*DEVELOPING*CO Shooting at Movie Theater #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one Shelby:

"For Miss Fonzi, there was a particularly chilling twist to last week's horrors. For at midnight on Friday, music started to blare from the apartment upstairs.

She and her boyfriend called the non-emergency police line to report the noise nuisance. But when there was no response, she went upstairs to rap on the door to ask for the music to be turned off.

"It was particularly strange as we had never heard a squeak from that apartment before," she said. "I knocked on the door, but there was no answer.

"Then I noticed that it was not properly shut and I almost opened it, but something made me stop at the last moment. I thank God I did."

For behind the door was the trip wire that was intended to blow up the apartment. Police now believe that Holmes had set the music on a timer in the hope of eliciting a complaint to police and luring officers totheir death."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-James-Holmes-the-making-of-a-sick-Joker.html

This couple was on the news yesterday and said the exact thing. I think it was FOX News (national).

Yep, ex-hubby is one. A bit odd, but that is b/c his brain is always elsewhere. He also has a low tolerance for us "less bright" beings, lol. I call him an "intellectual nazi". He can be a pain, but he literally will not kill a fly. He'll spend days trying to figure out a good way to get it out of the house. Usually it dies first of natural fly death. He does some odd things, like wear his bathrobe to go buy cigarettes, but that is who he is. He thinks it is all good. Few friends b/c he is shy and intolerant at the same time.

I dig him already LOL

Just found this too.

Colorado rampage: Legally, focus to be death penalty, expert says
http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/...ooting-death-penalty-20120722,0,5926724.story

snipped and BBM...Kamin predicts that as the case moves forward, points of dispute between the prosecution and the defense will revolve less on the question of what Holmes did or did not do on Friday morning, and more on his state of mind at the time.

...and the fringe conspiracy theorists abound. I had to delete a long-time friend's husband from my Facebook list, today, because he kept going on and on about how this was a government-planned attack and to stop blaming the shooter. I'm sure my friend will be mad at me when she realizes that I have deleted him, but, oh well.

...and the fringe conspiracy theorists abound. I had to delete a long-time friend's husband from my Facebook list, today, because he kept going on and on about how this was a government-planned attack and to stop blaming the shooter. I'm sure my friend will be mad at me when she realizes that I have deleted him, but, oh well.

Maybe it was a plot to bury Katie Holmes name on internet searches. LOL

Colorado shooting spree could have been worse; shooter’s gun jammed, official says ( link )
By David A. Fahrenthold, Thomas Heath and Joel Achenbach
Washington Post, July 22, 2012, 12:55

Initial police accounts said Holmes surrendered without incident to police who found him at his car in the rear of the Aurora theater. But Oates, in an interview on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on Sunday, described a more complicated scene in the minutes after the shooting: He said that officers arriving at the scene might have mistaken Holmes for a SWAT officer. He allegedly wore a helmet, throat guard, ballistic vest, ballistic leggings, gloves and was dressed entirely in black.

Oates said a piece of equipment in Holmes’ elaborate gear — he wouldn’t specify which piece — struck one of the responding officers as irregular. The officer questioned Holmes. Oates did not describe the exchange, only the result: Holmes was arrested.
Comment: So... basically, had LE not been on their toes, so to speak, this guy could have slipped away into the night to wreak even more havoc.

I don't think there is any chance he will show up in court; I'm guessing he'll be live via video.

I luv "quirky" people. They fascinate me. I have a few "quirks" of my own. Luckily we are all normal functioning harmless people. We think :floorlaugh:

Not that you asked, but...

Temporal illusions, like any other type of sensory illusion, are part of the brain's normal functions. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2866156/ You certainly don't need to be using drugs to experience them, and they're very interesting because understanding them reveals how the brain works to create perception. Even people who don't know jack about the brain can be intrigued by the idea that our own senses can play tricks on us. Talking about and demonstrating common sensory illusions has always been a great "hook" for me to start a talk with when I'm presenting to high school or college students.

Also, whoever (Joe?) said that working on a PhD would be like having 2 FT jobs is right. I just worked 27 days in a row, 13-14 hrs/day. Before that it was less crazy in the sense that I wasn't chained to the lab, but every day I was in for at least 6-8 hrs and then took home a stack of papers to read, or a manuscript to review, in the evening. My labmates (the cool ones) ARE my friends. The only other social contacts I have are my family, other students, and people I see when I go to fitness classes. (And my cat.) not every branch of neuroscience, or every lab, has this type of schedule. I have no way of knowing what JH's would've been like. I just know that I'm not an extreme outlier.

jamesholmes_t620.jpg

Photo of perp in a lab setting. I noticed that no one is wearing goggles either.

http://www.utsandiego.com/photos/2012/jul/20/645409/

But what could be done? There's nothing illegal with having a weird answering machine message (with Batman references) or having Cheers as your email salutation. I actually laughed at the Cheers because I have a very normal friend who signs hers with that and she is not a mass murderer or even close.

If we locked up every person in the US for being weird, more people would be in than out.
If you are running a shooting range you can discriminate whom you allow in. and call the police to just look this guy over.

If you are running a shooting range you can discriminate whom you allow in. and call the police to just look this guy over.

What is police going to look him over for? Having a weird greeting on his phone? Is that illegal?

I know it was mentioned earlier about LE and not being valued for the work they do. I am dumbfounded by the wage and cutbacks in light of crime today. My Country does have cutbacks but both LE and FD demand a Degree. Most have 6 years of Education to be considered for LE. For every 1 FD posting at least 1,000 applicants. Tough to get in. Benefits are excellent and pay is excellent for both. As it should be. Makes me sad some risk their life every day and aren't even paid well. Colorado LE did an awesome job. Kudos.

It is my understanding that James Holmes was particularly interested in the neuroscience of “temporal illusions,” which is related to time perception. As is addressed in the following article, psychoactive substances can significantly alter one’s perception of time, as can various clinical disorders and personality characteristics.

Time perception - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just speculating, but perhaps James Holmes was doing a bit of psychoactive substance experimentation using himself as the subject, which precipitated the onset of a clinical disorder to which he was predisposed.

I’m not suggesting he did not know what he was doing.
Russell

As I posted elsewhere in 2006, IMO, the concept of “fame terrorist” is a significant factor for some serial killers, mass murderers, and spree killers [edited]:

Generally speaking, patterns of maladaptive behavior tend to increase in frequency, intensity, and/or duration as long as they continue to be reinforced by some combination of increased pleasure/comfort or decreased pain/discomfort. Since most of the reinforcing processes/fantasies are under the control of the murderer, such patterns are very likely to continue until/unless there is some type of critical change in access to victims (e.g., incarceration, hospitalization), motivation (e.g., disease processes, disability), perceptions (e.g., cognitive dysfunction, brain trauma), or beliefs and related values (i.e., a miracle). It is very similar to the reinforcing processes that feed pedophilia. That is, fantasy-driven, progressive and pervasive, lifelong, and being more age independent than the many types of criminal conduct that tend to “age out.” Such individuals tend to be loners with few competing reinforcers, regardless of their life situation and public persona. Years of self cognitive conditioning and related acting-out, combined with the strengthening process of secrecy and the ever narrowing range of interests, and the multiple functioning nature of the reinforcing processes (i.e., deviant pleasure plus deviant pain relief, both physical and psychological), ultimately create a self-made person who has lost (i.e., destroyed) the capacity to change by intent.

In recent years some new factors have been added to the killing formula ... mobility, easy access to *advertiser censored*, the internet, and the increasing reinforcing role of the media and related “fame.” The “successful” killer is one of the most powerful members of our society, even after incarceration. I believe these and other factors have combined to facilitate the development of new types of killers, those for whom the killing is merely incidental to gain access to the media and the public, much like a terrorist. Perhaps we should call them “fame terrorists” instead of serial killers, mass murderers, or spree killers. They certainly are not simply sexual sadists, regardless of their sexual fantasies and related lifestyles.

Russell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member