GUILTY DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC
2 hrs ·

Facebook Creator
10/15/18

A couple of questions answered today in the #MansionMurders trial.

One, why didn’t Daron’s brother Darrell testify to the grand jury?
This revelation came out of earshot of the jury, when attorneys for the prosecution and the defense were arguing over language regarding how Darrell’s phone had been searched.

Assistant US Attorney Laura Bach said of Darrell: “he has been cooperative, he has been willing to provide testimony, he didn’t ask for immunity. WE decided not to have him testify to the grand jury. He hid nothing.”

The story about a housekeeper who saw a man watching the Savopoulos house was also clarified.

Turns out it was a woman who worked on Garfield Street NW. She testified that she saw a man who she was afraid of, two days before the murders.

Maria DaSilva spotted him around 5:15 pm on Garfield Street, near the intersection with Cleveland Ave and 32nd NW.

“He was pacing back and forth,” she told defense attorney Jeffrey Stein. “He was spitting on the ground, I had a great deal of fear.”

DaSilva said she saw him go around some bushes, then back into Cleveland Avenue and turn up 32nd - which is a short walk from the Savopoulos’ home at 32nd and Woodland.

She told the defense that she didn’t see the man’s face, and that he was wearing a baseball cap. He did not have long hair, or any hair that could’ve been tucked under cap, she thought - because she “saw him very well from behind.” She told the defense the man she saw was not Daron Wint - but that when her employer showed her the news reports of a suspect captured on surveillance video fleeing the scene of the burning Porsche, DaSilva thought that “could” have been the odd man she saw days earlier.

She admitted on cross-examination that the man could have been on drugs, based on his behavior, and that she never saw the face of either man.

The defense brought on other witnesses, who didn’ advance their cause very well.

Orlando DeLeon testified he was repairing a bus out on the street near where the minivan was set on fire late in the evening on May 15-16. He said he had his back turned, then saw a car fire behind him.

When he turned around, he saw a man wearing a white shirt get into the passenger side of a white pick up truck, and then the truck drove off.

Defense attorney Jeffrey Stein argued back-and-forth with DeLeon, challenging his testimony, because in grand jury transcripts DeLeon said the man got in the driver’s side. “I told them I assumed two people because the person I saw got in the passenger side and drove off“ “There is something wrong here, because I, as I said, saw the man get in the passenger side,” DeLeon asserted. He told prosecutors on cross-examination he could not say the man’s race or the length of hair, only that it was a white vehicle with no logo on the side, the man was wearing a white shirt, and that’s it.

An ATF expert in firearms and toolmarks testified about items she examined. Jennifer Owens looked at a box cutter, a knife (the one from the basement window), and a pair of scissors. Then she compared them to some cables taken from the house. The only thing she could say definitively, was that two gray cables recovered from the basement, were cut by some kind of a shearing tool like scissors or perhaps a special kind of wire cutter - not the basement knife with Daron Wint’s DNA on it. She also could not say when those cables were cut. As far as a telephone network cable - the markings were so small Owens could only say it was cut - but no tool could be eliminated.

The defense also wanted to introduce testimony that perhaps evidence was contaminated during the packaging process. Danyce Edwards worked for a brief time in the Central Evidence Unit. Defense attorneys wanted her to talk about the processing room, where items of evidence are brought in, sealed, and logged into the system, But Edwards didn’t work in the processing room, she could only see the processing room from her desk in the Central Evidence Unit.
Public defender Jeffrey Stein asked her if she had been terminated from CEU. “Yes”, she replied. Edwards said she was fired because of a gun (in an unrelated case) that should have been cleared of ammunition, but wasn’t. She also denied she was responsible for that error.
Prosecutors pointed out that Edwards really had no knowledge of what goes on in the processing room.

We expect another witness in the afternoon, a man known to us so far only as “Garnett”. Daron testified that Darrell stopped at Garnett’s house with him on the morning of May 13, before Daron was allegedly stranded at Ed’s house.

My colleague Paul Wagner FOX 5 DC is covering the afternoon session.

Fox 5 DC
Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

Court recessed for today. No trial tomorrow. Attorneys for both sides meeting with judge tomorrow to discuss jury instructions. The defense didn’t finish today, they expect to finish on Wednesday. Will write up notes as soon as I can.

Just wondering if there was ever any testimony as to time of death for the 4 victims. I mean, do we know for sure they WEREN'T already deceased when DW apparently left the house, walked around, and then was seen re-entering through garage? i have read several posts about him most likely not leaving them home alone when they were tied up so therefore there MUST have been an accomplice? Which I do think is true, but I can't find any info scrolling through the thread as to TOD for the victims. And thank you so much patriciah for relaying all the info for the rest of us.

Writing up notes now, but since I mentioned the Facebook group yesterday, I wanted to mention that there are a couple people who post there who tend to mix their facts with their opinions. So if anyone is reading there I'd recommend taking with a grain of salt.

Somebody better remind Darrell that acting to get the caravan girls to help exchange DW's ill gotten cash for money orders is likely punishable! Just sayin...MOO

True. Probably if he hadn't been so cooperative throughout they may have charged him with something.

Although I read today where the prosecutor really thinks he did the right thing.

It seem to imply what he told them from the beginning was very helpful concerning the case against DW.

They seemed highly incensed that DW tried to throw his half brother under the bus.

Keith L. Alexander on Twitter
Keith L. Alexander‏Verified account @keithlalexander
Attorney who #DaronWint tried to hire before turning himself in testified how he instructed Wint to pay him w/money orders. They were in phone contact from 6:15 pm thru 10:30 pm when Wint was arrested prior to making it to his office. No trial Tues. Resumes Wed. #MansionMurders
2:23 PM - 15 Oct 2018

Megan Cloherty on Twitter

Megan Cloherty‏Verified account @ClohertyWTOP
Defense expected to rest its case Wednesday. No court tomorrow, parties will go over jury instructions. It’s likely they’ll conclude closing arguments Monday. Case 2 weeks ahead of schedule. #MansionMurders #wint
1:03 PM - 15 Oct 2018

Meagan Fitzgerald on Twitter

Meagan Fitzgerald‏Verified account @MeaganNBCDC
NEW: Defense expected to rest it’s case on Wed. Closing arguments expected to start on Monday. Judge says the case is two weeks ahead of schedule. #MansionMurders @nbcwashington
12:59 PM - 15 Oct 2018

Just wondering if there was ever any testimony as to time of death for the 4 victims. I mean, do we know for sure they WEREN'T already deceased when DW apparently left the house, walked around, and then was seen re-entering through garage? i have read several posts about him most likely not leaving them home alone when they were tied up so therefore there MUST have been an accomplice? Which I do think is true, but I can't find any info scrolling through the thread as to TOD for the victims. And thank you so much patriciah for relaying all the info for the rest of us.
There is also the bloody footprint on Amy Savopoulos white pants that did not match Daron Wints. (I am assuming it was checked for size not matching) Time of death must have been between last phone call(Amy talking to sprinkler company) and fire reported. Heat from the fire can quicken rigor mortis of the corpses. Testimony was reported by Melanie Alnwick FOX 5 DC

Last edited:
Im confused about Darrell, I don't think he is involved in the murders but helped daron after the murders and I always thought that one of the reason is because he wanted some of that money. Obviously there was no evidence to charge him. But prosecution says that he has helped them. Any thoughts what do you all think about darrell?

10/15 Afternoon Session Notes - Brandon Cooper:
  • Before jury came in Bach said the prosecution planned to call 2 experts, and 5 other civilians in their rebuttal case. Didn't hear anything about Darrell testifying. The prosecution had just received GPS records for Steffon's vehicle but hadn't had a chance to review or share with defense team yet. No trial tomorrow, part of reason is one of prosecution's witnesses isn't available for prep until late tomorrow afternoon due to starting a new job.
  • Also before jury came in, defense indicated that they wanted to call a witness who would testify that Darrell sold marijuana all over Maryland at one point - not limited to specific neighborhoods. I think they wanted to call this witness to argue that Jordan Wallace could have bought drugs from Darrell, but the witness wasn't testifying specifically about Jordan, so the prosecution objected and the judge ruled that the witness's testimony is irrelevant.
  • First defense witness this afternoon was Brandon Cooper, 33 year old electrician from Takoma Park. Nickname "Coop," friend of Darrell -calls Darrell by his nickname, "Goo." They met in the Maple Ave. neighborhood of TP and have been friends since middle school. They were good friends in 2015, and Coop named his daughter after Darrell. Coop did not know DW. Judith Pipe asked a lot of questions about Darrell's phone(s). Goo had a couple phones and changed numbers a lot (he said everyone does (change numbers a lot)). Pipe asked if BC had ever called Goo and someone else answered the phone. BC said yes, but didn't know if it happened (someone else answering phone) in 2015. Said Garnette (confirmed spelling) has answered Goo's phone, that Garnette and Goo ride together all the time. BC has known Garnette since middle school, from neighborhood (not friends, just knows him). Pipe asked if Garnette does things for Goo and BC said yes. Pipe asked BC if Goo ever asked him to cover for him, and pointed to BC's grand jury testimony from 8/11/15. Goo has asked BC to cover for him when girl involved. Pipe asked BC what he did when he received the GJ subpoena in 2015. He said he tried to call Darrell, then texted Darrell and Darrell's girlfriend at the time (I'm trying to confirm the name of the girlfriend. They said it several times and it sounded like Wangooy - but that can't be right) BC deleted the texts after he sent them because he didn't want to be involved. Pipe started to ask about 5/14 call to Goo's phone - objection. Pipe pointed to transcript about others answering Goo's phone, BC said he didn't remember. BC clarified and said when he said that, he thought they were asking him about that night, of 5/14. BC doesn't remember Goo calling him on 5/13 or 5/14 and doesn't know where Goo was those days
  • Laura Bach questions BC. BC was an electrician in 2015, had to be on the job at 6AM or earlier. BC knew Darrell since growing up, knew his mom Roxanne, had been to her home. Didn't know Darrell had a brother Daron. Goo has 6 kids with 4 different women. (Jury laughed at this) Lots of women call Goo's phone. BC said it's not uncommon for men involved with multiple women to have more than one phone. BC occasionally went to happy hour with Darrell at Odalis, a bar near Society Lounge in Silver Spring. It was unusual for BC to stay out all night, hadn't done that since before he had his daughter (people laughed at this, including Amy's parents.) 5/13-5/14/15 are not otherwise important dates for BC, didn't remember what he was doing those dates. Wangooy(?) lived with Darrell in 2015. BC tried to call, and then text when he was on his way to grand jury. Darrell was listed as "El Capitan" in BC's phone in 2015. BC never knew Darrell to have more than 2 phones at one time. When Garnette would answer Darrell's phone, Darrell would call back within minutes. BC was closer friends with Darrell than Garnette was, but Garnette spent more time with Darrell than BC did. Garnette's daughter is the same age as one of Darrell's daughters. Darrell asked Coop to cover for him with girls, but never in this case, or as alibi.
  • Defense asks if BC spoke with a defense investigator in August 2018, and was asked about Darrell's phones. Objection. Defense investigator took notes and BC reviewed notes to ensure accuracy. BC said he no longer has Darrell's number saved in his phone. Darrell always had phone problems.

10/15 Afternoon Session Notes - Brandon Cooper:
  • Before jury came in Bach said the prosecution planned to call 2 experts, and 5 other civilians in their rebuttal case. Didn't hear anything about Darrell testifying. The prosecution had just received GPS records for Steffon's vehicle but hadn't had a chance to review or share with defense team yet. No trial tomorrow, part of reason is one of prosecution's witnesses isn't available for prep until late tomorrow afternoon due to starting a new job.
  • Also before jury came in, defense indicated that they wanted to call a witness who would testify that Darrell sold marijuana all over Maryland at one point - not limited to specific neighborhoods. I think they wanted to call this witness to argue that Jordan Wallace could have bought drugs from Darrell, but the witness wasn't testifying specifically about Jordan, so the prosecution objected and the judge ruled that the witness's testimony is irrelevant.
  • First defense witness this afternoon was Brandon Cooper, 33 year old electrician from Takoma Park. Nickname "Coop," friend of Darrell -calls Darrell by his nickname, "Goo." They met in the Maple Ave. neighborhood of TP and have been friends since middle school. They were good friends in 2015, and Coop named his daughter after Darrell. Coop did not know DW. Judith Pipe asked a lot of questions about Darrell's phone(s). Goo had a couple phones and changed numbers a lot (he said everyone does (change numbers a lot)). Pipe asked if BC had ever called Goo and someone else answered the phone. BC said yes, but didn't know if it happened (someone else answering phone) in 2015. Said Garnette (confirmed spelling) has answered Goo's phone, that Garnette and Goo ride together all the time. BC has known Garnette since middle school, from neighborhood (not friends, just knows him). Pipe asked if Garnette does things for Goo and BC said yes. Pipe asked BC if Goo ever asked him to cover for him, and pointed to BC's grand jury testimony from 8/11/15. Goo has asked BC to cover for him when girl involved. Pipe asked BC what he did when he received the GJ subpoena in 2015. He said he tried to call Darrell, then texted Darrell and Darrell's girlfriend at the time (I'm trying to confirm the name of the girlfriend. They said it several times and it sounded like Wangooy - but that can't be right) BC deleted the texts after he sent them because he didn't want to be involved. Pipe started to ask about 5/14 call to Goo's phone - objection. Pipe pointed to transcript about others answering Goo's phone, BC said he didn't remember. BC clarified and said when he said that, he thought they were asking him about that night, of 5/14. BC doesn't remember Goo calling him on 5/13 or 5/14 and doesn't know where Goo was those days
  • Laura Bach questions BC. BC was an electrician in 2015, had to be on the job at 6AM or earlier. BC knew Darrell since growing up, knew his mom Roxanne, had been to her home. Didn't know Darrell had a brother Daron. Goo has 6 kids with 4 different women. (Jury laughed at this) Lots of women call Goo's phone. BC said it's not uncommon for men involved with multiple women to have more than one phone. BC occasionally went to happy hour with Darrell at Odalis, a bar near Society Lounge in Silver Spring. It was unusual for BC to stay out all night, hadn't done that since before he had his daughter (people laughed at this, including Amy's parents.) 5/13-5/14/15 are not otherwise important dates for BC, didn't remember what he was doing those dates. Wangooy(?) lived with Darrell in 2015. BC tried to call, and then text when he was on his way to grand jury. Darrell was listed as "El Capitan" in BC's phone in 2015. BC never knew Darrell to have more than 2 phones at one time. When Garnette would answer Darrell's phone, Darrell would call back within minutes. BC was closer friends with Darrell than Garnette was, but Garnette spent more time with Darrell than BC did. Garnette's daughter is the same age as one of Darrell's daughters. Darrell asked Coop to cover for him with girls, but never in this case, or as alibi.
  • Defense asks if BC spoke with a defense investigator in August 2018, and was asked about Darrell's phones. Objection. Defense investigator took notes and BC reviewed notes to ensure accuracy. BC said he no longer has Darrell's number saved in his phone. Darrell always had phone problems.
Please remind me the significance of Garnette. Tia!

Please remind me the significance of Garnette. Tia!

DW and Darrell allegedly went to Garnette's house on 5/13 (DW said he stayed in the car), and on 5/21 after DW returned from NY. Garnette is a good friend of Darrell. He testified today, I'll get to my notes on him soon, I'm going in the order they testified.

10/15/18 afternoon -Next Defense witness Officer Albert Salaeh (not sure of spelling)
  • Officer AS is a metro PD investigator
  • On 5/21/15, AS was an officer working in the first district, not investigator yet. He was at the station and was asked to assist with the search of a prisoner. Prisoner was Darrell Wint. AS realized that he was brother of DW and not DW himself because Darrell didn't have dreadlocks. AS found $100-300 in Darrell's left sock.
  • Bach questions AS. He is now an investigator, which is a probationary detective. He had zero involvement in the case outside of the search on 5/21. Everyone who comes into the station is searched prior to going to an interview room, wouldn't want any weapons in interview room.

DW and Darrell allegedly went to Garnette's house on 5/13 (DW said he stayed in the car), and on 5/21 after DW returned from NY. Garnette is a good friend of Darrell. He testified today, I'll get to my notes on him soon, I'm going in the order they testified.
Thank you! Now I remember!

10/15/18 Next Defense Witness - Garnette Williams (brought his counsel with him to courtroom)
  • 31 years old, works in loss prevention at Ross. Knows Darrell - friends from the neighborhood (Takoma Park), friends since middle school.
  • In 2015 GW lived with his parents and sister on Malibu Ave. in Takoma Park. His daughter lived with him 50%. Pipe asks Garnette if he's ever spoken to her before today in court, she said GW didn't want to speak to her. She confirmed his lawyer is in court with him today because of this case. GW spoke to grand jury in 2015. Pipe showed GW his grand jury transcript from 6/2/2015 several times to refresh his recollection. GW did not know DW before this case. Morning of 5/21/15 GW got a call from Darrell. Darrell met GW outside of GW's house(his parents' house). Darrell arrived in a gray car - doesn't know who's car it was. DW was in the car in the back seat. GW didn't know DW before this, had never seen him or spoken to him before. GW got in the passenger seat and Darrell drove to College Park to the Howard Johnson's hotel. GW went inside and rented the room because Darrell asked him to. Darrell gave him the cash for the room. He doesn't remember the denomination, but reviews his GJ testimony and says it was a $100 bill and a few 20s. GW says he doesn't remember the grand jury testimony, doesn't remember 2015, doesn't remember anything. He's very difficult with Pipe. She asked if he showed his ID to reserve the room, and what kind of ID. He just says ID. She asks drivers license, passport? He just says ID. This goes on for a couple minutes, at least one juror was laughing. GW says he gave the change and key to Darrell, and went around the corner to wait for Darrell. Darrell came back alone, and GW never saw DW again. Darrell took GW back to his house on Malibu. GW called Darrell later that day but didn't reach him. GW has only known Darrell to have one phone and one phone number. GW has spoken to Darrell since 2015, doesn't have Darrell's number memorized. GW knows of Brandon Cooper. Pipe asks GW if he has seen or spoken to Cooper today in the courthouse. GW denies, says he was in the witness room outside of courtroom with his attorney, and only left for one bathroom break, and then came right back to witness room. Describes Cooper as an associate, not a friend. Pipe asks GW if he knows Cooper from Darrell's circle of friends, GW doesn't understand question. He says he went to school with Cooper and knew him from the neighborhood, but they're not friends, have never hung out, does not have Cooper's phone number. GW was worried about grand jury, got a lawyer. Govt told him they wouldn't prosecute him for renting the room, but got no other promises from govt. GW had heard news about murders before he got in the car with Darrell on 5/21. GW says he doesn't remember much about 5/21, or 5/13 or 5/14. He does not remember seeing Darrell on 5/13 or 5/14.
  • Bach asks about witness room for benefit of the jury, who hasn't seen the rooms. They are 2 rooms with doors directly outside the courtroom. GW's daughter is one year older than Darrell's daughter. The kids hung out at GW's house. in 2015 Darrell was splitting his time between his mom's home and his place with girlfriend. GW had been to Darrell & mom's apartment - they'd lived there as long as GW remembered. Doesn't remember being at girlfriends place. Bach asks GW if he knows anything about girlfriend and Darrell's living arrangement, girlfriend's mother or her mother's health - he does not know. GW only had one number for Darrell, the same 240-601 number that's been mentioned. Said Darrell didn't always answer his phone, but that no one else would answer Darrell's phone or call from it. Said Darrell had never left his phone at GW's house, never asked GW to drive the phone all around MD or provide a fake alibi. Never switched phones with Darrell, never used Darrell's phone, or credit card or debit card to order pizza. (GW seems much more comfortable answering Bach's questions than he does with Pipe). On 5/21, Darrell asked for a favor, and GW did the favor for Darrell - not for DW. DW was in the back seat of the car and GW didn't speak to him, didn't want to know anything. GW secured the room using his real name, real phone number. Darrell drove GW back to his house and it hits GW what he has done, and he is upset. GW says Darrell keeps saying, "It's my brother, it's my brother." When GW was called to testify to GJ he was worried, and the only people he talked to about it were his parents. Defense Objection. Bach asks if he thought he would be charged with a crime. GW doesn't know, says he didn't do anything wrong.
  • Redirect - Pipe asks if GW was honest with Bach when he met with her prior to his GJ testimony. He doesn't remember. Pipe asks if Bach asked him other questions - Bach objects.
  • A juror raises hand for a bathroom break and the jury goes out for 10 minutes. GW goes to talk to his attorney - not about testimony, about how long he's going to be in court, logistics.
  • While jury is out, defense mentions that they plan to call Lonny Bramzon, attorney who DW talked to about turning himself in. Judge asks DW if he understands he will be waiving privilege. Defense says DW will waive privilege only to communications related to turning himself in and money orders. Pros. objects to the limited waiver. Defense agrees to waive privilege for all communications with Bramzon for 5/20 & 5/21. Pros. agrees, DW says he understands.
  • Jury returns and Pipe questions GW. Asks if he told Bach the truth at their first meeting. Was he untruthful about anything? GW doesn't remember. reviews GJ transcript that says he admitted he was nervous, worried and untruthful. GW says he does not remember this testimony.
  • GW doesn't remember Darrell coming to his house on 5/13 or answering his phone for him.

Next Defense Witness - Detective Darryl Richmond of MPD sexual assault unit
  • in 2015 Richmond was a homicide detective, not lead on Wint case but did some work on it.
  • explains that in 2015 MPD used Cobalt - data entry system for reports
  • Richmond executed search warrant at hotel - 9113 Baltimore Ave, College Park for DW room.
  • Richmond had information that someone else had rented the room, retrieved the registration form and copy of Williams' drivers license
  • Took pictures of cash in drawer - 2 $100 bills. Collected cigarette butts but doesn't remember how many
  • Pipe shows Richmond photos of the hotel room, room 412. One picture is of carryout food containers. These are not listed in Richmond's Cobalt report, says he did not collect them. Collected empty cigarette pack.
  • Richmond interviewed Darrell on 5/28/15. Asked about whereabouts on 5/13 and Darrell said he was working at PCM or Unity (trash co). Richmond called and went to both of these companies. PCM had no records of Darrell working on 5/13, Unity had no records of Darrell working on 5/13. Unity had record that he had completed an application on 5/11 but no work records.
  • Bach questions next. Richmond has been with the police 30 years, detective 25 years. Interview with Darrell was 5/28, but the report was entered in Cobalt the next day. Darrell told detective he applied on 5/11 and that he worked on a truck with the owner's son on 5/12, and on 5/13 went back to Unity and PCM to look for work. Unity work was day labor work, and they didn't have work on 5/12, so they sent Darrell to another trash place, Elegant Recycling. Mr. Miguel is the owner of Elegant. Unity didn't have records because Darrell didn't work for them on 5/12, he worked for Elegant. Detective verifies addresses from 2015 report - Unity Disposal - 14862 Old Gunpowder Rd, Laurel MD. PCM - 10511 Tucker St, Beltsville, MD. PCM had documentation that on 5/15/15 Darrell attended safety orientation. The 5/29 cobalt report is just a summary about Darrell's employment, whereabouts - not a complete recitation of everything Darrell said to Richmond.
  • Pipe redirect - Unity told Richmond they sent Darrell to Elegant. Richmond didn't look at Unity records. No one at Unity said they saw Darrell on 5/13. Darrell told Richmond he went to "his job" at unity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1