Defense What is their strategy? #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Baez has finally convinced KC to go with the accident defense in light of this new attorney. He's said to be an expert in accident reconstruction. I will be waiting to see how he reconstructs that duct tape and heart sticker accidently landing on
Caylee's mouth.

Let's hope they avoid the "accidental drowning in the pool" theory. Remember in the August 14 jail video when Cindy explained to Casey the "awful" things people were saying? "The latest theory is that she drowned in the pool." Casey's response was "Surprise surprise."

I'm pretty sure that'll not play well to a jury.

Bringing in the new attorney actual worries me. What if they are able to play it up that Caylee's death was an accident and that KC had some kind of mental break, perhaps some sort of disassociation disorder? http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/information/get-info/dissociation-and-dissociative-disorders here is a link describing it. If they are able to play to the emotions of the jury in that KC is too young, sweet and pretty to have commited such a heinous act, that it was an accident and that she broke with reality...well, that concerns me. Still- the duct tape, the internet searches, the Zanny story, etc., still have to be explained away. Do any of you think that this might be the path KC's attorney will take?

Bringing in the new attorney actual worries me. What if they are able to play it up that Caylee's death was an accident and that KC had some kind of mental break, perhaps some sort of disassociation disorder? http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/information/get-info/dissociation-and-dissociative-disorders here is a link describing it. If they are able to play to the emotions of the jury in that KC is too young, sweet and pretty to have commited such a heinous act, that it was an accident and that she broke with reality...well, that concerns me. Still- the duct tape, the internet searches, the Zanny story, etc., still have to be explained away. Do any of you think that this might be the path KC's attorney will take?

She can't claim a break with reality and have strung the story she strung out there for people. Also, she has the assurance of her family that they believe everything she has told them about an abduction. Seems that one is out of the park.

Let's hope they avoid the "accidental drowning in the pool" theory. Remember in the August 14 jail video when Cindy explained to Casey the "awful" things people were saying? "The latest theory is that she drowned in the pool." Casey's response was "Surprise surprise."

They've pretty much made sure that this can't be used as "the accident". It doesn't go along with duct tape on the mouth either.
I'm hoping they can prove the duct tape was placed on her mouth prior to death. As a nurse I've had to do post-mortem care on patients that have passed. When rigor mortis sets in the mouth will remain in an open position. In order to prevent the family from seeing the patient in this way we place a rolled up towel under the chin in order to keep the mouth closed. If Caylee's mouth was closed under that duct tape it's very likely she was alive when it was placed there. If put on after death, it's likely that Caylee's mouth would have been open under the tape.

Thanks Deb and Marina. I was getting pretty nervous about that prospect.

Bringing in THIS attorney bugs me. Your post scares me even more. At first I thought that JB was being the way he is because he was good and we all know there are defense attorneys that are not 100% honest. But then time went by and I saw what we all saw. No more worries. Really weren't any but it was even better that he was what he is.

I have been looking up this guy all morning and he has won-- ALOT. Granted his are all civil cases, but usually with criminal type activity involved as regards to negligence and such. I know that all of this may not be relevant to this case, but he has much more experience with the law in general than Baez and the law can be like a game. Depends on who tells the best tale or argues the more sensible argument backed by law. Yesterday was the first time I can remember Baez citing case law.

I have felt very comfortable with the fact that as annoying Baez is with the stammering and stuttering, I knew that although it shouldn't, it would help the prosecution. Bet this guy speaks like someone who isn't scared to be up there or in a high school play they didn't want to be in.

Apparently Baez co-counsel doesn't feel the need to be present. That shows me we are a little comfortable imo considering who she is normally babysitting in court, not that I have a ton of respect for her either. Let's face it, she is the more experienced and if you were co-counsel, wouldn't you be terrified Baez was going to file the wrong thing or say the wrong thing in court? And you would be there, just to tug him when he does the wrong thing so as to not further screw your case? This guy is brand new and hasn't been in court yet and he is the only one who showed up? This guy worries me. It may not end up being a bad thing, but I am worried for the first time and my mind is going in a million directions. Hope some of this made sense! Sorry. I'm gonna go be sick now.

Isn't it more curious that Baez introduced this guy at THIS particular hearing regarding images and a video? Does a new lawyer need to be introduced to the court prior to his beginning work, or can he be introduced when it is relevant for the case?

Isn't it more curious that Baez introduced this guy at THIS particular hearing regarding images and a video? Does a new lawyer need to be introduced to the court prior to his beginning work, or can he be introduced when it is relevant for the case?

Last night on one of the TH shows, a reporter stated that the new attorney SPECIALIZES in reconstructing accidents. He has represented clients such as airline accident families, etc.

But IMHO how can you claim that an accident occured, and KC snapped? She "snapped" with two different stories as a cover. One might have washed, such as it was the story she convinced herself of....but TWO lies to cover an accident.......nah.

Thinking that Casey "snapped" just doesnt fly- she is cold and calculating and sends the message that she cares only for herself . If she had been a loving mother who just snapped or had an accident, her entire demeanor would be different. With all the stealing, lying and partying leading up to Caylees death, theres no way that a defense team can make her look innocent no matter how they spin it. JMO

Last night on one of the TH shows, a reporter stated that the new attorney SPECIALIZES in reconstructing accidents. He has represented clients such as airline accident families, etc.

But IMHO how can you claim that an accident occured, and KC snapped? She "snapped" with two different stories as a cover. One might have washed, such as it was the story she convinced herself of....but TWO lies to cover an accident.......nah.

I too feel that they are going for the accident theory, I just don't know how they can defend the duck tape. and parting after. :bang:

They keep saying she's "innocent". Is their official defense going to be "innocent by reason of insanity"?????

Because you can't plead "innocent by reason of accident". If you were going to plead an accident why in God's name would you not take a plea deal BEFORE going to trial????? So insanity has to be the only "innocent" defense around. UNLESS, of course, they are going to throw somebody (anybody) else under the bus and claim they MADE KC kill her own child.

When I first heard about this new attorney, I thought for sure they were going the "accident" route, but after reading a little about him, he may be there to cross examine "expert witnesses", as this is supposedly his strong point. It does make sense, I can't see JB questioning all of the forensic scientists this trial will surely produce. I am still wondering if LKB made a quick escape ? It looks like it to me...who knows what lawyer's we will eventually end up with come trial time.

At very, very, very best Casey is guilty of improper disposal of a body, obstruction of justice, tampering with evidence and negligent homicide. (No ifs, ands, or buts about those charges.)

That isn't the same thing as innocent.

But, it is the best possible outcome Casey could hope for. It is STILL more than I think Casey deserves.

From everything we've heard, I conclude that she's completely guilty, but this case is just so weird that I find myself wondering if there's some sort of twist or turn that's going to come out and completely change that. What if it was an accident and the whole family truly is covering it up and that's why they're supporting Casey? The whole thing is so unbelievable and surreal that I expect more to follow.

From everything we've heard, I conclude that she's completely guilty, but this case is just so weird that I find myself wondering if there's some sort of twist or turn that's going to come out and completely change that. What if it was an accident and the whole family truly is covering it up and that's why they're supporting Casey? The whole thing is so unbelievable and surreal that I expect more to follow.

I agree.

When your defense is duct taping your dead daughter's mouth to make it LOOK like a kidnapping...you're in deep doo doo.

I think the family knows what Casey is capable of doing. Maybe they hope therapy or some kind of intervention could still save her?

Personally, I think treatment would be a piece of cake, a pleasure and of no benefit to Casey. (manipulation and toying with people are right down Casey's alley) But, I can see how parents would hang onto any and every hope.

IMO

Good catch, Debs!

I'm curious, though--Casey went on record saying the nanny kidnapped Caylee, therefore KC would have to take the stand to switch her story to "it was an accidental death-I was scared and covered it up" theme. I don't see how the defense could put forth that theory to a jury unless KC testified that's what really happened. And not even JB is foolish enough to put that compulsive liar on the witness stand. The prosecution would disembowel her.

Are they insisting she'll be found "innocent" or are they saying "not guilty" or "acquitted"? There's a big difference between "innocent" and the other two.

Are they insisting she'll be found "innocent" or are they saying "not guilty" or "acquitted"? There's a big difference between "innocent" and the other two.

The quote is: "Casey IS innocent".

Obviously under the circumstances THAT isn't possible.

Good catch, Debs!

I'm curious, though--Casey went on record saying the nanny kidnapped Caylee, therefore KC would have to take the stand to switch her story to "it was an accidental death-I was scared and covered it up" theme. I don't see how the defense could put forth that theory to a jury unless KC testified that's what really happened. And not even JB is foolish enough to put that compulsive liar on the witness stand. The prosecution would disembowel her.

You are right. IF the defense goes with an accident theory, Casey HAS to take the stand.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member