GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Daron Wint, the suspect in quadruple killings, takes the witness stand
October 10 at 3:18 PM
[...]
In a soft voice with a hint of his Guyanese accent, Wint peppered his responses with “yes ma’am” and “no ma’am” as his attorney Judith Pipe asked him questions. He wore black pants, a white-collared shirt and a green tie.
[...]
It is rare for defendants in the District, unless claiming self-defense, to take the stand in a murder trial, especially those represented by the District’s Public Defender Service.
[...]
With Savopoulos’s family sitting in the audience, Wint talked about how he came to the United States from Guyana in 2000 when he was 19 years old, sponsored by his father and stepfather.

Wint said he learned welding as a trade while in Guyana, taught by his father, and when he arrived in the United States he began looking for jobs as a welder. He applied and was hired at American Iron Works in 2003.

During earlier testimony, an employee of American Iron Works testified Wint worked there until 2005 when he was then dismissed for missing work.

They really did manufacture a nice testimony to fit the facts. I hope the State can poke enough holes in it to lock this guy up.

I am not buying this at all. He is not a wimpy, 'do what he's told' type of guy. Why would he let his brother order him around and mistreat him like that, and then stay buddies with him afterwards.

and what did he think his brother was doing upstairs while he was sitting downstairs eating pizza?

If they were there on a painting job, did he see paints and brushes and ladders? Why wouldn't his brother have him come upstairs and help if there was work being done all day?

There is no way that he didn't know it was a burglary. I've never seen housepainters wearing neon construction vests.

They really did manufacture a nice testimony to fit the facts. I hope the State can poke enough holes in it to lock this guy up.

I am not buying this at all. He is not a wimpy, 'do what he's told' type of guy. Why would he let his brother order him around and mistreat him like that, and then stay buddies with him afterwards.

and what did he think his brother was doing upstairs while he was sitting downstairs eating pizza?

If they were there on a painting job, did he see paints and brushes and ladders? Why wouldn't his brother have him come upstairs and help if there was work being done all day?

There is no way that he didn't know it was a burglary. I've never seen housepainters wearing neon construction vests.

DW knew it was a robbery-
From Megan Cloherty WTOP...
Wint testimony: Darrell says hat & vest bc they are going to ‘be unloading the house’ aka stealing & he didn’t want Daron to stick out. Daron testifies he says no. Throws the hat down. Leaves to find a bus stop. Darrell pulls up in Porsche, promising to take Daron to his van.”

JMO

Prosecutor can't even bring up that DW is an ex-con so I'm sure any gang affiliation would be considered prejudicial and not be allowed. MOO

Why can't he bring it up? Impeachable offenses can be used on cross.

Gangs in the DC area are usually and historically very loose affiliations. Usually called crews. They bear no resemblance to more formal gangs or the mafia. If you and your friends all sell pot in the block they may call you a gang/crew but that's a real misnomer. There are some real gangs in the area but I doubt there was a "Takoma Park Gang".

Daron Wint testifies in his own defense in Mansion Murders Trial
WASHINGTON - The trial of a suspect accused of murdering three family members and their housekeeper inside a Northwest D.C. mansion took a momentous turn on Wednesday when the defendant took to the stand.

Daron Wint – who faces a host of charges ranging from first-degree murder to kidnapping to arson – testified in his own defense for over two hours.

Wint told the court that he was inside the house on Woodland Drive that day, but it was his brother who tortured and murdered Savvas Savopoulos, his wife Amy, their son Philip and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa.
[ How convenient...]

Wint said the morning of the incident, he showed up at the painting company that employed his brother thinking that they would work together. His brother, Darrell, met him and said he needed his van for a job.
[ How many times has he ever gone to the painting company in the morning and asked to work that day?]

The defendant said that on May 13, 2015, his brother drove him to the house of his friend, Ed. Wint claims he spent the night drinking and, the next day, his brother returned in a blue Porsche. The pair then drove to the house, where they ate a pepperoni pizza.

[so where is ED, his main alibi? I imagine the state will be asking him that tomorrow, first thing.]

According to Daron Wint, his brother told him to go to the garage and put on a hard hat and a vest. When Darrell reportedly said he wanted to steal from the house, Daron told the court he left the scene to look for a bus.

[ LMAO...oh horrors, he heard his brother speak of stealing and he ran off in a huff? I doubt that.]

The defendant’s story offered an explanation for all of the DNA evidence investigators had discovered, except for the DNA that was found on a knife in the basement. Wint told the jury he never went to the basement.

Prosecutors will begin cross examination on Thursday.

[ I am looking forward this this^^^^]

Daron Wint testifies in his own defense in Mansion Murders Trial

Why can't he bring it up? Impeachable offenses can be used on cross.

Gangs in the DC area are usually and historically very loose affiliations. Usually called crews. They bear no resemblance to more formal gangs or the mafia. If you and your friends all sell pot in the block they may call you a gang/crew but that's a real misnomer. There are some real gangs in the area but I doubt there was a "Takoma Park Gang".
Maybe now that DW decided to testify and "open the door" so to speak. It's still up to the judge's discretion though. Thanks for update on DC gangs as I was not aware.

Maybe now that DW decided to testify and "open the door" so to speak. It's still up to the judge's discretion though. Thanks for update on DC gangs as I was not aware.

Slightly OT...
MS-13 is the area...according to BBC...2017
Not suggesting the Wint brothers belong to MS-13 as they are not from El Salvador...

“Members of an El Salvadorian street gang stabbed a man 100 times, beheaded him and cut out his heart in a park near Washington DC, police say.

Up to 10 members of MS-13 communicated on walkie talkies as they closed in on their victim at a recreational area in Wheaton, Maryland, say officials.

The victim's "heart had been excised from his chest and thrown into the grave", according to court records.”

MS-13 gang 'behead man' in Maryland park

JMO

Slightly OT...
MS-13 is the area...according to BBC...2017
Not suggesting the Wint brothers belong to MS-13 as they are not from El Salvador...

“Members of an El Salvadorian street gang stabbed a man 100 times, beheaded him and cut out his heart in a park near Washington DC, police say.

Up to 10 members of MS-13 communicated on walkie talkies as they closed in on their victim at a recreational area in Wheaton, Maryland, say officials.

The victim's "heart had been excised from his chest and thrown into the grave", according to court records.”

MS-13 gang 'behead man' in Maryland park

JMO
Thanks for gang post. I have to believe those responsible did this horrific crime for more than $40k whether it was street cred or something else. It's so painful to know that SS would have gladly handed over $50k on the spot (or more given time) for DW to take the cash and run. Why the overkill if not some evil faction??

I don’t remember seeing it reported that DW was a gang member and IMO he seems too antisocial even for a gang. He seems more like that guy with no friends at all. Even his family couldn’t stand having him around.

I don’t remember seeing it reported that DW was a gang member and IMO he seems too antisocial even for a gang. He seems more like that guy with no friends at all. Even his family couldn’t stand having him around.
darrell wint, darons brother, is the admitted gang member, according to the article.

As to why Darryl W has not testified...

Is there a possibility that the state was waiting for the Defense to lay out their story first. And then in Rebuttal, they could call Daryl to the stand, since they accused him etc. ?

I hope they do that....bring him to the stand to give reasons why that story is impossible..

As to why Darryl W has not testified...

Is there a possibility that the state was waiting for the Defense to lay out their story first. And then in Rebuttal, they could call Daryl to the stand, since they accused him etc. ?

I hope they do that....bring him to the stand to give reasons why that story is impossible..

Maybe they are gonna arrest DarrW?

JMO

There is also another scenario I have wondered about.

Let's say DW and his brother DW, did this crime together. But Darryl didn't leave any DNA and so they had no case against him. And he was an informant, so he helped turn in his brother, so that got him out of it too?

So I had wondered why Daron didn't throw anyone under the bus if he had help. And the only person I could think that he wouldn't rat out would be a brother. I think he'd rat out the SS driver if he could and he did.

But he hadn't accused his brother of being involved, until now. So maybe he always planned on blaming the entire thing on him, like he is doing now?

Street cred? You may be right.

Thanks for gang post. I have to believe those responsible did this horrific crime for more than $40k whether it was street cred or something else. It's so painful to know that SS would have gladly handed over $50k on the spot (or more given time) for DW to take the cash and run. Why the overkill if not some evil faction??

What if MS-13 was moving in on DarrW marijuana sales territory. And DarrW sent a message with some brutal photos...”stay outta my territory or you’ll end up like this”.
Yes, I have a vivid imagination. Thanks, Mom!

I still wonder why the obvious items like the Rolex and maybe AS expensive handbags and jewelry were left... maybe DW or DarrW took other items that no one knew about?? Jewelry?
Gold? Bearer bonds?

JMO

Oh wow. So he took the stand.

I havent been able to follow in past few days but happy to see the fool take the stand. His story is so full of BS its ridiculous. The only truth to it may be they both were involved.

The main reason his story stinks is one main thing. Guess who had all that money when he drove to NYC and splurged on his girlfriend. And we even have a witness that already claimed he was flashing cash around.

So if he was not aware of the burglarly then what was he doing with all that money? I seriously doubt his brother decided to just give him a money gift out of the kindness of his heart. LOL

So now he throws his brother under the bus. I bet his brother is happy about that. After he is convicted let his brother be in a room alone with him for a few hours and then go in to see if he is ok. LOL

Let the prosecution at em. Cant wait to see how this turns out.

I agree - with DW, it would have to be a gang of 1...

Oh wow. So he took the stand.

I havent been able to follow in past few days but happy to see the fool take the stand. His story is so full of BS its ridiculous. The only truth to it may be they both were involved.

The main reason his story stinks is one main thing. Guess who had all that money when he drove to NYC and splurged on his girlfriend. And we even have a witness that already claimed he was flashing cash around.

So if he was not aware of the burglarly then what was he doing with all that money? I seriously doubt his brother decided to just give him a money gift out of the kindness of his heart. LOL

So now he throws his brother under the bus. I bet his brother is happy about that. After he is convicted let his brother be in a room alone with him for a few hours and then go in to see if he is ok. LOL

Let the prosecution at em. Cant wait to see how this turns out.

DW testified DarrW gave him $300 for van rental and 6k for using the van when it became obvious it had to be burned.
DW testified he was aware of burglary on the 14th when they went to take the stuff...

JMO and what I read ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member