*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Arizona is the easiest place to get a gun in the US but when you get one they ask you if you have ever been diagnosed with a mental illness before they do the background check and if they find out you have you are denied the gun.

Granted those checks dont always show you have been.

Case in point, Jared Loughner.

I dont want to make this political I have very strong views about gun control but I can surely see your point, I dont know what the solution is. Banning things has NEVER worked, as soon as they ban ANYTHING it immediately becomes available on the BLACK MARKET and the bad guys will still get them and I would have no way to protect my family. Screw that.

I am pretty sure Loughner was never officially diagnosed with any mental illness prior to the shooting.

If his Mom Said: You got the right guy...Why didn't anyone else see anything at all?
I know it is often a hidden illness. But the public can see - School - etc... that something is off.

Regarding that statement another poster stated they felt it was the mothers response to yes he is my son ie you've got the right guy.

In that context it makes a lot more sense, otherwise it is a pretty bizarre statement taken the other way.

HOW ABOUT TESTING?
Someone like my daughter and they are all the same they LIE alot.
May say nop they have no MI....

TESTING may be a solution.

That is possible but I dont think people would go for and it and sounds expensive. But I would have no problem with it as I am not mentally ill so my guns would be ok.

Also I want to point out I am not all gun ho about guns I dont really care much for them and would LOVE a world WITHOUT THEM where they dont even make them, but this isnt 'Imagine" and I am not John Lennon, that is not the world we live in.

I believe the reporters are misinterpreting what the mother said. She supposedly said "you have the right person" after contacted by reporters. She could very well have meant by the right person that he was in fact her son, and she was his mother, not that she expected him to do anything like that.

That was my interpretation of her statement as well. If he hadn't had much contact with his parents recently, they probably had no clue what he was about to do.

MOO

I guess all i can say is i wish it was tougher to get a gun. Impossible to purchase an assault rifle. I have no doubt this guy would have found a means. And the others before him. Perhaps it would not be such a magnitude of Victims. I wish there were some concrete answers.

I am pretty sure Loughner was never officially diagnosed with any mental illness prior to the shooting.

Yes that is probably true, there was some suggestion he was but I dont think that was ever proven.

Regarding that statement another poster stated they felt it was the mothers response to yes he is my son ie you've got the right guy.

In that context it makes a lot more sense, otherwise it is a pretty bizarre statement taken the other way.

Isn't she the one who called LE after she heard about this?

Arizona is the easiest place to get a gun in the US

Even easier than the Republic of Texas? Is it true that you have "open carry" there as well?

Not to politicize anything, but the bad guys are always going to have guns. The bad guys will take their guns into a "gun free zone" and shoot people with them if they want to. Good citizens will not have their guns with them in places like that because they follow the law.

I don't have any answers. But the bottom line is that when the fecal matter hits the rotary blades, you have to be prepared to defend yourself. The police department in this case responded VERY quickly and had units on scene within a minute of the call, but you saw how much can happen in that minute.

This is being randomly placed and is not directed at any poster or any position on any issue.

Please take the in depth gun control debate to the Political Pavilion. There has been some good conversation about it on these threads, but it is a hot issue and can derail the topic at hand in a flash.

Thanks for your cooperation up to this point and if it is referenced here and there that is totally fine. It is just when we get into a debate about it- it becomes OT and frustrating to some.

THANK YOU!

I find the idea that somebody would study neuroscience because there is something mentally wrong with them to be completely bogus. There all kind of areas of study that scientists are involved in. And not because they themselves got these issues.

Oh I know, I was just throwing that out there. The entire area of scientific study is not for the mentally ill to self diagnose. Sometimes I wonder about some "therapists". (Ie...who would interpret a mental illness test to purchase a gun? Need a few opinions? Take another test?) I also don't see being a loner as a problem. Or being shy, or not dating at 24, or what have you. Something is off with this guy, but what it is, I have no clue.

Even easier than the Republic of Texas? Is it true that you have "open carry" there as well?

Not to politicize anything, but the bad guys are always going to have guns. The bad guys will take their guns into a "gun free zone" and shoot people with them if they want to. Good citizens will not have their guns with them in places like that because they follow the law.

I don't have any answers. But the bottom line is that when the fecal matter hits the rotary blades, you have to be prepared to defend yourself. The police department in this case responded VERY quickly and had units on scene within a minute of the call, but you saw how much can happen in that minute.
In Az we have open carry AND concealed carry with NO CCW no permits no NOTHING anyone over 18 can carry a firearm concealed.

If a person has thoughts of wanting to kill people they will find a way, gun or no gun. If he couldn't get a gun, he would have planted a bomb in the movie theatre. Or, he could have drove a truck through a large crowd of people. There are many things someone could do.

As far as calling the police because someone has coverings on their windows, other than curtains or they have a odd answering machine message, the police here would laugh at me if I did that. It's not illegal and they would think I was the crazy one. In a very small town, a officer might check something like that out, but not in a bigger city. Even if the police did go to his door, they would have to have a warrant to enter.

Here is the problem with psyche testing to determine who gets a gun and who doesnt, youre putting that power in to the hands of a few people and psyhologists/psychiatrists dont always get it right. That is a slippery slope to walk.

Something needs to be done but I dont know what, Ill get back to you after I consult my ouija board.

I find the idea that somebody would study neuroscience because there is something mentally wrong with them to be completely bogus. There all kind of areas of study that scientists are involved in. And not because they themselves got these issues.

I agree JJ. That would be like saying that those who study serial killers do so because they are or want to be one. Maybe some do, but I rather doubt you could make that statement about everyone who does.

Then again, I got a "C" in my Intro to Psych class back in the day.....

If a person has thoughts of wanting to kill people they will find a way, gun or no gun. If he couldn't get a gun, he would have planted a bomb in the movie theatre. Or, he could have drove a truck through a large crowd of people. There are many things someone could do.

As far as calling the police because someone has coverings on their windows, other than curtains or they have a odd answering machine message, the police here would laugh at me if I did that. It's not illegal and they would think I was the crazy one. In a very small town, a officer might check something like that out, but not in a bigger city. Even if the police did go to his door, they would have to have a warrant to enter.
That is correct if someone wants to kill they will kill. One way or another. That is the world we live in and the world which each of us had some hand in creating.

"She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son might have been involved.
"You have the right person," she said.
""I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado." "

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16817842&sid=81&p=2

Could somebody post the link in the a.m. before his Court Appearance. Most interested to see "him". CNN has reported his Dad is in Aurora. Not sure if he is still there. My heart breaks for him. Alone in that city. I hope he does have some support system there.

If his Mom Said: You got the right guy...Why didn't anyone else see anything at all?
Because there was nothing to see? Seriously. I do not see why people keep making such a big deal about this. Her response was to the media, who "finally" tracked down the Holmes family. And lest we forget, the media initially did such a stellar job, they identified the wrong James Holmes and had the public thinking he was from Tennessee, while a bunch of morons tried to friend him on FB, to the point he finally had to add "I'm not the theater shooter" to his profile page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper