DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Inthedetails,

I didn't know about this either until I heard it on the podcast this morning. Then I looked up the trial summaries.

The other sad part I thought about was Mr. Figueroa's testimony that Savvas told Mr. Figueroa that he would call him back when he found out what hospital Amy and Philip and Veralicia were at.

I believe this was another "subtle" clue. How could Savvas not know which hospital and then of course there was no call back from him to Mr. Figueroa.
Yes, I think it was a clue, very subtle.

When SS said he'd call Mr. Figueroa back, that could also be a stalling attempt. The perp would be listening and would know that another phone call was expected to be made - so he might let SS make that second phone call, which would provide another chance for SOS and also allow more time for the family to stay alive.

I have to wonder if being wealthy and the boss worked against him. Nobody questioned his conversations. :(

Deep sigh. Hard case.

I need to go listen to that podcast now. I got distracted!

Good morning!

Fox 5 also has other podcasts about the case (The Mansion Murders series- preview through episode 7)

Missing Pieces, a FOX 5 True Crime podcast, shines a light on the cases that have left us with more questions than answers. In The Mansion Murders series, host Sarah Fraser explores a story that captivated the nation for three months in 2015, after the Savopoulos family and their housekeeper Veralicia Figueroa were brutally murdered.

Missing Pieces podcast
Link to today's podcast:
The Mansion Murders, Episode 8: Week 1 trial recap
The Mansion Murders, Episode 8: Week 1 trial recap
UPDATED: SEP 14 2018 12:25PM EDT

Question about JW - if his BMW was found inside the police perimeter, how did he get to Chantilly or home after he dropped off the ransom?
NF also testified that he left the dojo between 3 and 330, mighty coincidental if you ask me

Savopoulos family killings: Daron Wint on trial
What's next?

So far, the prosecution has called 17 witnesses in Daron Wint's first-degree murder trail.

Next week, the prosecution plans to call to the stand Jordan Wallace, the Savopoulos assisant who dropped the $40,000 in cash off at the Savopoulos' house. His green BMW was found a block away from the house the day the family's bodies were discovered inside the burning house. In the first few weeks of the killings, D.C. police said they were looking into Wallace. Unsealed search warrants revealed police searched Wallace's car, his computer and other items.

Police noted inconsistencies in Wallace's story from the beginning and Wallace later told police he lied to investigators during initial questioning about how he received the money and where he left the package of money.

However, Wallace has never been named by police as a person of interest and has never been charged. In the opening statements, Wint's attorney sought to raise suspicions about Wallace. But U.S. Attorney for D.C. Chris Bruckmann reiterated that Wallace is not a suspect in the killings. The assistant did "stupid" things -- such as texting a photo fo the bundle of $40,000 cash to his girlfriend. But Bruckmann told jurors "at the end of the trial, you all will know Jordan Wallace had nothing to do with this," he said.

Also testifying next week: members of Daron Wint's family.

Dear TFNYBRKS,

Very interesting post!

My latest thinking is that there were times when D.W. took off his gloves. For example, touching that knife, touching the vest found in the Porsche.

But with the baseball bat, the sumurai knife, etc., gloves must have been used.

Just thinking out loud. My opinion.
There are situations where DNA could indeed be on an object but can't be extracted. Maybe he wore gloves when holding the bat and sword or maybe the weapons are just too damaged by fire or contaminated, etc. for DNA to be successfully isolated?

(I don't know the technicalities, just remembering some crime shows when they couldn't obtain the DNA to test, even though the perp likely did handle an object. My credentials come from TV! :))

jmo

Last edited:
@oceanblueeyes Noted. I also find it equally ridiculous to believe that a suspect would be careful enough to avoid leaving finger prints on the murder weapon yet leave a fingerprinted knife in a window for any passerby to see. Or how he managed to get rid of a computer and cell phones but forgot to take his half eaten pizza with him. As I said, there are so many inconsistencies with this case. Imo criminals are usually alarmingly brilliant or miserably dumb. I've never encountered a case where one was both intentional and ignorant.

I am not sure what you mean about being intentional and ignorant.

Scott Peterson was very careful to make sure he didnt leave evidence of murdering Laci..inside of their home. Yet he was totally ignorant when creating the lie he told about him going fishing in the SF Bay that same day.. Had he not told his exact location that day the police and searchers wouldn't have known to go to the SFB.

In most cases the suspect may be crafty in some aspects and totally disorganized and sloppy in other ways.

I don't see DW being different than other suspects who made mistakes. Many are able to get rid of weapons where they are never located yet make mistakes and leave other kinds of evidence behind.

Imo tho..

New info from Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC. SS called his sister and she called the CFO of AIW and told him to give SS a call.

The jury also heard from Ted Chase. He was the CFO of American Iron Works in May of 2015.

Over the course of about 20 minutes of questioning Chase explained all the steps he went through in order to get 40 thousand dollars in cash to the house.

On the morning of the 14th Chase testified he got a call from Savas's sister in Florida who told him to call Savas.

Chase says he dialed his cell phone and Savas told him he wanted 40 grand delivered to the house. He says Savas's voice was "perfectly normal--northing out of the ordinary at all" But "I was concerned" Chase said, "mainly due to logistical concerns".

I have a vague memory about the detail that SS called his sister, but that it wasn't covered much in the news IIRC. (Or I'm imagining that....it's been awhile!)

Yet another clue he was trying to send, perhaps - but it didn't alert anyone to action that SS called his sister instead of calling his CFO directly. Even for a family business, I would assume that chain of command for a large cash request is out of the ordinary.

Was there more info from the stand today about what else SS said in the phone call to his sister? Or was the conversation limited to "Tell Ted to call me." ??

jmo
It's been 3 years since this was discussed, but I recall that the sister worked for AIW as Controller. So that would make sense that SS phoned his sister about a cash withdrawal. It was also a way for SS to get more people involved to recognize a Red Flag.
This link is the best I could find currently with indication of SS's sister listed as Controller:
American Iron Works Incorporated

questionmark_mini.png
Who are the executives or contact person of American Iron Works Incorporated?
D[redacted] M[redacted] is the Controller of American Iron Works Incorporated.

It's been 3 years since this was discussed, but I recall that the sister worked for AIW as Controller. So that would make sense that SS phoned his sister. It was also a way for SS to get more people involved to recognize a Red Flag. This is the best I could find currently with indication of SS's sister listed as Controller:
American Iron Works Incorporated

questionmark_mini.png
Who are the executives or contact person of American Iron Works Incorporated?
D[redacted] M[redacted] is the Controller of American Iron Works Incorporated.
Aha. Then that does make sense he would contact her (and also with hopes she would pick up that something was weird).

Thank you for looking that up! Good detail to know.

Jordan Wallace's car was found inside the police perimeter, I think because he had rushed toward the house when learned of the fire (recall that he texted Amy to tell her he got a call saying the house was on fire and asking if she was ok). He arrived and parked and walked toward the house, and subsequently, police and other emergency vehicles blocked off the roads and then put tape up all around. I don't know how he got home from the house after he found his inside the perimeter -- maybe his girlfriend gave him a ride, maybe Nelly gave him a ride...

There is a photo many threads back of his car at the scene.

@Skigirl I found it in transcript of the preliminary hearing D Wint/ Savopoulos Preliminary Hearing | Courtroom | Witness

Looks like the defense was leaning toward the idea that the BMW was there before the firefighters arrived (pg18 lines 8-9). LE also testifies that JW was transported to 2nd District for questioning by MPD and his car was seized and searched. My question in the previous post was asking how he got home from dropping the money off if his car was still on Woodland Drive at the time of the fire. Still not clear, at least from the evidence available today, whether the car was there before or after the tape was put up. I also asked on the Fox5 podcast, if the Dominos Pizza delivery driver saw the garage opened or closed. That would have been interesting to know since the claim is that JW left 40 cash in an unlocked car in a unsecured garage/

@Skigirl I found it in transcript of the preliminary hearing D Wint/ Savopoulos Preliminary Hearing | Courtroom | Witness

Looks like the defense was leaning toward the idea that the BMW was there before the firefighters arrived (pg18 lines 8-9). LE also testifies that JW was transported to 2nd District for questioning by MPD and his car was seized and searched. My question in the previous post was asking how he got home from dropping the money off if his car was still on Woodland Drive at the time of the fire. Still not clear, at least from the evidence available today, whether the car was there before or after the tape was put up. I also asked on the Fox5 podcast, if the Dominos Pizza delivery driver saw the garage opened or closed. That would have been interesting to know since the claim is that JW left 40 cash in an unlocked car in a unsecured garage/
The pizza was delivered the night before the cash was dropped off. It's an interesting question about the garage door, but there were hours in between the pizza and cash for the door to be opened and closed, ykwim?

IIRC , JW dropped off the money in the morning, left in his car, and then raced back when he heard about the fire. He had his car the whole day, as far as I know.

jmo

The thing I can’t get past is... if DW just wanted to rob the place- plenty of stuff to pawn in DC, MD, NY- he could have done that when the S family was traveling with PS and karting, or visiting one of the S daughters at boarding school.

I believe they were being watched/cased. We’ve had some home invasions in “mansions “ in Atlanta and the perps were in and out quickly. Even when there were security systems, folks tied up...

So was DW the ring leader, a pawn of his brother, or a pawn of someone who needed SS taken out, as @Patrick Thomas indicated yesterday???

This is a perplexing case. I have followed it on WTOP since it happened.

The thing I can’t get past is... if DW just wanted to rob the place- plenty of stuff to pawn in DC, MD, NY- he could have done that when the S family was traveling with PS and karting, or visiting one of the S daughters at boarding school.

I believe they were being watched/cased. We’ve had some home invasions in “mansions “ in Atlanta and the perps were in and out quickly. Even when there were security systems, folks tied up...

So was DW the ring leader, a pawn of his brother, or a pawn of someone who needed SS taken out, as @Patrick Thomas indicated yesterday???

This is a perplexing case. I have followed it on WTOP since it happened.
One theory is that DW wanted cash, not items that he then had to pawn. And to get a huge amount of cash, he needed the people home to get it and to hold as incentive. If this was planned by DW alone or with his brothers without inside information, he/they might not have realized that getting cash in huge amounts takes time. Perhaps DW thought he could be in and out, but had to wait overnight for the bank unexpectantly.

It's not a perfect theory, but it does explain why goods were not stolen and why the home seems to have been targeted to make sure people would be held captive and to make the cash arrangements.

There are other theories as well, of course.

I would think that if someone like a business rival, etc. wanted to target SS, the hit would have been much cleaner. No need to torture women and a child, for example.

jmo

One theory is that DW wanted cash, not items that he then had to pawn. And to get a huge amount of cash, he needed the people home to get it and to hold as incentive. If this was planned by DW alone or with his brothers without inside information, he/they might not have realized that getting cash in huge amounts takes time. Perhaps DW thought he could be in and out, but had to wait overnight for the bank unexpectantly.

It's not a perfect theory, but it does explain why goods were not stolen and why the home seems to have been targeted to make sure people would be held captive and to make the cash arrangements.

I would think that if someone like a business rival, etc. wanted to target SS, the hit would have been much cleaner. No need to torture women and a child, for example.

jmo

Or maybe it was a “layered” hit like the Fred Tokars case... Fred got Eddie Lawrence to find a hitman - Curtis Rower.

JMO

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I agree with your post, especially the part about no need to torture and massacre women and a child.

But what if the person who wanted SS "targeted" did not predict nor expect anyone else hurt. Only SS.

What if the person knew that S.S. was usually working from home on Wednesdays. However, he was finishing up preparations for his new martial arts studio.

Ordinarily Philip would have been expected to be in school.

Also, what if the person behind this did not realize the extent of brutality D.W. was capable of?

Just throwing this out there. I guess I'm just looking at all sides of "the box", even underneath.

I just have so many questions. Especially, why was this particular day chosen over any other day?

Dear Inthedetails,

I agree with your post, especially the part about no need to torture and massacre women and a child.

But what if the person who wanted SS "targeted" did not predict nor expect anyone else hurt. Only SS.

What if the person knew that S.S. was usually working from home on Wednesdays. However, he was finishing up preparations for his new martial arts studio.

Ordinarily Philip would have been expected to be in school.

Also, what if the person behind this did not realize the extent of brutality D.W. was capable of?

Just throwing this out there. I guess I'm just looking at all sides of "the box", even underneath.

I just have so many questions. Especially, why was this particular day chosen over any other day?
Excellent questions - especially "why that day?" I do not think it was a random day, but specifically chosen. But did the person(s) who picked that day know about the doc appointment, know Philip would be home, know that Veralicia would be there (she planned to be at the studio)?

Did Savvas normally work from home on Wednesdays? I missed that!

Hmm....gotta think about this. Changes things, doesn't it.

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member