DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry! Answering my own questions. :D

Episode 5.

She was scheduled to work at the Savopoulos home but opted (due to an unknown/bad feeling she had) to contact/work for a different client in McLean VA that morning. After finishing her work in McLean she listens to the message from Savas. And, shortly after listening to that message she receives a call from a Savopoulos family member "asking her to return" to the Savopoulos home. Is this family member identified in her testimony? And, I suppose they used the word "return" because they assumed she had been at the home (as scheduled)??

IMO underlined part is puzzling. As Nelly was a long time, trusted employee it is possible she had the ability to rearrange her schedule with the family. But, NOT contacting the Savopoulos' prior to traveling to other client in McLean, VA seems odd.

Link to episode

The Mansion Murders, Episode 5: Chance

Last edited:
Anyone remember which episode of The Mansion Murders podcast includes the interview with Nelly? I listened to all the episodes last night and was a bit confused as to exactly when she said she listened to the message from Savas. Was it his message that caused her to feel something was wrong, and prompt her to work at another client's business/home that morning? It's possible I have this ALL wrong. I really need another listen to that episode.

I haven't relistened to that episode of the podcast, but what I understood was that Nelly worked at Savvas' dojo on the 13th (the day the crimes started) and was scheduled to work for another client elsewhere the next day. I don't recall hearing that she switched her schedule (Vera switched -- she was supposed to go help at the Dojo but asked Nelly if she could go to the house instead because she didn't want to stay later than her usual time and didn't want to hit the traffic from Chantilly to DC at rush hour). I don't know if the Savvopoulos family had someone there every day, and if Vera was scheduled for both the 13th and 14th, or if they were to be on their own on the 14th. I guess it's possible that I have it wrong and Nelly was supposed to work at the Savopoulos household on the 14th, but I had the impression that she was not working at their house anymore (except in her capacity as the owner of the company and as Vera's boss).

I haven't relistened to that episode of the podcast, but what I understood was that Nelly worked at Savvas' dojo on the 13th (the day the crimes started) and was scheduled to work for another client elsewhere the next day. I don't recall hearing that she switched her schedule (Vera switched -- she was supposed to go help at the Dojo but asked Nelly if she could go to the house instead because she didn't want to stay later than her usual time and didn't want to hit the traffic from Chantilly to DC at rush hour). I don't know if the Savvopoulos family had someone there every day, and if Vera was scheduled for both the 13th and 14th, or if they were to be on their own on the 14th. I guess it's possible that I have it wrong and Nelly was supposed to work at the Savopoulos household on the 14th, but I had the impression that she was not working at their house anymore (except in her capacity as the owner of the company and as Vera's boss).

Yes... your version is basically what I recalled as well! But, I can't quite get what we thought/understood to mesh with what I heard in episode 5 (it's early on - approx 1:20 they begin (in chronological order)... stating what Nelly has reported previously and we hear portions of Nelly's interview/s. I hope you (and anyone else :)) can listen again and maybe help piece it altogether.

'Just a brief transcription (approx 2:15 - Ep 5)

Narrator:
As you might remember, Nelly worked for the family only on a per diem basis. She was suppose to be at the S home the day the family was murdered but she said she had a bad feeling that morning. She grabbed the keys to the S home - which she had a set for years - but she didn't feel good about going.

Nelly:
When I wake up that day I have something inside me that I want to go but I don't want to go. I don't know. So I send a text message to this other family in McLean, I work for them on Friday because they own another place and when I ask her if I can come over tomorrow she says yes but come late. So between her decision and my decision to go over to McLean, I believe that saved my life.

Narrator:
As Nelly mentioned, she decided to go to her clients' home in McLean VA that morning. After she finishes with the client she listens to the message that Savas had left the night before. And shortly after that she gets a phone call from another S family member asking her to return to the home. That family member had heard the S family mansion was on fire.

** It's as if the podcast narrator wants me to believe Nelly sent a text to the McLean client the morning of the murders (soon after she had a bad feeling). BUT, Nelly actually says "tomorrow" so... I want to think Nelly texted the McLean client the previous day/evening.

Obviously, this is a sticky point with me :confused:

Narrator:
As you might remember, Nelly worked for the family only on a per diem basis. She was suppose to be at the S home the day the family was murdered but she said she had a bad feeling that morning. She grabbed the keys to the S home - which she had a set for years - but she didn't feel good about going.

Nelly:
When I wake up that day I have something inside me that I want to go but I don't want to go. I don't know. So I send a text message to this other family in McLean, I work for them on Friday because they own another place and when I ask her if I can come over tomorrow she says yes but come late. So between her decision and my decision to go over to McLean, I believe that saved my life.

Narrator:
As Nelly mentioned, she decided to go to her clients' home in McLean VA that morning. After she finishes with the client she listens to the message that Savas had left the night before. And shortly after that she gets a phone call from another S family member asking her to return to the home. That family member had heard the S family mansion was on fire.

** It's as if the podcast narrator wants me to believe Nelly sent a text to the McLean client the morning of the murders (soon after she had a bad feeling). BUT, Nelly actually says "tomorrow" so... I want to think Nelly texted the McLean client the previous day/evening.

It's a bit strange, isn't it. Perhaps the call that Savvas received at the martial arts studio that sent him home was weird to her - and she didn't want to be around whatever drama she thought might be happening at the house for awhile, so she arranged to work elsewhere that day?? Maybe if she thought Phillip was sick, she didn't want to deal with a sick kid but doesn't want to come out and say that??

I really don't know.

jmo

Narrator:

Nelly:

Narrator:

It's really hard to follow Nelly's statement. The murders happened on a Thursday, right? So I agree, it's confusing -- was the "that morning" she refers to the Wed. morning when the crime started, or the Thursday morning of the murders/fire?

If I'm following what Nelly says, the "bad feeling" was on Wed. morning and her schedule was this:

* Wed. morning go to Chantilly VA to work at the dojo, as promised to Amy
* Thurs morning, was supposed to be at the Savopoulos house but instead texts to schedule herself for the family in McLean that "has another place" on Thursday
* Fri planned to also work for the McLean family (maybe in other place) and continues to plan to be there on Friday.

That's kind of peculiar, isn't it? I get kind of irritated when my cleaning person switches things around because having her around impacts other things, I wonder if Nelly thought Amy wouldn't be annoyed or if she just didn't care if Amy was annoyed? Or maybe she just planned to switch Nelly's schedule around to send her over? I don't think Nelly had anything to do with the murders because she does seem sincere in having loved the family -- and if nothing else, it would also have meant putting Nelly in harm's way -- but the scheduling switch sure would otherwise make me wonder.

It's really hard to follow Nelly's statement. The murders happened on a Thursday, right? So I agree, it's confusing -- was the "that morning" she refers to the Wed. morning when the crime started, or the Thursday morning of the murders/fire?

If I'm following what Nelly says, the "bad feeling" was on Wed. morning and her schedule was this:

* Thurs morning, was supposed to be at the Savopoulos house but instead texts to schedule herself for the family in McLean that "has another place" on Thursday
* Fri planned to also work for the McLean family (maybe in other place) and continues to plan to be there on Friday.

That's kind of peculiar, isn't it? I get kind of irritated when my cleaning person switches things around because having her around impacts other things, I wonder if Nelly thought Amy wouldn't be annoyed or if she just didn't care if Amy was annoyed? Or maybe she just planned to switch Nelly's schedule around to send her over? I don't think Nelly had anything to do with the murders because she does seem sincere in having loved the family -- and if nothing else, it would also have meant putting Nelly in harm's way -- but the scheduling switch sure would otherwise make me wonder.

It is peculiar. I don't know if Nelly misspoke OR if Narrator is misleading. o_O

Peculiar bugs me (sorry, yall... I will leave this alone now ;) )

This is the second time I've noticed a somewhat leading (maybe questionable) piece of info within this podcast. Maybe it's just me - maybe I'm over-thinking the way details are relayed or... maybe it's just my interpretation of them ? ;)

Last edited:

Thank you for linking Detective Mike Fulton’s Affidavit in Support of an Application for Search Warrant for the Chevy and Ford. There definitely is a lot of interesting information in there about other parts of the investigation.

For example, in item 11 of the Background of the Investigation section, it’s written that JW says he watched the bank manager give Mr. Chase a manila envelope, which contained the money.

But just the other day, in Seattle1’s post #232 with the Fox 5 DC , the following was reported:

Chase says the bank didn't have an envelope big enough -- so he put the money in his pants pockets and walked outside. He then handed the cash to Jordon Wallace who put it into an empty back pack and drove off.

This all may have been sorted out a few years ago, but I’m not sure and to me it’s an interesting discrepancy to say the least.

What about at the trial, when she kept saying "I'm sorry" to Amys father? There's always something a bit suspicious about someone who keeps saying "I'm sorry." Not saying she was directly involved, but perhaps she knows more than she's willing to spill. Perhaps out of fear of consequences.. o_O

I am not sure what else one could say to Amy's father other than a sincere ' I'm sorry.' I don't think it is suspicious to say that to him. He is in a living nightmare, I'm sure.

If it were only one or two apologies I wouldn't have taken note of it, but from what I read, it sounds like she said it a lot on stand, and while she was walking out of the courtroom. When everything is put into context, it just sticks out. I'm not saying it's a red flag, just something I'd keep in the back of my mind.

As for the motive of hatred and “revenge” ... apparently the worst, most brutal torture was carried out against the innocent little boy??!? A child can be tortured to inflict suffering on his parents, but PS was isolated in another room away from all the adults, limiting what they knew about his ordeal.

IIIRC implication that poor little PS was alive when he was set on fire - WHY??! Why did this beast (& possible accomplices) isolate the child & subject him to worse torture than the adults? Why were adults apparently killed quickly from behind while the small helpless child was burned alive??

As for the motive of hatred and “revenge” ... apparently the worst, most brutal torture was carried out against the innocent little boy??!? A child can be tortured to inflict suffering on his parents, but PS was isolated in another room away from all the adults, limiting what they knew about his ordeal.

IIIRC implication that poor little PS was alive when he was set on fire - WHY??! Why did this beast (& possible accomplices) isolate the child & subject him to worse torture than the adults? Why were adults apparently killed quickly from behind while the small helpless child was burned alive??

What if the perps didn't think of it that way? Or what if they did.. :confused::mad:

I wondered if Wint lost control of the scene. Savvas' body was apparently found on top of Amy's, so it occurred to me that he broke free and was making a desperate attempt to fight back against Wint, so Wint killed him and Amy and then set the place on fire in a hurry. He wouldn't have cared about any of the victims dying an easy death, he would just have wanted to get out of there and destroy as much evidence as possible. I wonder where he got the accelerant for the fire, and if seeing that he had gas might have strengthened Savvas' resolve to try to do something.

What about at the trial, when she kept saying "I'm sorry" to Amys father? There's always something a bit suspicious about someone who keeps saying "I'm sorry." Not saying she was directly involved, but perhaps she knows more than she's willing to spill. Perhaps out of fear of consequences.. o_O

I am going to preface my statement as I do not think there is realistically anything those in or out of the house could have done to prevent this tragedy.....only the perpetrator(s)is responsible.

IMO, Nelly may have some feeling of “survivors guilt” since she could have been at the house instead of Vera. If memory serves, I think Nelly listened to the voice mail from S.S. the next morning not the night he sent it. I also wonder if she thinks that might have somehow made a difference. I think it is the nature of a caring human to be so close to a despicable act and wonder if you missed anything and feel sorry that you somehow did not prevent it. Even if there is nothing you could have done. I do not think Nelly or anyone other then the perpetrators has any blame. I just think it is normal to wonder “what if...” perhaps in hopes that the outcome could somehow be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcee