 5:30. Maybe it had nothing whatsoever to do with what happened. I have called my husband at work to say "hey when are you leaving" or "can you please leave soon I need you" (admittedly even "we have run out of xyz can you please pick some up on your way home"). I think the thing about VF leaving always by 3 came from NG. I will keep my opinions to myself on NG.

But these are just my opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member