DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this means that Owens said the text was actually at 9:57 or if the prosecutor said it. I thought Owens was quoted as saying "I don't know" when asked how the text could have been sent at 9:00 am when JW wasn't seen on the bank video until 9:45. It's really hard when we have to rely on reporters to give us the story when they've done a pretty abysmal job of relaying the facts accurately in this case. Following this case has made me much less trusting of the media's accuracy in general. :(

I think it's pretty clear Owens didn't know and prosecutor had to correct him.

My brain just keeps going back to the fact how could SS w all his martial arts training not have done something ...thrashed DW or sent him a judo kick .....texted help or said help in his messages or give any indication something amiss--SS must have seriously believed if he carried out all DW requests he would have saved his family. The entire thing is so unconscionable to me. That is why in my mind I HAVE BELIEVE there was someone else in the house with DW.

Two things. First, he specialized in a sword technique, not a hand to hand art. Second, martial arts tend to be highly structured, rule based sports that are of limited use in a street fight. For proof of this, watch some of the cage fighting tournaments. The traditional martial artists tend to lose very quickly.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

BBM

I don't think we can assume that the investigator did not know what time the text was actually sent, just because he answered that question with 'IDK.' The 'I Don't Know' answer is used to shut down the defense if the line of inquiry is something the state does not want to get trapped into during the preliminary hearing. Their goal is to give as little info as possible, answer as few questions as possible, so they are not hemmed up by their testimony later on in the trial. So IDK is sometimes a strategic answer, not a ' we are too dumb to know' answer, imo.

So I disagree that they always try to be as accurate as possible in the preliminary in that they are also trying to hold a lot of things close to the vest. So when an 'uninformed' defense attorney says " How did JW text at 9 am when he didn't even get the cash yet?" ----the investigator is NOT going to go out of his way to correct their mistake. he just shrugs and says ' IDK'---Because if he answers and says the text was actually at this time, it opens the door for the defense to keep going further down that road, and asking for more verification and evidence from the state. The investigator would rather shrug and shut it down.

Then later in the hearing the state has their own chance to clarify, which they did.

I understand what you're saying. I think the part that throws me is that if the prosecution (prosecutor?) wanted to avoid going down that road, why would he then bring it up to clarify later in the prelim? Why not leave the investigator's testimony as it was and worry about explaining the discrepancy in the trial?

I think it's pretty clear Owens didn't know and prosecutor had to correct him.

The prosecutor cleared it up on redirect. IMO phone records will show the text happened exactly as the prosecutor brought out in testimony today, at 9:57am.
The bank transaction was on video 9:40. Pic taken at 9:57, package delivered at 10:26
JMO

"The prosecution said the text actually came after the bank pick up, at 9:57. It noted that the text said, "my job is insane, don't tell anyone," which they said indicated that Wallace was surprised about what he was being asked to transport."

I don't know if this means that Owens said the text was actually at 9:57 or if the prosecutor said it. I thought Owens was quoted as saying "I don't know" when asked how the text could have been sent at 9:00 am when JW wasn't seen on the bank video until 9:45. It's really hard when we have to rely on reporters to give us the story when they've done a pretty abysmal job of relaying the facts accurately in this case. Following this case has made me much less trusting of the media's accuracy in general. :(

I understand and you're right about being skeptical, it's good to sift through the evidence.

I think you missed some earlier about the communication today. Even though the hearing started at 11am there was about an hour lag in tweets coming from the courtroom.

Photography, video-recording, and audio-recording are prohibited within the District of Columbia Courts. Prohibited photography, video-recording, and audio-recording includes cellular telephones and other electronic devices, such as personal assistant devices or palm notepads with built-in features enabling the device to take photographs, or make audio- or video- recordings.

All persons entering the courthouse with a camera or recording device will be asked to leave it with the Court Security Officer.

http://www.dccourts.gov/internet/globalcontentlocator.jsf

So during a break we started getting tweets about some testimony (of course from reporters memory and notes)

Court resumes after lunch

We start getting more info from notes and memory of reporters. The rest of the day blew up in media and we're left to sort it out best we can.

The prosecutor cleared it up on redirect. IMO phone records will show the text happened exactly as the prosecutor brought out in testimony today, at 9:57am.
The bank transaction was on video 9:40. Pic taken at 9:57, package delivered at 10:26
JMO

Exactly. 9 am for the photo of the money never made sense anyway, because bank opens at 9 am. This timeline makes a lot more sense.

"Wallace allegedly returned to the scene of the crime and said his car was parked inside police tape. The detective said that indicated he was there before the tape went up and came hours later. "

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detectiv...ere-strangled/

Sounds like he parked....and showed up again hours later.

If he was there long enough to get his car behind the tape after the fire...how did he leave and come back "hours later."

It could mean the car was parked there before the crime and he showed up hours later.

I don't think we know for sure. But it's an interesting comment.

Perhaps, after seeing bodies removed from the house, he was so upset he didn't think he could/should drive and left for awhile some other way (walked, metro, called friend), then returned for his car later when he was less upset. Just a possibility.

Perhaps, after seeing bodies removed from the house, he was so upset he didn't think he could/should drive and left for awhile some other way (walked, metro, called friend), then returned for his car later when he was less upset. Just a possibility.

Not sure if it's true but going off memory from a newer poster who stated JW had taken an uber from the area. I have no idea of truth, I've never seen or heard that from LE or MSM sooo I guess we'll hear one day. Not said toward any truth, just rumor.

I understand what you're saying. I think the part that throws me is that if the prosecution (prosecutor?) wanted to avoid going down that road, why would he then bring it up to clarify later in the prelim? Why not leave the investigator's testimony as it was and worry about explaining the discrepancy in the trial?

Because it is the prosecutors call, not the detectives. I think the detective just shrugged and said IDK because he did not want to be taken down a road that he was not prepped for. The defense just pulled it out of the blue so he shut it down. He did not want to say something specific that he would have to explain or justify in trial.

Then later the prosecutor decided to clarify. JMO

What's weird to me is that our security company requires the customer make up a hostage code. Obviously, if a perp sets off an alarm, he would force the victim to lie when they call to check. So in addition to the personal code you have, you also have a hostage code. The perp won't know the difference and you just give them the latter and they say "Thanks" but send the police.

This was supposed to be a very sophisticated alarm system from a company in a large metropolis.

Another odd detail.

Maybe she was so frightened she couldn't remember the hostage code and automatically gave the regular one. They may have set up that code years before, and since it was never used it would be hard to remember, especially under stress.

Not sure if it's true but going off memory from a newer poster who stated JW had taken an uber from the area. I have no idea of truth, I've never seen or heard that from LE or MSM sooo I guess we'll hear one day. Not said toward any truth, just rumor.

It's not that I am being lazy, but I was at work all day and trying to go back through all the posts, but too many interesting new ones keep coming in. I am curious what people are getting at it terms of JW's car being within the tape. Does that mean that he might have had another mode of transportation to and from Lowes in Chantilly? Or another implication?

36 minutes delivery time (9:50 text and 10:26 text) correlates with time estimate for that time of day according to Google Maps.

Finally, BellaVita, people are believing your research! (I did before, btw.)

It's not that I am being lazy, but I was at work all day and trying to go back through all the posts, but too many interesting new ones keep coming in. I am curious what people are getting at it terms of JW's car being within the tape. Does that mean that he might have had another mode of transportation to and from Lowes in Chantilly? Or another implication?

Well, I've previously worked a few homicide investigations for tv news as a photojournalist so let me give you my experiences.

In the newsroom we'd overhear a dead body call on the scanner and send someone out to investigate. It was my job to figure out if it was a homicide or suicide. If LE thinks it's homicide, LE would have crime scene tape sealing off a larger area to keep people like me and general public from getting closer. It also keeps the crime scene sterile for evidence reasons. Nobody but LE is allowed to cross a taped off crime scene investigation.

So JW would not be allowed to retrieve his car until LE approved. I have no idea what or where JW went after he arrived and parked in that location.

Well, I've previously worked a few homicide investigations for tv news as a photojournalist so let me give you my experiences.

In the newsroom we'd overhear a dead body call on the scanner and send someone out to investigate. It was my job to figure out if it was a homicide or suicide. If LE thinks it's homicide, LE would have crime scene tape sealing off a larger area to keep people like me and general public from getting closer. It also keeps the crime scene sterile for evidence reasons. Nobody but LE is allowed to cross a taped off crime scene investigation.

So JW would not be allowed to retrieve his car until LE approved. I have no idea what or where JW went after he arrived and parked in that location.

No offense, I get that part of it. I just don't understand yet how it pertains to JW's timeline. Perhaps no one does yet. Thx.

Oh, that actually made me laugh out loud when I read it. I hadn't heard that before. If his own brother threw DW under the bus, I don't know what's going on.

This article also quotes Owens as saying LE believes more people were involved. *sigh* here we go again.

"In arguing that authorities had not established probable cause, Wint's public defender, Arthur Ago, cited a lack of physical evidence linking Wint to the crime other than the DNA from the vest and from a pizza crust at the scene. Ago characterized that DNA evidence as "weak." "

Pitiful and desperate to be focusing on the SS's assistant.

Trying too hard to deflect, but there's nowhere for them to turn.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/2...pect-to-slayings-dc-family/?intcmp=latestnews

Maybe she was so frightened she couldn't remember the hostage code and automatically gave the regular one. They may have set up that code years before, and since it was never used it would be hard to remember, especially under stress.

My friends parents were victims of a home invasion. They were not killed, thank goodness, but her father was pistol whipped and he is 80 yrs old. GRRRRRRRR

But anyway, the 2 men that followed them home from the market, asked them for the alarm code, and did not let them punch it themselves. And the guy with a gun to the wife's head said " And Do not give me the hostage code or I will shoot you both when the cops arrive." :eek: So they gave him the regular deactivation code out of fear.

I'm not sure I know mine, but I'm also not sure the S family had their alarm set during the day, which would be inconvenient if there were comings and goings.

It sounds to me that detective Owens didn't know what time the text was actually send, defense jumped on it, and prosecution had to correct it.

He probably did not know the exact time of the text, offhand. But he did know that what the defense was saying was incorrect. He KNEW that JW did not take a pic of the money 45 minutes BEFORE the banker released it. LOL

That much he knew. But he shrugged it off, imo. Because at that moment on the stand he did not have the exact time by memory. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz