DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe "as-is" as in, fire damage still present and needs new dry wall, painting etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably. They have to disclose to the buyer. Looks like they are asking 3.25m

The house is very nice and that area is prime real estate. I think that it is a good asking price. Jmo

BUT for old time sake- "DW does not like pizza."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Didn't his lawyer state that. Lol. That is why i truly believe he is innocent. Jmo. The man hates pizza and allergic to pepperoni. So that couldn't possibly be his dna. So he is simply not guilty your honor.

Jmo.

It would be around $7 million if listed in good shape, maybe higher...someone will snap it up quickly, DC being DC...it's a 'deal'...it's a gorgeous property...all said, who would want to live in a house with such a gory history?

IMO the figure of 40,000 was a function of how much the accountant and banker were able to withdraw rather than an amount specified by Wint

I did a bit of research into this and learned that the maximum withdrawal from a Bank of America branch is the amount of cash that the branch has on hand.

We know that around 5:30 p.m. on May 13th — Amy Savopoulous calls her husband Savvas asking him to come home to watch their son, Philip, because she has plans to go out, a source close to the family says.

We believe that Savvas was either at the office in Hyattsville or the karate studio in Chantily when he received this call.

We can estimate that it took Savvas at least 30 minutes to travel from either location to his home. It's likely that he arrived home no earlier than 6:00pm on May 13.

We know that the Bank of America branch that Wallace picked up the "package" from closed at 5:00PM on Wednesday, May 13, 2015. [Why is this important? If Savvas didn't arrive home before 6PM and the branch was closed at 5PM, it makes it highly unlikely that Savvas was in direct contact with the branch and most likely communicated with Bank of America Business Banking via phone or online]

We know that "Wallace texted Savopoulos around 8:30 p.m. on May 13, saying, “Got your message, I’ll call you once I get the package.”

Therefore we know that between 6PM-8:30PM Savvas coordinated the cash withdrawal amount with Bank of America via telephone or online and communicated with the American Ironworks employee(s) authorized to make withdrawals from the corporate account, instructed the individual(s) as to the time, location and amount as well as informed the individual(s) that Wallace would be at the branch to receive the funds to deliver to Savvas.

How that didn't raise any red flags is beyond me...

Still $40K seems low when one considers that banks tend to have sufficient cash on hand around the 1st and 15th of each month. $40K is also a curious amount....

If attaining money was the goal, it makes no sense to leave behind cash and items that could advance that goal beyond the $40K.

I have more questions than answers...
:)

I guess I missed where the cash was in the house?

Wint just strikes me as the type of person who was angry about everything. I can't see him wanting to take the valuable art pieces. Don't see him having the connections to sell rare paintings. I can picture him slashing the paintings with his knife. I can see him wanting Mr. Savopoulos' collection of swords, but I feel he was working alone and that probably angered him too that he couldn't take MORE from these innocent people. Oh, he was probably PO'd about not being able to strip all the vehicles too.

Next hearing for Wint is December 17th @ 9:30 ET. The wheels of justice sure turn slow...

Wint just strikes me as the type of person who was angry about everything. I can't see him wanting to take the valuable art pieces. Don't see him having the connections to sell rare paintings. I can picture him slashing the paintings with his knife. I can see him wanting Mr. Savopoulos' collection of swords, but I feel he was working alone and that probably angered him too that he couldn't take MORE from these innocent people. Oh, he was probably PO'd about not being able to strip all the vehicles too.

Next hearing for Wint is December 17th @ 9:30 ET. The wheels of justice sure turn slow...
We know that Daron Wint, was employed at American Iron Works from 2003-2005 before being fired.

We know that Wint's termination was not his last contact with the company:
- According to the AP, Wint was arrested outside the headquarters of American Iron Works in 2010. At the time of the incident, he was reportedly armed with a BB pistol and a machete. The weapons charges were reportedly dropped when Wint pleaded guilty to possessing an open container of alcohol.

Stratfor Global Intelligence VP of Tactical Analysis, Scott Stewart, writes:
"Based on my experience in dealing with angry and mentally disturbed former employees, it would seem very unusual for a person to suddenly develop an unhealthy focus on their former employer after a five-year period of no contact. It is even more unusual to target the company's CEO after 10 years with no other contact."

Stewart, who before joining Stratfor was the lead State Department investigator assigned the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the follow-up New York City bomb plot, continues:

"Because of this, I believe it is highly likely that Wint was a known problem prior to the 2010 incident and had made threatening communications either prior to or after his termination — as well as likely between his firing and when he showed up at the corporate headquarters reportedly armed and intoxicated. It is also probable that he has had communication with American Iron Works, and perhaps even Savopoulos, since the 2010 incident."

Source:
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/savopoulos-case-study-protective-intelligence

I share this because I agree with Stewart's analysis and would suggest that either there was ongoing threats between 2005-2010 and 2010-2015 that have not been revealed or Wint was aided by an individual with unique insights into Savvas.

I agree that the background noise( Philip screaming) indicates more that one perp. It sounds to me that he is saying, " no she's not." I believe someone was telling him that his mom or Vera was ok, and he knew they were lying. Do you remember the photo of Amy with her inscription to Philip about how much she loved him and how she was going to be ok?
All phone conversations would have to be closely monitored that is for sure. In fact it's most probable that Saavas was completely bound and someone else held the phone. If this is true who is Philip yelling at?

May I ask why you think Philip screaming means more than one person had to be there? Philip could have been screaming because he was in pain or from being restrained or understandably freaking out because of what was happening to him and the others he loved.

IMO

We know that Daron Wint, was employed at American Iron Works from 2003-2005 before being fired.

We know that Wint's termination was not his last contact with the company:
- According to the AP, Wint was arrested outside the headquarters of American Iron Works in 2010. At the time of the incident, he was reportedly armed with a BB pistol and a machete. The weapons charges were reportedly dropped when Wint pleaded guilty to possessing an open container of alcohol.

Stratfor Global Intelligence VP of Tactical Analysis, Scott Stewart, writes:
"Based on my experience in dealing with angry and mentally disturbed former employees, it would seem very unusual for a person to suddenly develop an unhealthy focus on their former employer after a five-year period of no contact. It is even more unusual to target the company's CEO after 10 years with no other contact."

Stewart, who before joining Stratfor was the lead State Department investigator assigned the 1993 World Trade Center bombing and the follow-up New York City bomb plot, continues:

"Because of this, I believe it is highly likely that Wint was a known problem prior to the 2010 incident and had made threatening communications either prior to or after his termination — as well as likely between his firing and when he showed up at the corporate headquarters reportedly armed and intoxicated. It is also probable that he has had communication with American Iron Works, and perhaps even Savopoulos, since the 2010 incident."

Source:
https://www.stratfor.com/weekly/savopoulos-case-study-protective-intelligence

I share this because I agree with Stewart's analysis and would suggest that either there was ongoing threats between 2005-2010 and 2010-2015 that have not been revealed or Wint was aided by an individual with unique insights into Savvas.

Wasn't Wint across the street at the time at a gas station or convenience store sitting down drinking a can of beer? I have never read he tried to come on the AWs premises or even tried to come on the property. I really think if he was there to cause trouble at AWs he would have tried to enter the property and if that had happened he would have been arrested for doing so instead of just being charged with having an open container of beer. For all we know he may have frequented that place often and he would know the area well.

Do we have a copy of that police report? I would be very interested in seeing if AW was even mentioned in the actual report. I just cant see the police letting him go with a slap on the wrist if they thought he was there to threaten anyone at AWs. They didn't even charge him with having the machete did they? Wasn't it a machete? Sorry if I am mistaken. So that incident may have really had nothing to do with AWs and was just reported when this happened since it was across the street from the AWs property.

I really don't think that had anything to do with SS. SS wouldn't even be the one to fire him anyway. His supervisor did so that means to me if he was going to target/threaten/harm anyone it would be the boss who fired him. In most workplace violence incidents the disgruntled employee targets the one who fired them and they may shoot others who are around the supervisor in the same office . I don't see why he would target a man who had nothing to do with him being fired 10 years ago.

It wouldn't surprise me if SS didn't even recognize Wint when he invaded his home. But workers do talk among themselves about the CEO and Wint would know SS was a very wealthy man.

I do agree with Stewart that it would be highly unusual for anyone to target someone where they had worked ten years prior.

But I do not agree with him that threats had to be happening between that time and when they were murdered.. I haven't seen/read anything that suggest their paths crossed in any manner after he left SSs company ten years ago.

Wint doesn't strike me as being very smart. I think he wanted to invade a home where he knew for sure the occupants were wealthy and he would certainly know SS and his family fit that profile. His cousin that worked there could have told him the CEO still had a lot of wealth and drove flashy cars. Its hard to hide money when someone is as wealthy as they were. I don't think Wint knew anyone that was in the personal day to day life of this family.

Imo, he wanted money and he felt he knew where to go to get it.

Wint doesn't strike me as being very smart. I think he wanted to invade a home where he knew for sure the occupants were wealthy and he would certainly know SS and his family fit that profile. His cousin that worked there could have told him the CEO still had a lot of wealth and drove flashy cars. Its hard to hide money when someone is as wealthy as they were. I don't think Wint knew anyone that was in the personal day to day life of this family.

Imo, he wanted money and he felt he knew where to go to get it.

respectfully snipped by me for focus.

We've been told by locals that you could pick any house in the neighborhood and they would likely even be wealthier than the SS family, so it seems like he wouldn't have had to single out the SS family just to ensure he was robbing someone wealthy, IMHO. It could just be an insanely unlikely coincidence, but I think that there was some precipitating even that brought SS back to mind, whether it was seeing SS again someplace, hearing something about SS or a member of his family, knowing someone who was working for the family or knowing someone who knew someone who worked for or with them, or some other contact with the family -- something.

Re BBM

I don't think we were ever told where the extra money was in the house. I think it is possible that Wint did not ever find that other money in cash form.

For the other valuables there was only a bucket that one of the perps carried after burning the car so its not like he wanted to carry much. I do think they used the worker Vest to disguise themselves going into the house and that was the plan when they went to leave so its not like he wanted to carry out anything other than cash.

I think the bucket was for the bundle of money he expected. He did not know how large a bundle it would be and expected a lot more volume than it was. Maybe that is why he punished the victims even more. Maybe when the cash came he mistakingly did not believe it was the amount agreed. If it was all in large bills then it would not take up as much space as people think.

I also think it is possible the boy was just screaming the whole time by being tied up. He was probably panicking and scared and maybe just screamed the whole time.

I had read or heard somewhere that sick people like Wint could hold a grudge and even years later can get just as mad as they were when they first got mad. Like about the firing. He could have always held a grudge and then whenever he was in a really bad mood he would think back to them and his hatred stayed with him.

The part where I really am not sure of is if he had an accomplice. I do think its possible that he had partners in crime with this but they may have refused to be at the house with him and just played supporting roles. I could also see Wint acting alone too. He could have convinced the family all would be safe and maybe that is how he was able to tie everyone up and everyone complied until he got his money and then just turned violent to prevent witnesses.

Its a sad case and the victims went through a terrible ordeal. This is kind of case where death penalty is in order.

If there were any helpers for him then I do hope LE makes additional arrests.

Re BBM

I don't think we were ever told where the extra money was in the house. I think it is possible that Wint did not ever find that other money in cash form.

For the other valuables there was only a bucket that one of the perps carried after burning the car so its not like he wanted to carry much. I do think they used the worker Vest to disguise themselves going into the house and that was the plan when they went to leave so its not like he wanted to carry out anything other than cash.

I think the bucket was for the bundle of money he expected. He did not know how large a bundle it would be and expected a lot more volume than it was. Maybe that is why he punished the victims even more. Maybe when the cash came he mistakingly did not believe it was the amount agreed. If it was all in large bills then it would not take up as much space as people think.

I also think it is possible the boy was just screaming the whole time by being tied up. He was probably panicking and scared and maybe just screamed the whole time.

I had read or heard somewhere that sick people like Wint could hold a grudge and even years later can get just as mad as they were when they first got mad. Like about the firing. He could have always held a grudge and then whenever he was in a really bad mood he would think back to them and his hatred stayed with him.

The part where I really am not sure of is if he had an accomplice. I do think its possible that he had partners in crime with this but they may have refused to be at the house with him and just played supporting roles. I could also see Wint acting alone too. He could have convinced the family all would be safe and maybe that is how he was able to tie everyone up and everyone complied until he got his money and then just turned violent to prevent witnesses.

Its a sad case and the victims went through a terrible ordeal. This is kind of case where death penalty is in order.

Thank you so much for replying about the money in the home. Excellent post BTW!! I think you pounded the nail with your hammer several times.

Re: Wint holding a grudge for years. Yes, I do believe he was that type of sick person. I think it is very telling that one of the first things he did with the money was to retain an immigration lawyer.

Although his situation pertaining to being deported was not in any way directly related to Savvas Savopoulos, it seems that Wint dwelled upon whatever happened with AIW and himself and his cousin as a direct consequence related to his current situation. In fact, the more he thought about being deported, the more he blamed Mr. Savopoulos and the family.

Re: The $40,000 not looking like $40,000 to Wint. In his feeble mind, Wint probably did have a twisted vision of what thousands of dollars would look like. Boy! He sure was disappointed when it was 4 measly cash bundles. He looked around at the Savopoulos' beautiful home complete with a maid and 5 cars, he thought Mr. S was trying to pull a fast one on him. Wint thought Mr. S could easily produce thousands of more benjamins. When Mr. S couldn't produce any more cash, Wint killed him.

It is hard to think what the family suffered that night at Wint's hands. I go back and forth on Philip's cries during the voicemail to the housekeeper as he was being cut by Wint at that time. You could definitely tell Mr. Savopoulos' attention was directed away from the phone at that exact moment. I think Philip also might have realized this was their only chance to escape with that phone call and he decided to scream out in the hopes that someone (Nellie) would hear him. Maybe he screamed out in regards to Mr. Savopoulos' lying about Amy being sick in hopes of attracting the attention if someone (Nellie) was on the phone that could hear him. :notgood:

I believe with Mr. Savopoulous' martial arts training and experience he would have tried re-directing Wint. However, I think Wint was in control from the beginning. He only toyed with them like a cat batting a tiny mouse around. Any help Wint had, I imagine, came after the fact. No one directly in the home to help him.

Poor Vera! Since attempts were made to resuscitate her at the scene, I suspect she was the last one Wint killed.

I agree that life w/o parole is too good for Wint. Give him the death penalty (and he will still be getting out lighter than what he gave the Savopoulous family and Vera)!

Re BBM

IMO the pizza is what causes me to find it probable that there were accomplices.

Why?

It's actually pretty simple logic: The killer(s) would not care about feeding the family and housekeeper; frankly I can't see a scenario in which while holding them hostage and torturing them that the killer(s) decide to order food for the victims. If it was just Wint, I'm confident that he would just find something to eat in the family's kitchen/pantry rather than risk someone in the family alerting the pizza guy when they hear his car arrive to leave the pizza outside the door.

However, when you have multiple people with different tastes that need to be fed, pizza tends to be the universal food almost everyone can agree on. Which is essentially why I'm confident that he has accomplices on the scene while holding the family hostage.

Regarding the pizza and feeding accomplices, then why wasn't the cheese pizza eaten? Why weren't both pizzas devoured if there were more than just Wint?

But only a couple slices of one pizza were eaten. All the rest were untouched.

Remember the news showing LE trying to open the safe in the garage? I think that is where the money was found. I think Wint never found out there was a safe in there. jmo

Re BBM

BBM, the search warrant was written for currency, and the search warrant return showed currency. A subsequent MSM report said there was "thousands in cash" in found in the house.

Regarding the pizza and feeding accomplices, then why wasn't the cheese pizza eaten? Why weren't both pizzas devoured if there were more than just Wint?

Maybe no one but Wint had an appetite given that they were engaging in a pretty serious crime?

Hello all... I have not read but a few of the most recent pages here for this case, so I have no idea to what extent that the alarm triggered "At 5:56 p.m. May 13, the alarm company that monitored the Savopoulos family home received a “broken glass alert” for French doors that lead into the stately D.C. house. Authorities now believe that the alarm was triggered by a killer (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/man-charged-in-quadruple-killings-scheduled-to-appear-in-court-monday/2015/07/17/4731d64c-2cc4-11e5-a5ea-cf74396e59ec_story.html)". I also have no idea if this is current info or if this has since been questioned or not, but I'm wondering if the alarm could have not been triggered by glass actually breaking, but by screaming. I have a 2 year old and he went through a phase when he thought it was hilarious to scream in the hallway where it could echo and also trigger our alarm system (just a 'chirp', not the siren/alarm sound for when the alarm itself has been triggered. Each trigger has it's own unique sound (doors open/closing have a sound, activate/deactivate alarm has sound, etc.). Just thought I would throw that out there into the discussion in case it had not been considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1