DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for this. It's helpful to have the affidavit information - and info that will be told in court, under oath.

This is giving me quite a pause. We rely on reporters for our information, and of course most journalists want to report the correct information....but things get tangled up. It's wise to always ask, "Where did this info come from?" There is always risk of something being taken as fact simply because it was reported and then repeated. Good reminder. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

The pizza crust is very important in this case....and something, I admit, that does strike me as funny. Not that the case is funny, but rather that so much attention is given to a gnawed-on piece of Dominoes pizza.

It seemed at first like the pizza crust was a "got him!" piece of evidence, but even the pizza crust is baffling.

This case really is unlike any other I've ever followed.

jmo

I don't find the pizza crust evidence ...odd. Others who have invaded homes resulting in murder of the victims have also eaten food inside the home. They have found evidence on food items or dishes..glasses..water bottles etc. before.

What it does show is the total coldness of the murderers who can have an appetite while they are torturing their helpless victims before they murder them in cold blood. I think the eaten pizza speaks loudly about this defendant.

Imo

Thank you for this. It's helpful to have the affidavit information - and info that will be told in court, under oath.

This is giving me quite a pause. We rely on reporters for our information, and of course most journalists want to report the correct information....but things get tangled up. It's wise to always ask, "Where did this info come from?" There is always risk of something being taken as fact simply because it was reported and then repeated. Good reminder. Thanks for bringing to our attention.

The pizza crust is very important in this case....and something, I admit, that does strike me as funny. Not that the case is funny, but rather that so much attention is given to a gnawed-on piece of Dominoes pizza.

It seemed at first like the pizza crust was a "got him!" piece of evidence, but even the pizza crust is baffling.

This case really is unlike any other I've ever followed.

jmo

Dear Inthedetails,

I am greatly looking forward to the DNA evidence in this trial

I agree that the pizza crust is the key in this case because the saliva contained "nuclear DNA" as opposed to "mitochondrial DNA".

Nuclear DNA matches a certain individual. It "includes" only one person.

Mitochondrial DNA will "include" individuals who share the same maternal blood line. It can "include" thousands. Cousins, brothers, anyone who shares the same lineage to a materal grandmother will be "included".

The saliva contained nuclear DNA and that's why only D.W.'s DNA showed up on CODIS.

The hairs found likely contain Mitochondrial DNA which will "include" whomever shares the same maternal lineage. However, it can make a difference if the hair root is attached, along with skin cells.

Excerpt from the following article:

"Mitochondrial DNA is found in cell mitochondria – cell organelles located in cytoplasm responsible for supplying the cell with energy. Mitochondrial DNA is far more abundant than nuclear DNA with a typical human cell containing many thousands of copies of MtDNA as opposed to just one single copy of nuclear DNA."

"In many countries, governments have access to
DNA databases where the profiles of thousands of prosecuted criminals are stored. The DNA profiles are however, nuclear DNA profiles and not mitochondrial DNA profiles. This again contributes to the increased distinguishing power of nuclear DNA in crime solving.

"Further to this, mitochondrial DNA has no discriminating power between individuals as all people sharing a common maternal blood line will also share the exact same MtDNA profile. This means that one cannot distinguish between individuals from the same maternal line based upon analysis of their respective MtDNA profiles as profiles will be identical between maternal blood relatives."

Challenges in DNA Testing and Forensic Analysis of Hair Samples

Jordan Wallace will take the stand today.

Per Melanie Alnwick: (sbm) "prosecutors want to call Jordan Wallace today, there is a question whether he needs his attorney here. @fox5dc Defense says they have 2 lines of questioning where they expect him to plead the 5th. @Fox5Wagner"

(sbm) "Judge speaks privately with Jordan Wallace, ok’s his testimony w/o attorney. @fox5dc"

Melanie Alnwick on Twitter

Melanie Alnwick on Twitter

Keith L. Alexander on Twitter
Interesting! Plead the 5th?

jmo

Interesting! Plead the 5th?

jmo

Yes, that popped out to me, too!

Given what the 5th amendment means, it seems to me (IMO, of course!) that he did do something "wrong" that is related to this crime. I still don't really get the feeling he was involved (again, just my thoughts), and given how thoroughly he was investigated, it seems that the police didn't see enough evidence that he was directly involved in any way.

So, what would incriminate him? My guess is it's in regards to the lies about the timeline and details of the cash delivery (Source: FIRST ON FOX: Savopoulos assistant Jordan Wallace lied to police about details of $40,000 cash) He had also texted a picture of the cash to his girlfriend (also in the previous article).

They mention two lines of questioning where he'll plead the fifth, so I wonder if there's more than that involved. I'll admit, the first thought that popped in to my head was that he took some of the money and didn't deliver all of it. I don't really think that's true, but it's where my brain went first.

I am interested to learn more about his testimony today.

Given what the 5th amendment means, it seems to me (IMO, of course!) that he did do something "wrong" that is related to this crime. I still don't really get the feeling he was involved (again, just my thoughts), and given how thoroughly he was investigated, it seems that the police didn't see enough evidence that he was directly involved in any way.

So, what would incriminate him? My guess is it's in regards to the lies about the timeline and details of the cash delivery (Source: FIRST ON FOX: Savopoulos assistant Jordan Wallace lied to police about details of $40,000 cash) He had also texted a picture of the cash to his girlfriend (also in the previous article).

They mention two lines of questioning where he'll plead the fifth, so I wonder if there's more than that involved. I'll admit, the first thought that popped in to my head was that he took some of the money and didn't deliver all of it. I don't really think that's true, but it's where my brain went first.

Yes. I thought that perhaps he took some of the money (but I don't think he would - I mean, that would be very obvious to whomever counted it). I also thought perhaps they broke bank rules about how they took the money from the bank, but I don't think that is a legal issue?? IDK.

He did lie to the police the first time he was questioned, so maybe that's it?

Or something "new" to us. ?

Stay tuned!

edited to remove quote/reply I didn't mean to include.

I don't think the reasons he may plead the 5th has anything to do with any personal involvement in the planning with Wint nor kidnapping or the money Savvas wanted delivered or the murders themselves.

Savvas knew the amount of cash he was to receive so I don't think Wallace took any of the money.

It may be something else altogether and the prosecutor knows the defense is going to bring it up as a diversionary tactic.

I think the prosecutor has supporting evidence showing he wasn't involved in any manner.

Jmo

Early in the investigation, it was reported that JW allegedly lied to police about the "cash/bank" transaction. The defense can use this disparity to open questions about any other incidents completely unrelated to DC Mansion to discredit JW testimony. Pleading fifth is very appropriate here (or otherwise risk perjury charge for lying under oath). Nobody needs to know about lie JW may have told at age 12, 15, etc! Take note that JW was seen on video at hardware store during time line, and also working at the dojo with others. MOO

Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie 2h2 hours ago
Sister of Savvas testified in #MansionMurders trial that it wasn’t unusual for her brother to want $ quickly if he saw a deal on equipment; told her Weds night he wanted btwn $35-50k for an auction. @fox5dc It was unusual that he wanted it in cash.
Melanie Alnwick‏Verified account @fox5melanie
Witnesses this morning in #MansionMurders trial included Vera Figueroa’s husband, who went to house at 9:30 Thursday. Said he heard a noise like a chair scraping & thought someone was in the house but didn’t want to answer. @fox5dc

DnTiITEXoAA_CJv.jpg

DnTiIS-X4AEXtsK.jpg

8:10 AM - 17 Sep 2018

#MansionMurders trial update: Judge speaks privately with Jordan Wallace, ok’s his testimony w/o attorney. @fox5dc

7:09 AM - 17 Sep 2018

#MansionMurders trial update: prosecutors want to call Jordan Wallace today, there is a question whether he needs his attorney here. @fox5dc Defense says they have 2 lines of questioning where they expect him to plead the 5th. @Fox5Wagner

7:04 AM - 17 Sep 2018

Early in the investigation, it was reported that JW allegedly lied to police about the "cash/bank" transaction. The defense can use this disparity to open questions about any other incidents completely unrelated to DC Mansion to discredit JW testimony. Pleading fifth is very appropriate here (or otherwise risk perjury charge for lying under oath). Nobody needs to know about lie JW may have told at age 12, 15, etc! Take note that JW was seen on video at hardware store during time line, and also working at the dojo with others. MOO

Bbm. Yes, that's what I was referring to in my post and is discussed in the article I linked. He changed what date SS called him, details about the dropoff, details about the bank pickup, etc.

I really don't think, and was not implying, he did anything- he was clearly well investigated.

I think it would be appropriate to plead the 5th about those topics and that this is likely what it's about. Or, as another poster said, maybe something more peripheral that the defense wants to use as a diversion.

Bbm. Yes, that's what I was referring to in my post and is discussed in the article I linked. He changed what date SS called him, details about the dropoff, details about the bank pickup, etc.

I really don't think, and was not implying, he did anything- he was clearly well investigated.

I think it would be appropriate to plead the 5th about those topics and that this is likely what it's about. Or, as another poster said, maybe something more peripheral that the defense wants to use as a diversion.

Yes! He also lived in the same MD apartment complex as the Wint family and coincidentally met the Savopolous family at a racing event...

Anyone who has been put in a situation like this (being outright accused) needs to have good legal advice.

I genuinely have no idea if J.W. had anything remotely to do with this. I am just saying that I would expect "caution" to be used in an individual's testimony (e.g. pleading the 5th) as "good legal advice" for anyone in this situation.

Mansion Murders: Testimonies build timeline of events, phone calls prior to Savopoulos deaths
POSTED: SEP 17 2018 12:02PM EDT
VIDEO POSTED: SEP 17 2018 11:10AM EDT
UPDATED: SEP 17 2018 12:07PM EDT

WASHINGTON - The Mansion Murders trial continues in day four on Monday, as the jury will continue to hear testimony from those who knew the Savopoulos and witnessed their interactions the day they were murdered.

Testimonies in the past week have revealed the phone calls and communications husband Savvas Savopoulos and his wife made during the day prior to their death.
Mansion Murders: Testimonies build timeline of events, phone calls prior to Savopoulos deaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1