*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually in hindsight I do not think so.

Had he been the one to phone in the disturbance at his apartment, then waited on it to be responded to, heck he could have easily watched for twenty minutes while chaos ensued and then gone on his rampage. That would fit your coherent, efficient and organized statement but the way it was carried out was sloppy, juvenile to leave to chance the apartment when it would have been easy to set that in motion beforehand.

Originally Posted by Benny08

Originally posted by FootWarrior

The AR15 is a semi-automatic weapon, a civilian version of the M-16. It uses a low-caliber (.223), high velocity bullet designed to pass through the body. A legal, non-reconfigured AR-15 uses bullets only a step above a .22 rifle. Compare that to an illegal AK-47 which uses bullets that have a lower velocity and are designed to cause maximum damage when it enters the human body. I believe that most people have a knee-jerk reaction to the look of the AR-15 and instantly compare it to a fully automatic weapon.
This post isn't making any judgements on JH's choice of weapons, but to give a bit of background on the weapon. Make no mistake, it's a deadly weapon, especially in the wrong hands.
The above is MO only.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims, their families, and JH's family and friends.

Can I just say you guys are scary, please don't hang out together. Lol!:gasp:

and all kinds of other mental illnesses. What this criminal did is not becasue of depression and I really think this type of thinking does a disservice to the many millions of people who have suffer from depression, bi-polar disease and others. They are not dangerous people, prone to acts of violence and mass murder by virtue of their mental illness. Can someone with a mental illness also be a criminal-yes, but it is nto causal nor particularly relevant.

As far as I'm concerned whether the guy was ever depressed is as irrelevant as whether he ever had kidney disease. Neither causes mass murder and linking and diagnosing mental illnesses from photos suggests that mental illness is some causal factor here. The only relevant mental standard here is whether he is competent to stand trial-and there is zero indication he isn't based upon his crime and how it was committed and anything else is just rank speculation, that is, to me, irrelevant to the crime and the justice system.

oh yes, depression in men tends to manifest more violence than depression in women. And like i said, some of websleuthers are interested in the WHYs so as to help prevent more of the same in the future.

oh yes, depression in men tends to manifest more violence than depression in women. And like i said, some of websleuthers are interested in the WHYs so as to help prevent more of the same in the future.

There is no way to prevent more of the same in the future because US refuses to consider gun control.

Actually in hindsight I do not think so.

Had he been the one to phone in the disturbance at his apartment, then waited on it to be responded to, heck he could have easily watched for twenty minutes while chaos ensued and then gone on his rampage. That would fit your coherent, efficient and organized statement but the way it was carried out was sloppy, juvenile to leave to chance the apartment when it would have been easy to set that in motion beforehand.

I don't think he wanted to set it in motion beforehand. I think he planned on it being the 'aftermath' of the event. He figured that if he was shot and killed or caught, the cops would go to his apartment and break his door in, and then be blown up and a fire would start, creating more chaos.

But once he was taken into custody he told them about the booby trap. I am not sure why he did, but luckily he did so.

ETA: But the main point is, he was not acting like a schizophrenic that had no idea what was going on that night. He bought a ticket, acted normally, and then did a whole 'trick' when he answered a fake cell call and went and opened the exit door. That was a calculated scenario that took some focus and concentration.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-depression/MC00041

But a few other things commonly show up in men that may not be recognized as depression signs and symptoms:

Escapist behavior, such as spending a lot of time at work or on sports
Alcohol or substance abuse
Controlling, violent or abusive behavior
Inappropriate anger
Risky behavior, such as reckless driving
Infidelity or unhealthy sexual relationships

He fits a few of these...

no diagnosis, this is all my opinion.

what i want to know is, why did he tell about the bombs? sign of remorse after the fact? trying to score points with LE? very curious what made him tell on himself.

Bull they hired there private attorney (while there son has court appointed) they petrified they could be charged "you knew, you are a nurse, the fact that your son was dangerous) that is why they have there own private attorney) and like I have done IMO, (bla) this person has been very mentally ill for years mom, nurse knows

IMO the family hired an attorney to handle the multiple media requests, as well as help them navigate through this horrible situation.
What on earth could the mother be charged with? Even if she did 'know' her son was dangerous, what could she have done? There's not a whole lot parents can do for their adult children in situations like this. IMO, given all of the people who have come forward to speak about JH, and none of them saw any red flags, it is unlikely that there was any significant hx of overt erratic behavior.

Above is MO only.

There is no way to prevent more of the same in the future because US refuses to consider gun control.

Not only that. Anyone can stop taking their meds, or decide they cannot afford them, and flip out and decide to kill as many people as possible. There really is no way of controlling it. (That is if they are on meds to begin with.) A completely normal person can also just flip and plan, then execute, killing people.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-depression/MC00041

But a few other things commonly show up in men that may not be recognized as depression signs and symptoms:

Escapist behavior, such as spending a lot of time at work or on sports
Alcohol or substance abuse
Controlling, violent or abusive behavior
Inappropriate anger
Risky behavior, such as reckless driving
Infidelity or unhealthy sexual relationships

He fits a few of these...

no diagnosis, this is all my opinion.
Gee, I hope we are not going to blame it on depression, considering that large percentage of the population is in fact depressed.

Originally Posted by Benny08

Originally posted by FootWarrior

The AR15 is a semi-automatic weapon, a civilian version of the M-16. It uses a low-caliber (.223), high velocity bullet designed to pass through the body. A legal, non-reconfigured AR-15 uses bullets only a step above a .22 rifle. Compare that to an illegal AK-47 which uses bullets that have a lower velocity and are designed to cause maximum damage when it enters the human body. I believe that most people have a knee-jerk reaction to the look of the AR-15 and instantly compare it to a fully automatic weapon.
This post isn't making any judgements on JH's choice of weapons, but to give a bit of background on the weapon. Make no mistake, it's a deadly weapon, especially in the wrong hands. The above is MO only.
My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the victims, their families, and JH's family and friends.

ITA! There is no comparison to the AK47 which is illegal to own and the AR15 semi automatic rifle.

BBM

Of course it is a deadly weapon when used to murder and injure people. Anything can be a deadly weapon.......just like I read today about a man in Texas who was driving a vehicle and killed thirteen people and injured many more.

IMO

Not only that. Anyone can stop taking their meds, or decide they cannot afford them, and flip out and decide to kill as many people as possible. There really is no way of controlling it. (That is if they are on meds to begin with.) A completely normal person can also just flip and plan, then execute, killing people.

And I am pretty sure this guy wasn't on any meds (at least the prescribed kind).

Took a long time to dismantle that supposedly "sloppy, juvenile" booby trapped apartment. Most people would not be able to set anything like that up if their life depended on it.
:rolleyes:

You misunderstood me, the sloppy/juvenile part on his actions was leaving that to chance, he could have easily made sure that that part of his plan was successful. And seeing how much he actually did put into that planning, one would think they would want to make sure that that part goes according to plan, allowing a chance for it not to go off was his mistake. Setting it up was the hard part, getting it to explode should have been easy.

He is guilty. His parents know this. Why spend thousands of dollars to hire him an attorney? I couldn't imagine what it would feel like if my precious babe, that I change diapers, play peek a boo, watch the beautiful smile, turned into a mass murderer. I'm sure they are having an extremely diffictul time right now. I feel for them, I really do.

Me too. I cant imagine their pain.

Gee, I hope we are not going to blame it on depression, considering that large percentage of the population is in fact depressed.

something like this is not caused by one thing, or illness. I am considering all of the factors that may have converged on this young man in the last few years.

Just me, considering all the angles

The term 'mental illness' is a huge umbrella. There are a lot of mental illnesses which would not be legal justification for murder.

If he has bi-polar disorder or schizophrenia that alone does not mean he will be getting a 'get out of jail' free card. He has to prove that he did not know what he was doing was 'wrong.'

And he obviously KNEW it was wrong, because he snuck around before he came in shooting. He cased the place, sat in the front row and then went out the exit door and made sure it was open so he could come back in with his weapons and protective gear. he was obviously thinking clearly enough to protect himself and to make sure he had as many victims as possible.

ETA: As for the question of not being accepted into the graduate program if he was mentally ill. If he was so mentally ill that he did not know it was wrong to shoot innocent people in a bloody massacre, then he would not have been able to get past the administrators of this program. I never said ALL mentally ill people would be held back, but anyone that was as far gone as not knowing that killing 70 people is wrong, would be. JMO

I must make myself clear on what I was saying. I did not state anything about his mental status. The person that I was using as an example was myself. Nowhere did I state he was insane or that he was ill. The insinuation that mentally ill people shouldn't be awarded scholarships or entry into graduate programs was what I was commenting on. The college had no way of knowing what was coming. Even if Holmes did have a history of mental illness it would not and should not have impacted his college education was the point I was trying to make.

When something like this happens people begin yelling "mental illness "and I see all of us getting grouped together, which angers me.

jmo

sgallman ‏@sgallman
#CNN asked Arapaho Sheriff's office whether or not James Holmes was medicated-Deputy said, "Even if I did know I couldn't tell you."

I would be very surprised to learn that Holmes has any documented history of mental illness.

I dont think he is mentally ill. He planned these vile acts since May with careful precision. He wore the best body armor while doing so. This shows he knew he could be fired upon by LE if they caught him. He knew what he was doing was criminal and he came there with all intentions of killing others and protecting himself from being shot.

His lawyer wasnt having to explain anything to him in court today either.

It is going to be a very hard sell that he is criminally insane by judicial standards when there is going to be so much evidence of carefully planning these horrid acts for months and then carrying it out. He didnt do this on the spur of the moment. He reminds me of the Ft. Hood shooter who carefully planned.

Maybe to some it is easier to digest if they think the defendant was mentally ill at the time. I dont believe it. I think he was one very intelligent person who knew very well how to carefully plan and execute. No one has a mental break from reality for months on end and yet is still able to maintain and do their daily tasks.

Now it wouldnt surprise me if this is his defense. What other defense does the defense attorney really have? Nothing. It wont fly imo. He was too smart for his own good and too detailed and that is going to be his downfall in the end.

IMO

I must make myself clear on what I was saying. I did not state anything about his mental status. The person that I was using as an example was myself. Nowhere did I state he was insane or that he was ill. The insinuation that mentally ill people shouldn't be awarded scholarships or entry into graduate programs was what I was commenting on. The college had no way of knowing what was coming. Even if Holmes did have a history of mental illness it would not and should not have impacted his college education was the point I was trying to make.

When something like this happens people begin yelling "mental illness "and I see all of us getting grouped together, which angers me.

jmo

Since you were responding to me, I never insinuated that mentally ill people shouldn't be awarded scholarships or fellowships. What I said is that this training was wasted on him, since he is now accused of mass murder and isn't likely to need the training he got. And yes, if some other student was accepted instead of him, that student presumably could have used that training for what it was intended to. But I never said I blamed the school for accepting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214