DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How long have you been reading here? It has been discussed and explained that this latino/knives/landscaper comment was NOT made by a member here but rather was made by a (retired?) LE expert who was being interviewed. When there are few clues, the profilers always speculate about the perpetrator. The FACTS here were that the little boy was stabbed (maybe the others, too?) - there is a history of correlation between knife related murders and certain nationalities...there were landscapers working in the yard the day of the murders. Now we know the killer was a black male, not latino, not a landscaper - but it is not uncommon for profilers to make these kinds of statements and is in NO WAY a racial or ethnic slur.

BBM

This one has me a bit confused. Couldn't DDW be considered both? He is a black male from a latino country (Guyana, South America)

F
This comment was made by a member here:
ETA: It began w/post #952 from the last thread:

MyBelle
MyBelle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Very interesting insights. Someone of latin descent would use a knife also knew gasoline was in the garage. Sounds like a landscaper to me.
Our landscapers never enter our garage. They haul and use their own equipment and gas.
+++++
That may have started out as some former FBI guy's quote, but it quickly became the opinion of some here at WS. I appreciate the fact that many here have good and pure motives, but do you really not hear what you're saying, when you just throw out there that a person of latino descent is probably a "housekeeper/landscaper/undocumented"?

All 3 were mentioned/implied on this thread. Someone mentioned that perhaps the slain housekeeper's spouse didn't alert authorities because he was "undocumented".

Lastly, suggesting that, "if you don't like the posts, don't read here" is just a mean and unnecessary thing to say.

You are missing some context here. Part of the information being discussed was that there was a landscaping crew there that day.

Then someone posted a video of a detective (a minority himself) discussing the fact that the nortorious M-13 gang is from El Salvador (the home country of one of the maids.) he said their weapon of choice was knives.

All this poster tried to know was knit together various threads of evidence.

I read an article about the (mostly white) motorcycle gang in that deadly Texas brawl. They are known for using chains in fights. I did not feel the profiler was insinuating that my son used chains or that all whites have affiliation with motorcycle gangs.

A wonderful Hispanic lady was brutalized by this beast. We put all our lives in danger when we have to shut up for fear of offending someone, somehow. If white Bikers are known for using chains to beat their victims, or Latino gangs mostly use knives...those are just facts, not slurs.

I'm sure no one wished to hurt your feelings. Evil has no color or ethnicity.

I think they will have this guy in custody very quickly. There is a reward out for his arrest and he is easy to identify...I just hope he does not torture and kill someone else in his quest to not be discovered while on the run. He is an extremely dangerous person!

I don't think it brings much comfort to anyone because he worked for AIW at one time or another.

All that means is it could also happen to any of us whether it is someone we have worked with in the past or someone who has worked for us.

The thought this could happen to this loving and decent family shows me this could happen anywhere anyplace no matter who we are or how safe we may feel in our neighborhood.

We never know who may be sizing us up or casing our place out to invade. They could be people we have hired or they could be total strangers. We are living in a very dangerous world now for all of us.

IMO

This comment was made by a member here:
ETA: It began w/post #952 from the last thread:

MyBelle
MyBelle is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
Very interesting insights. Someone of latin descent would use a knife also knew gasoline was in the garage. Sounds like a landscaper to me.
Our landscapers never enter our garage. They haul and use their own equipment and gas.
+++++
That may have started out as some former FBI guy's quote, but it quickly became the opinion of some here at WS. I appreciate the fact that many here have good and pure motives, but do you really not hear what you're saying, when you just throw out there that a person of latino descent is probably a "housekeeper/landscaper/undocumented"?

All 3 were mentioned/implied on this thread. Someone mentioned that perhaps the slain housekeeper's spouse didn't alert authorities because he was "undocumented".

Lastly, suggesting that, "if you don't like the posts, don't read here" is just a mean and unnecessary thing to say.

This is an opinion forum and if you are going to make accusations, I suggest you learn to post correctly and not draw the rest of us into it. My only contribution to that was: "Our landscapers never enter our garage. They haul and use their own equipment and gas."

JMO

Just to clarify, Chief Lanier said that DW was associated with SS through one of his businesses. Unless there is a link of her being specific, we can't assume it was the ironworks. He was also a lawyer, hedge fund entrepanuer, and was opening the MMA studio. I'll wait til I hear "officially" that it was the Ironworks.

Police believe the man suspected of brutally murdering a family and their housekeeper in Washington, DC, last week is in Brooklyn — because his Big Apple girlfriend told authorities he’d been staying with her, The Post has learned.

Daron Dylon Wint’s Brooklyn girlfriend called the authorities, claiming that he was with her but heading back to Washington, DC, to turn himself in, a law enforcement source told The Post.

The source added that her claims that he’s prepared to turn himself over to the police could be nothing more than a diversion.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/suspect-in-dc-family-murder-may-be-in-nyc-area/

Ok, so let's get back on topic.

I hope they catch this guy ASAP. I would be pretty freaked out if I was in Brooklyn right now. I wonder how they were able to track him there specifically. Lanier (who seems wonderful btw) said he "possibly" got there via bus. Did someone see him? I also wonder if his family and friends are cooperating.

I know the NYC area is huge, so I'm hoping people are paying attention to the news coverage. You just never know what a desperate wanted man will do.

I still can't decide whether I think there was a co-conspirator or not. Thoughts?

Just to clarify, Chief Lanier said that DW was associated with SS through one of his businesses. Unless there is a link of her being specific, we can't assume it was the ironworks. He was also a lawyer, hedge fund entrepanuer, and was opening the MMA studio. I'll wait til I hear "officially" that it was the Ironworks.

A journalist asked if it was Iron Works and she confirmed it.

Police believe the man suspected of brutally murdering a family and their housekeeper in Washington, DC, last week is in Brooklyn — because his Big Apple girlfriend told authorities he’d been staying with her, The Post has learned.

Daron Dylon Wint’s Brooklyn girlfriend called the authorities, claiming that he was with her but heading back to Washington, DC, to turn himself in, a law enforcement source told The Post.

The source added that her claims that he’s prepared to turn himself over to the police could be nothing more than a diversion.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/21/suspect-in-dc-family-murder-may-be-in-nyc-area/

Wow, thanks for posting this. I wonder WHEN she called the authorities and if it's truly a diversion or not. I'm dying to know what else she said. Did he confess to her? Is he claiming his innocence?

It was stated at the presser during Q & A

The suspect's link is through Ironworks

He was employed there at one time

I've been gone for a few days and I'm trying to catch up. Can anyone point me to a link regarding the $40,000? How did the suspect get it? Did he withdraw it? TIA!

Bruce Leshan @BruceLeshan · 1h 1 hour ago

Chief says #MansionMurders suspect #DaronDylonWint knew Savvas #Savopoulos from work at American Iron Works. @wusa9

Bruce Leshan @BruceLeshan · 1h 1 hour ago

Chief Lanier says Wint worked at American Iron Works. @wusa9

A WS poster definitely said it was probably a latino because they liked to use knives, and then jumped to the conclusion that it was probably a landscaper.

Don't the WS TOS forbid racial and ethnic slurs? Is there a moderator here? Because I have lost count of the offensive comments posted in this thread.....

Wow @ all the replies you got. I am not sure why it bothers people so much that someone is offended by people saying the perp might be Latino b/c he used a knife or because the housekeeper is from El Salvador, then the perps might be in a gang etc. Why does saying "Hey this is offensive" get people more worked up than actual offensive comments? Why not be respectful of people who are telling you that what you are saying bothers them? Okay you don't think there is any racial component to it, but if someone from that race or ethnicity says there is, why do you think you know better? Why do you get to determine what's offensive and what's not for other people?

There is absolutely nothing amusing about this case, except for how this guy got tagged - upthread there is a quote from the suspect's unnamed stepmother in which she says he thinks he is smarter than everyone and knows the law better than anyone. This genius went to the effort of concealing his identity, disabling security cameras, setting the crime scene and getaway car on fire... only to leave uneaten pizza crusts at the scene? And his DNA is in the system because he has been arrested so many times, which he had to have known. I mean, c'mon guy. What an idiot (thank goodness).

Ok, so let's get back on topic.

I hope they catch this guy ASAP. I would be pretty freaked out if I was in Brooklyn right now. I wonder how they were able to track him there specifically. Lanier (who seems wonderful btw) said he "possibly" got there via bus. Did someone see him? I also wonder if his family and friends are cooperating.

If they are trying to determine whether anyone saw him on the bus, it's going to be more complicated than usual. The Amtrak derailment that happened on the 12th stopped all train service from Philly to NY until 5/17. This meant that everyone originally booked on a DC-NY Amtrak trip for those days was trying to find alternate transportation, like planes or buses.

Bus companies like Megabus and Bolt Bus run very frequently. For example, I am looking at the schedule right now and see DC-NY seats available on four different routes (from a single company) this afternoon/evening.

I wish I had something compelling to share. All I want to say is this is one of the most heinous and disturbing crimes I have ever encountered.
I pray something positive can come out of this someday.
I am holding the victims and their families in the light and may they find solace.

Every one is offended by things
I understand that

All I wanted to say about the above was that a poster did not say it
It was a retired FBI agent on a video that I just reposted
So perhaps people need to voice their disaproval with Fox news, not a poster who reposted a quote from a linked video

Can we please drop the offended discussion before the thread gets shut down?
Mods can and will simply not let us discuss this case if the thread becomes too much work.
Please focus on the senseless murder of 4 people including the torture of a little boy. :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
katsimpson1022