Defense claims judge had inappropriate convo with blogger?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally would NOT want the judge in my case reading blogs and commenting on it openly to the public. There is also an enormous difference as far as I am concerned between reading/watching the news and sleuthing the internet. Sure JS can watch Belich and run into her and tell her he likes her reporting, but Belich is not likely going to go on air and tell her news audience that this occurred. I personally think he should just remove himself.

Where is the difference? They use different forms of media to report on topics of public interest. Neither of them are hiding anything, it was in open court with lots of people around. JS paid him a compliment.

Exactly! So why are they just now filing? Did the lightbulb just go off in JB's head? Just goes to show how s l o w he is. :crazy:

No, Cheney Mason joined the defense team. It was his lighbulb moment.

I could be doing this wrong...but since this is the 9th Circuit Court.....this is the chief judge....
http://www.ninthcircuit.org/judges/chief_judge/

Guess I'm just wondering what the "other" judge options would be....listed under the tab "Circuit Judges"

ETA : AND, what their relationships are like with CM/JB....or even the defense in a murder trial, in general....

O/T....we might get some good old fashioned "Texas Justice" from the Chief Judge...LOL

I hate to say this, but JS may have made an error. No way do I think he did something wrong - but even the 'appearance of doing wrong' could be an issue. Honestly, I don't think he should have called Dave up to the bench after the hearing, I don't think he should have chatted with him about his blog, and he sure as heck should not have called him, if he did, in February.

This is a major new issue and, again I hate saying this, but the defense has a point this time. I guess it all boils down to did Dave 'embellish' anything about the calls and what was said.

Not good, in my opinion, not good at all.

Agree with every.single.word.

Interesting that as soon as MD brings up that there is another blogger with a scientific approach they go off record. Now.......anyone want to venture a guess as to the blog that was then discussed?????? If MD brought up another blog......and the issue they were discussing referred to his blog......that is far from off topic.

IMO the defense just didn't want anyone to know that they may be next on the list. Right there, they demonstrate their unethical behavior. I have to wonder.....did MD sign off on a copy of the transcription? JL said he personally supervised transcription. This smells rather hinky.

I am not sure he got personal, he complimented him on his website-You could say that is personal enough, but given my examples in my previous post, there are personal relationships throughout our legal system that can hypothetically effect defendants, including issues of the DP. Doesn't mean it does effect defendants, or that the judge has violated his oath or ethics, or that he will intentionally mis-apply law.

Yes the last court hearing when JAA called the four attorneys to the bench for a quick talk, CM called the prosecution, Linda & Jeffrey, didn't he?,,,,That speaks of personal relationships. Should CM recuse himself b/c of that? After all LDB clearly was not comfortable with that as I heard her say "we have last names". I agree with LDB, seemed inappropriate in court to me.

moo

I wish Judge Judy was a potential replacement.....

Thank you for THAT visual! LOL! I think we would all be doing our part keeping Orville Redenbacher in business if that were to happen. I think Judge Judy's head would come off if she had to deal with JB!:crazy:

It reminds me of a particular video interview that was conducted without putting JK under oath and some creative video editing there as well. Funny.........doesn't the use of "off topic" conversation sound much like "forum speak"??

LOL funny huh? not "off the record" .... I can't believe how much of the virtual world Jose has brought up in this case ... I understand it's relevance with jury selection (to a point) ... but to be quoting blogs and social networking sites as evidence is a stretch .... JMO

Paragraph 6 in the MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO DISQUALIFY TRIAL JUDGE.

"Judge Strickland has made off the record comments to both the prosecution and Miss Anthony's defense lawyers that he (the judge) would like to wait until after his re election is over to set the trial date in Miss Anthony's case." This does not surprise me either.

I hate to say this, but JS may have made an error. No way do I think he did something wrong - but even the 'appearance of doing wrong' could be an issue. Honestly, I don't think he should have called Dave up to the bench after the hearing, I don't think he should have chatted with him about his blog, and he sure as heck should not have called him, if he did, in February.

This is a major new issue and, again I hate saying this, but the defense has a point this time. I guess it all boils down to did Dave 'embellish' anything about the calls and what was said.

Supposing he made friends with a reporter- pick a name, there are several there every day - most people make friends in their workplace after all- and that person is a Crime reporter, so of course comments on the Anthony case, often not favorably, but since the facts about KC are overwhelmingly negative, it would be ridiculous or biased not to -is he not supposed to make a get well call when that reporter is taken ill for fear of accusations of unethical behavior from the Defense? Is he not permitted to pay that reporter a compliment when he reads published articles that demonstrate her skills?

All I can hear ringing in my head is Cheney Mason approaching the podium for the first time and the first words out of his mouth when addressing Judge Strickland <insert his snide, patronizing tone> saying to JS, "Well, you trust ME dontcha?" JS was a bit taken aback. Gosh, I bet that sharp knife in his back hurts pretty damn bad.

Paragraph 6 in the MEMORANDUM IN SUPPORT OF DEFENDANT'S MOTION TO DISQUALIFY TRIAL JUDGE.

"Judge Strickland has made off the record comments to both the prosecution and Miss Anthony's defense lawyers that he (the judge) would like to wait until after his re election is over to set the trial date in Miss Anthony's case." This does not surprise me either.

It's funny, though, seems it's been the DEFENSE that's been trying everything to delay this case....like the 3 months wasted for AL to deal with her "other" matters...like her teaching obligations at the college...

Is it unethical of him to have friends?

I think I know the answer to this.

Are these the same signature? The one on the left is from AH's check. The one on the right from the document re: JS today.

These signatures don't look like they are signed by the same person and with the notary stamp that is expired could this have been done on purpose?

Did KC really sign this document or did someone else?

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-16 at 8.06.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-16 at 8.06.16 PM.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 78

And a visit over to the Andrea tapes and lectures thread will show that she has stated and been recorded as stating that when the Judge is in an election year she pushes to delay. I'll go find her quote. I wonder if the defense was in actuality rephrasing AL's own comments.

Interesting that as soon as MD brings up that there is another blogger with a scientific approach they go off record. Now.......anyone want to venture a guess as to the blog that was then discussed?????? If MD brought up another blog......and the issue they were discussing referred to his blog......that is far from off topic.

IMO the defense just didn't want anyone to know that they may be next on the list. Right there, they demonstrate their unethical behavior. I have to wonder.....did MD sign off on a copy of the transcription? JL said he personally supervised transcription. This smells rather hinky.

bbm
Looks like there could be a lot of "cyber" motions coming ... shouldn't those issues be handled in cyber-court?
One thing the defense HAS been consistent on from day 1 is crying about the media and KC never being able to get a fair trial .. you know because she's unpopular and all ... GMAB

I need to excuse myself to have an "in-camera meeting" with the Honorable Judge Jack Daniels...

LOL funny huh? not "off the record" .... I can't believe how much of the virtual world Jose has brought up in this case ... I understand it's relevance with jury selection (to a point) ... but to be quoting blogs and social networking sites as evidence is a stretch .... JMO

That occurred to me as well.

Can I ask a question? There must have been a lot of Internet interest in the Scott Peterson case, so did that come up at trial at all, any motions filled by his defense attorneys?

Does anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member