DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
or he could have lied because he is involved.

JMO

I don't know. If you had stolen from your employer, would you immediately have texted a photo of the money to someone? Knowing that eventually you would have to answer to the employer and with the possibility that the employer might call the police?

Wint so far is charged only in the death of the family patriarch, a wealthy socialite and business executive who ran American Iron Works, a large supplier of iron and steel to construction projects. Officials said additional charges are likely in the deaths of the wife, son and housekeeper.

ok maybe this clears up some of our confusion The assistant said Savopoulos instructed him to take the money from the red bag and put it in a manila envelope, then place it inside a red car parked in the garage at the family home. The assistant then texted another person a photo of a red bag with what appeared to be two bundles of money wrapped in white bands

Amy Savopoulos ordered two pizzas from a Tenleytown Domino’s at 9:14 p.m.

By Wednesday, they believed he had fled to Brooklyn, where he has family and friends. But a raid on an apartment there later that night turned up empty.

tracking the vehicles with a thermal-imaging camera — followed them into the District.

Court documents say authorities found money orders exceeding $10,000 and a large stack of $100 bills, the same denomination delivered to Savopoulos in the $40,000 delivery.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5b488a-0077-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

I think it is likely that SS arranged for the $40,000 ahead of time and it was for the opening of the studio. The flury of phone calls on Thursday morning was to inform the bank he couldn't pick up the cash himself and to arrange for the money to be picked up. The bank would have no reason to suspect something was wrong on Thursday if the withdrawal was arranged a day or so before by SS himself.

JMO

But how would the perp know about the 40 being prep[ared for removal from the bank ahead of time?

I am as confused as many others here, and I may be wrong, but:

IIRC, the exact amount of $40K was not requested by the perps. I have read here that SS instructed his people to assemble as much cash as possible from places (accounts) in amounts (withdrawals?) that did not require that SS personally appear at the institution (bank) to get it. And $40K was what his people came up with on Thursday. . . .

Apparently the amount that was given to the perps didn't satisfy them because the murders took place after the cash was delivered. Do we know if the full amount of $40K was actually received by the perps?

I think murders took place because perp(s) wanted to eliminate witnesses, not because they weren't satisfied with the amount. Did you see the suspect run in the video? He certainly didn't want to get caught.

Thank you so much. I hope to learn and contribute. I first learned about WS because of the Dermond murders a year ago and also Hannah Graham. Like many of you, I am awake most of the night thinking about the victims and their families and friends. Glad to be part of WS.

I don't know. If you had stolen from your employer, would you immediately have texted a photo of the money to someone? Knowing that eventually you would have to answer to the employer and with the possibility that the employer might call the police?

He did text and send the photo to W-2. I have no idea why he did what he did but he did do it and admitted he lied about it.

JMO

But how would the perp know about the 40 being prep[ared for removal from the bank ahead of time?

How the perp knew is unknown to me but could be known by police by now.

JMO

So the chatty housekeeper has zilch to do with the operation? No way you'd talk to the media thar much if you were involved.

I wish all LE worked with this swiftness.

This was briefly discussed a thread or so ago, but how/was the DNA processed so quickly? Killer on the run? Wealthy family? PD lab not backed up like other major American cities? Why?[/QUOTE]

Interesting question and one that I would like to know the answer to, too. IMO, it goes to show what we all know but many deny, the wealthy get preferential treatment!

The fact this mansion was blocks from the vice-president's mansion is just an excuse before the question is asked. The VP's house is highly guarded 24/7, I imagine

Could be, not not necessarily so. Saliva, apparently, provides an easy way to extract DNA. It doesn't take as much work to get DNA from a good source of saliva - like from a pizza crust - as it does to extract DNA from other evidence. LE was very happy to have that pizza crust, as one article described. I am sure this case is getting top priority, no doubt about it, but I think the ease of working with saliva, not to mention that the DNA had a match in the criminal system, made the process speedy.

JMO.

So the chatty housekeeper has zilch to do with the operation? No way you'd talk to the media thar much if you were involved.

I wish all LE worked with this swiftness.

This was briefly discussed a thread or so ago, but how/was the DNA processed so quickly? Killer on the run? Wealthy family? PD lab not backed up like other major American cities? Why?[/QUOTE]

Interesting question and one that I would like to know the answer to, too. IMO, it goes to show what we all know but many deny, the wealthy get preferential treatment!

The fact this mansion was blocks from the vice-president's mansion is just an excuse before the question is asked. The VP's house is highly guarded 24/7, I imagine

I don't agree at all that its because they were wealthy. I think they had a large reliable easy to test sample and a guy on the loose and on the run that didn't mind stabbing and setting a 10 year old on fire.

How the perp knew is unknown to me but could be known by police by now.

JMO

Did you read the report? First time W1 was contacted about delivering the money was on Wednesday. This wasn't planned in advance.

I think murders took place because perp(s) wanted to eliminate witnesses, not because they weren't satisfied with the amount. Did you see the suspect run in the video? He certainly didn't want to get caught.

ITA and as article above stated:
"The arrest affidavit says matter-of-factly that “after the money was delivered, the four decedents were killed.”"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5b488a-0077-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

Basically, perp(s) got what they wanted and murdered the victims and didn't want to get caught. And victims were tortured/beaten from Wed/Thurs (unless that's not correct), so the perp(s) had no intention of letting the victims live. Personally I think it was part of the crime/conspiracy and there isn't anything the victims could have done to prevent it. Money/Robbery was not the sole objective, jmo/

He did text and send the photo to W-2. I have no idea why he did what he did but he did do it and admitted he lied about it.

JMO

It may have been too tempting not to take the money out of the bag and handle it. When had he ever seen this much cash in one place? Look at that! Man I can't believe my job! Selfie. Sort of like the car interior pictures he posted on Instagram. W-2 has got to see this! Man-oh-man! Then later that day he finds out what happened and knows somehow the money had something to do with it. And he should never have touched it. He calls W-2, all upset. He tells police it was always in a manilla envelope, there was no red bag. Then they showed him the text photo and he was caught in a lie.

Could be, not not necessarily so. Saliva, apparently, provides an easy way to extract DNA. It doesn't take as much work to get DNA from a good source of saliva - like from a pizza crust - as it does to extract DNA from other evidence. LE was very happy to have that pizza crust, as one article described. I am sure this case is getting top priority, no doubt about it, but I think the ease of working with saliva, not to mention that the DNA had a match in the criminal system, made the process speedy.

JMO.

DNA tests were sped up because it's a heinous crime. Same when a little girl got raped and murdered. DNA tests came back very quickly.

I can see that, but then why didn't she call her husband to tell him?

Did you read the report? First time W1 was contacted about delivering the money was on Wednesday. This wasn't planned in advance.

Did you read the charging document? Where does it say the $40,000 withdrawal was NOT planned in advance? It doesn't.

JMO

ITA and as article above stated: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5b488a-0077-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html

Basically, perp(s) got what they wanted and murdered the victims and didn't want to get caught. And victims were tortured/beaten from Wed/Thurs (unless that's not correct), so the perp(s) had no intention of letting the victims live. Personally I think it was part of the crime/conspiracy and there isn't anything the victims could have done to prevent it. Money/Robbery was not the sole motive jmo/

Yes, after he (or they got the money), victims were murdered.
I am sure they didn't tell that to the father. I am sure to get victims to comply, they were promising them they will be released once money is delivered.

Did you read the charging document? Where does it say the $40,000 withdrawal was NOT planned in advance? It doesn't.

JMO

If it was planned in advance, why was W1 informed on Wednesday (and not before) about delivering the money?

It may have been too tempting not to take the money out of the bag and handle it. When had he ever seen this much cash in one place? Look at that! Man I can't believe my job! Selfie. Sort of like the car interior pictures he posted on Instagram. W-2 has got to see this! Man-oh-man! Then later that day he finds out what happened and knows somehow the money had something to do with it. And he should never have touched it. He calls W-2, all upset. He tells police it was always in a manilla envelope, there was no red bag. Then they showed him the text photo and he was caught in a lie.

Police have not identified W-2, how they found W-2 or why W-1 texted W-2. It may be that W-2 reached out to W-1 and asked for proof that he picked up the cash. W-2 may be the ring-leader.

JMO

Interestingly, one pizza completely un-eaten and only 1/4 eaten of the other one. So he definetely wasn't feeding the family.
Also suggests that he might have acted alone. There is no way two men could only eat a 1/4 of one pizza, is there?

Just speculating, if -
- DDW had accomplice(s) at S fam home that night, and
- some pizza was uneaten,
is it poss accomplice(s) ate something from fridge, pantry, or freezer?
Maybe not hungry when pizza arrived, or did not care for that kind of pizza?

IOW, does uneaten pizza necessarily point to DDW acting alone in S home? IDK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en