DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, none of this is making sense. If he didn't get the money until 9:50, how did he deliver it at 10:20 when everyone has said it takes at least 45 - 60 minutes to get to the house from where he was?

Only thing I can think of is that somehow, the time stamp on the bank video is wrong. I dunno. This is strange.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear what you are saying. However, I am not sure if he thought he was going to torch the house when the pizza was being eaten (or not) that night? Maybe not. And now we have heard from two separate attorneys with no relation to each other that the pizza with DW DNA was outside of the home. I am just looking at the info and trying to make sense of it!
I'm not so sure they said it was outside the house. The first was Ficker and he was not anyone's attorney. He was only an opinion stater on network news. The second was the PDA and my hunch was that he just repeated what Ficker said. I believe they said police found the pizza in the trash.

<modsnip>

I am reading the affidavit itself which states: "Detectives interviewed a witness, hereafter referred to as W2 which stated IT received a text from W1 on Thursday, May 14, 2015 at approximately 9:00 am. W2 opened the text for detectives to view. The text contained dialogue and photos of a red lined bag with what appeared to be two bundles of cash, one of which had visibly displayed a white money wrap."
BBM

https://www.scribd.com/doc/266278174/Daron-Dylon-Wint-Charging-Documents

LE was not just going on W2's recollection. W2 actually opened the text for LE to view, which would have included the time of the text. They would have also seen the text on JW's phone, unless he had erased it. Regardless, the time of that text would have shown up in the phone records. I'm assuming the investigators are the ones who would have reviewed the phone records, so if the text was sent at 9:57, when Owens was asked about the 9:00 am text, he could have simply replied that the time given in the affidavit was approximate, and the actual time was 9:57. Instead he said "I don't know" which makes me think he was not aware that the time of the text was off by about an hour from what was stated in the affidavit.

LE wrote the 9 am time over and over again in SW and other docs, so if it's incorrect, that proves that just because something is written over and over doesn't mean it is accurate. MSM has gotten so much wrong in this case that I don't feel confident they have this detail right, yet. Could someone direct me to a link where LE says the text containing the photo of the money was sent at 9:57 am? TIA.

Same here. But I wonder if something were to happen to me during the day, would the alarm company be able to provide LE with info on when I opened/closed my doors/windows even if my alarm wasn't armed.

Mine can. I can log in via my phone or computer and see a list of anything that happens -- this door opened, that window closed, the glass break was set off, etc. etc., as long as I have my list of zones handy. IDK if that's the case with the SS family, but since we know they also had a system that could be activated and deactivated remotely, I assume they have something similar.

I like to assume because I'm an a$$ anyway, so no loss here.

I assume that the member (take that as you like, lol) would have DNA on file after so many criminal arrests over the years.

I used to have a chemistry teacher who would say "To assume makes an a$$ with u and me."

Also, I was an Econ major, so assuming is a big part of the course work...

I don't recall seeing this in any of the documents that have been released -- anyone else know which document it came from?

Savvas Savopoulos had been in Chantilly that day to help prepare for the opening of a martial arts studio, according to police documents. One longtime American Iron Works employee told police that he last saw Savvas Savopoulos at the studio about 6 p.m. May 13, according to police documents.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

Also interesting that the Washington Post didn't mention the 9:57 comment. Wish we had something beyond just that one CBS post as a source (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detective-2-d-c-mansion-murder-victims-were-strangled/). Anyone find a second article mentioning the 9:57 text?

I remember hearing a recording of a firefighter saying from within the house that it was going to be a crime scene. I think that was before they even removed the three adults. I still don't have a sense of the width of the crime scene perimeter, but assumed it wouldn't extend as far away as it was necessary for JW to park while the fire was still being fought. Those trucks take up a lot of room and they usually don't want you driving up anywhere near them! Obviously, if he parked after returning from VA, my assumption was a bad one.
I remember the recording you mentioned. It was before bodies were removed and likely before the attempt to rescue Vera. I tried to reconstruct the process from photos and screen grabs of the fire coverage. They were pretty well into the firefighting and news cameras were filming the blaze. Lots of fire equipment but no police visible. First tape was put up in front of the house but news cameras were not moved back yet. Eventually tape was put up all the way back to the cross streets a block away on both 31st and Woodland and reporters were moved beyond the tape. Unfortunately there are not time stamps on any of the photos. Could JW have arrived before the wide perimeter was established? Maybe? I was not able to find his BMW in any of the photos.

BUT why does it matter? The entire purpose of the SW is to get the judge to approve a search. It does not matter if the call is closer to 10 than to 9, for the purposes of the affidavit. So why the big deal?

Since it's new information to me that JW and the accountant were at the bank at 9:45/9:50, if the text of $20,000 was sent at 9:00 am (as we've believed from the docs all along) it opens the possibility that the photo of the money was not of the $40,000 withdrawn from the bank. JW's lies never made sense and taking a photo of $20K when you could photograph $40K never made sense to me. But if the accountant gave him a manila envelope when JW arrived at AIW and then JW overheard him making arrangements over the phone for the $40,000 they were to pick up at the bank, all JW's stories about receiving the money could be true, in a mixed up kind of way. IF JW took a photo of $20,000 at 9 am, what was going on between then and JW and the accountant's arrival at BoA?

It has no bearing on the SW or whether DW is guilty as sin, but if the affidavit is incorrect and the investigator wasn't aware of this until today's hearing, it certainly brings into question LE's attention to detail. Anything said in the prelim can be used in the trial, so it matters if the investigator's testimony is wrong. If the times are correct, it opens up other possibilities to how much money SS was able to put together at the last minute, whether the $40,000 was prearranged for the dojo or part of the ransom (before I always assumed it was straight out ransom), and whether JW could have been involved in the crime or skimming some of the money.

For holding DW over for trial, 9:00 vs 9:57 doesn't matter. But as it relates to LE's accuracy in the investigation and the possibility that stuff happened of which LE is aware but we are not, it makes a big difference. That LE reiterated in today's prelim that they still think DW had help means to me that they haven't changed their mind on that point. They must have evidence that makes them believe that even if they haven't shared it with the public. Either the 9:00/9:57 statement is a big mistake or it's a chink in the armor of this iron-clad investigation. They may have inadvertently shown us something that indicates the case is not what it seems.

Also, there's this: "The suspect in the murders of four people inside a Washington, D.C., mansion could not have acted alone, according to a detective who was questioned for hours Monday during a court hearing in the case."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detective-2-d-c-mansion-murder-victims-were-strangled/

"Police have said in court papers that they think others may have been involved in the crime. However, Owens testified that police so far have not recovered any evidence linking anyone else to the slayings. The detective added that authorities were still poring over “more than a hundred” pieces of evidence."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...31d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html

<modsnip>

I am reading the affidavit itself which states: "Detectives interviewed a witness, hereafter referred to as W2 which stated IT received a text from W1 on Thursday, May 14, 2015 at approximately 9:00 am. W2 opened the text for detectives to view. The text contained dialogue and photos of a red lined bag with what appeared to be two bundles of cash, one of which had visibly displayed a white money wrap."
BBM

https://www.scribd.com/doc/266278174/Daron-Dylon-Wint-Charging-Documents

LE was not just going on W2's recollection. W2 actually opened the text for LE to view, which would have included the time of the text. They would have also seen the text on JW's phone, unless he had erased it. Regardless, the time of that text would have shown up in the phone records. I'm assuming the investigators are the ones who would have reviewed the phone records, so if the text was sent at 9:57, when Owens was asked about the 9:00 am text, he could have simply replied that the time given in the affidavit was approximate, and the actual time was 9:57. Instead he said "I don't know" which makes me think he was not aware that the time of the text was off by about an hour from what was stated in the affidavit.

LE wrote the 9 am time over and over again in SW and other docs, so if it's incorrect, that proves that just because something is written over and over doesn't mean it is accurate. MSM has gotten so much wrong in this case that I don't feel confident they have this detail right, yet. Could someone direct me to a link where LE says the text containing the photo of the money was sent at 9:57 am? TIA.

She opened the text for them to view, but they don't say what time the text was sent. Approximately 9 am is based on recollection of W2. They don't give exact time, and they don't say what time the text was actually sent.

BUT why does it matter? The entire purpose of the SW is to get the judge to approve a search. It does not matter if the call is closer to 10 than to 9, for the purposes of the affidavit. So why the big deal?

LOL, it matters to me because, oh... does this mean that LE lied in the SW or was it a misspeak, did they misunderstand something?

I lol, but seriously. If JW lied, so did LE? :drumroll:

I don't get it either. They had the info from W2 and they would have asked to see her phone (for sure they would!) and should have logged the time on the msg, and they stated that JW provided them his phone, too, so they should have logged the time directly from that.

They must have an accurate timeline regarding all the phone calls and texts. What time did JW call SS with 10 minute warning, for example.

Did LE provide the defense with outdated information on purpose or is it just that the mistake in time was never discovered or was it discovered and left uncorrected or was there no amendment of any sort to accurately reflect the day?

argh.

I don't recall seeing this in any of the documents that have been released -- anyone else know which document it came from?

Also interesting that the Washington Post didn't mention the 9:57 comment. Wish we had something beyond just that one CBS post as a source (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/detective-2-d-c-mansion-murder-victims-were-strangled/). Anyone find a second article mentioning the 9:57 text?
This is often used by reporters who have insider police contacts who remain anonymous. That way they don't have to reveal that
Sgt O'Malley showed me his notes and he's not supposed to talk to reporters. They are not talking about documents that have been released to the public.

This is often used by reporters who have insider police contacts who remain anonymous. That way they don't have to reveal that
Sgt O'Malley showed me his notes and he's not supposed to talk to reporters. They are not talking about documents that have been released to the public.

Interesting. A 6:00 departure time for SS is new, today. Previously, the time reported was 5:30 (by NG). I wonder what time that would have gotten him home. I would imagine it was still rush hour at 6.

"Police have said in court papers that they think others may have been involved in the crime. However, Owens testified that police so far have not recovered any evidence linking anyone else to the slayings. The detective added that authorities were still poring over &#8220;more than a hundred&#8221; pieces of evidence."

More than a hundred? Gees, they have an army of investigators with a month and a half to go over that. I hope they have a lot more than that. Once again an open ended answer. How much more than a hundred? ten? two hundred? a thousand?

He's a magic man, mama, aahhhhh, he's a magic man. :D

Seriously, what time did JW call SS for the 10 minute warning?

Today's hearing just messed me up in the timeline. argh.

He stated he called at 10:10 AM. I don't think it was ever given as an objective fact in the docs by LE (IIRC).

It seems there has to be a way to coordinate information so that it's easier to be accurate.

I understand, when taking a witness statement, the need to actually take their words down. BUT, there needs to be an amendment or something/anything that can be related to each fact.

EX: W2 stated text with picture received at approx. 9:00 with maybe a footnote number. Then, there's another file with the same numbers that contains either corroboration of that fact, or whatever LE has discovered to be true. Then, at some point, all documents are pulled together in a single document for the prosecutor. Something for easy reference. Maybe something like that already exists, does anybody know? But if it exists, would it be given to defense, or would they be expected to do their own investigating?

There is just too much confusion after today. We hoped some things would be cleared up, maybe some things were; I'm more confused than before.

This one might give me reason to pause.

What time was Figueroa scheduled to leave for the day?

If the security system detected glass breakage, why wasn't LE automatically alerted?

Glass breaking at 5:56... and smh smh this was one more signal ...

:pullhair: so many signs and signals and not one dayum one was caught until the fire .

How how how tragic is this case . One which will not have any electronics from court to follow

Interesting. A 6:00 departure time for SS is new, today. Previously, the time reported was 5:30 (by NG). I wonder what time that would have gotten him home. I would imagine it was still rush hour at 6.
First, I would not enjoy that commute but I imagine at least an hour in 6 pm traffic from Chantilly to the middle of DC.

Yes indeedy. But I think if the text was sent at 9:57, the affidavit would have said "approximately 10 am". It's not even close to 9 am. That's like saying a book costs approximately $9, but it really costs $9.85.

Weren't there a series of texts? Is this for sure the money pic that was sent at 9:57? Or was it one in the thread of dialogue between JW and W2? Nothing in the docs reported timing on the rest of the text dialogue.

One way to explain it would be that the alarm system had been disarmed and Wint was in the house at 5:56 and someone slammed a door really hard or actually broke something when SS got home -- maybe part of a struggle, maybe someone (maybe Wint) throwing something like a vase? My glass break detector will sometimes detect a door slam if it's loud enough, and unless the alarm system is armed, it will not send a signal to the monitoring station, even though the system will chirp.

Huh ? Alarm disarmed in first part

..then armed later ?

Not following logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads