*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Matthew Keys ‏@ProducerMatthew
Shooting suspect James Holmes received monthly check for around $2,100 as part of sponsorship grant - @CNNValencia

And I bet his tuition was paid too.

I don't think many people who graduated college would be happy flipping burgers at McDonalds.
And if someone expects a good job after graduating then realizes its just not there-that someone is going to be very disappointed.
Not that it justifies anything, of course.

I hear what you are saying. Many are reduced to minimim wage jobs. Many who have lost jobs would beg for that job to feed their Family. I have been lucky enough not to come from that. Did i work tough jobs thru school. Absolutely. Did i have to. No. It was just expected. Summers were not lay around and enjoy. I worked retail before going back another 4 years. You get up and go to a job every day. We raised our Children the same. I guess it's just a topic that makes me crazy LOL Done my rant.

Lead Valley Range gun range membership application shows James Holmes used the email address "dsherlockb@hotmail.com" when he applied.

I hear what you are saying. Many are reduced to minimim wage jobs. Many who have lost jobs would beg for that job to feed their Family. I have been lucky enough not to come from that. Did i work tough jobs thru school. Absolutely. Did i have to. No. It was just expected. Summers were not lay around and enjoy. I worked retail before going back another 4 years. You get up and go to a job every day. We raised our Children the same. I guess it's just a topic that makes me crazy LOL Done my rant.

JH was actually lucky. He got into a graduate school and was paid for it. But maybe in his mind world was not treating him right. Also, so far we haven't heard anything about him having girlfriends. Even Loughner had several girlfriends that came forward. If JH was unable to attract women -that could be another reason for him to think that world was just not treating him right.

Yes but still working toward a higher degree. Not directed at you. It was temporary. Most who don't want to do that type of work and are seeking higher education realize that and are willing to do whatever work to get there. I just find the reference to McDonald's insulting. Then again I find it some insight. Sense of entitlement? Again just bouncing off your post.

Agree, a sense of entitlement and he would have felt it was beneath him. Many students don't get jobs in their chosen career field, however, especially in a bad economy. Curious if he had any other work history while in high school or college? And when did he get the $2100/mo. grant?

:waitasec:

MOO

Gun range membership application:

wjTye.png

http://i.imgur.com/wjTye.png

Lead Valley Range gun range membership application shows James Holmes used the email address "dsherlockb@hotmail.com" when he applied.

As in Sherlock Holmes?

Agree, a sense of entitlement and he would have felt it was beneath him. Many students don't get jobs in their chosen career field however, especially in a bad economy. Curious if he had any other work history while in high school or college? And when did he get the $2100/mo. grant?

As far as I understand, this type of grant is given to the University, and University then decides which student gets it. So he wouldn't have to apply for the grant, just to the University. Once accepted, he would be paid from the grant.

I don't think many people who graduated college would be happy flipping burgers at McDonalds.
And if someone expects a good job after graduating then realizes its just not there-that someone is going to be very disappointed.
Not that it justifies anything, of course.

Yes I agree, and unfortunately not everyone respects those who work min-wage jobs. I was a supermarket cashier between finishing undergrad and starting my MS. There were many times that I was talked down to or berated by customers who thought they were better than me. I had someone ask me if I was stupid. It was absolutely a character-building experience for me. It was not easy to bite my tongue or swallow my pride and just let it go.

JH was actually lucky. He got into a graduate school and was paid for it. But maybe in his mind world was not treating him right. Also, so far we haven't heard anything about him having girlfriends. Even Loughner had several girlfriends that came forward. If JH was unable to attract women -that could be another reason for him to think that world was just not treating him right.

Agree. My gut feeling right now is anger being the root. Society was going to pay.

Yes I agree, and unfortunately not everyone respects those who work min-wage jobs. I was a supermarket cashier between finishing undergrad and starting my MS. There were many times that I was talked down to or berated by customers who thought they were better than me. I had someone ask me if I was stupid. It was absolutely a character-building experience for me. It was not easy to bite my tongue or swallow my pride and just let it go.

Having worked as a cashier myself, I understand full well.
:seeya:

As far as I understand, this type of grant is given to the University, and University then decides which student gets it. So he wouldn't have to apply for the grant, just to the University. Once accepted, he would be paid from the grant.

Yep, this is my understanding of sponsorship grants, based on how mine works.

Just more info :

He was one of six recipients of a Neuroscience Training Grant from the National Institutes of Health, which funds pre-thesis Ph.D. students in the neuroscience program at the nschutz Medical Campus.
According to the university, the focus of the program is on "training outstanding neuroscientists and academicians who will make significant contributions to neurobiology."
He reportedly failed a preliminary exam before pulling out of the program, according to ABC News' Denver affiliate KMGH-TV. It is unclear if the exam was related to his decision to leave the program.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/colorado-movie-shooting-james-holmes/story?id=16829552

and:

The NIH says the university decides who gets the grants

http://www.nbc11news.com/home/headl...l-grant-to-study-neuroscience--163319796.html

This guy had more opportunities than many pursuing Education. Usually takes me a day or 2 for the anger to set in. Guess today is the day :banghead: Thanks for letting me vent. I think I'm good now :please:

jjenny
Registered User Join Date: Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by matou
I didn't know this and was wondering when we were going to hear from his teachers/profs. Do you have a link? TIA xo

As far as I know, everybody who knew him commented how surprised they were. So, I would also like to see the link to this supposed comment.

link to the :"supposed comment" below
a neuroscience faculty member at Colorado who said he taught Holmes said he immediately thought of Holmes when he heard that a student was accused of the shooting

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/07/20/12854157-aurora-suspect-james-holmes-was-buying-guns-dropping-out-of-graduate-school?lite

found in part 1, page 49, post 1202
It slipped by a bit under the wire matou..

Gun range membership application:
<modsnip>
matou need a link for all pictures please. let me know if you don't have one and I will find one for you.
thanks

Just trying to put it in perspective with his job at McDonalds, which I believe the media reported was last year. If he now had the grant, wouldn't that negate him having to take a minimum wage job as having any connection with the shooting?

MOO

Just trying to put it in perspective with his job at McDonalds, which I believe the media reported was last year. If he now had the grant, wouldn't that negate him having to take a minimum wage job as having any connection with the shooting?

MOO

From what I understand, people who commit that type of crime, collect "injustices" they perceive were committed against them. So, not necessarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz