Death Penalty Vs Life in Prison and Why

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

do you want Casey to get the death penalty?

• yes

Votes: 106 59.2%
  • no

Votes: 73 40.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I say let the punishment fit the crime.
That is justice IMO.

how can you be so sure?

otoh there are two jurors i am confident will not vote for the dp

3016...a man who said he would not and hhjp only got him to say that he could "consider" it

he said he would not vote for it

the other is #4...who will vote to convict (imo) but not for the dp

cause she is against judging, due to her beliefs.

it is one thing to be strong against your juror peers when they argue points that clearly show guilt...she will not withstand that, as she is not unreasonable.

but you cannot "reason" someone against the dp to vote for it

otoh some on this thread have indicated ICA has turned them around

so...maybe there is hope.

i didnt do the numbers but there are several on this jury that imo will not vote for the dp

i want the dp

just so SHE knows what the world thinks of her

and so that she'll have to live the rest of her life as a dp person

in solitary, waiting for the next appeal

i just prefer the lifestyle that will afford her

but i'll be SHOCKED if this jury gives it to her

not gonna happen

unfortunately

Well they only need 7 out of 12.

I personally could never vote for the dp, so I'd have to say LWOP. What thoroughly sickens me is all the attention she'll continue to get with the casey cult that will continue to follow her and make her feel 'special.' If they could put her in general population and take away her fan club that would be a better punishment for this narcissist. There should just be some kind of law against that.

Life because I can't stand the thought of her being protected in prison and I want her to deal with everything that goes along with being in general population.

Life because I can't stand the thought of her being protected in prison and I want her to deal with everything that goes along with being in general population.

Casey will probably not be going into general pop. she will be isolated from other prisoners like she has been in jail for the past 3 years.

She is a high profile inmate and she is at risk of being killed or seriously injured and the prison she'll be going to WILL be sued if that happens. I don't think they will be willing to take that risk.

At first I thought LWOP....with all the evidence we already knew... (because I felt bad for the A's)

But now...after the 84 VISITS to the chloroform making sites, the stone cold affect in court that displays no remorse or for that matter, any human emotion of any type, having a defense that uses MORE lies and if one couldn't further think she could ravage her family anymore...she stoops to a depth of evil that is unspeakable.

To me, this= a Psychopathic criminal who deserves the death penalty (sorry, Cindy)

(btw...What blows my mind is that her defense team doesn't even bother to clean her up, dress her nice and coach her to proper grieving mother/respect the court decorum. To me, this speaks volumes).

One thing this break in trial proceedings has caused me to do is think. And if the jurors are like me, it's not going to be good for her. Hopefully they are better people, able to remain fair and impartial because at this point I am NOT. Is there no end to what this girl will do. I am beyond sickened by this this trial, this case. This is the first case I have ever followed and only since the trial began. I am just downright pizzed! First and foremost, if guilty, which I believe she is, for the agony she caused her child. Secondly, the agony she caused and continues to cause her family. Lying that Caylee was missing, when she knew she was dead. That in and of itself is like sticking in the knife and just twisting it over and over and over again into their hearts. Throwing her family under the bus by horrendous, life-altering accusations, even IF true, will not exonerate her of this crime. So, for what? To what end?
She has lied to family, friends, law enforcement, and the community playing with emotions and sending them on wild goose chases for months. For what? To what end? She is a self-centered, liar, manipulator and thief. She has stolen peoples money, time and energy, played with peoples emotions for what? To what end? I don't believe I have the right to make the decision to take someone's life and for that reason could never sit on a death penalty case and would always vote LWOP. I read and listen to people's opinion of this defendant, case, attorneys, verdict and penalty. I saw a clip recently pointing out several cases where crimes even more horrendous that this one (no disrespect intended) involving homicide of children where the death penalty was not given. I have to say, the longer I watch, read, listen to this case and see what this woman is capable of doing to not only her child but everyone around her. It's like she is saying f*ck you to the world and it makes me sick. I swear today I could vote for the death penalty not only for causing the death of precious Caylee, which is reason enough, but for all of her actions surrounding her death to date.

Sorry if this is not the right place for this, but thanks for letting me vent. Maybe I can sleep now.

I've been thinking about this a lot since I started watching the trial. Clearly, there are many of you on here who have years invested in this case, and I can't imagine what it would be like for you to watch for three years, to see Casey be so emotionally unattached and unremorseful towards what is such a truly such a tragedy, the death of a beautiful, innocent child. Justice for Caylee is a phrase repeated often, and it makes me wonder what we could ever do that would actually balance the scales in this situation.

While I believe in the death penalty, I feel that even taking Casey's life wouldn't be equal to the pain and suffering she's caused. It's not inherently equal to what she's done, because she's been the given the chance to prevent it. She has had a choice, where Caylee had none. Ultimately Casey chose herself, her Bella Vita if you will, over the life of her child, which is a violation of one of our most basic instincts as humans. IMO, she will continue to view herself as a victim, and she will continue to revel in the notoriety she'll get because she's not capable of understanding the difference between loving attention and attention period. I've come to believe that the worst possible thing we could do to her is ignore her. Change her name, move her to some unnamed prison where she can't get her "fan mail", and deny her access to anyone who loves her. In essence, erase her identity, just as she tried to erase Caylee's existence.

If that were to occur, if everyone, including the media, could just forget about her, the true justice would be that Caylee will never be forgotten, and Casey would have to suffer being something everyone just threw away for the rest of her life. I realize this isn't going to happen, but I, for one, plan to refuse to let her evil consume my thoughts once this trial is over. I've been considering becoming a volunteer guardian ad litem for children in my state for some time now, and this trial has inspired me to get off my behind and go do it. Nothing can be done to bring Caylee back, but I think the closest I can come to true Justice for her will be to let her short life inspire me to do my best to keep other children from suffering at hands of others.

Much respect to all of you who devote your time and energy to the worthy causes of bringing the missing home, and holding the people who harm the innocent accountable for their actions. It's people like you that remind me that there is far more good in this world than evil, no matter what the media says. As always, MOO.

i used to think life, because CA and GA are the main ones left that are the victims in this case in the family and seeing their daughter put to death after losing their granddaughter would of course be very difficult.

HOWEVER, after thinking more and more about ICA and the family dynamic i believe even behind those cell walls, she will manipulate and guilt her family until they day she dies, making their lives even worse than if she wasn't around anymore.

Either way, i think GA and CA are headed for a long time of guilt and regret. But with ICA around, I believe it would be worse because it will never stop, she will always control their emotions, they will never fully heal, and they won't be strong enough to sever ties with her as they probably should.

I want her to receive life with no chance of parole. I personally do not believe in the DP for any reason. I believe murder is wrong and that applies to every murder, even legally acceptable murder. I know that a lot of people disagree but that is my opinion. Plus, I think for her to spend every waking moment of the rest of her life sitting in a cell would be sweet poetic justice.

Either way she is still sitting in a cell no matter LWOP or DP.

If the DP is murder, then why do we still have it? It's Not murder, it's punishment for people who premeditate the demise of others.

I re-read some of the jailhouse letters between ICA and Robyn Adams last night looking particularly for a part I read when ICA was complaining she really needed a razor. She could handle not shaving her legs for a month but her armpits was terrible. :) Also the poor me I need some good shampoo and a good conditioner ... she couldn't wait to get out to have her teeth whitened.

But while re-reading I had forgotten how JB would deliver written messages between ICA, Cindy and George. That was the only way they could communicate privately. :(

So if she receives LWOP she will learn quickly to work the system and work her family. I had forgotten the part of the letters where she was receiving love letters from guys ... even offering marriage! :rolleyes:

I don't think she will get the death penalty. I look for life and the jury may even go with a set number of years sentence with parole. I just hope the one lady juror that can't judge people won't 'hang the jury!' :twocents:

When this case first came about and for the last 3 years I had been hoping she gets the death penalty. I am truly not a supporter, per say, of the DP. However, I don't know what it is about THIS case that makes me change my mind.

Now today I read this article and found it extremely enlightening about giving Casey death or letting her live on with the sentence of LWOP. No Parole though. I am not for giving her any time sentence with parole.

It has been awhile since I have posted. So, if I did this wrong, I hope one of the mods will correct my mistake. I wasn't sure how exactly I could post the article or just the link. So I stayed safe with only a small portion. I think so anyway...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...110620_1_death-penalty-death-row-appeals-drag

Even if Casey Anthony ends up on death row, she'll never be executed
June 20, 2011|By Mike Thomas, COMMENTARY

Mike, revenge is served deliciously cold. Casey will definitely get the needle. Many of us will celebrate her death.

—Mac

Mac was responding to my column on why Casey Anthony does not qualify for the death penalty.

I hate to spoil the celebration of Mac and others like him, but Casey will never feel that final vein prick.

If she ever does make it to death row and gets in line behind the 399 inmates already there, she would be killed sometime in the 23rd century.

Cost is certainly an element to me, as is the fact it has not been shown to be a deterrent as some have claimed.

ITA that getting them out of society is paramount, but also feel that, given the rate of error, it would just be prudent not to execute, for the convicted's family, just in case exculpatory evidence were even found. The cost factor just helps me justify it, but I would still feel the same way as long as the costs were equal. However, it still contingent to me that LWOP truly means WOP so there is no further danger to society whatsoever.

The Death Penalty is very much a deterrent for the person who receives it. In addition, I strongly suspect the studies that show that it isn't for the rest of the population. I know and understand studies and how the methods/analyses can, and are, manipulated to show whatever one wishes them to show. Common reason, though, says that it is: Let me ask you: Given a situation where a temptation to steal would be great, would you be more likely to steal something if you knew, if caught, you would recive no punishment versus, if caught, you would be hung straight-a-way?

Certainly, the DP isn't much of a deterrent these days because everyone knows that it is extremely rare that it's ever enforced. For the vast majority of convicted criminals, the DP is far more similar to a life sentence than a death sentence. Always, always, always, it is human nature to fear the negative things which are certain and swift versus those that are nebulous, uncertain and may take a lifetime to take place.

As far as wrongful conviction, I think that science, especially DNA evidence, makes that highly unlikely. Certainly, no system or human is perfect, so there will always be criminals who are wrongly convicted. By the logic above, we shouldn't "take" anyone's life -in prison or forever from this earth, since there is a possibility of wrongful conviction. Look at it this way: Would you condone; should it be legal, for companies to promote and sell a substance which is so dangerous that it routinely takes lives every year in this country? If not, you'd better give up natural gas. Yep, it takes lives every year, but as a country, we've decided to risk it.

Okay, that's my, say, forty cents. Although I disagree with you, I appreciate your comments, and everyone else's here.

ICA will never be rehabilitated. She lies about everything. She is a sociopath and will never stop being who/what she is. I am afraid if she ever is free, she would do it all again. JMOO
I voted DP.
We as taxpayers cannot afford to keep all these murderers in prison for life.
She would get free education, free medical, free room and board, free media coverage
(movie star status), free protective custody.
Sorry if I sound cold, but we must take back the death penalties on these henious murderers. Maybe some would think twice before doing what they do esp. to children!JMOO

When this case first came about and for the last 3 years I had been hoping she gets the death penalty. I am truly not a supporter, per say, of the DP. However, I don't know what it is about THIS case that makes me change my mind.

Now today I read this article and found it extremely enlightening about giving Casey death or letting her live on with the sentence of LWOP. No Parole though. I am not for giving her any time sentence with parole.

It has been awhile since I have posted. So, if I did this wrong, I hope one of the mods will correct my mistake. I wasn't sure how exactly I could post the article or just the link. So I stayed safe with only a small portion. I think so anyway...

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...110620_1_death-penalty-death-row-appeals-drag

Even if Casey Anthony ends up on death row, she'll never be executed
June 20, 2011|By Mike Thomas, COMMENTARY

Mike, revenge is served deliciously cold. Casey will definitely get the needle. Many of us will celebrate her death.

—Mac

Mac was responding to my column on why Casey Anthony does not qualify for the death penalty.

I hate to spoil the celebration of Mac and others like him, but Casey will never feel that final vein prick.

If she ever does make it to death row and gets in line behind the 399 inmates already there, she would be killed sometime in the 23rd century.

The problem with this article. and much of the anti-death penalty argument, is that it characterizes the DP as "revenge". The DP, or any penalty, is not revenge, no matter how much an individual wishes it were. All penalties meted out as the result of conviction at trial, by US law, which is based on Judeo-Christian priciples, are to serve justice. Revenge is not, and never has been, a part of our legal system (although, certainly, there are people who attempt to exact revenge in individual cases; humans are certainly flawed).

Revenge is retaliation and carries with it a sense of "this person wronged me so now I get to wrong him"; "he needs to go through what I went through", etc. It's about "victimizing the victimizer". Justice, on the other hand, is about attempting to achieve "fairness"; about compensation, about righting a wrong. In our legal system, it ensures that the person who willfully takes an innocent human life (i.e. that person didn't murder someone) forfeits his own life. In my view, the very basis of civilization. Justice doesn't encompass "an eye for an eye", though, such as torturing a person who tortured someone else. It does involve ensuring that society is safe from that person and that the willful criminal "pays" in a way commensurate with, if not similar to (such as torture) the seriousness and gravity of the crime. If Casey Anthony is found guilty of willfully murdering the very essence of innocent life, a child who isn't even yet at the age of reason, and so not capable of choosing and doing wrong, she forfeits her own life.) Justice demands it.

ICA will never be rehabilitated. She lies about everything. She is a sociopath and will never stop being who/what she is. I am afraid if she ever is free, she would do it all again. JMOO
I voted DP.
We as taxpayers cannot afford to keep all these murderers in prison for life.
She would get free education, free medical, free room and board, free media coverage
(movie star status), free protective custody.
Sorry if I sound cold, but we must take back the death penalties on these henious murderers. Maybe some would think twice before doing what they do esp. to children!JMOO

Passionflower: I very much agree that it is highly unlikely that Casey could be rehabilitated. In fact, I do believe that she would murder anyone who significantly stood in her way of attaining something/someone she desperately wanted.

I also think that there is a reason that she told her friend, Amy, that her folks' house would be available for them to live in soon, and that she had planned that it would be. I think that her parents and brother are VERY lucky to be alive and that she was arrested before the situation of them substantially standing in her way presented itself with an opportunity to change that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC