*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is police going to look him over for? Having a weird greeting on his phone? Is that illegal?

My understanding is this application was submitted electronically and there was no face-to-face contact with him? If I am correct, I agree, there's nothing much that could be done especially if Holmes didn't even pursue it.

MOO

Many who knew Holmes state how they just can't believe it.

The schools all report his exemplary level of acedemia until near the end.

A former classmate described what may be the main precursers. A job at McDonalds before returning to classes. post #636

A fascination turned fixation on supervillians. Like Heath Ledger's death and the resultant outpouring of grief and sympathy for him redirected within an abberant mind as sympathy for the devil, sympathy for the joker... sympathy for he who wears the same cloak.

Inside the jail initial reports have Holmes spitting on everything and acting out, comments like it seems he thinks he's playing a part in a movie.

Seems a complete split from reality yet he pleads the 5th and invokes his right to remain silent.

It does seem the bomb was meant for the Police. He is spitting at them, they a symbol of authority.

He was apparently on a downhill slide and was leaving clues if anyone could have picked up on them. Even his prof commented Holmes was the first to come to mind when he heard of the shooting.

Originally Posted by JBean
I don't know if he was failing- but he wasn't doing well:

A poor last semester
The Washington Post reported that a neuroscience faculty member at Colorado who said he taught Holmes said he immediately thought of Holmes when he heard that a student was accused of the shooting. The faculty member said Holmes was “very quiet, strangely quiet in class” and seemed “socially off.”
Holmes did very poorly on his comprehensive exams last semester, the instructor told the Post, and the school was considering placing him on academic probation, but was not considering expulsion.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...te-school?lite

The signs and alerts were not well understood nor coordinated into placing him on any sort of watch list. But they were there. I wonder what sort of nurse his mother was? A psych nurse? There were likely more signs in the past.

I'm not advocating a witch hunt or badgering of the parents or teachers but we have seen enough of these events to know there are usually warning signs left if we learn to read and understand them. I suspect many more will emerge (in hindsight).

The link below on antisocial behaviour is more what we are dealing with imo, an attack on society in general, no one in particular. Hense the anonymity of the movie theater, sharing the same underlying motivating theme as of the hard done by misunderstood joker. (in a warped mind)

#638 Today, 01:33 PM
Billiam
Registered User Join Date: May 2012

It has been speculated that James Holmes is enamored with the antagonists of movies such as Batman. This, to me, along with the allegations of being shy and reserved, is an indicator of an anti-social personality disorder. However, that is no excuse, he obviously has an anger problem that is focused on society. There is no motive, just strong negative emotions as well as a twisted train of thought.

http://www.drtomoconnor.com/1060/1060lect04b.htm

I don't know if you can catch something like this before it performs its deed, it is more a slow progression masked until it's time.

That guy just had a totally different look when he was younger.

Something definitely changed...........I'm leaning towards some type of shizophrenic break which affected his grades then dominoed......

As I posted elsewhere in 2006, IMO, the concept of “fame terrorist” is a significant factor for some serial killers, mass murderers, and spree killers [edited]:

Generally speaking, patterns of maladaptive behavior tend to increase in frequency, intensity, and/or duration as long as they continue to be reinforced by some combination of increased pleasure/comfort or decreased pain/discomfort. Since most of the reinforcing processes/fantasies are under the control of the murderer, such patterns are very likely to continue until/unless there is some type of critical change in access to victims (e.g., incarceration, hospitalization), motivation (e.g., disease processes, disability), perceptions (e.g., cognitive dysfunction, brain trauma), or beliefs and related values (i.e., a miracle). It is very similar to the reinforcing processes that feed pedophilia. That is, fantasy-driven, progressive and pervasive, lifelong, and being more age independent than the many types of criminal conduct that tend to “age out.” Such individuals tend to be loners with few competing reinforcers, regardless of their life situation and public persona. Years of self cognitive conditioning and related acting-out, combined with the strengthening process of secrecy and the ever narrowing range of interests, and the multiple functioning nature of the reinforcing processes (i.e., deviant pleasure plus deviant pain relief, both physical and psychological), ultimately create a self-made person who has lost (i.e., destroyed) the capacity to change by intent.

In recent years some new factors have been added to the killing formula ... mobility, easy access to *advertiser censored*, the internet, and the increasing reinforcing role of the media and related “fame.” The “successful” killer is one of the most powerful members of our society, even after incarceration. I believe these and other factors have combined to facilitate the development of new types of killers, those for whom the killing is merely incidental to gain access to the media and the public, much like a terrorist. Perhaps we should call them “fame terrorists” instead of serial killers, mass murderers, or spree killers. They certainly are not simply sexual sadists, regardless of their sexual fantasies and related lifestyles.

Russell

I'm sure he set a record for single day hits on an Adult FriendFinder profile. That's what he wanted. He did not intended to die for any cause.

"Will you visit me in prison?"

JMO

I'm sure he set a record for single day hits on an Adult FriendFinder profile. That's what he wanted. He did not intended to die for any cause.

"Will you visit me in prison?"

JMO
Obviously he believed he would be caught. Wonder if he had any concept what a life in prison would be like? It could be a very long time as he's only 24 years old.........

:behindbar:

.....It's extraordinarily difficult to know what to do when you first see signs of a loved one "not acting quite right"...

Thank you for that comment! I actually have a relative who has every single ingredient in his life to someday be like JH. It is sort of creepy because when I saw the first picture of JH, I saw my relative. My relative is from a family where the Mother is VERY domineering, and strong - she has to be because the Father is never there - he works construction and only comes home every few weeks for a weekend. This kid has grown up with the proverbial "domineering Mother and missing Father". He is also really smart, but not very social because he is somewhat nerdy. The family has always written his behavior off as "shy". He does NOT have a facebook account (that I can find), and he is in high school. He received a gun for his gift last Christmas, and he spent the day "in the woods". What do you do about a situation like that? I do not live close enough to keep an eye on things, and there are no laws against being "shy", "nerdy", or "strange" - THANK GOD, because I would have been arrested LONG ago!!! These are difficult questions with few, if any answers.

A clue as to when it began to unfold, the precursers.

Curious Me
Registered User Join Date: Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby2
Hmm.. I am just wondering what caused this-
"
Holmes had always excelled in his studies, but earlier this year, that once exemplary academic record took a dramatic downward spiral. Indeed, he was struggling so badly that last month he told the college that was going to drop out."

""He was a nice guy, who very much wanted to be liked and wanted," the young woman, who did not want to be named, told NBC News. "He was a very, very smart guy. I honestly cannot believe he could do this. I know, I know, everyone says that. But it is truly devastating to me.
"He did not have many friends for someone who wanted to be liked. And he loved all the villains in super-hero stuff, which I did point out as odd. Most people enjoy the hero."
"But he could not find a job after graduating, working at a McDonald's before returning to his studies in Colorado in May 2011. "I felt bad for him because he studied so hard," said Christine. "My brother said he looked kind of down; he seemed depressed."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ick-Joker.html

Just wondering what happened...

BBM Thanks for finding the link. I thought I read that somewhere. I wonder if liking the villains is a hint at feeling powerless or something.

BOOHOO he had to work at McDonalds. Who hasn't had a minimum wage job while working their way thru school. And those who work there life long work hard and should be respected for that. I think those experiences make for a well rounded person. Not directing this at anybody. He had a good brain to do good with. He chose to waste it.

BOOHOO he had to work at McDonalds. Who hasn't had a minimum wage job while working their way thru school. And those who work there life long work hard and should be respected for that. I think those experiences make for a well rounded person. Not directing this at anybody. He had a good brain to do good with. He chose to waste it.

I believe that was after he already graduated with B.S. that he couldn't find a job and had to work at McDonalds.

I am surprised McDonald's would hire someone with a Bachelors or Master degrees. I wonder what he did at McDonald's.

I am surprised McDonald's would hire someone with a Master's degrees. I wonder what he did at McDonald's.

He had B.S., not masters. What he did? I imagine the same thing everybody else does over their who is not in management-flipping burgers or working the register.

His having to work at McDonalds after having already recieved a degree in a very hard scientific discipline, followed by him going to a grad school for an even harder and more demanding schedule is critical to his actions, in my opinion. I think he was angry with the world because he had worked so dang hard, and he was not being recognized for anything!!! Life seemed hopeless and controlled by "those in power" - which is what the Batman movie is about. I would really love to know what song was playing in his apartment while he murdered innocent bright lives. I guarantee you, it meant something to him.

Even his prof commented Holmes was the first to come to mind when he heard of the shooting.

I didn't know this and was wondering when we were going to hear from his teachers/profs. Do you have a link? TIA xo

I guess that could be an affront to his dignity? (in his warped mind)

matou - I got the quote from Jbean in part 1 discussion. Still there I believe. Will look.

Reannan- Excellent!
His having to work at McDonalds after having already recieved a degree in a very hard scientific discipline, followed by him going to a grad school for an even harder and more demanding schedule is critical to his actions, in my opinion. I think he was angry with the world because he had worked so dang hard, and he was not being recognized for anything!!! Life seemed hopeless and controlled by "those in power" - which is what the Batman movie is about. I would really love to know what song was playing in his apartment while he murdered innocent bright lives. I guarantee you, it meant something to him.

What went on in his mind in reaction to having to take a job at McDonalds was likely quite different than any of ours would be.

I don't think many people who graduated college would be happy flipping burgers at McDonalds.
And if someone expects a good job after graduating then realizes its just not there-that someone is going to be very disappointed.
Not that it justifies anything, of course.

I didn't know this and was wondering when we were going to hear from his teachers/profs. Do you have a link? TIA xo

As far as I know, everybody who knew him commented how surprised they were. So, I would also like to see the link to this supposed comment.

Matthew Keys ‏@ProducerMatthew
Shooting suspect James Holmes received monthly check for around $2,100 as part of sponsorship grant - @CNNValencia

I believe that was after he already graduated with B.S. that he couldn't find a job and had to work at McDonalds.

Yes but still working toward a higher degree. Not directed at you. It was temporary. Most who don't want to do that type of work and are seeking higher education realize that and are willing to do whatever work to get there. I just find the reference to McDonald's insulting. Then again I find it some insight. Sense of entitlement? Again just bouncing off your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobAMac