DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the father is not proclaiming DW's innocence.

I notice in the article the father is referred to as "Denis Witt" (not Wint). I assume these are just errors.

I cannot imagine what he is going through as a parent. To have your child accused of a murder would be hard enough. But to have your child accused of multiple murders. And murders as horrenous as these, I just cannot imagine.

If SS was bound to the chair, who recognized the HK husband so quickly that a call was placed immediately by SS to the husband? Surely, he could not see who was at the door from his vantage point.
He very well could of yelled when banging on the door, hello is anyone home, or called for his wife, and they heard him, that's my husband and he would of been identified. SS and AS may have known or met him and recognized his voice. He knew where their house was. And he may have picked her up or dropped her off at work. She didn't drive.

I cannot imagine what he is going through as a parent. To have your child accused of a murder would be hard enough. But to have your child accused of multiple murders. And murders as horrenous as these, I just cannot imagine.

And when I read his heartfelt message I became even more enraged at his sons/ Their father sounds like an intelligent, educated, compassionate man. There is no reason that these two had to choose gangs and the criminal life. It's tragic.

I believe the authorities said they thought this was not random, but targeted. I interpret targeted to mean a prior knowledge of occupants, their resources and their daily routine. It is likely that only the two women and the child were at home when taken hostage. I would think those targeting the family also knew the activity level of the neighborhood at the time of day they chose as well as how to approach the house without raising suspicions. So, yes, NG who mentioned she felt the perpetrator/s had some inside-track information is plausible. Naturally, given that she has been interviewed, she likely knows a bit more about the crime from law enforcement (and certainly family habits, level of security) than we do. But the question becomes how did perps come by this knowledge and what motivated their going to the trouble they did to choreograph their crime, take risks in such a protected and active area, while at the same time we know they made foolish, stupid, and blatant mistakes facilitating capture--or at least DW did in coming back, taking an expensive cab ride, not bothering to disguise himself in any way, donning gloves for dinner but donating saliva, while setting the fire in the middle of the day was completely unnecessary. Does this mean a smarter person engaged him and/or his crew, but their follow through was flawed, they lost control of themselves and the scene? If we speculate that some AIW employee with inside knowledge contracted DW and any accomplices to allegedly put a plan into lethal action, how would such a person be able to contact them and know they/he would be wiling to pull this off (or try to?)? If, in a reverse direction, the alleged participant DW were to have been connected in some way to the putative insider, how? Baffling to many the seeming disconnect between planning to gain access and to control contingencies. while following through with "overkill," and then reckless mismanagement in aftermath, a kind of self-implosion or destruction. I propose two things: if DW was a chief participant, chosen for his willingness and ability to terrify, he was all wrong for the job as his rage, violent impulse, and lack of caution overtake him. But if instead, DW, alleged perpetrator, possible "ring-leader," somehow bartered for intel, who and why would his source supply him with same? Maybe he heard it "through the grape-vine." JMO, humbly offered. Perhaps one is inclined to occupy oneself with puzzling this case because otherwise one goes mad being occupied by near-unimaginable horror one is helpless to have stopped, just as the victims were.

"Originally Posted by katydid23. Of course he was his friend. He mentored him in Go Kart racing."
.... JW described his job to LE as driving SS to and from work and doing other daily assignments for SS.
From charging doc's, not clear imo whether JW was on payroll of S fam, AIW, or ?

For driver/asst, a business owner could pay from own pocket and have him handle other personal, fam, household tasks - e.g., 'mentoring' (babysitting?) 10 yr old son.
Other biz owners want many of their personal/fam/household exp to be paid
from corp/biz funds (not saying it's legit, not saying Mr S did this).
OTOH, some biz owners have assts on biz payroll who drive for ofc commute & handle other tasks, legit biz tasks.

May be some gray areas in between. And it may not be relevant re anything, except perhaps as to amt of time JW spent at S home or AIW. IDK.

Of course it seems far-fetched because we do not know what motive would compel him or how he'd get mixed up with the sloppy, out of control perpetrator/s. I simply can not understand his careless lies--not mis-statements--but lies in the face of a murder investigation involving the deaths of a family who trusted him, and particularly one with a boy it appears he took an interest in. First of all, lying to the police is a red-flag. Second, the stakes were very high. His lies appear desperate, considering he was playing a somewhat crucial role in the early stages, when every detail is important to capturing the murderer and to making the case against him. A trustworthy, concerned, credible person doing his duty by his employer has no reason to cover his own tracks in any way whatsoever. Most of us would go to great pains to make an accurate accounting at this juncture and he, at the time he undertook the delivery, not knowing about the horror, was not himself in peril, traumatized, "under the gun," so confusion is no excuse. A person wanting earnestly to assist authorities in bringing a killer or killers to justice, unless he is grilled and threatened for hours, does not offer contradictory statements of fairly straightforward actions and does not drop the family and all cooperation with investigation if he has no complicity in the case. Still, I concede we only have LE's perception to go by--that his story was false in some important details--and we do know innocent people can be spooked when they sense they might become suspects and end up railroaded because of a rush to judgement. JMO.

After watching a three day Law and Order Marathon one weekend, I,stopped watching that show altogether. If there was a rich businessman, a kid in an elite boarding school, or a family in a gorgeous apartment on the UES...yep, they were the villains. Boringly repetitive and predictable. But one wonders...what IS the PURPOSE?

It's a popular metanarrative these days. Probably this hinky lawyer is hoping for a lot of those viewers who have been schooled by these type of shows and their constant propaganda...to resent the SS family enough to let DW walk free. "You've got to be taught before it's too late...to HATE all the people...they teach you to hate."

His problem is VG. This amazing hard working woman suffered just a terribly...and so does HER family.

Boringly repetitive possibly, but aren't the majority of those L&Os taken from real life cases that have been in the headlines? Most are illustrated accurately, a very few deviate from the reality of the case, and occasionally one is left open-ended as to guilt or innocence. That last style drives me nuts, lol.

Real life cases are a bottomless well of ideas for scripts. :D

By this time, investigators know why JW was fired and thus had to become a kind of family servant, not that I believe they would treat him as one, but his photo subjects and text speak to his personal values. I see them as a yearning to be a big wheel behind the wheel of a glam trophy car, not encouraging a child's go-karting career and acting as chauffeur to the trophy owners. Despite his bragging about his cushy job, it may have been a step down in his own mind. So he made the best of it by making the least claim he could, that he was entrusted with the objects of success, cars he endowed with a sense of power, influence, entitlement, social status. If he indeed sent the money bag pics to his girlfriend, he also equates material wealth with romantic/sexual conquest. He's an advertiser's dream audience and probably buys men's colognes that promise top-gun fame, billionaire magnetism, and the American dream from the 1980's in a bottle. I will bet he was fired not for being a hot-head or not having a winning social way, but for coveting his employer's goods and thus in some form, taking them. JMO and a jaundiced one.

bbm I wouldn't.

I would imagine since the pizza crust dna results returned there was no need to go there. jmo idk I see Savvas as a very good business man and not running some shady business at all. jmo idk

Although an incredibly powerful piece of evidence - the DNA is only a beginning. What's incredible is that they got it so early and that it matched some idiot already in the system. Fantastic!

I think it would be short sighted and absurd to not research any victim's personal affairs, financial issues, etc. as Cassie P stated. It never occurred to me she meant that the S family had any shady dealings. I took it to mean that along our paths in life, we come across people who for whatever reason might feel slighted or cheated out of something and want revenge for something real or imagined. Losing a job is an excellent example.

I don't think I'm alone in believing that DW isn't bright enough to have done this on his own and LE will continue to investigate and that would include thorough examination of all aspects of the victim's life, but especially the business end. It would be considered to be part of a thorough investigation and prudent to cover all bases. Successful prosecution would mean leaving no doubt whatsoever that someone other than the defendant/s could have committed the crime. Come at it from all angles to make sure no sleazy defense lawyer can get a toe in the jury's door/mind. We're already seeing an example of it happening.

If it will be investigated by a defense lawyer as a way to show someone else could have done it, I would bet that the prosecution would be investigating, too.

Also, I just looked back at the post I was replying to. I had said : " I dont think W1 would have wanted his little friend to die."

And the reply was : " what makes you think he was his friend?"

SEE the connection and why I answered the way I did? The post did seem to imply that he DID have no issue with him dying, imo.

I was the one who asked what made you think he was his friend. I don't think W1 was a "friend", hired or otherwise to PS. Not being friends with someone is not equivalent to being okay with them being burned alive. There is a whole range of possibilities between friend/mentor and cold-blooded torture-murderer. <modsnip>

Interesting that the father is not proclaiming DW's innocence.

I notice in the article the father is referred to as "Denis Witt" (not Wint). I assume these are just errors.

Remember, DW (and some of his brothers) has a long rap sheet, including threatening his father and his father's family. The dad was granted a year-long restraining order against his son, so he has seen the devil within.

Just looking on the positive side about JW, the driver/assistant. At the time he was interviewed by LE the first time, did he know about the murders?

If he did not know, then I could see him lying about leaving the money in an unlocked car. He was thinking it was a mistake for him to leave it in the unlocked car and someone had taken it, now he was being accused of stealing the money.

Wonder if the garage door was open during the night and open Thursday morning when the money was delivered? Just another theory.

I think it was a step up because SS was very involved with international motorsports and motorsports organizations. I think he had cars that were amazing for a racer to drive, an appreciation for racing, the means to fund a team (whether he would have is another story) and lots of connections in racing. I think it was a golden opportunity. I think that short-term avarice got in the way of that once he started really getting exposed to a wealthy person's lifestyle. JMO.
I've wondered if the appointment of SS to that international racing group would have precluded him from being anyone's sponsor. Would doing so be a conflict of interest? If so, how would JTW have felt if he had invested time working his way in with someone who would not be in a position to help him achieve the dream?

Just looking on the positive side about JW, the driver/assistant. At the time he was interviewed by LE the first time, did he know about the murders?

If he did not know, then I could see him lying about leaving the money in an unlocked car. He was thinking it was a mistake for him to leave it in the unlocked car and someone had taken it, now he was being accused of stealing the money.

Wonder if the garage door was open during the night and open Thursday morning when the money was delivered? Just another theory.

He knew. IIRC he called the AIW employee crying when he found out. Was contacted by LE after.

Also, the first photos I saw of the house after the fire, the garage doors were closed. I saw others later with the doors open, but of course I can't speak for which were taken first - I assume closed until the investigation was underway.

....Wonder if the garage door was open during the night and open Thursday morning when the money was delivered? Just another theory.
sbm bbm

Jumping off ^ post re (vehicle) garage door, to thinking about other door(s) to garage.

SOS - requesting help from our tech wizards - any photo(s) of S fam home showing whether an exterior pedestrian door accessed garage, without going thru other parts of house? Or could alarm system record LE how JW (or ?) accessed?
Could JW or anyone enter S home without opening vehicle garage door(s). Floor plan thru R/E website? IDK.

Neighbors or ppl in area would be more likely to notice open vehicle garage door than a ped door into garage, imo jmo moo. May tell LE something about timing?

Thx, 1&2&3, for the idea.

Even if it's real, this is not the time, place, method to reach out to your long-lost cousins who have just had their parents and brother murdered. Tells more about BS than anything that she would take this opportunity to air the family's dirty laundry.

Jeez, the most direct route would be for her to contact LE. LE might want to talk to her now after being made aware of her pleas for help. No stone unturned, but maybe that's a reason why someone would avoid contacting LE directly for help. Especially since they (LE) might delve into the backgrounds of relatives... Maybe, but what do I know. :)

Some of us have posted about JW's change from track job/driver to
Mr S's asst/driver. Do we have enough info about objective and subjective issues to say w certainty whether it was a step up or down? I think it would depend on details & specifics. IDK if a talking head has more background than we do, before making stmts & drawing conclusions on the air.

Someone here commented: go-kart driving is a career path to Formula 1 racing. Is it any more likely than playing middle school baseball, football, or basketball is a career path to playing pro? Just saying only a small fraction of hobby team players make it to the Big Time w prof career w mega-earnings.
JM2cts and I may be all wrong.

My opinion is that it puts him in a prime position to be interacting daily with your boss. Lots of private time if needed. He may be driving him, but it's absolutely a trusted position. I don't know why he was let go from the autobahn, can someone enlighten me :)

I believe it's a step up as far as opening the door to a variety of opportunities. The alternative was to not be offered a job at all, so I choose to see it as a good thing for him. :D Of course, I have no idea what he thinks.

W-1 would have to be a new level of idiot to text a photo of the cash to his girlfriend in the middle of a high-stakes extortion crime. It doesn't make sense to me at all. He's super shallow and materialistic, but texting photos of cash to a girlfriend is not the game face of someone in the middle of a home invasion / extortion crime. To me that's exculpatory in his favor. Likewise, I think he lied to investigators because he was scared and stupid.

I could argue the other way, while still agreeing with the stupid part.
He is texting a picture of the money to his girlfriend as in "Hey Babe, we are in the money now!"

You aren't the only one...

*sigh* I saw two comments towards bottom of page - Facebook comments - then I made the mistake of refreshing the page and they disappeared. Big ole' blank spot now. <modsnip>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ricardo55