DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
After listening to the podcast today, I have a question about Amy. Her neighbor saw her walking the dog and remembered she was dressed nicely. I had a vision of what that meant (very high-end causal), but the podcast mentioned Amy was in nice athletic wear. Now I have a different vision of that - and it's an outfit I can picture Amy wearing to the doc appointment and then stay in for the afternoon. She also carried a nice purse.

Anyway, I find it a bit odd that surveillance video isn't available that shows Amy on her walk. You'd expect that neighborhood would have cameras on houses and businesses that might include images of pedestrians on sidewalks. I don't suspect anything, just surprised that there isn't video of Amy walking the dog, especially since video could help pinpoint the exact time Amy was out of the house.

So for now, the time of the dog walk is what the witness remembers. About 3:30pm if I recall correctly?

jmo

After listening to the podcast today, I have a question about Amy. Her neighbor saw her walking the dog and remembered she was dressed nicely. I had a vision of what that meant (very high-end causal), but the podcast mentioned Amy was in nice athletic wear. Now I have a different vision of that - and it's an outfit I can picture Amy wearing to the doc appointment and then stay in for the afternoon. She also carried a nice purse.

Anyway, I find it a bit odd that surveillance video isn't available that shows Amy on her walk. You'd expect that neighborhood would have cameras on houses and businesses that might include images of pedestrians on sidewalks. I don't suspect anything, just surprised that there isn't video of Amy walking the dog, especially since video could help pinpoint the exact time Amy was out of the house.

So for now, the time of the dog walk is what the witness remembers. About 3:30pm if I recall correctly?

jmo
^^BBM
Re: the podcast mentioned Amy was in nice athletic wear.
^^ I heard that on the Fox5DC podcast today, too. Here's the link - The Mansion Murders, Episode 8: Week 1 trial recap

That description conflicts with this WTOP reporting - Amy was dressed in nice clothes, a skirt and sweater draped over her shoulders and was carrying a large, expensive luxury handbag:
Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
Day 2: The last time Amy Savopoulos was seen alive

Margaret Pressler, a mother of three and neighbor and friend of the Savopoulos family, testified about the last time she saw Amy Savopoulos. Pressler said she saw Amy walking near Cleveland Avenue and Calvert Street in Woodley Park. She appeared to be heading home.[...]Pressler said it struck her as odd that Amy was not dressed like knew her neighbor to dress. Normally, she would be wearing athletic clothes, Pressler testified. Instead, Amy was dressed in nice clothes, a skirt and sweater draped over her shoulders and was carrying a large, expensive luxury handbag. [...]

Last edited:
Snipped to highlight this sentence:

Did Savvas normally work from home on Wednesdays? I missed that!

Hmm....gotta think about this. Changes things, doesn't it.

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I apologize that I wasn't clear about a question I had.

I am very sorry about my "confusing" post.

No one has ever stated that Savvas worked at home on Wednesdays. I was just wrapping my head around "why that particular day."

I was wondering if the person "watching" the house discovered or could have gained knowledge that Savvas worked at home on Wednesdays. It was just a thought I had.

Whether Savvas worked at home or ever worked at home during the week, I have no knowledge of and have not read that anywhere.

Because of the new business he was starting up, I wondered whether he "worked" on that at home some days.

Again, my apologies.

IMO if SS and AS belived they’d all be murdered at the end, why so convincingly hide what was happening during their many phone calls with the outside world?

Just speculation IMO but their compliant behavior makes me think they hoped & trusted they’d ultimately survive.

If SS thought they were facing likely or certain death, his best course would be to say so outright & hope that outside help could lead to the best possible outcome. EG once DW knows he will be caught, he has new incentive to release his victims and avoid adding to charges he will face.

Per trial testimony it seems SS was murdered via being ‘stabbed in the back through the neck.’ So even the very end of his life came from behind, sight unseen, and presumably while he was still bound to chair - assuming MOO chair back covered most of his body, leaving only his neck exposed to the pathetic coward coming to kill him from behind.

I do believe Savvas wanted to believe with all of his heart and soul they would all be spared if they were all compliant. I have mentioned the same belief several times.

However I firmly believe Savvas was also a realist who knew no matter how much they complied there was a great possibilty all of this was going to end badly for all four.

Yes he was trying to leave red flags hoping to save them but imo he was a man of great intellect who knew if it was not to be...the next best thing he could do for all of them is to leave behind a trail of communication evidence showing what transpired and when during the time they were being held.

Savvas knew all of this.... including the timeline and the subject matters would become vital evidence ..which it has.

Now those who communicated or received them are testifying against the one who took their lives away.

I don't think I remember any case that has so much communication evidence by family members/victims while being held and no one knowing any of this was happening.

Yes'...of course he held onto hope throughout until he took his last breath. But he also wanted justice to be done if it did end very badly.

Imo he was purposefully creating a trail of witnesses to tell their story and creating valuable evidence.

Hope didn't cloud his judgement nor did he disregard the dangerous situation they were all in and he knew all of the electronic communications would become very important if Wint was caught.

I think that is why Savvas voice remained calm. He knew he had to focus even under the worst of times.

While he hoped they would be spared ... imo he was also on a mission to make sure he could do everything he could in case none of them came out alive.

In my eyes I have always felt Savvas is a hero and a beautiful soul. I still do. Even during the darkest time in his life and for those he loved so deeply...he remained steady and calm as he left evidence behind he knew one day would be very important to help insure justice would be done for those he loved far more than he loved himself.

Jmo.

Last edited:
Aha. Then that does make sense he would contact her (and also with hopes she would pick up that something was weird).

Thank you for looking that up! Good detail to know.

I wonder if Savas was known to request withdrawals from the company previously - particularly in the form of cash AND have it delivered by courier?

^^BBM
^^ I heard that on the Fox5DC podcast today, too. Here's the link - The Mansion Murders, Episode 8: Week 1 trial recap

That description conflicts with this WTOP reporting - Amy was dressed in nice clothes, a skirt and sweater draped over her shoulders and was carrying a large, expensive luxury handbag:

Margaret Pressler, a mother of three and neighbor and friend of the Savopoulos family, testified about the last time she saw Amy Savopoulos. Pressler said she saw Amy walking near Cleveland Avenue and Calvert Street in Woodley Park. She appeared to be heading home.[...]Pressler said it struck her as odd that Amy was not dressed like knew her neighbor to dress. Normally, she would be wearing athletic clothes, Pressler testified. Instead, Amy was dressed in nice clothes, a skirt and sweater draped over her shoulders and was carrying a large, expensive luxury handbag. [...]
I wonder if the podcaster mis-spoke about the athletic wear. Seems like the nice outfit is correct.

If we had video, we'd know! :)

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I apologize that I wasn't clear about a question I had.

I am very sorry about my "confusing" post.

No one has ever stated that Savvas worked at home on Wednesdays. I was just wrapping my head around "why that particular day."

I was wondering if the person "watching" the house discovered or could have gained knowledge that Savvas worked at home on Wednesdays. It was just a thought I had.

Whether Savvas worked at home or ever worked at home during the week, I have no knowledge of and have not read that anywhere.

Because of the new business he was starting up, I wondered whether he "worked" on that at home some days.

Again, my apologies.
No worries...I see I misread in my eagerness for information.

I think there is something to that particular date, however, Maybe JW's testimony will shed some light. I expect he was aware of SS's schedule.

jmo

^^BBM

I was curious about the handbag because the podcast said the witness mentioned it several times. I live in the DC area, and whenever you leave your house people are sizing you up, from your shoes to your outfit to your jewelry--and definitely your handbag. I was reading Melanie Alnwick's Facebook posts about the trial testimony and she reported that pictures of the house were shown as evidence, and in one photo a Louis Vuitton tote bag was sitting on a chair in the front hall, just inside the door. That must be the handbag. I also recall that one of the daughters carried the same handbag in the funeral photos. That's kind of creepy to me, although the daughter may not have realized that her mother was probably carrying that same bag when she walked into the house and met up with her killer.

It was reported that DW was seen going into the S garage. Nobody reported it at the time, but maybe he wore the construction vest (later found in the Porsche) and hat (found with one of his hairs in it) so nobody would be suspicious. If the neighbors saw a strange man ducking into the garage, they might call the police. If the guy is wearing construction gear, they'd assume he was there on a job of some sort. DW put some planning into this.

[URL='https://www.facebook.com/MelanieAlnwickFox5Dc/?ref=nf&hc_ref=ARSyuqHgN7AduFQkpVdi0nMvZBVqXsOkKDB53aPlf8droDGa0-nUr1Bq-aHRYSHlVf4&__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARCNn3W9GghK_qr7CAx9zO3P-3gGx_qhtccHHw6PGbS9pbszDnAygNaTXpJMkma77LloK8g4dZYkKPgOJDJ8oXwL16eHn4u_rJKolUV6wcRPJgC2yVeTwa4nqoRT4GQNE-VJEf3vXoAOs1FOihxtCtYKvx39CYwRM4J4oUdAJ-65822qK_XG&__tn__=%3C-R'][/URL]
[URL='https://www.facebook.com/MelanieAlnwickFox5Dc/?__xts__%5B0%5D=68.ARDBRuYeAPiX1q6frfE2Pj50Qk0KBX-9jbRfk2hiRq7nC3djPwvRMVxy7puIZnfxcFQU7Vp06FMM-1OIhwR-8PXMojCvAdTVe3lvnQW-leJYdE-2feUggEx6W5po2c0qrF-l1uvtKCalpLur7QojFtl0DQEcKjimIQT1bJHiI7V72Gogviej&__xts__%5B1%5D=68.ARCNn3W9GghK_qr7CAx9zO3P-3gGx_qhtccHHw6PGbS9pbszDnAygNaTXpJMkma77LloK8g4dZYkKPgOJDJ8oXwL16eHn4u_rJKolUV6wcRPJgC2yVeTwa4nqoRT4GQNE-VJEf3vXoAOs1FOihxtCtYKvx39CYwRM4J4oUdAJ-65822qK_XG&hc_ref=ARQY-36_o_B2AI5FONqhCZcPaApEN7Qe99gb0OSA4hrRKnjg_hX72toZn1erQYwXWVA&fref=nf&__tn__=kC-R']Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
September 13 at 3:15 PM ·

The #MansionMurders Trial Day 3, Sept 13 2015

Nellie Gutierrez, the #Savopolous family’s second housekeeper, was the star witness of the morning.
She owns her own cleaning business, and you can tell she’s the boss by her style. Nellie is wearing black patent sling back heels, a matching black Tori Burch handbag, and a wide black belt cinching her white lace mini-dress with a cut-out V neckline. Her hair is pinned back – and she steadies herself on the stand as she tells the jury how she met her friend Vera Figueroa, and how the Savopolous family always treated her well.

She talked about the last time she saw Savvas. It was early evening, sometime before 5:30 pm, Wednesday, May 13. Savvas had just received a call from his wife, Amy. Nellie said when Savvas hung up the phone he asked her for a big favor - to close up the business for him. She said he told her “I have to leave because Amy made plans to go out and I have to stay with Philip.”

The next morning, Nellie picked up a voicemail that Savvas had left on her cellphone the night before. Prosecutors played the message:

“Hey Nellie, it’s Savvas. Amy is sick in bed tonight and she was … (there is an odd metallic sound, like thick bracelets clicking against each other) .. this afternoon,
and Vera offered to stay and help her out because we’re going through some stuff with Philip, so she’s going to stay the night here.” He explained that Vera was unreachable because her phone was dead, she didn’t have a charger and he didn’t have one that fit her phone, so could Nellie please “tell anyone who’s worried about her” that she was staying with the family that night. After a brief pause, Savvas continued.. “Oh, and could you please send me a text when you get the message? Thanks, Nellie. Goodnight”

As the voice of Savvas echoed across the courtroom, Nellie Gutierrez broke down. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry…” she sobbed. The judge called for the morning break. As Nellie left the courtroom, she paused at the bench where Savvas’ father, Philip sat. She leaned over onto him, still crying and apologizing - then exited the courtroom to compose herself.

After the break, Gutierrez testified that she worked at the Woodland Drive house on Tuesdays and Thursdays, while Vera worked there Monday through Friday. But, during the week of May 11-15, she was scheduled to help Savvas at his martial arts studio. They were getting ready for a grand opening on Friday May 15 and were way behind.

Amy Savopolous had instructed Nellie to take Vera to the studio with her on Wednesday May 13 – and that was the plan - until Vera changed her mind. Vera texted with Nellie on Tuesday night, May 12 at 9:56 pm, and told her she’d rather go to Washington to work at the house on Wednesday. Vera was concerned she’d have to work too late if she went to Chantilly with Nellie, and said she wanted to leave. She texted: “Y a mi hora me voy” - translated to “I will leave at my time”, which Nellie said was usually 3pm, but often Amy asked Vera to stay 20-30 minutes late if she had to run errands.

Lawyers squabbled quite a bit over this point. Defense attorney Jeffrey Stein tried to get Nellie to say Vera was clear she wanted to leave at 3.:00pm. When he cited her early testimony to the grand jury, Prosecutor Laura Bach said he needed to give her the page and line he was quoting from. Stein complied, then Bach went back to Nellie with her quote from a different page from the transcript. Stein shot back at her “page & line?” After a brief bench conference with Judge Juliet McKenna, the attorneys went back to their tables. Nellie stuck to her assertions that Vera left between 3 and 3:30, depending on the day.

Nellie also verified a text from Amy on Thursday, May 14 at 9:56 am: “ I am making sure you do not come today. if you could come from or Monday that would be great.”

There was back and forth over two other details as well: the dogs and who was at the Martial Arts studio Tuesday. Remember, the defense in its opening statements floated the idea the Savvas’ assistant Jordan Wallace may have had inside information that would help the alleged “other” perpetrators, Darrell & Stefon Wint, get into the house.

Nellie testified that on Tuesday May 12, she and her cleaning crew were at the studio, along with Savvas, construction workers, and Jordan Wallace. Stein pressed her - that on that particular day - the day before the murders - everyone understood that the plan was for Vera to go to Chantilly for work, not the home. The defense is leading into the idea that perhaps Jordan Wallace was aware the home would be unoccupied on Wednesday, May 13. Countering that suggestion, Laura Bach asked Nellie if she ever discussed who was scheduled to clean the studio with Jordan Wallace or if he was listening to her conversations. She said no to both. Nellie also asserted that on Wednesday, May 13 - the day of the break in - Jordan Wallace left the Chantilly studio between 3 and 3:30 pm.

As for the dogs, Ginger and Bear - Nellie testified that Ginger, the older female, was very protective and aggressive with strangers - but that Ginger was compliant when reprimanded and not hard to put in her crate. Bear, the puppy, was friendly. The defense tried to pick at that assertion, asking if Ginger had ever tried to attack people before. Yes, said Nellie, one of her employees - but added that the dog didn’t bite anyone, just tried to jump on them.

Other witnesses during the morning session included the president of a security company who was working with Savvas to get the home’s new system up and running. He testified that there were cameras outside the home, and “glass break” sensors in the kitchen, which he did not recommend because they often alert for normal household sounds that are not glass breaking.

The system was still in test / learning mode, and was never designed to be monitored live by anyone. It records on motion detection, sending recorded images to a hard drive stored on a Dell computer in a utility closet on the 3rd floor. The evening of Wednesday, May 13 - Savvas called him and wanted to know how to access the recorded video and whether it was stored in the cloud. Savvas was told no, it was brief conversation. There was a text message asking again how the cameras record, and on Thursday, May 14 - Savvas called again, wanting to confirm where the video is recorded.

At 1:07 pm, there was a system alarm for a glass break in the upstairs hallway.
at 1:22, an alert for gas trouble, then carbon monoxide, and at 1:35, fire.

Two other transactions during the hostage situation came into focus as well. The pizza delivery and the money pickup.

The man who drove out to 3201 Woodland Drive on the night of May 13 - was Ahmadou Diatta. He’s got a thick island accent, wide eyes and a small patch of hair on his chin. He smiled on the witness stand at first, then seemed to get nervous. Diatta testified that he delivered 2 pizzas to the home, that his manager told him the order and tip had already been charged to a credit card, and he was instructed to just leave the boxes on the doorstep. He recalled that the house was dark, except for the porch light - and admitted that was an unusual delivery, though he didn’t really care. A few days later he was visited by DC homicide detectives, and agreed to let them take a cheek swab sample from him. He said he did not know Daron Wint, Darrell Wint, or Stefan Wint.

Finally, the $40k cash. Elena Shepperd is a business banking specialist with Bank of America. American Iron Works was one of her top 5 clients. Shepperd has brown straight hair that falls just past her shoulders, and she tucks one side behind her right ear when she settles into the witness chair. She tells the jury that her main contact for American Iron Works, the company owned by Savvas Savopoulous, is Ted Chase, the Chief Financial Officer. But she also spoke many times over the phone with Savvas - enough to recognize his voice when he called the morning of May 14. Shepperd said it was early, between 8-9 am, and that Savvas’ request was unusual. He said he needed $40,000 to buy equipment and wanted a cash withdrawal that day. But, he was a good client and she wanted to keep him happy.

Shepperd told him she’d have to call around to find a branch that had enough cash on hand to fulfill his request. She said Savvas seemed rushed on the phone. She spoke to Savvas a short time later and explained what arrangements had been made. Savvas said Ted Chase would go pick up the money, using a stamp with Savvas’ signature as he was the only one authorized on that account.

Shepperd verified the arrangements with the local branch, then called the branch later to confirm that indeed, Ted Chase had been there to collect the $40k cash.

My colleague Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC is covering the afternoon sessions. You can look for his reports on Fox 5 DC , on our app and in our evening broadcasts.

[/URL]

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

Admin · September 13 at 5:58 PM
DAY 3 - AFTERNOON SESSION UPDATE FROM Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC:

The afternoon testimony in the Mansion murders trial featured several people who either had contact by phone with Savas and Amy in the hours they were being held hostage or had actually gone to the house on Woodland Drive.

The last witness of the day, Claudia Alfaro, became emotional as soon as she took the stand when the prosecutor asked her who she was.

Through tears she replied--"I am Vera's step daughter".

Vera Figueroa was one of two house keepers employed by the Savopoulos family who was murdered along with Savas, Amy and Philip.

Alfaro told the court on the morning of the 14th--the day of the murders-- her father told her Vera had not come home from work the night before and he was very worried about her. He asked Alfaro to go with him to the house on Woodland Drive.
She says they arrived sometime after nine and while she stayed in the car her father went up to the house. While he was away Alfaro began texting with her boy friend--describing the neighborhood they were in and sharing a picture of Amy's Porsche parked outside.

Prosecutors showed the jury a portion of those text messages which included the picture of the Porsche. The timestamp said 9:34 AM

Alfaro says after about 20 minutes her father came back and said there was no answer at the house.

Then, her fathers phone rang and Alfaro says she overheard the conversation. It was Savas calling to say "I'm really sorry--I'm really sorry I meant to call you last night. Amy became ill and Vera went with her to the hospital".

Savas promised to call back later with an update from the hospital. Alfaro told the court her dad was very uneasy but they decided to leave. She drove him home and then went to work.

When prosecutor Christopher Bruckmann asked her if she ever went back. Alfaro burst into tears and said yes. When asked why she replied "It is the graveyard".

Two other people testified about going to the house on the 14th or speaking with Amy over the phone.

Jose Villatoro told the court he worked for a sprinkler company and had gone to the house the morning of the 14th on a regular call. He says it was about 9 or 9:30 in the morning but when he went to the front door and rang the bell there was no answer. Villatoro says he noticed nothing out of the ordinary.

Villatoro's boss testified--hours later--he spoke with Amy on her cell phone. She wanted to cancel the appointment but sounded "very nervous".

She said her son had been injured and had to leave the house.

The jury also heard from Ted Chase. He was the CFO of American Iron Works in May of 2015.

Over the course of about 20 minutes of questioning Chase explained all the steps he went through in order to get 40 thousand dollars in cash to the house.

On the morning of the 14th Chase testified he got a call from Savas's sister in Florida who told him to call Savas.

Chase says he dialed his cell phone and Savas told him he wanted 40 grand delivered to the house. He says Savas's voice was "perfectly normal--northing out of the ordinary at all" But "I was concerned" Chase said, "mainly due to logistical concerns".

"I drafted a letter which I sent to Savas as an attachment...he signed it electronically and sent it back". Chase says he then got Jordon Wallace and they went to the Bank of America in Hyattsville where they were given the cash. He asked Wallace to come inside with him because he wanted "eyes" on the transaction.

Chase says the bank didn't have an envelope big enough -- so he put the money in his pants pockets and walked outside. He then handed the cash to Jordon Wallace who put it into an empty back pack and drove off.

Chase told the court he knew Wallace--who had been working as a go-for since 2013 and had no reason not to trust him. He says there was nothing suspicious about Wallace or his demeanor.

He says later that day reporters started calling the company asking about Savas. A co-worker then went on line and found a story about the house on fire.

The jury will not sit on Friday.

They will back in court Monday morning.

Last edited:
Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
September 12 at 2:36 PM ·
Facebook Creator
·
DAY 2. SEPT 12, 2018 --DAY 2 TRIAL

In the second morning of the #MansionMurders trial, prosecutors Christopher Bruckmann and Laura Bach began laying the groundwork for the timeline and evidence.

The first witness was Jim Martin, Amy Savopoulos’ father. He’s an older man, small in stature - with close cut salt & pepper hair and a small silver hearing aid tucked behind each ear. He has a kind smile and wears glasses. Before he was called to the stand, a victim’s advocate put her hand on his back, and asked if he was ok.

Jim, in a bright, clear voice - told the jury he had two children: his 48 year old son, and his daughter Amy, who “is still present in my life”. He’s a college professor in social work and research, prior to that he was an Army officer.

Jim identified the photographs of Savvas, Amy, Vera and his grandson Philip. He said the photo we’ve often seen of Amy was taken at a cafe in Paris - mentioning that when Amy was growing up the family was stationed in Germany - so Amy developed a love of European coffeehouses.

Prosecutors asked him to identify exterior photos of the home, interior layout diagrams, and the cars in the household: Savvas’ red Mosler which stayed in the garage, Amy’s blue Porsche, a Land Rover that Amy drove most days, and an Audi SUV that was a gift to one of the daughters.

There was discussion of the family dogs, Bear and Ginger. Jim said they were Chesapeake Bay Retrievers, and gentle giants. He agreed with prosecutor Laura Bach when she asked if the dogs had mobility issues, trouble getting up the stairs. He said the dogs’ domain was mainly the first floor of the house, and the kitchen.

It’s clear he doted on Philip. Jim talked about the boy’s love of sports, how they’d meet for Friday playdates. There was a moment of dark foreshadowing, when Jim said that just before the murders, he had given Philip a special birthday gift: a Louisville Slugger baseball bat with Philip’s name engraved on it.

Next up was Amy’s dermatologist. Dr. Tina West, wearing a nipped in suit and beige pumps with studded straps - testified that Amy and Philip had been to her office on Wisconsin Avenue in Chevy Chase the morning of May 13. Philip had a small cut on his chin from one of the dogs. She said nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the pair.

A parking receipt from Chevy Chase Center was found in Amy’s Land Rover by DC Crime Scene Scientist Deanna Ryan. Ryan strode to the stand in a grey polo with the black word “FORENSICS” stamped on the back. Her hair, as you might expect, pulled back in a tight bun away from her face.
Ryan spoke confidently in identifying the receipt as one she photographed, showing entry at 9:09am and exit at 11:08am. It was not collected as evidence. A photo Ryan took of the Land Rover showed it parked along the curb, across the street from the mansion with crime scene tape stretched across the entrance. Jurors were told Ryan would be back later to testify about other items.

Throughout the testimony, some jurors took notes. Others just listened. It’s early in the trial - but with the volume of meticulous evidence and scientific detail to come, it may be tough to keep their full attention.

We got a look at the inside of the home on Woodland Drive, NW… when Detective Mike Pavero took the stand. Pavero, wearing a grey suit with a blue white wide-striped tied, is tall, with his head shaved and a thin grey goatee. He wears glasses with no rims that disappear on his face. The jury is told he’ll be coming back for more testimony as well.

Prosecutor Christopher Bruckmann flicked on his computer screen .. and a still frame of video, showing the foyer of the home, appeared on the large monitors in the courtroom. It’s shot from the point of view of an investigator walking into the crime scene.

Directly facing as you walk in is a wide staircase to the right, a foyer to the left. Grey & white chinoiserie wallpaper with flowering trees, birds and butterflies decorates the top of the walls, there is cream wainscoting below. In the foyer is a bureau that appears to be cherry wood with brass pulls on the drawers. There are Chinese vases on top of the bureau, and it is bookended by two armchairs. The first thing you notice is a red wheeled suitcase, toppled over in the middle of the foyer. There are schoolbooks strewn on the floor. A Louis Vuitton tote bag sits on the chair to the right.

The sitting room, to the right of the staircase - is adorned with oil paintings framed in gilded gold, stately furniture, and a grand piano. The windows are punched out, and there is debris everywhere. Pavero testifies that this is mostly water damage and soggy drywall that has fallen down from the firefighting efforts.

The video takes one up the stairs, and at the top there immediately is an open door to the family’s library. Turning around to one’s right (back facing the front of the house) there is an office, then the doorway to Bedroom #1, daughter Abigail’s bedroom. The remnants of teenage girlhood remain on the walls - a ribboned bulletin board with mementos, face cream on the nightstand, what was once a white sofa with blue pattered pillows. But everything is askew, and covered with smoke residue. Prosecutor Bach points out the upholstered chairs, and asks Pavero why the fabric has been ripped off the top surface, exposing nothing but cottony stuffing. He says the fabric was taken as evidence. Two chairs look like this. On the back of one, dark smears. The rug, which may have once been of oriental design, was hard to discern. It appeared to have been torn or ripped, and soiled by something black. The camera turns tighter to the hardwood floor - and focuses on a large dark, crusty stain, about two feet in diameter. It looks like old paint peeling - but then has wide streaks where the substance ran in twin rivulets toward the wall.
This is the bedroom where prosecutors say Savvas, Amy, and Vera were held captive.

Bedroom #1 is connected to Bedroom #2 by a shared “Jack & Jill” closet. Bedroom #2 used to belong to daughter Katerina. As the videographer walks through the closet and into that room - it’s clear this is where the fire started. Everything is black, or coated in soot. Some furniture looks like ashy firewood. Other pieces are consumed down to just thin sticks, like the top of a skinny burned out match. Pavero was not the photographer, but he was part of the investigative team from the day of the fire, on. He testified that from the hallway he noticed the strong smell of gasoline and burnt furniture. If you’ve ever been to a house fire you’ll know that it’s pungent and lingers.. a mix of plastics, oil, soot and chemicals. What’s more, Pavero said “I could smell the odor of burn human remains.”

The camera turns to the left to reveal a spaghetti like mess of wires and coils. That, Pavero said, was all that was left of the mattress & box spring after it was consumed by fire. The remains of Philip Savopoulous were also on that bed.
That area was so badly burned that the bedframe was tilted.. into a deep hole the fire burned through the floor.

It was hard to discern anything in the bathroom off of Bedroom #2 - more dark soot on the floors and tiles, and piles of debris filling the space.

Pavero testified that in this debris, he found a sword. He recalled he almost cut himself with it - but said fortunately he was wearing gloves. He testified it was taken into evidence.

Defense attorneys used Pavero’s testimony to slowly inject bits of doubt - we know they plan to question the quality of evidence collection and testing. Public Defender Judith Pipe got Pavero to admit that during the 3 weeks that DC Police had custody of the crime scene - at least 50 different people had come in and out of the home. There is no log of who came in and when. Pavero said there was a uniformed officer at all times guarding the scene.

We also know that the defense plans to make a point that Savvas’ trousers and money found in his pocket by the medical examiner were not processed as evidence.
Pavero had earlier testified that he was the first investigator on the scene, and he was directed by the fire department to go directly to the ambulance where Savvas Savolpoulous’ body was held. Detective Pavero said he lifted the sheet and saw “cuts about his head and noticed the odor of gas”.
Prosecutor Laura Bach objected when Pipe asked the detective “Are you aware that clothing worn by victims can be evidentiary?” After a short bench conference, Pipe backed off.

Time frame is going to be important in this case. Where were all of the players at particular points? One witness helped place a possible time when the suspect (s) entered the home. In May 2015, Ghaya Almi was director of reservations at the Olde Towne Pet Resort in Sterling, VA. She said that the dogs, Bear and Ginger Savopoulous, frequently “vacationed” at the pet spa and resort, and that Amy was one of their top clients. The Savopoulous family had made a reservation for the upcoming Memorial Day weekend but hadn’t confirmed or put down a deposit. On May 13, a reservationist named Heather made a note in the system:

5/13/15 could not LVM for COB for res 5/20-5/23. home phone disconnected. -hs (3:14pm)
Called LVM @ 4:20pm. COB res 5/20-5/23 gave until 6:30pm. -hs

Almi, relying on phone records and her prior Grand Jury testimony, said the first call was to the Savopolous home number, the second to Amy’s cell. Almi said Amy actually called back twice, the first time not long after the 4:20pm voice mail - but that there was no sound on the other end, and then a hang up. The second call came 10-15 minutes later. “I spoke to her,” Almi said. “ She said she was ok with the reservation and to charge it to the credit card on file.” Asked about Amy’s demeanor, Almi said “she sounded sleepy, or under the weather - and rushing. Not like her at all”. Almi testified that usually Amy was very chatty and liked to add on extra services for Bear and Ginger, but not this time.

At that, the court recessed for lunch. My colleague Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC is covering the afternoon sessions.

He says jurors were shown texts between Amy & one of her daughters at

“asked a guy to prom because gender roles are stupid”

Amy replied 2 minutes later “good job - remember to hold the door for him because gender roles are stupid. really glad you are going “

This is to show that Amy was normally quick to respond to texts.

Finally, a friend of Amy’s testified that she saw her walking a few blocks away at 3:25pm on May 13. She said Amy appeared relaxed and nicely dressed.

The theory taking shape - is that someone broke into the house in the 3:00 hour - when Amy was out for a walk and Philip, presumably, was home with Vera.

You can look for his reports on Fox5DC.com, on our app and in our evening broadcasts.

@oceanblueeyes Noted. I also find it equally ridiculous to believe that a suspect would be careful enough to avoid leaving finger prints on the murder weapon yet leave a fingerprinted knife in a window for any passerby to see. Or how he managed to get rid of a computer and cell phones but forgot to take his half eaten pizza with him. As I said, there are so many inconsistencies with this case. Imo criminals are usually alarmingly brilliant or miserably dumb. I've never encountered a case where one was both intentional and ignorant.

I think that in a lot of cases, the criminals are both brilliant and dumb as rocks. They might have flashes of insight, like 'let me use these gloves when I pick up that knife'.....but later, when distracted and exhausted, may take them off and drop one, leaving it behind.

He set the place on fire, so he thought all the naming evidence was going up in flames. Luckily, he is an idiot most of the time.

....the security company missed this red flag. And the intruders obviously hadn't done their research about the security cameras around the home.

Late on the evening of the May 13 -- during the time prosecutors said the family was being held hostage - Savvas called Pellak with questions about how the security system worked. He wanted to know if video from the cameras outside the home were stored in the cloud.

They weren't, Pellak said. Savvas also wanted to know what caused the cameras to turn on. "Savvas - I believe your camera records on motion," Pellak texted him later.

Pellak said the call seemed strange, because he said he had already told Savvas about how the security system worked.
The two men spoke again on the morning of May 14. Savvas again asked about where video footage was stored.

Prosecutors have said the surveillance video stored on the laptop in the home was taken and has never been recovered.
by WTOP 2:08 PM

I have a question about this (sorry if already covered). Our security company has a word that I can say in any call with them that means something is wrong but wouldn't raise any eyebrows, and the security company knows to keep the conversation professional. There is also a word I have to use to identify myself on the call.

I don't understand how a security company would NOT be suspicious upon receiving a call from a client in the evening about security footage?

Sadly, I wondered if S.S. had given a 'danger' word to the bank but after so many years with them, it would likely be inside an old folder or something. If there was a "code word".

Something about this doesn't make sense to me either....if SS was one of her top five clients, with that amount of wealth, surely there would be active protocols to verify transactions? I don't understand how so many things broke in DW's favor.

I agree but somethings still amiss.

On the night of the 13th, SS called SEI Security with 3 questions: 1. If the camera footage was stored in the cloud? (the answer was no) 2. What would activate the cameras to start recording? (The answer was motion) and when he called back the next morning he asked where is the footage stored? (in a computer upstairs). This lead DW straight to the utility closet to take and destroy the computer that held the most important evidence. IMO SS was too smart for that. He was the owner of multiple, successful businesses. He knew about surveillance cameras and security systems. He would have done everything, ANYTHING in his power to mislead the perp away from the computer hidden in a 3rd floor utility closet, instead of directing him to it.

Just doesn't add up.

AND surely SS already knew whether footage was stored locally or in the cloud. It's one of the first questions you ask when interviewing security services. He also knew where the laptop was stored. Maybe it was meant to be a clue that the security company missed. And what security company would text information to a high-net worth client? Completely insecure communication. Tragic incompetence. Sorry I'm angry about the missed clues!:(

AND surely SS already knew whether footage was stored locally or in the cloud. It's one of the first questions you ask when interviewing security services. He also knew where the laptop was stored. Maybe it was meant to be a clue that the security company missed. And what security company would text information to a high-net worth client? Completely insecure communication. Tragic incompetence. Sorry I'm angry about the missed clues!:(

This case is so horrific and so chilling. As others have said, it's so tragic that while the crime was ongoing, so much communication occurred with the outside world and that various people stopped by, yet no one was able stop what was taking place inside. I wonder if any of this gave some hope to the victims that someone may pick up on something and alert authorities.

I've thought maybe the killer forced SS to make that call to the security company and listened in on the conversation so the killer would know for sure how to proceed and what to destroy as far as the security system??

Last edited:
Anyone remember which episode of The Mansion Murders podcast includes the interview with Nelly? I listened to all the episodes last night and was a bit confused as to exactly when she said she listened to the message from Savas. Was it his message that caused her to feel something was wrong, and prompt her to work at another client's business/home that morning? It's possible I have this ALL wrong. I really need another listen to that episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1