DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be interested in a discussion about what SS's right move should have been, at various points. For example, cowardly as this sounds, I think SS getting out of the house himself would have been a great move, at any opportunity including the very first moment he came home. Would Wint escalate to murder knowing that he was leaving a surviving witness? The rational move would be to try to physically stop SS from leaving and, failing that, getting out of that house himself. What kind of criminal is going to stay cornered in a house in order to escalate his crime?

SS presumably carried a cell phone. Run for the door, yelling "I'm calling 911!" Get to the street. Call 911. Game over in 3 - 4 minutes. If Wint had any brains at all, he'd be using those minutes to get out of the neighborhood.

I think it's hard to say because we don't know the circumstances...was this DW only, half a dozen perps in the house, etc. The perps could have also been disguised as it takes up virtually no room to carry nylons and wearing them over the face looks really freaky and intimidating boot plus it goes on instantly. I think SS was doing whatever the best thing was at the time based on how the situation presented itself.

Maybe JW was used to deliver the cash because SS didn't want the accountant from AIW near the scene, maybe the accountant has a young family or similar, it may simply have been a 'rank' issue .. Couriering the cash was more of a drivers job, also if he'd asked the accountant to deliver it that may have raised suspicions ...

LE could have dusted for prints where the cars were parked. Although leaving the cars outside in the drive way for a week might not help the cause if they were looking for prints on the outside of the cars.

My suspicion is they took them somewhere to be processed for forensics, trying to find DW's DNA inside one of the vehicles.

Wouldn't that put a twist in THINGS?

I wonder why they waited until now to take them?

If there was a crew then they needed to come and go in some vehicle. You would think someone had to have noticed a strange car, van, truck parked outside the home over night or someone had to drive the get away car before the house was set ablaze.

I can tell you one thing. A crew of perps didn't leave in a Porsche 911. A Porsche 911 is basically a two seater. There are back seats, but trust me you there is not enough leg room for an adult to sit there. As you can see in the pic there isn't even enough room for a child seat.

2013_porsche_911_int_lt_120613_600.jpg

With this house on embassy row apparently next to an official foreign residence, you'd think that government and other governments around there would have official security protocols to report and investigate such things in order to protect these government officials.

If there was a crew then they needed to come and go in some vehicle. You would think someone had to have noticed a strange car, van, truck parked outside the home over night or someone had to drive the get away car before the house was set ablaze.

I can tell you one thing. A crew of perps didn't leave in a Porsche 911. A Porsche 911 is basically a two seater. There are back seats, but trust me you there is not enough leg room for an adult to sit there. As you can see in the pic there isn't even enough room for a child seat.

2013_porsche_911_int_lt_120613_600.jpg

How about the Amerit Box Truck parked close. It was with DW when caught, the subs could have been posing as a mobile mechanic, green vest and all.

My gut says that DW was calling the shots and knew that JW wouldn't rat him out, because my gut also says that JW played a role in some way, even if he didn't know how things would end (and because he was crying, it seems that he didn't know).

I am surprised there isn't more video from other homes in the area
Maybe there is and it has not been released

Maybe it was the other way around. JW wanted Wint's help. ?

But why do a home invasion just to steal expensive cars?
He could have EASILY set up a fake car jacking and have DW steal one of the expensive cars from him. No muss, no fuss.

I think SS was doing whatever the best thing was at the time based on how the situation presented itself.
But this is factually false, by outcome. There was no possible worse outcome. Therefore the strategy was wrong. My question is, what would the best strategy have been? Even from the first moment walking in the door?

Even if there were 10 bad guys in the house, SS was still on the phone. There was always a chance. Right down to that call to VF's husband to send him away. VF's husband had the right instinct and was right there to help, pounding on the door. What if SS had screamed on the phone to him, "Call 911!! He's got a knife! Help us!"

I see VF's husband calling 911, and then I see him breaking into that house to save the love of his life. All he needed was for SS to say the word.

It is hard to believe not a single person in the neighborhood saw anything that went on. Or that no security cameras from neighbors picked anything up. Let's hope we just don't know what evidence they have against whom. There HAS to be more.

Adding to my prior reply ....

SS's coolness under fire, honed as a successful CEO and even in motorsports, turned out not to be an asset in this situation. We know Philip was screaming, and we know that Wint didn't trust either of the women to be on the phone, other than AS briefly with Domino's. But SS was cool under fire and was able to communicate with a variety of people, sometimes with extraordinary requests ($40K cash on almost notice, mysterious drop of cash in car, etc.), without anyone being suspicious enough to push further, let alone involve LE. Even poor VF's husband, banging on the door, was somehow sent away with a ludicrous call by SS, even when the husband knew that there were people in the house and cars parked everywhere.

Wint's had a masterful accomplice in SS, who also helped keep the others calm and quiet. I know what SS was trying to do and what he hoped would be the result of full cooperation, but I subscribe to the notion that anyone willing to tie up my family, while not wearing a mask, means to kill us all. In fact, that's the logical ending. Why should Wint leave four eyewitnesses alive?

I think this is a stumbling block for police investigators. They intuit that Wint must have had an accomplice to control those four murdered people for so long. He did: SS. :(

At the same time, I know SS was only trying to save his family and VF from harm. He was motivated by his heart and his belief in the humanity of fellow man, even a captor. But his son had the better instincts.

I would be interested in a discussion about what SS's right move should have been, at various points. For example, cowardly as this sounds, I think SS getting out of the house himself would have been a great move, at any opportunity including the very first moment he came home. Would Wint escalate to murder knowing that he was leaving a surviving witness? The rational move would be to try to physically stop SS from leaving and, failing that, getting out of that house himself. What kind of criminal is going to stay cornered in a house in order to escalate his crime?

SS presumably carried a cell phone. Run for the door, yelling "I'm calling 911!" Get to the street. Call 911. Game over in 3 - 4 minutes. If Wint had any brains at all, he'd be using those minutes to get out of the neighborhood.

I also believe, and this is proven, that thinking through scenarios and decisions in advance helps make those decisions immediate and successful in real life. This happened to me in one emergency situation, and I reacted instinctively - but only because I had thought through what I was willing to risk, and I was therefore not afraid of violence, nor did I freeze in surprise or caution. Part of my interest in this case is trying to think through the proper decisions that should have been made. As a society, we need to be smarter and not just victims to criminals. Don't let the bad guys win the same way again and again. Next time, we'll be prepared, but only if some lessons are learned.

Do you think 4 guys with box cutters are ever going to control a U.S. commercial jet again? They weren't even about to keep control of the 4th plane that day, because the passengers had learned what happened to the first 3 planes. This is how a society keeps the upper hand.

SS could have been duct-taped to a chair the entire time right after getting home. Phone call? DW dials and holds phone to SS's head so he can talk. Everybody else (except the boy at least on NG's call) has tape over their mouths. Not much he could do in that scenario at all except risk yelling "call 911" into the phone. But then probably PS would get it. So he didn't. The adults also had blunt force injuries. Maybe Wint hid inside the house with the other three already gagged and bound upstairs and ambushed SS by hitting him on the back of the head as he came in.

I don't remember reading anything that stated JW was recently replaced as PS' driving coach.
Link?

JMO

We don't know how JW got in and as you point out there was no reason that JW was needed to drop off the money. SS didn't need JW and could have just had the AIW employee that was the bank signatory do the whole thing. JW is some rooking employee of SS's who had only been there a few weeks after he got fired from his last job - why use him if you don't have to - and we don't know whose idea it was to use JW. We also don't know what conversations JW overheard in his capacity of SS's driver, like perhaps hearing SS talk about AIW's bank accounts, so JW could have indeed helped DW by telling him about the accounts and how much was in them as well as who SS talked to about them. Everything you say may be true, but we can't just say for sure that it is true.

SS was already giving JW a tremendous amount of trust and responsibility, by giving him the keys to his very expensive cars and letting him drive around. Those cars were worth way more than that red bag full of money was. So I don't think he was that concerned about giving him that chore. It makes total sense that SS asks his driver to deliver a package to his home, NOT his signatory. His driver was hired for that type of errand. His accountant was not and would probably be suspicious and ask questions if he was asked to do that instead of the errand boy. I have a hard time seeing an accountant wanting to leave a manilla envelope full of cash on a car seat in a garage by the street. He would have surely wanted to hand it to SS or his wife, imo. JMO

Someone posted an article where the new coach stated that.

He could have EASILY set up a fake car jacking and have DW steal one of the expensive cars from him. No muss, no fuss.

True.

That's where the money comes in. If JW wanted the car, then he'd have to pay DW to do the carjacking. Where would he get the money to pay him? Well, you extort it.

But this is factually false, by outcome. There was no possible worse outcome. Therefore the strategy was wrong. My question is, what would the best strategy have been? Even from the first moment walking in the door?

Even if there were 10 bad guys in the house, SS was still on the phone. There was always a chance. Right down to that call to VF's husband to send him away. VF's husband had the right instinct and was right there to help, pounding on the door. What if SS had screamed on the phone to him, "Call 911!! He's got a knife! Help us!"

I see VF's husband calling 911, and then I see him breaking into that house to save the love of his life. All he needed was for SS to say the word.

And even then, the monster would have had time and enough anger to slaughter them all before help could arrive.

It wouldn't just be for that. If JW was involved he could know about S/AIW bank accounts, what personal valuables the Ss had and where they were located in the house plus there would be the cars as well. If JW went to DW, JW could give a whole laundry list of things.

That's where the money comes in. If JW wanted the car, then he'd have to pay DW to do the carjacking. Where would he get the money to pay him? Well, you extort it.

Not necessarily. You say to DW, I can get us a great car, and you don't even have to REALLY carjack anyone. Just punch me in the eye. Then you drive it away to this location. We meet up later and fence it and split the profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member