DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO if SS and AS belived they’d all be murdered at the end, why so convincingly hide what was happening during their many phone calls with the outside world?

Just speculation IMO but their compliant behavior makes me think they hoped & trusted they’d ultimately survive.

If SS thought they were facing likely or certain death, his best course would be to say so outright & hope that outside help could lead to the best possible outcome. EG once DW knows he will be caught, he has new incentive to release his victims and avoid adding to charges he will face.

Per trial testimony it seems SS was murdered via being ‘stabbed in the back through the neck.’ So even the very end of his life came from behind, sight unseen, and presumably while he was still bound to chair - assuming MOO chair back covered most of his body, leaving only his neck exposed to the pathetic coward coming to kill him from behind.
I agree. If SS was convinced he was going to die, I think he would've shouted during the first phone call he was allowed to make - or the second one, or third one. He would've made a "Hail Mary" pass to save the family, even at a high risk.

But he didn't do that, so I think he was thinking survival, not laying an obscure path for investigators to hopefully figure out later. I think SS assumed that if Wint got the money, the family would be spared.

I do wholeheartedly agree that SS was very intelligent and was thinking throughout the whole ordeal on how to save his family, even if it meant he couldn't save himself. I do envision that his every thought was on that purpose.

jmo

15 minutes ago, Melanie Alnwick posted that she will host a live #podcast discussion at 11:00 am. today.

She will be taking questions.

From Ms. Alnwick's twitter:

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie 15m15 minutes ago
11AM - @fox5dc Facebook page. @Fox5Wagner and I will host a live #podcast discussing the #MansionMurders trial. We’ll take questions - would love for you to join us!

Good morning!

Fox 5 also has other podcasts about the case (The Mansion Murders series- preview through episode 7)

Missing Pieces, a FOX 5 True Crime podcast, shines a light on the cases that have left us with more questions than answers. In The Mansion Murders series, host Sarah Fraser explores a story that captivated the nation for three months in 2015, after the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa were brutally murdered.

Missing Pieces podcast

Good morning!

Fox 5 also has other podcasts about the case (The Mansion Murders series- preview through episode 7)

Missing Pieces, a FOX 5 True Crime podcast, shines a light on the cases that have left us with more questions than answers. In The Mansion Murders series, host Sarah Fraser explores a story that captivated the nation for three months in 2015, after the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa were brutally murdered.

Missing Pieces podcast
I listened to the Mansion Murders series awhile ago - thumbs up.

Thanks for the reminder about them.

I don't think DW was doing any of this. I think Savvas tricked DW by telling him he would handle everything that was done..

Imo what Savvas really wanted to know was if the camera footage was taken or destroyed would it still be accessible because he knew it would be vital evidence.

Imo he knew they likely were all going to be killed. He used his superior intellect pretending he was only helping DW. DW would think he was helping him but in reality Savvas did all of this to leave a trail for the investigators.

Imo he did the same thing when getting the 40K. He told DW he knew how to handle all of these things in order for DW to get the money..imo.

Savvas knew each communication they made would leave a trail of how all of this transpired during the time before they were all murdered.

DW wanted the money. He didn't know how to get it but Savvas assured him he did imo.

It doesn't take a mastermind or brainic to do any of this. He knew very well SS ..who was a successful businessman ..knew how to get all of this done and he took full advantage of it.

Jmo

I agree but somethings still amiss.

On the night of the 13th, SS called SEI Security with 3 questions: 1. If the camera footage was stored in the cloud? (the answer was no) 2. What would activate the cameras to start recording? (The answer was motion) and when he called back the next morning he asked where is the footage stored? (in a computer upstairs). This lead DW straight to the utility closet to take and destroy the computer that held the most important evidence. IMO SS was too smart for that. He was the owner of multiple, successful businesses. He knew about surveillance cameras and security systems. He would have done everything, ANYTHING in his power to mislead the perp away from the computer hidden in a 3rd floor utility closet, instead of directing him to it.

Just doesn't add up.

I agree but somethings still amiss.

On the night of the 13th, SS called SEI Security with 3 questions: 1. If the camera footage was stored in the cloud? (the answer was no) 2. What would activate the cameras to start recording? (The answer was motion) and when he called back the next morning he asked where is the footage stored? (in a computer upstairs). This lead DW straight to the utility closet to take and destroy the computer that held the most important evidence. IMO SS was too smart for that. He was the owner of multiple, successful businesses. He knew about surveillance cameras and security systems. He would have done everything, ANYTHING in his power to mislead the perp away from the computer hidden in a 3rd floor utility closet, instead of directing him to it.

Just doesn't add up.

And I am surprised it wasn’t cloud based given their prominence and the company.
Mine is cloud based and very affordable. We are risk averse folks so we like cameras. And big dogs!
If you have not checked out the AI website they do business with very large construction companies.
And SS certainly would have chosen his option when the system was installed.

I listened to the Missing Pieces podcast a while back & also definitely recommend! It had lots of background about SS’s business, as well as long interview with DW sister and more. Not too much new info but tons of new background and color.

As always I respect any and all opinions.

But for me..i find it ridiculous to believe a home invasion suspect looking for cash didn't go through every inch of every closet. Thats what they do. Savvas didnt lead him anywhere imo. I have no doubt shortly after he entered he ransacked all closets and drawers.

I don't think DW had to be led by Savvas since it is well known people put valuables and even safes in their closets. Those are the first places suspects check.

Last edited:
New info from Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC. SS called his sister and she called the CFO of AIW and told him to give SS a call.

The jury also heard from Ted Chase. He was the CFO of American Iron Works in May of 2015.

Over the course of about 20 minutes of questioning Chase explained all the steps he went through in order to get 40 thousand dollars in cash to the house.

On the morning of the 14th Chase testified he got a call from Savas's sister in Florida who told him to call Savas.

Chase says he dialed his cell phone and Savas told him he wanted 40 grand delivered to the house. He says Savas's voice was "perfectly normal--northing out of the ordinary at all" But "I was concerned" Chase said, "mainly due to logistical concerns".

As always I respect any and all opinions.

But for me..i find it ridiculous to believe a home invasion suspect looking for cash didn't go through every inch of every closet. Thats what they do. Savvas didnt lead him anywhere imo. I have no doubt shortly after he entered he ransacked all closets and drawers.

I don't think DW had to be led by Savvas since it is well known people put valuables and even safes in their closets. Those are the first places suspects check.

@oceanblueeyes Noted. I also find it equally ridiculous to believe that a suspect would be careful enough to avoid leaving finger prints on the murder weapon yet leave a fingerprinted knife in a window for any passerby to see. Or how he managed to get rid of a computer and cell phones but forgot to take his half eaten pizza with him. As I said, there are so many inconsistencies with this case. Imo criminals are usually alarmingly brilliant or miserably dumb. I've never encountered a case where one was both intentional and ignorant.

New info from Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC. SS called his sister and she called the CFO of AIW and told him to give SS a call.

The jury also heard from Ted Chase. He was the CFO of American Iron Works in May of 2015.

Over the course of about 20 minutes of questioning Chase explained all the steps he went through in order to get 40 thousand dollars in cash to the house.

On the morning of the 14th Chase testified he got a call from Savas's sister in Florida who told him to call Savas.

Chase says he dialed his cell phone and Savas told him he wanted 40 grand delivered to the house. He says Savas's voice was "perfectly normal--northing out of the ordinary at all" But "I was concerned" Chase said, "mainly due to logistical concerns".
I have a vague memory about the detail that SS called his sister, but that it wasn't covered much in the news IIRC. (Or I'm imagining that....it's been awhile!)

Yet another clue he was trying to send, perhaps - but it didn't alert anyone to action that SS called his sister instead of calling his CFO directly. Even for a family business, I would assume that chain of command for a large cash request is out of the ordinary.

Was there more info from the stand today about what else SS said in the phone call to his sister? Or was the conversation limited to "Tell Ted to call me." ??

jmo

Does anyone know who took over as owner and CEO of AIW after SS?
If I remember correctly, the Father took over the business after the murders. SS had taken over the operation of the business from his Father years before when he retired. I do believe this may be PART of the reason of discord between the Grandfather and the SS Daughters later. I don't know where the links are...it's been a while.

JMO

Today I learned that Amy made a phone call to the sprinkler system company approximately 15 minutes before the fire department received call that the house was on fire.

Excerpt from link below:

"On Thursday, jurors heard from a business owner who runs a lawn-sprinkler company. His company performed maintenance on the Savopoulos family's lawn sprinklers about twice a year and it just so happened a technician was scheduled to come out to the house on May 14 to make a service call. "

"The technician took the stand Thursday, testifying that he showed up to the Savopoulos house on Woodland Drive about 9 a.m. May 14. It was the first call of the day. He rang the doorbell and no one answered, so he left for the next appointment."

"At the same time the technician was ringing the doorbell, prosecutors have said the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper were being held hostage inside. (About 45 minutes later, the husband and stepdaughter of the Vera Figueroa, the housekeeper, also paid a visit to the house, looking for her). "

"Curiously, the sprinkler business owner testified he received a call from Amy Savopoulos at about 1:09 p.m. May 14. She was calling to cancel the appointment. "She was very nervous," David Arbon, the sprinkler business owner, testified. "She said she had to leave the house. She said her son got injured ... she had to go to the hospital and she had to cancel the appointment."

"According to the timeline being laid out by prosecutors, that phone call would likely have been one of the last phone calls a member of the Savopoulos family made. Just 15 minutes after that phone call, the D.C. Fire Department was dispatched to the home for the report of a fire."

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial

Today I learned that Amy made a phone call to the sprinkler system company approximately 15 minutes before the fire department received call that the house was on fire.

Excerpt from link below:

"On Thursday, jurors heard from a business owner who runs a lawn-sprinkler company. His company performed maintenance on the Savopoulos family's lawn sprinklers about twice a year and it just so happened a technician was scheduled to come out to the house on May 14 to make a service call. "

"The technician took the stand Thursday, testifying that he showed up to the Savopoulos house on Woodland Drive about 9 a.m. May 14. It was the first call of the day. He rang the doorbell and no one answered, so he left for the next appointment."

"At the same time the technician was ringing the doorbell, prosecutors have said the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper were being held hostage inside. (About 45 minutes later, the husband and stepdaughter of the Vera Figueroa, the housekeeper, also paid a visit to the house, looking for her). "

"Curiously, the sprinkler business owner testified he received a call from Amy Savopoulos at about 1:09 p.m. May 14. She was calling to cancel the appointment. "She was very nervous," David Arbon, the sprinkler business owner, testified. "She said she had to leave the house. She said her son got injured ... she had to go to the hospital and she had to cancel the appointment."

"According to the timeline being laid out by prosecutors, that phone call would likely have been one of the last phone calls a member of the Savopoulos family made. Just 15 minutes after that phone call, the D.C. Fire Department was dispatched to the home for the report of a fire."

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Wow.

This is a new detail I don't remember hearing about.

Absolutely incredible that help was literally surrounding the situation over and over again - people at the door, people on the phone....while the terror was happening in the house.

Does anyone remember the time the money was dropped off? It hours before the fire, right?

jmo

Last edited:
Dear Inthedetails,

I didn't know about this either until I heard it on the podcast this morning. Then I looked up the trial summaries.

The other sad part I thought about was Mr. Figueroa's testimony that Savvas told Mr. Figueroa that he would call him back when he found out what hospital Amy and Philip and Veralicia were at.

I believe this was another "subtle" clue. How could Savvas not know which hospital and then of course there was no call back from him to Mr. Figueroa.

@oceanblueeyes Noted. I also find it equally ridiculous to believe that a suspect would be careful enough to avoid leaving finger prints on the murder weapon yet leave a fingerprinted knife in a window for any passerby to see. Or how he managed to get rid of a computer and cell phones but forgot to take his half eaten pizza with him. As I said, there are so many inconsistencies with this case. Imo criminals are usually alarmingly brilliant or miserably dumb. I've never encountered a case where one was both intentional and ignorant.

Dear TFNYBRKS,

Very interesting post!

My latest thinking is that there were times when D.W. took off his gloves. For example, touching that knife, touching the vest found in the Porsche.

But with the baseball bat, the sumurai knife, etc., gloves must have been used.

Just thinking out loud. My opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member