Deaths of Male College Students-General Discussion #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is odd that both of them were involved in accidents. Nathan Edberg's disappearance happened after he went off into a ditch and Nick's after he wrecked his mom's car. There are two sets of people who knew about both incidents: The police and the tow truck drivers. The latter is a group we haven't considered, but would be out and about at that time of morning when the disappearances occurred.

Great find Cheko, the links you have don't take me to the comment though. Can you provide a better one?

SS, I've been waiting to start hearing about the "ones who got away".

Sorry Suzi I would of posted it but was reading other things trying to find out more info!

I just retrieved this from one of the links for Nick Rossini, who was from White Bear Lake Mn:

b16-rounded.gif
mykel_ls said... I came across an article on this subject and it made my hair stand up. When I got out of the Military in 2000-2001, I was in Minneapolis,Mn. and had been partying with people at a night club, then we went back to a hotel. I remember accidentally locking myself out of the room and ending up on the street in front of the hotel. I had been drinking and I was a little drunk. I remember a van pulling up beside me, then side door opened...then everything went black. I woke up on a matress, in the back of the van, hands bound...covered with a piece of plywood. I was able to get out and make my way back to downtown Minneapolis and to the hotel. The van was at some tall projects with, I think, blue and red panels...close to a rail road track. I thought I would mention this because I read a few articles on this where they thought these victims may have been abducted with a van.
This sounds like the picture you just brought up! http://www.riversideplaza.net/

Excellent find, Cheko!! I was hoping people would start coming out about their own experiences after the media got this story out!! Wow! (Does it mean he didn't call LE when it first happened?)

He DID NOT call LE when it first happened! He wouldn't of now but people asked him to call so he did!

Well...it would be understandable for a man who was even a little drunk not to call LE even if they were abducted not to call if they didn't want to go to jail or deal with LE in that state. It is a typical response more for a male under those circumstances. I think a female would call no matter what.

It is odd that both of them were involved in accidents. Nathan Edberg's disappearance happened after he went off into a ditch and Nick's after he wrecked his mom's car. There are two sets of people who knew about both incidents: The police and the tow truck drivers. The latter is a group we haven't considered, but would be out and about at that time of morning when the disappearances occurred.

Tow truck driver is very interesting. I also found this:

http://footprintsattheriversedge.blogspot.com/2006/12/121606-nick-rossini-21-white-bear-lake.html

After graduating from White Bear Lake high school in 2004, Nick attended St. John's University, where just two years earlier, student Joshua Guimond disappeared.

Hubby is at the lake or I'd ask him where the tracks are? He'd know without a doubt. I'll ask him when he returns in the morning.....

Well, that would fit then. Thanks, Suzi. (It was funny because I went back later and read the rest of those comments. Here I thought I arrived at that on my own. LOL I didn't know where you came up with it tho.)

Full Article:

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.prt

Nick Thompson, 25, of Viroqua, an acquaintance of Fortney’s who police said is thought to have been at the same bar Saturday night, also is having trouble piecing together a similar time frame. Thompson turned up Sunday morning at the hospital as well, passed out in the lobby, police said. He told police he didn’t know how he got there and that his pickup truck, which he had parked in the Wettstein’s lot, was missing.

Police found the vehicle Thursday in the 900 block of King Street. Video footage of the parking lot showed a man entering the vehicle with keys about 3 a.m. Sunday and driving away, Police Capt. Rob Abraham said.

The footage isn’t sharp, but police believe the man who entered the vehicle was, in fact, Thompson, Abraham said. Thompson told police he doesn’t remember driving the truck, leaving it on King Street or how he ended up at the hospital.

Police initially believed the missing truck was connected with Fortney’s mysterious night, but now consider them separate cases, Abraham said.

Full Article:

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.prt

Nick Thompson, 25, of Viroqua, an acquaintance of Fortney’s who police said is thought to have been at the same bar Saturday night, also is having trouble piecing together a similar time frame. Thompson turned up Sunday morning at the hospital as well, passed out in the lobby, police said. He told police he didn’t know how he got there and that his pickup truck, which he had parked in the Wettstein’s lot, was missing.

Very good find, thank you! Nick and Cullen didn't go to the bar together but had the same memory lapse. Something was up at that bar that night. It would be nice to find out the name of the bar to see if it's linked to any of the other cases. Below is a snippet from an article that names two friends that Cullen was with. Did they experience anything odd? ETA: I see from re reading the email that his friends were fine.

http://badgerherald.com/news/2006/01/15/student_survives_fal.php

(snip)
According to a police report, Fortney said he left the downtown bars around 1:45 a.m. following a night of drinking beer and mixed drinks. He separated from friends Ryan Larson and Jay Hoffland before ending up in the river.

Reposting snips of the email from Cullen's dad.

http://digg.com/world_news/Smiley_Face_Serial_Killer_of_College_Men_Nationwide?t=14832000

And at bar time Cullen was no where to be seen. Ryan and Jay were up until 5:30 trying to find him.
He remembers being in John's Bar. And the next thing he remembers is being in the water.
So on Sunday I am thinking he had had way too much to drink and I was upset for several reasons. Well, the blood alcohol came back Monday. Cullen was not drunk. His blood alcohol was .04. Yet Cullen can not recall anything from 1:30 AM until waking up in the river. What did someone put in Cullen's drink?
I do know that John's Bar is under surveillance. Just what that means I am not sure.

More info on Cullen's BAC and drug screen. IMO, if GHB was involved, it may not have shown up 8+ hours later.

Roger Putnam, Fortney’s uncle and family spokesman, said a full toxicology report revealed no suspicious substances in Fortney’s system. This supports La Crosse police’s earlier conclusion that foul play was not involved, Putnam said.
An e-mail that circulated widely in the days after the incident had speculated someone slipped another substance into Fortney’s drink that night, since his blood-alcohol level registered 0.043 when tested about 9 a.m. at the hospital. The same e-mail implied the incident might have been tied to past river drownings of other young men who had been at downtown La Crosse bars.

But Fortney’s blood-alcohol level would have been 0.163 percent at about 1:30 a.m., police said.

ETA: I forgot the link, now I can't find it.

Luthersmama...how far is the school from Philadelphia? I don't think this kid driving around in the type of car he was had robbery in mind? Do you?

I don't know what to think about Chiang. It is odd that a Temple student would drive to Swarthmore to do anything. There are thousands of college kids in Philadelphia. There are no bars in Swarthmore, so he wasn't hanging out in one.

My hunch is that he is just a delusional sick puppy who had some idea of picking up a kid for some reason but couldn't pull it off. It is a good thing he was caught.

More info on Cullen's BAC and drug screen. IMO, if GHB was involved, it may not have shown up 8+ hours later.

Roger Putnam, Fortney’s uncle and family spokesman, said a full toxicology report revealed no suspicious substances in Fortney’s system. This supports La Crosse police’s earlier conclusion that foul play was not involved, Putnam said.
An e-mail that circulated widely in the days after the incident had speculated someone slipped another substance into Fortney’s drink that night, since his blood-alcohol level registered 0.043 when tested about 9 a.m. at the hospital. The same e-mail implied the incident might have been tied to past river drownings of other young men who had been at downtown La Crosse bars.

But Fortney’s blood-alcohol level would have been 0.163 percent at about 1:30 a.m., police said.

ETA: I forgot the link, now I can't find it.

SQ- I have almost time on here today through tomorrow, but I'm almost positive , but either on this thread or in the possible vics, in reference to either Luke Holman's or Matt Kruziki case, there is an "Austin" person who they actaully charged with obstruction, very similar scenario- could there be a pattern here? One guy makes it out but doesnt remember anything?

I have been discussing this case a lot with Mr. Masterj. He loved the tv show Alias and suggested maybe these young men were being recruited/watched by some sort of secret organization who then turned against them. I don't know about that.

He also pointed something out to me that I completely forgot about. A friend of our best friend works in tv production and previously worked on that MTV show Buzz Kill. In fact, he was in the episode early mentioned, and he acted as one of the kidnappers. I don't see him very often, but when I do, I will be sure to ask him about working on that show. I do know from him that most of MTV's shows are 100% scripted, including their dating shows like Next or RoomRaiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm