DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - so they think there were others involved...and yet - the brother who was driving around, checking into motel with DDW, apparently involved in converting the ransom cash into cashiers checks - is taken into custody and THEN LET GO???? help me here....

http://nypost.com/2015/05/22/feds-barely-missed-dc-family-slaughter-suspect-in-brooklyn/

The ex-con who allegedly slaughtered a wealthy Washington family and their housekeeper fled to Brooklyn after the grisly murders — then took a costly ride back to the capital in a livery cab when he realized he’d become a wanted man.
Daron Dylon Wint, 34, was arrested Thursday night — eight days after he allegedly tortured and killed American Iron Works CEO Savvas Savopoulos, 46, his 47-year-old wife, Amy, their 10-year-old son, Philip, and their housekeeper, Veralicia Figueroa, 57, on May 13, police said.
He’d been staying in his gal pal’s Canarsie apartment since Sunday — but wasn’t concerned about getting caught until he was named as a suspect Wednesday night, a law enforcement source said.
Wint was “shocked” by the warrant for his arrest, the source added. He called his parents in Maryland, then hopped in a livery cab, forking over hundreds of dollars to get back to DC, the source said.
His parents got in touch with authorities, telling them he’d been staying with the paramour in Brooklyn. Marshals in New York City went to his girlfriend’s Canarsie pad, but missed him by a few hours, the source said.
“We tracked him up to New York City and barely missed him [Wednesday] night,” Robert Fernandez, commander of the US Marshals Services’ Capital Area Regional Fugitive Task Force, said Friday morning, CNN reported.
They tracked the gal pal down Thursday at the Jamaican restaurant where she works and brought her in for questioning at the 69th Precinct.

BBM:

If this is true, I hope his parents get the reward money.

Sorry, I can't help you. Couldn't they at least charge people found with him as accessories after the fact?

Very true. I must have been looking at an old mugshot, so I guess we have no idea what his hair looks like now OR if he even had dreads at the time of the murder. So even if the witness was right about "short well-groomed hair" it could still be him.

jmo

The mug shot that was tweeted today showed him with short hair. I'll try to find it.

We don't know if all the money was delivered. Wonder if we will ever know.

Three things:
1) I don't believe the perpetrator(s) had to torture the child to get the father to pull together the ransom money. Any parent would do anything in their power to get the money and get the people out of the house. As hard as it is to get $40,000 in cash on short notice (and it is very hard), it is just not that much money. As a parent, if I could get to it, I would give them every dime I could get my hands on to save my family. He/they tortured these people because he enjoyed it.
2) LE just said on CNN that the tall guy the marshal is talking to is NOT Wint.The man they're showing being arrested last night can't be Wint. He is 5'7", 5'8" or 5'9" according to court records. That must be his brother who is much taller. Unless the police arresting him are little people.
3) Does anyone think the Latiqua Nicole Cherry could be related to these murders? http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/2015/05/17/small-apartment-fire-kills-woman-in-oxon-hill/27483547/

Sounds like the reporter might be as confused as we are as to whether W-1 is the same person as IT.

Yes , that could be
Seems the writing is bad
They didn't find the envelope in the car, the red car is missing and they don't know if it is the same car????

Also, why wouldn't the police keep the people stopped with Wint in custody? Aren't they at least guilty of accessory after the fact or aiding and abetting?

Darron Dylon Wint, 34, is the only person charged in the murders so far, though the documents say Wint "and others" held the family hostage until $40,000 in cash was delivered Thursday.
Court documents also indicate more than person knew of the delivery of the $40,000 in cash to the Savopoulos family's home in the hours before the victims died.
In fact, one of those witnesses changed his story about that critical detail of the case while police were interviewing him, changing facts on when and how the request to deliver money was made and what happened during the delivery.
The person the documents call "W-1" said that an assistant to Savvas Savopoulos was told Wednesday evening to meet another employee Thursday morning to pick up a package. The employee took four bundles out of his or her pockets and put the cash in a red bag belonging to the witness.
The witness drove the assistant to the Savopoulos home, and called Savopoulos 10 minutes before arriving at the Savopoulos home. According to the witness, Savopoulos instructed W-1 to leave the money in a red car inside the garage.
The assistant put the money inside a manila envelope and left it on the driver's seat. Police did not find the envelope in the car during their search of the home.
Police said at Wint's court hearing Friday that they are still looking for a red car missing from the mansion's garage. It was not immediately clear whether this was the same vehicle."

This is from the link above. I am starting to think that this is more complicated than it has appeared.

OK - so they think there were others involved...and yet - the brother who was driving around, checking into motel with DDW, apparently involved in converting the ransom cash into cashiers checks - is taken into custody and THEN LET GO???? help me here....

They can't do anything with him other than question him until they find actual evidence that he participated in the crime. No matter what they do or do not suspect, they must have evidence before they can charge him.

Oh yeah of course I would think a father or any father would have those same feelings if they saw their child or any chIld go through that. I only said "mother" because I am one so its just my vantage point :)

And just for future reference- I often am very tongue-in-cheek or say/type things from a feminine/mom point of view but that definitely doesn't mean I think they only apply to women or moms, etc. (just FYI)

Oh, of course. I'm sorry and did not mean to imply otherwise, just adding a thought to your well stated thought.
I often fumble over my own fingers and that's one reason I rarely post. ;o)

I doubt he even knew what he was delivering. I don't think we should start throwing aspersions on someone without ANY evidence to support them. I have had theories on a couple of people who turned out to be completely uninvolved in this case.

Edit: I may have spoken too soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member