Defense claims judge had inappropriate convo with blogger?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why now? That convo with MD happened ages ago. While maybe JS shouldn't have acknowledge that he perused MD's site - is he suppose to refrain from reading anything - say like the Orlando Sentinel or even refrain from watching the local news? MD covers a lot of topics on his blog. I think the defense is just grasping. However, I do feel there is a chance JS could be removed because of this. Does anyone remember that chart and questionaire that attorneys filled out regarding judges in Orange County? Someone posted it ages ago. Wish I could find it now. IIRC, JS got some of the highest marks for being a fair judge from defense attorneys. I think if this motion is granted, JB and co. are going to regret it!

correct me if im wrong,but strickland would have to remove himself, or else a superior court would have to do it.

i dont see either happening.

Oh brother ....
I can't believe the comparisons being made by the defense ... so blogs are considered media outlets? What next, anyone who's on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter ???

"Judge Strickland's deliberate courting of a well know media figure raises the inference that Judge Strickland seeks publicity in his own right, and that his rulings and decisions from the bench could only be improperly influenced by his desire to secure the outcome that maximizes that publicity."

bbm
Are they still talking about Strickland or are they talking about Baez?
ummm, if that were the case, why would Judge Strickland pick this blog? I mean if he wanted publicity, wouldn't he approach a REAL well known media outlet ??? It boggles the mind ...

thud-1.gif

I just got home ....busy,busy. And THIS is what I have to digest over the weekend???
gaah.gif

I just turned in the news and heard this. Haven't even had a chance to read this thread. ONE QUESTION - Is there PROOF this is JS????? 'Cause I'm having a really hard time buying it. First of all, JS just doesn't strike me as doing something this stupid. Second, he is calling Marinade Dave "the best blog out there"? I need someone to show me the proof that it is indeed JS posting and calling this guy.

rant over. off to read now.

But he got personal with a blogger blogging on the Caylee case, is that not so?

I am not sure he got personal, he complimented him on his website-You could say that is personal enough, but given my examples in my previous post, there are personal relationships throughout our legal system that can hypothetically effect defendants, including issues of the DP. Doesn't mean it does effect defendants, or that the judge has violated his oath or ethics, or that he will intentionally mis-apply law.

Isn't it strange how Baez filed this at the end of the court day? Can it be that he is trying to sway public opinion making Strickland look incompetant? It has to be doubtful that Strickland has said anything to anyone about this case because its unethical. The man has to be smarter than getting involved with common public commenting on the case to a stranger.

they are desperate and trying anything.

pathetic

Desperate times call for desperate measures!

Can't say as I blame them...it appears KC and Co. are pretty much up chit creek without a paddle...just more proof of that IMO. Wonder when they'll realize how obvious their desperation is?

You forget this is a jury case. A JURY decides on guilt or innocence. The only decision up to JS is on issues regarding LAW and it application to the issues in this case. Period.done.that's it. Whether JS visits reads or otherwise views blogs, or social networking sites is irrelevant. The only issue JS needs to remain neutral on is the application of law in this case. If that weren't the case no judge in this country could read the newspapers.

Well, I do hope that this will happen here. However, it looks bad, IMO, with JS singling MD out. I don't know how much that matters, but it might.

The blogger's name is Dave Knechel, who was questioned earlier this month by a private investigator working for the defense. He told the investigator that Strickland told him at the bench "what a great blog I have," according to the motion. At some point, Strickland learned that the blogger was ill and called to express his "personal concern" for the man's well-being, according to the motion.

No hearing date has been set yet

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...hony-judge-disqualify-20100416,0,174631.story

Just because JS reads the blog does not mean that he has a 'relationship' with the blogger. It isn't like he called a sitting juror...... Come on. I am guessing JS knows Marinade Dave in or from some other venue...... The defense must be nuts JS has bent over backwards to be fair and given Baez and his team every opportunity to be upstanding attornies. To me this just proves Baez is working overtime to dig up dirt on everyone on this case!

MOO

BBM

I did know about that, but I just heard that he had POSTED on the blog. Is that true?

Discussed on JVM, they are giving this a "10" for how this will affect the case. That is from JVM and all the talking heads, Mike Brooks, Beth Karas and everyone's favorite from the Cumming's case, Kim Picasio.

They seem to think it's not looking good for JS.

Isn't it strange how Baez filed this at the end of the court day? Can it be that he is trying to sway public opinion making Strickland look incompetant? It has to be doubtful that Strickland has said anything to anyone about this case because its unethical. The man has to be smarter than getting involved with common public commenting on the case to a stranger.

Exactly!!! He wants this to run its course in the blogs and media over the weekend because it is light on Caylee news so, lets throw another firecracker in and stir things up. IMO.

Discussed on JVM, they are giving this a "10" for how this will affect the case. That is from JVM and all the talking heads, Mike Brooks, Beth Karras and everyone's favorite from the Cumming's case, Kim Picasio.

They seem to think it's not looking good for JS.

I bet that is because JS called DK at his home after he was in hospital which according to the motion was back in Feb.

Oh brother ....
I can't believe the comparisons being made by the defense ... so blogs are considered media outlets? What next, anyone who's on Facebook, MySpace, Twitter ???

"Judge Strickland's deliberate courting of a well know media figure raises the inference that Judge Strickland seeks publicity in his own right, and that his rulings and decisions from the bench could only be improperly influenced by his desire to secure the outcome that maximizes that publicity."

bbm
Are they still talking about Strickland or are they talking about Baez?
ummm, if that were the case, why would Judge Strickland pick this blog? I mean if he wanted publicity, wouldn't he approach a REAL well known media outlet ??? It boggles the mind ...

Wow, that is just plain silly and over the top. I think that JS should not have engaged with the blogger, but what they are arguing is beyond the pale. :furious:

My thoughts exactly. Can you imagine what the trial is going to be like. JB up there looking like a blubbering fool. Can I call him a blubbering fool -- I think so :)

MOO

Mel

I'm quite sure that's ok to say. As far as I know we are allowed to speak the truth.

moo

Let's see........JB has done radio interviews for blog talk radio and discussed this case specifically. Ummmmmmmmm pot..............kettle is calling on line 31.

:dance: Oh sleuther, thank you for this laugh. Don't know how much more I can take of hosay's car-pola. (But I say that every few months, it seems in this case). :banghead:

Baez is a joke. JS is a fair an equitable judge and he should want him on this case. He's still looking for a defense cause he has none. He's also asked for the prosecution to be removed at one time...What stupidness..I hope if he gets recused he gets a biatch of a judge who will give the DP, if found guilty. It would serve him right...

I'm so angry for this motion, it's going to bite him in his arse...:furious:

My best guess is that they filed this motion to get a different judge who is more sympathetic and more lenient in matters of handing out monies for the defense. It's my understanding they will have to go before JS to request various funds for their defense now that she's indigent.

Yes, they just filed a motion requesting that hearing yesterday.

And now this. Great way to ingratiate yourselves to the judge, boys!

But maybe that is the strategy? Embarrass the judge so he gives'em what they want, money-wise? :banghead:

Strickland is not the chief judge of that court. I suspect the chief might sit him down and say, "OK, maybe this isn't fair, but you did overstep your bounds somewhat, and it's not worth creating appeal issues. Let's assign this one to someone else."

Well yes... at which point he will promptly assign a true "hanging judge" to the case. While Floridas laws and judicial policies may weight towards erring on the side of caution with claims of impartiality, NO Head of a Court will allow an attorney to use this as a strategy in this manner and gain a benefit from it. This is Career and Case suicide for the defense in the state of Florida. JS has been extremely fair and cautious with their antics. If he is not recused, I am betting he will be nowhere near as lenient after this, and if he is replaced I am betting whoever comes next will bury the defense and add a second judge to the bar complaints against JB.

I just can't see where this is a winning defense move on any level? Can any of the lawyers around here point out what I am missing? Is their some trick to the Florida Judicial rotations that gives them some idea of who they will get next that they would think that is to their advantage?

The only thing I can possibly think of is CM is trying to force a clean slate with a judge that has not been subject to JB's antics for the past year+. But that strategy assumes JB is going bye bye at the same time as JS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member