DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try and find it. On the podcast by the journalist I believe Channel 5 and the Mansion Murders. I will try and search.
Quoting myself. I have it saved from ABC news from June 2015 but it won't link here. Still trying.
I can hear Philips say, "No she" but then I can't make out anything else.

Thank YOU Skigirl. I know he is still shouting after "No she isn't ..." but couldn't make out those words. I have it saved from ABC news on my phone from June 2015 but can't get it to link here. I am thankful that you hear it too. Very sad.

Wow have no idea how that happened. Two posts in one. Yikes.

Hello all,

I am quoting my (above) post because I do recall a news article stating that the pizza boxes were in the trash.

However, in the Affidavit below the Search Warrant (in above blue link) in paragraph 21, Detective Michael Fulton states that:

"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

It's confusing to me as well! However I believe what he wrote in paragraph 21 was true.

Detective Fulton's request for Search Warrant with accompanying Affidavit were signed on May 22, 2015.
That is completely different! In this case, it definitely matters where the pizza was. It's good news if the box and crust were upstairs because that places him up there, but how could it survive the fire? Perhaps in an area outside the bedrooms?

I really need to be taking notes - seriously. This case is such a complicated one. (So many details yet still feels like we are missing so much info).

Thanks, ZC, for the update.

jmo

That is completely different! In this case, it definitely matters where the pizza was. It's good news if the box and crust were upstairs because that places him up there, but how could it survive the fire? Perhaps in an area outside the bedrooms?

I really need to be taking notes - seriously. This case is such a complicated one. (So many details yet still feels like we are missing so much info).

Thanks, ZC, for the update.

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I recall reading that the pizza boxes were in the trash and there was concern about cross contamination. I remember that. Was this info quoted by an unreliable source and printed? I tend to think it may have been.

Perhaps the police official would neither confirm nor deny that the pizza boxes were in the trash and a journalist ran with it. The police needed time to process DNA and run it through CODIS? Time was needed to check for and process DNA and not risk the perpetrator(s) running.

However, this Affidavit was sealed at the time and contains conflicting report - but a report straight from an Affidavit of Detective Fulton.

From what I understand the fire did not accelerate in the bedroom where "the 3 decedents were". It couldn't have, because the coroner was able to identify wounds, etc. This is the bedroom where the pizza boxes, according to Detective Fulton were recovered.

In the other bedroom, the fire completely burned, including furniture according to the affidavit. The evidence in that bedroom is excruciatingly heart-breaking to read.

Two bedrooms - one completely burned and the second was not completely burned and this second bedroom was the one where in Detective Michael Fulton swears in his Affidavit signed May 22, 2015, "two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

Last edited:
Dear Inthedetails,

I recall reading that the pizza boxes were in the trash and there was concern about cross contamination. I remember that. Was this info quoted by an unreliable source and printed? I tend to think it may have been.

However, this Affidavit was sealed at the time and contains conflicting report - but a report straight from an Affidavit of Detective Fulton.

From what I understand the fire did not accelerate in the bedroom where "the 3 decedents were". It couldn't have, because the coroner was able to identify wounds, etc.

In the other bedroom, the fire completely burned, including furniture according to the affidavit. The evidence in that bedroom is excruciatingly heart-breaking to read.

Two bedrooms - one completely burned and the second was not completely burned and this second bedroom was the one where in Detective Michael Fulton swears in his Affidavit signed May 22, 2015, "two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

Wasn’t the Domino’s delivery man on the stand last week? And his boss?
Did the delivery man and/or his boss identify the little label attached to the box as being from the store he/ they worked in?
Just curious...

Back in the beginning when the pizza crust was found, IIRC, the boxes were found in trash outside in a dumpster. Does anyone remember this? There were many questions if this pizza had been cross contaminated, if it would be useable as evidence?

Now they are saying totally different things that I have never heard. Does anyone else recall what I do?

Dear 1&2&3,

Yes I absolutely remember reading at least one news article stating that the boxes were in the trash as well as the concern of cross contamination.

Either this was something that the police let the journalists believe, whilst they had the DNA tested and compared in CODIS, or a journalist spoke with an unreliable source.

I trust the information as set out in the Affidavit of Detective Fulton, to which the public, including journalists, were not privy to because it was sealed at that time.

Last edited:
Dear 1&2&3,

Yes I absolutely remember reading at least one news article stating that the boxes were in the trash as well as the concern of cross contamination.

Either this was something that the police led the journalists to believe, whilst they had the DNA tested and compared in CODIS, or a journalist spoke with an unreliable source.

I trust the information as set out in the Affidavit of Detective Fulton, to which the public, including journalists, were not privy to because it was sealed at that time.

And the crime scene photos, which have been shown/will be shown to the jurors, should show the pizza boxes where they were really found. I have to go with affidavit... bedroom with decedents.

JMO

However, in the Affidavit below the Search Warrant (in above blue link) in paragraph 21, Detective Michael Fulton states that:

"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".
Return After Search of Ford
^^"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

Wint's defense team could say Wint ate his pizza slice downstairs and tossed the crust in the box before the other perps took the pizza boxes upstairs to the bedroom where the pizza boxes were found by LE.

And. . . . remember this - Wint "hates pizza":
D.C. Mansion Murder Suspect Is Innocent Because He Hates Pizza, Lawyer Says

May 30, 2015
A lawyer visiting Daron Wint, the man charged in the murder of a wealthy Washington, D.C. family, says Wint couldn’t have committed the quadruple homicide because he hates pizza.

^^"While canvassing the crime scene, two Domino's pizza boxes were recovered from the bedroom in which three of the decedents were located".

Wint's defense team could say Wint ate his pizza slice downstairs and tossed the crust in the box before the other perps took the pizza boxes upstairs to the bedroom where the pizza boxes were found by LE.

May 30, 2015
A lawyer visiting Daron Wint, the man charged in the murder of a wealthy Washington, D.C. family, says Wint couldn’t have committed the quadruple homicide because he hates pizza.

Yes, I remember that. Was that the first attorney? The one DW fired?
Then why was DW’s DNA on the pizza if he hates pizza? There must have been other food in the house for him to eat.

JMO

May 30, 2015

Dear SeesSeas,

I cannot believe that I had forgotten that Wint "hates pizza".

How could I ever forget such a formidable quote from a defense attorney?

Thank you for linking Detective Mike Fulton’s Affidavit in Support of an Application for Search Warrant for the Chevy and Ford. There definitely is a lot of interesting information in there about other parts of the investigation.

For example, in item 11 of the Background of the Investigation section, it’s written that JW says he watched the bank manager give Mr. Chase a manila envelope, which contained the money.

But just the other day, in Seattle1’s post #232 with the Fox 5 DC , the following was reported:

Chase says the bank didn't have an envelope big enough -- so he put the money in his pants pockets and walked outside. He then handed the cash to Jordon Wallace who put it into an empty back pack and drove off.

This all may have been sorted out a few years ago, but I’m not sure and to me it’s an interesting discrepancy to say the least.
I believe this was sorted out, because there are additional entries on the Affidavit in Support of an Application for Search Warrant in regard to the money.
Yes - item 11 of the Background of the Investigation section, it’s written that JW says he watched the bank manager give Mr. Chase a manila envelope, which contained the money.
Further reading to item 15 and 16 corrects that detail:

upload_2018-9-16_23-40-48.pngupload_2018-9-16_23-40-48.png

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Car-Linked-to-DC-Mansion-Murders-Suspect-Was-Torched-Like-Victims-Car-492433281.html?amp=y

My apologies if this has been posted.

Now the witness who saw the Porsche leaving the S residence says the driver looks like JW?

“But records show on July 31, 2018, that witness added another detail to his story. After he was interviewed by law enforcement, he saw a photograph of Savvas Savopoulos's driver, Jordan Wallace, on television and "thought the individual in that photograph resembled the individual he observed driving the blue Porsche."

LE didn’t show the witness a “photo lineup”?

Maybe I’m just not awake yet...

Always MOO

Dear Inthedetails,

Perhaps the police official would neither confirm nor deny that the pizza boxes were in the trash and a journalist ran with it. The police needed time to process DNA and run it through CODIS? Time was needed to check for and process DNA and not risk the perpetrator(s) running.

From what I understand the fire did not accelerate in the bedroom where "the 3 decedents were". It couldn't have, because the coroner was able to identify wounds, etc. This is the bedroom where the pizza boxes, according to Detective Fulton were recovered.

Thank you for this. It's helpful to have the affidavit information - and info that will be told in court, under oath.

This is giving me quite a pause. We rely on reporters for our information, and of course most journalists want to report the correct information....but things get tangled up. It's wise to always ask, "Where did this info come from?" There is always risk of something being taken as fact simply because it was reported and then repeated. Good reminder. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

The pizza crust is very important in this case....and something, I admit, that does strike me as funny. Not that the case is funny, but rather that so much attention is given to a gnawed-on piece of Dominoes pizza.

It seemed at first like the pizza crust was a "got him!" piece of evidence, but even the pizza crust is baffling.

This case really is unlike any other I've ever followed.

jmo

Dear SeesSeas,

I cannot believe that I had forgotten that Wint "hates pizza".

How could I ever forget such a formidable quote from a defense attorney?

Oh yeah, And remember, not only does he not like pizza... but neither does his brother!

"“[Wint’s] mother doesn’t like pizza, his sister doesn’t like pizza, his brother doesn’t like pizza,” Ficker told Guilfoyle. "

DC Mansion Murder Suspect's Lawyer: He Couldn't Have Done It Because He Doesn't Like Pizza

I believe this was sorted out, because there are additional entries on the Affidavit in Support of an Application for Search Warrant in regard to the money.
Yes - item 11 of the Background of the Investigation section, it’s written that JW says he watched the bank manager give Mr. Chase a manila envelope, which contained the money.
Further reading to item 15 and 16 corrects that detail:

View attachment 147468View attachment 147468

Thank you for pointing this out SeesSeas! I was going to edit my post to include those details further down in the Affidavit.

En re “not liking pizza,” DW’s sister addressed this in her long interview on the podcast. Her statement was basically IIRC, to paraphrase, ‘it’s true that he doesn’t like pizza, when we order pizza it’s like he’ll just have a few bites and not even finish the piece.’

So we go from a description of DW & his fam avoiding pizza..... to a description of them at times ordering pizza & DW eating it half-heartedly & leaving his crusts behind. Not so exonerating after all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1