*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said about AZ it is the easiest place to get a gun but if you have ever been convicted of a felony or domestic violence you cant get one legally, but the felons still get them.

The bad guys will always get them in fact the US government provided them to them in operation Fast and Furious and the attorney general of the US got in deep **** over it.

"She had awoken unaware of the news of the shooting and had not been contacted by authorities. She immediately expressed concern that her son might have been involved.
"You have the right person," she said.
""I need to call the police," she added. "I need to fly out to Colorado." "

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=16817842&sid=81&p=2

Makes sense, people who are hurting inside for whatever reason, mental illness or otherwise tend to want to hurt those who love them most, he probably called his parents and told them what he was gonna do IN A ROUNDABOUT WAY and they took it as idle threat from someone who had a history of that.

IF they really believed it they should have had a psychiatric hold ordered for him but I doubt he went in to details.

That is all just speculation I dont know Mr Holmes or his parents. I do know a lot of people who are hurting ACT OUT and try and hurt those around them in some way with threats of this or that.

Because there was nothing to see? Seriously. I do not see why people keep making such a big deal about this. Her response was to the media, who "finally" tracked down the Holmes family. And lest we forget, the media initially did such a stellar job, they identified the wrong James Holmes and had the public thinking he was from Tennessee, while a bunch of morons tried to friend him on FB, to the point he finally had to add "I'm not the theater shooter" to his profile page.

I think there was something to see. Especially since he has not been in contact with his family for almost the past year, along with what friends have said.

When the news comes out I think we will find out this kid has serious mental issues. We will see. I see signs already.

Makes sense, people who are hurting inside for whatever reason, mental illness or otherwise tend to want to hurt those who love them most, he probably called his parents and told them what he was gonna do IN A ROUNDABOUT WAY and they took it as idle threat from someone who had a history of that.

IF they really believed it they should have had a psychiatric hold ordered for him but I doubt he went in to details.

That is all just speculation I dont know Mr Holmes or his parents. I do know a lot of people who are hurting ACT OUT and try and hurt those around them in some way with threats of this or that.

True, but getting a psych hold on someone is not all that easy.

This is being randomly placed and is not directed at any poster or any position on any issue.

Please take the in depth gun control debate to the Political Pavilion. There has been some good conversation about it on these threads, but it is a hot issue and can derail the topic at hand in a flash.

Thanks for your cooperation up to this point and if it is referenced here and there that is totally fine. It is just when we get into a debate about it- it becomes OT and frustrating to some.

THANK YOU!
yoohoo

True, but getting a psych hold on someone is not all that easy.

He is from cali, all you need is a COP or EMT to file a 5150 if they believe the person is mentally ill and a threat to himself or others, its easy in cali. But he was in colorado I dont know how easy it is there but in cali its called a 5150 and any cop or emt can file that document and get at least a TEMPORARY HOLD for observation.

Hopefully, we will get more answers of what led up to this as the investigation unfolds.

I think what is so hard to grasp is there was no signs that we know of so far. He didn't have a history or violence, mental illness or drug usage. No one so far has said that he was acting bizarre before he did this. We may find out different as time goes on but for now that's all we know.

This makes it so hard, because we want answers so we can prevent things like this from happening in the future. Sometimes,it ends up that there just aren't any answers.

I am sure colorado has the same or similar but it isnt easy for parents to do that to their kid I imagine. In Florida it is called the Baker Act I believe.

Here is the problem with psyche testing to determine who gets a gun and who doesnt, youre putting that power in to the hands of a few people and psyhologists/psychiatrists dont always get it right. That is a slippery slope to walk.

Something needs to be done but I dont know what, Ill get back to you after I consult my ouija board.

Beyond a slippery slope...have absolutely ZERO clue how one would go about doing this....

Even in cases where people are brought to ER's by concerned friends/relatives when they have episodes of 'altered reality' (ER terminology apparently)...they are not 'diagnosed' in the ER, nor in followup, assuming you can get that individual to not 'check out'...and it is virtually impossible to get them into a psych center...voluntary, "forced", or whatever...

Cannot fathom a way that any reputable psychiatrist would give a go / no-go based on whatever ...questionaire, half-hour interview?

Beyond a slippery slope...have absolutely ZERO clue how one would go about doing this....

Even in cases where people are brought to ER's by concerned friends/relatives when they have episodes of 'altered reality' (ER terminology apparently)...they are not 'diagnosed' in the ER, nor in followup, assuming you can get that individual to not 'check out'...and it is virtually impossible to get them into a psych center...voluntary, "forced", or whatever...

Cannot fathom a way that any reputable psychiatrist would give a go / no-go based on whatever ...questionaire, half-hour interview?

Exactly. A mental health diagnoses can take years of observation by professionals, depending on the situation.

I think there was something to see. Especially since he has not been in contact with his family for almost the past year, along with what friends have said.

If he was heavily involved with his program at the university it is somewhat understandable he wouldn't be leading much of a social life. Many academics are somewhat of the loners due to their intense interest in their studies. From what I understand this was his basic personality dating back to high school. He wasn't completely withdrawn, however, being a camp counselor four years ago. In other words, there may not have been legitimate signs of a mental disorder.

MOO

With all due respect, please, as the moderators have already requested, stop. We are here to discuss the case, not gun control politics.

Actually mods said we can discuss gun control if we wish but to do it respectfully. Gun control or freedom is related to the case. However, telling posters what and what not to post is part of TOS violations though.

Here is a link to an article about a WW2 veteran who shot and killed 13 of his neighbors in 1949. I am posting this to add a little perspective to the events in Colorado. These "active shooter" incidents didn't originate with Columbine. The media never seems to go back any further than that event. This has been going on a whole lot longer than many people realize.

Mods....feel free to delete, alter, or remove this post if it doesn't fit. I just thought a little historical perspective might be a good idea.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/mass/howard_unruh/index.html

Sometime it is not obvious till they are past 18 and then parents are helpless. They cannot take them to any Dr.
They also do not want to over react, and never know if it is a threat, or if they are actually going to do something.

Here is a link to an article about a WW2 veteran who shot and killed 13 of his neighbors in 1949. I am posting this to add a little perspective to the events in Colorado. These "active shooter" incidents didn't originate with Columbine. The media never seems to go back any further than that event. This has been going on a whole lot longer than many people realize.

Mods....feel free to delete, alter, or remove this post if it doesn't fit. I just thought a little historical perspective might be a good idea.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/mass/howard_unruh/index.html

Yes we just hear about it more because of the internet and such. News travels and spreads fast these days but these sorts of crime are not particularly new.

Exactly. A mental health diagnoses can take years of observation by professionals, depending on the situation.

Are cops and firmen tested YES...

So maybe after one applies for arms it should take 2 years before they are approved.

YES it took many years to analize my daughter, she can con the best Doctor to think that he himself is nuts and she is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!