DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Wrigley1,

Welcome to this thread. I'm so glad you are here.

In my post #150 I mentioned the intense "intellectual training" involved in a technique that S.S. was "master" at.

This made me think of my chess-playing which I started in grade nine in the Chess Club!

I've played with friends over the years but I never "trained my brain" strategically . I think "strategy" but never near the intellect of S.S. In fact, my daughter at 10 could win against me. I just enjoyed the game but was not at a high level of strategy or even near it.

Therefore, there is no way I would "get" a subtle hint from him that something was wrong. Not that intellectually "subtle". No way would I get a red flag from his words.

I'm not putting myself down. I just don't think everyone works at "intellectual training. At least, not to the extent that S.S. did.

Just my opinion.

I found a reference for random people in the neighborhood before the murders:

“The police documents also show what appears to be an unusual amount of activity last week around the victims’ Woodland Drive NW home. Neighbors reported seeing a man banging on the door of one home, an aggressive vacuum cleaner salesman at another house, reports of a prowler, and what a witness said could have been the Savopouloses’ blue Porsche speeding down the street the day before the deaths were discovered.”

Housekeeper of D.C. couple found dead wondered if something was amiss

Thank you so much for finding this, taylorss !

It's possible that Wint just simply asked about the security system without asking specifically about the cloud. He could have said something like, "I know you have cameras. Where's the footage kept?" Savvas could have asked the question about whether the recordings were in the house or in the cloud.

Dear Patrick Thomas,

A few years back, on this thread, I posted a similar possibility.

My theory then:

My reasoning was that no one would talk or offer any information they had (and I believe they had some information) was because someone very powerful had enlisted D.W.

The threats that this unknown person would kill their families were taken seriously because of the person making the ominous threats. This individual is a criminal who has the power to have this "done". This person is "known" to them as doing this, organizing "hits" but not getting his hands dirty at the scene.

If there was an unknown person who was behind this, Wint won't give him up because he knows what this person will do to Wint's family and others he knows if he does talk.

Was the low sum of $40,000 requested to "pay" Wint for his work?

Was this a part of the plan?

Today although I lean towards D.W. being the only perpetrator, I still consider the possibility of someone who had a mind as shrewd and intelligent as S.S.

How can I not dismiss such a possibility?

After all, more than his business acumen, he had extremely high skills of strategy and technique.
It is because of the "strategy" and cleverness that he had experience with, it is difficult to believe that someone could "outsmart" him. I realize that his beloved son was being tortured for answers but was there any way S.S. could save himself and his family. I do not know.

From Legacy Obituary of Savvas Savopoulos:

"Savvas enjoyed numerous activities including martial arts, where he excelled in both knowledge and technical skill. Savvas was the current headmaster of a traditional style of Japanese swordsmanship dating to mid 1800's. His love for the martial arts started at the young age of seventeen and it was his dream to have a Japanese style center both in architecture and spirit of teaching traditional Japanese martial arts."

Hopefully the attorneys have googled as well as some of us.
I think the revenge motive is valid. Carried out by DW. Possibly two part revenge—revenge by DW and revenge on behalf of another party.
I do believe DW expected the house to burn to the ground.

JMO
I do not know anyone associated with this case.

It's possible that Wint just simply asked about the security system without asking specifically about the cloud. He could have said something like, "I know you have cameras. Where's the footage kept?" Savvas could have asked the question about whether the recordings were in the house or in the cloud.

What do you think would have happened if it had been cloud based?
What would DW do then?

Do you think SS was forced to be on speaker when calling the security company?

Just wondering...

Right, I can see that happening and then SS saying he would have to ask his security guy with the hopes that once he got the vendor on the phone, he could convey a clue.

But that's not the only call. There is the call to the pet spa and to the housekeeper to make sure she doesn't come to work. It's all just so....organized. Who cares about the pet spa - why bother with that call? Even the pizza order was organized (and included a tip!).

Are any of the perp's past crimes at this level?

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

Your questions are excellent and insightful (as usual).

It is the intellectual level that prevents me from wholly supporting that D.W. did this all alone, whether another perpetrator was actually there or on a burner phone with him, instructing him.

I believe we will hear more evidence that will help me see this more clearly.

If there was ever a case where new evidence "comes up", this is the one. I truly hope that something new "comes to light."

I don't doubt that D.W. was there. His DNA tells the story.

I just mean if anyone else was involved, it would be so good if that could be verified somehow.

Right, I can see that happening and then SS saying he would have to ask his security guy with the hopes that once he got the vendor on the phone, he could convey a clue.

But that's not the only call. There is the call to the pet spa and to the housekeeper to make sure she doesn't come to work. It's all just so....organized. Who cares about the pet spa - why bother with that call? Even the pizza order was organized (and included a tip!).

Are any of the perp's past crimes at this level?

jmo

Good thinkin!

Dear Inthedetails,

Your questions are excellent and insightful (as usual).

It is the intellectual level that prevents me from wholly supporting that D.W. did this all alone, whether another perpetrator was actually there or on a burner phone with him, instructing him.

I believe we will hear more evidence that will help me see this more clearly.

If there was ever a case where new evidence "comes up", this is the one. I truly hope that something new "comes to light."
Well, you are kind with your comments, for sure.

One question I am curious about - why $40k? I was hoping the testimony from the banker would be more enlightening than it was. But perhaps that person wasn't prepared to tune into irregularities (clues) because, as she said, she wanted to keep a top client happy.

Nobody (that we know of) said on the phone, "Are you okay? Is everything alright?" I guess people might not ask that of their boss/client. (I recall asking my boss that once, years ago, and he told me, "You're the first person in a long time to ask me a question like that." Aw. Turns out he wasn't okay, but that's a whole 'nother story and totally OT!)

I forgot about the speeding car the day before the fire. I'm thinking the defense will use that to show there must have been more than one person? Perhaps we'll find out.

Ack! This case! (Insert hair-pulling emoji here!:) )

jmo

One question I am curious about - why $40k? I was hoping the testimony from the banker would be more enlightening than it was. But perhaps that person wasn't prepared to tune into irregularities (clues) because, as she said, she wanted to keep a top client happy.

Nobody (that we know of) said on the phone, "Are you okay? Is everything alright?" I guess people might not ask that of their boss/client. (I recall asking my boss that once, years ago, and he told me, "You're the first person in a long time to ask me a question like that." Aw. Turns out he wasn't okay, but that's a whole 'nother story and totally OT!)

I forgot about the speeding car the day before the fire. I'm thinking the defense will use that to show there must have been more than one person? Perhaps we'll find out.

jmo

@Inthedetails What exactly do you think happened? Your ability for speculation is superb! I look forward to your responses now :D

@Inthedetails What exactly do you think happened? Your ability for speculation is superb! I look forward to your responses now :D
I really don't know.

When the perp was caught with the money and with other people, I assumed at least some of those other people were involved. But they were all released. That is puzzling.

Like others, I wondered about an inside job, but nothing ever developed along those lines either.

Just feels like there is still a chunk of info missing. Maybe it will all fall in place at the trial.

jmo

I really don't know.

When the perp was caught with the money and with other people, I assumed at least some of those other people were involved. But they were all released. That is puzzling.

Like others, I wondered about an inside job, but nothing ever developed along those lines either.

Just feels like there is still a chunk of info missing. Maybe it will all fall in place at the trial.

jmo

Good point. I don't think it will be possible to make sense of this until we get all the details.

good article:

Gruesome Mansion Murder Trial Opens With Shocking Twist
Daron Wint allegedly held a wealthy Washington, D.C. family of three and their housekeeper hostage, then beat, stabbed and burned them even after receiving a ransom payment.

The District of Columbia’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner determined that Amy Savopoulos, her husband Savvas and Figueroa, the family’s housekeeper, were stabbed and beaten to death, while 10-year-old Philip was impaled with the sword, and burned to death.

Police were lead to Wint by DNA recovered from a partially-eaten Domino's pizza found in the family’s multi-million dollar mansion that Amy Savopoulos ordered the night of the 13th, according to the warrant.

But Stein, Wint’s defense attorney, told the jury that Wint was lured by his brothers to the house. He said Wint ate pizza they provided downstairs, with no knowledge that they were holding people hostage upstairs.

daron_wint-1.jpg

As DW brother Darrell was with him at arrest & released immediately, I always thought intent was to watch him closely for more info. There should be records of everything DarrellW has said and done for the past 3 years, making it easy to refute any false claims DW presents about DarrellW’s role! Right??

Some say Darrell will testify for prosecution. Is there a witness list somewhere? (None of the court docs will load for me.) I did read Wint family will testify but figured that meant DW’s father, who turned him in. Or more precisely IIRC advised DW to return from Brooklyn to turn himself in, then informed police that DW was on his way back into town.

jmo
I’ve always thought $40K was such a random amount. We’re there 4 people involved and the thought that S.S. could provide them $10K each be the reason for $40K?

Do we really think DW was smart enough to think of the security system and the “cloud “while he is trying to contain 4 people? It had to be more perpetrators. To consider the money and the other housekeeper. IDK. Just a lot of pieces to remember and put together alone. IMO

I don't think DW was doing any of this. I think Savvas tricked DW by telling him he would handle everything that was done..

Imo what Savvas really wanted to know was if the camera footage was taken or destroyed would it still be accessible because he knew it would be vital evidence.

Imo he knew they likely were all going to be killed. He used his superior intellect pretending he was only helping DW. DW would think he was helping him but in reality Savvas did all of this to leave a trail for the investigators.

Imo he did the same thing when getting the 40K. He told DW he knew how to handle all of these things in order for DW to get the money..imo.

Savvas knew each communication they made would leave a trail of how all of this transpired during the time before they were all murdered.

DW wanted the money. He didn't know how to get it but Savvas assured him he did imo.

It doesn't take a mastermind or brainic to do any of this. He knew very well SS ..who was a successful businessman ..knew how to get all of this done and he took full advantage of it.

Jmo

Last edited:
IMO if SS and AS belived they’d all be murdered at the end, why so convincingly hide what was happening during their many phone calls with the outside world?

Just speculation IMO but their compliant behavior makes me think they hoped & trusted they’d ultimately survive.

If SS thought they were facing likely or certain death, his best course would be to say so outright & hope that outside help could lead to the best possible outcome. EG once DW knows he will be caught, he has new incentive to release his victims and avoid adding to charges he will face.

Per trial testimony it seems SS was murdered via being ‘stabbed in the back through the neck.’ So even the very end of his life came from behind, sight unseen, and presumably while he was still bound to chair - assuming MOO chair back covered most of his body, leaving only his neck exposed to the pathetic coward coming to kill him from behind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1