DC - Savvas Savopoulos, family & Veralicia Figueroa murdered; Daron Wint Arrested #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess RA didn't see the damage.

The husband of Veralicia Figueroa, the housekeeper who was killed alongside her employers in their DC mansion last week, has described the moment he went in vain to find his wife.

Bernardo Alfaro went to his wife's place of work on Embassy Row last Thursday after she didn't return home on Wednesday night and his calls went straight to voicemail.

After banging on the door with no answer, and aimlessly calling her phone, he walked round to look through a back window.

http://www.floridanewstime.com/regi...from-inside-saying-his-wife-wasn-t-there.html

BBM

Another twist. Very strange.

Does a customer authorization cover 'third party privacy' concerns? I don't understand the ins and outs, but apparently it is one of the motivations for LE to get a legal SW as opposed to one person signing off. If the authorized customers phone is roaming another network, LE needs further authorization, which a SW can provide.

eta:

LAW ENFORCEMENT TELEPHONE INVESTIGATIONS ...
www.armstrong.edu/.../LE Telephone%2..
. TIP: If the target phone is roaming on another provider's network – .... Section 2703(c): A court order, search warrant or customer consent is required for the release of records of ...

Plus, this is such a serious case...I don't think LE is taking any chances! They are getting SW. They had full authority to do so and no Judge would deny them. So why not do it?

WOW; strange. I would think that id he saw a broken window and kicked in door that he would have called 911????? How could he miss that? Was it done later as a staging thing?

IIRC, pix of back of house showed 2 sets/pairs of French doors, so one set would have been the kicked-in door w bootprint?
Entirely poss. that glass would be broken too, but I missed ref to broken glass.
Was VF's husband referring to Fr doors as the 'window' he looked thru. Did he look thru intact pair & not notice bootprint, or wood splinter or fracture on other pair?
Broken glass w/be more noticeable than wood splinter or fracture.

JM2cts, could be all wrong.

W1 may have handed the red bag over already. However, not known if LE has it:

<snip>

Authorities provided no explanation. In the search warrant application for the vehicles, police said they were looking for a red bag used to hold the ransom money, clothing ...Police have not said whether any of these items have been found.

I believe LE is still looking for the boots that match the boot print on the door:

<snip>

Detectives found a boot print and are searching for footwear that might match the tread pattern.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...1c5d44e_story.html?postshare=5361433357837407

If I am understanding correctly, this means that, whether or not the red bag has been found, police have reason to speculate that it might have been used to hold all those things used in the crime? (There were more things listed after clothing that you cut out, right? Like the weapons and duct tape, etc.? That would tell me that LE definitely thinks that there is a very good chance that they are referring to the red bag that was used by JW to hold the ransom--because it is stated. The same bag that JW said he did not leave in the car. Hmmmm. It is not hard to connect those dots. IMO.

I'm thinking this case is or will be going to the grand jury before charges are filed. JMO

That's simply untrue. Most might be able to tell from the information I posted earlier regarding telecom data retention that I am quite knowledgeable in this specific area..."career wise". The authorization is legally bulletproof and has been used for years between telcoms and LE.

<modsnip>

<modsnip> Sorry, just answering with what I have always been told. My Dad has had clients that cooperated fully and cops still got search warrants, for the reasons I described. You may say it was unnecessary, but they did so anyway so who knows.

U.S. appeals court: No warrant needed for stored cellphone location data

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...90e28e-f34d-11e4-b2f3-af5479e6bbdd_story.html

The case arises out of the 2012 conviction of Quartavious Davis for a string of robberies in the Miami area. He appealed his conviction, in part, on grounds that the cellphone tower records used to place him near the crime scenes were obtained on a court order and should have required a warrant.

Federal investigators obtained Davis&#8217;s records with a court order based on &#8220;specific and articulable facts&#8221; showing &#8220;reasonable grounds&#8221; to believe that his cell tower location records were &#8220;relevant and material&#8221; to the investigation. That is a lesser standard than a warrant based on probable cause that the records sought will yield evidence of the crime.
&#8220;Cell tower location records do not contain private communications of the subscriber,&#8221; the court said in its ruling. &#8220;This type of non-content evidence, lawfully created by a third-party telephone company .&#8201;.&#8201;. does not belong to Davis, even if it concerns him. .&#8201;.&#8201;. Davis has no subjective or objective reasonable expectation of privacy in [the phone company&#8217;s] business records showing the cell tower locations that wirelessly connected his calls at or near the time of six of the seven robberies.&#8221;

IIRC, pix of back of house showed 2 sets/pairs of French doors, so one set would have been the kicked-in door w bootprint?
Entirely poss. that glass would be broken too, but I missed ref to broken glass.
Was VF's husband referring to Fr doors as the 'window' he looked thru. Did he look thru intact pair & not notice bootprint, or wood splinter or fracture on other pair?
Broken glass w/be more noticeable than wood splinter or fracture.

JM2cts, could be all wrong.

I haven't seen any pics from back of house....and I have looked. Do you happen to know where I can find them?

If I am understanding correctly, this means that, whether or not the red bag has been found, police have reason to speculate that it might have been used to hold all those things used in the crime? (There were more things listed after clothing that you cut out, right? Like the weapons and duct tape, etc.? That would tell me that LE definitely thinks that there is a very good chance that they are referring to the red bag that was used by JW to hold the ransom--because it is stated. The same bag that JW said he did not leave in the car. Hmmmm. It is not hard to connect those dots. IMO.

You are making assumptions that just aren't there.

Other employees have made statements that SS was at the Dojo.

PS was 10. He hears strange noises, and he might have been terrified. His bedroom might not have been in a place that he would have heard the breaking glass. I don't see actually a mention of PS's cell phone being mentioned in the SW, so likely he didn't have one - or it would have been mentioned. He may not have had an extension/cordless in his room.

Because PS didn't make a call for help does not prove anything, IMO.

If he is your average 10 yr old boy, he was playing video games or listening to music or a movie. Mine used to wear those blasted headphones all of the time.

Well, no one's been arrested except for Windt.

If I gave your permission to search my home and even signed a consent and LE discovered the body of the individual who they suspected me of killing, that evidence would not be excluded as evidence because I gave my consent for them to search

But if the thought they were going to arrest someone else, wouldn't they get a SW, just in case?

<Modsnip> Sorry, just answering with what I have always been told. My Dad has had clients that cooperated fully and cops still got search warrants, for the reasons I described. You may say it was unnecessary, but they did so anyway so who knows.
My apologies for coming across as unfriendly, it was not my intent and such behaviour will not continue. I'm sorry

U.S. appeals court: No warrant needed for stored cellphone location data

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...90e28e-f34d-11e4-b2f3-af5479e6bbdd_story.html

The case arises out of the 2012 conviction of Quartavious Davis for a string of robberies in the Miami area. He appealed his conviction, in part, on grounds that the cellphone tower records used to place him near the crime scenes were obtained on a court order and should have required a warrant.

Federal investigators obtained Davis&#8217;s records with a court order based on &#8220;specific and articulable facts&#8221; showing &#8220;reasonable grounds&#8221; to believe that his cell tower location records were &#8220;relevant and material&#8221; to the investigation. That is a lesser standard than a warrant based on probable cause that the records sought will yield evidence of the crime.
&#8220;Cell tower location records do not contain private communications of the subscriber,&#8221; the court said in its ruling. &#8220;This type of non-content evidence, lawfully created by a third-party telephone company .&#8201;.&#8201;. does not belong to Davis, even if it concerns him. .&#8201;.&#8201;. Davis has no subjective or objective reasonable expectation of privacy in [the phone company&#8217;s] business records showing the cell tower locations that wirelessly connected his calls at or near the time of six of the seven robberies.&#8221;

When an issue gets to the appeals process and then to the supreme court and all of that, LE is going to be very cautious and do everything the safest way, imo.

Jake Tapper on CNN will discuss case soon

New entry on DW's court docket.

06/03/2015 Order Denying Motion Entered on the Docket Order Denying Motion Entered on the Docket signed in chambers by Judge Winston 6-3-15 ordering that the Motion to Quash Subpoenas is denied as moot. Order docketed and copies forwarded from chambers 6-3-15. VDJ

But if the thought they were going to arrest someone else, wouldn't they get a SW, just in case?
Think of one's signed legal document, that's stood the test of time giving, giving LE one's authorization to search (whether it be your mobile device & data or your home) as the equivalent to a warrant without having to go through all the things necessary to get a warrant. All the evidence obtained via search authorized by one's authorization/consent is admissible as if it was obtained via warrant.

No, it is a list of things they were looking for when the warrant was filed.

Other employees have made statements that SS was at the Dojo.

Yes, which I already said, but how does that make it a normal day? We have no information as to when he got there, how long he was there, who all he was there with, what he did that day prior to going to the dojo, etc.

PS was 10. He hears strange noises, and he might have been terrified. His bedroom might not have been in a place that he would have heard the breaking glass. I don't see actually a mention of PS's cell phone being mentioned in the SW, so likely he didn't have one - or it would have been mentioned. He may not have had an extension/cordless in his room.

How would the perps know that unless they had inside information? It's not that he'd hear the breaking glass, but that he'd hear the VF and/or AS in response to either the glass breaking or seeing the perps. It would be an awfully dangerous move to spend days scoping and plotting this operation and rely - without inside information - that one of the occupants could not/would not call for help. PS may have been fully incapacitated and lacked a phone of any kind in his room, but knowing that is a different thing.

Because PS didn't make a call for help does not prove anything, IMO.

It proves there was at least one occupant in the house who didn't call for help despite there being an apparent forced entry, which you're right it doesn't prove for instance that this wasn't staged to only appear there was a forced entry as that could be why there was no calls from help by any occupants. This is the metaphorical dog that didn't bark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyclic8