GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think DrlW will show his face in the courtroom. Prosecution isn't giving DW any credibility.
Or, the defense could call Darrell as a hostile witness.
If Darrell is innocent, he can tell the truth. If he is guilty, he can lie or plead the 5th.

I don't recall reading that Darrell testified to Grand Jury. Stefon did testify to Grand Jury.

Mansion Murders Trial: Daron Wint's brother takes the stand
The jury heard that Darrell Wint was with his brother, Daron, when he was arrested, but Darrell has not been charged in the case and has not testified so far.
Stefon Wint admitted that he could not be excluded from a hair found inside the home, but told the jury he had nothing to do with the crime and had never been to the Savopoulos’ house on Woodland Drive.
The jury also learned in court that there was bad blood between Stefon and Daron and that Stefon kicked his brother out after he had been abusive to his sister.
However, the prosecutor asked Stefon in front of the jury whether or not had he testified to the grand jury. He said he had done that and the prosecutor said he was not a suspect in the murders.

Good to know DrrW gave an interview and some info to LE - I wonder when that happened - presumably IMO 3 years ago, not long after the fire?

Really wondering if DrrW is still in the area. Per WaPo, he hasn’t responded to media requests for comment during the trial.

I haven’t seen anything about how SW was supposedly involved in the crime ? DW’s elaborate alibi has to place SW there due to hair found in room with victims that was mitochondrial DNA match with DW & SW but not DrrW.

My fear is that this defense story will bring up enough doubt to allow this violent creep to walk away from this.

Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
Trial update: The Cross Examination of Daron Wint.
Tense.
That’s the best way to describe the atmosphere in Courtroom 203.

Daron Wint was back on the stand. He stood just feet away from jurors as the filed into their assigned seats. Not one looked at him. In the gallery, a full house as court staff, legal interns, media and onlookers jostled for seats.

Prosecutor Laura Bach’s cross examination was rapid fire and sharp.

She often stood in the center of the courtroom with her hands on her hips or her arms crossed as she questioned inconsistencies in Wint’s testimony.

For example - Wint testified, and asserted again, that he mainly saw Philip Savopoulos during the years Wint worked at American Iron Works. In 2003, 2004 & 2005 - saw him at least once a week. Bach asked if he knew that Philip was actually living in the Virgin Islands in 2003, and that Savvas was actually running the company for 24 months during Wint’s employment and during his firing.

We learned that Daron was actually fired from his brother Steffon’s company, PCM, because Daron refused to wear a hardhat. And yet he testified that he willingly put on a construction vest and hard hat, because his brother Darrell asked him to in the garage of the Savopoulos home.

[...]

Or, the defense could call Darrell as a hostile witness.
If Darrell is innocent, he can tell the truth. If he is guilty, he can lie or plead the 5th.

I don't recall reading that Darrell testified to Grand Jury. Stefon did testify to Grand Jury.

Mansion Murders Trial: Daron Wint's brother takes the stand
The jury heard that Darrell Wint was with his brother, Daron, when he was arrested, but Darrell has not been charged in the case and has not testified so far.
Stefon Wint admitted that he could not be excluded from a hair found inside the home, but told the jury he had nothing to do with the crime and had never been to the Savopoulos’ house on Woodland Drive.
The jury also learned in court that there was bad blood between Stefon and Daron and that Stefon kicked his brother out after he had been abusive to his sister.
However, the prosecutor asked Stefon in front of the jury whether or not had he testified to the grand jury. He said he had done that and the prosecutor said he was not a suspect in the murders.

You only know that Stefon testified before the GJ because he testified at trial and thus his previously sealed testimony would have been ordered unsealed by the court when the government had to release it to the defense under discovery rules.

The USAO is, of late, releasing GJ testimony of expected witnesses at trial much earlier than they used to. But that timing is mostly voluntary on their part. There may be GJ witnesses whose testimony will not be released until they actually do testify at trial. Any Grand Jury information as to who testified is also under seal, as is testimony.

So we don't know whether Darrell testified before the GJ or not so far. If they use him for a rebuttal witness then at some point (maybe not until after he testifies), any GJ testimony will be turned over to the defense. The defense would obviously want it before that so they can have time to incorporate it into their cross of Darrell and investigate if necessary.

Starting up again

I cannot thank you enough @patriciah for being in the courtroom and reporting back to our Team Savopoulos @ WS.

Great job!!

DW scares me, to think he was the last person dear Amy, Savvas, Phillip and Vera saw.

Is he as creepy in person? I can't imagine being in the same room with him.

One of the women testified that DW had multiple phones: one for incoming calls and one for outgoing calls. Carried in paper bag.. Poor DW, he was with dead Ed, and no phone(s) while family was being tortured and murdered. I think the jurors must be smirking!

IIRC the women in the Chevy Cruze testified DW had 2 phones when they were with him after he returned from NY. Wasn't that about a week after the murders, not when he said he was with Ed?

JMO

IIRC the women in the Chevy Cruze testified DW had 2 phones when they were with him after he returned from NY. Wasn't that about a week after the murders, not when he said he was with Ed?

JMO
That’s right, this was the week after murders. He said he had a flip phone that he made calls on, and an LG phone that only worked on WiFi.

I cannot thank you enough @patriciah for being in the courtroom and reporting back to our Team Savopoulos @ WS.

Great job!!

DW scares me, to think he was the last person dear Amy, Savvas, Phillip and Vera saw.

Is he as creepy in person? I can't imagine being in the same room with him.

He’s certainly got a distinct look, but he’s pretty soft spoken. The judge keeps reminding him to speak up so everyone can hear. He seems small in stature to me, but the prosecutor asked/pointed out how much he was working out in May of 2015, and he admitted he wouldn’t have a problem overpowering a 5’8” man, or woman or ten year old.

BTW scrolling through Twitter I came across info on the earlier time DW tried to pin his crimes on his brother - busted for receiving stolen property two months before the Savopoulos murders & identified himself to LE as SW.

Twitter
He was pulled over on 3/23 and admitted to identifying himself as Steffon, said it was because he had no ID to get his van back. Was kicked out of Steffon home 4/1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1