Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When did JSS tell her this? I missed this somewhere along the way of this roller coaster ride.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JSS did this in Trial #2 when it became obvious that Jodi wasn't going to allocute. She spoke with Jodi directly, I believe, at the bench, with the public in court, since we got it tweeted. Almost certainly, the goal was to prevent Jodi from later saying that it was everyone else's fault that she was sentenced to whatever and that she didn't willingly give up the right to allocute. JSS had Jodi make it clear that she did indeed willingly give up her right to allocute: it was her own decision. JSS spelled out what the opportunity to allocute meant. Then, she asked Jodi if she had taken any meds, no doubt to record that Jodi made the decision and couldn't later claim she was not "all there". (Ironically, I believe it's possible Jodi was supposed to be on meds, but was out of compliance.) While these moments of direct communication with the defendant at the bench, I believe, aren't that common, I thought it was clever of JSS to preempt any future manipulations of Jodi on this score.

She killed him three times over, and after his death, tried for a fourth time, by spending 8 years killing his reputation. I'd like to think the judge would do the right thing, and I expect that she will, but the truth is, you just never know.

So interesting, when you consider that during her interrogation with Flores, she keeps bringing it back to her reputation. She clearly sees things through that lens. When she filed the motion asking to plead to 2nd degree, her threat to Martinez was ominous, and after he rejected it, she was true to her word. Her assassination of Travis' character was evidence of her malicious nature.

This did confuse me. It sounds like the judge was an advocate. It doesn't sound remotely impartial to me. I don't get it. Is this something in the 'judge handbook'?

She was just covering all the bases. Fewer issues for an appeal.

The Manson gang all got death sentences which were very shortly after commuted to Life when DP was banned in California. When commuted, they all then had a chance for parole. All have had parole hearings and all have been denied every time. Even Atkins, dying of cancer, did not get paroled; she died of her illness behind bars.

This should help ease the pain in the event Arias is given a chance for release some day. She won't get out. Even if this judge gives this killer the chance of being free one day, she will never get out. Not ever.

Oh, okay. So she was instructing her to beg for mercy in case she was not counselled to do so?

There is a clip I posted when JSS asked JA if she was allocuting (during penalty phase). She pretty much advised that this was her last chance to: Show, mercy, explain the crime, and show remorse. JA chose none of if unless it was "in secret". JSS explains to her it ain't happening since the CoA ruling ...

I think JSS is viewing this from a juror's eyes and she will get LWOP. JMO

So interesting, when you consider that during her interrogation with Flores, she keeps bringing it back to her reputation. She clearly sees things through that lens. When she filed the motion asking to plead to 2nd degree, her threat to Martinez was ominous, and after he rejected it, she was true to her word. Her assassination of Travis' character was evidence of her malicious nature.

I believe she did say "she would drag TA through the mud" if she doesn't get LWOP, DP OFF the table.

Oh, okay. So she was instructing her to beg for mercy in case she was not counselled to do so?

JSS did not instruct her to do anything. She just asked if it was true she did not wish to allocute and when JA said she did not wish to allocute in open court the judge reminded her it was her chance to beg for mercy, explain the crime, etc. JSS never told her to do it. She just wanted it on the record that the killer knew what allocution was for and still waived her right to allocute.

It was all about getting it on record. I don't think JSS cared if JA did or did not allocute, she just didn't want JA going to a higher court and claiming not to understand what she was giving up.

The Manson gang all got death sentences which were very shortly after commuted to Life when DP was banned in California. When commuted, they all then had a chance for parole. All have had parole hearings and all have been denied every time. Even Atkins, dying of cancer, did not get paroled; she died of her illness behind bars.

This should help ease the pain in the event Arias is given a chance for release some day. She won't get out. Even if this judge gives this killer the chance of being free one day, she will never get out. Not ever.

Truedat. Jodi and her team might feel that they won some sort of pyrrhic victory, but if you look at those Manson girls, each and every one has suffered behind bars. Even with all sorts of educational and other opportunities afforded them (as lifers, really?), they all have the same refrain: they want to be free.

That's the reality for them. No matter what a happy face Jodi puts on regarding her sentencing, that's going to be her new reality.

Truedat. Jodi and her team might feel that they won some sort of pyrrhic victory, but if you look at those Manson girls, each and every one has suffered behind bars. Even with all sorts of educational and other opportunities afforded them (as lifers, really?), they all have the same refrain: they want to be free.

That's the reality for them. No matter what a happy face Jodi puts on regarding her sentencing, that's going to be her new reality.

From all accounts, the Manson girls have been model prisoners. They have all expressed remorse and accepted responsibility for their crimes, and still they are denied parole. Arias is never going to do that. She is incapable of feeling remorse.

Many think that as time passes the severity of Arias's crime will diminish and that a parole board of the future will not see the brutality of her acts. I disagree with this. Just as the Manson girls went down in infamy due to the nature of their crimes, so will Jodi Arias. This was a high profile trial and there is a voluminous record of it, complete with photographs galore. Nobody will have a chance to "forget" what Jodi Arias did to Travis Alexander.

I am not worried about Arias ever getting out because it absolutely will never happen. The reason I really want her to be sentenced to no chance of parole (which I believe will be an option some day in AZ) is because I do not want the Alexanders to have to deal with having to attend parole hearings the way Sharon Tate's sister had to.

from all accounts, the manson girls have been model prisoners. They have all expressed remorse and accepted responsibility for their crimes, and still they are denied parole. Arias is never going to do that. She is incapable of feeling remorse.

Many think that as time passes the severity of arias's crime will diminish and that a parole board of the future will not see the brutality of her acts. I disagree with this. Just as the manson girls went down in infamy due to the nature of their crimes, so will jodi arias. This was a high profile trial and there is a voluminous record of it, complete with photographs galore. Nobody will have a chance to "forget" what jodi arias did to travis alexander.

I am not worried about arias ever getting out because it absolutely will never happen. The reason i really want her to be sentenced to no chance of parole (which i believe will be an option some day in az) is because i do not want the alexanders to have to deal with having to attend parole hearings the way sharon tate's sister had to.

totally agree with every point you made.

I hope the Alexanders never have to go before a parole board to try and stop Jodi from ever getting out.

During Atkins' 2000 parole hearing, Sharon Tate's sister, Debra, read a statement written by their father, Paul, which said in part, "Thirty-one years ago I sat in a courtroom with a jury and watched with others. I saw a young woman who giggled, snickered and shouted out insults; even while testifying about my daughter's last breath, she laughed. My family was ripped apart. If Susan Atkins is released to rejoin her family, where is the justice?

Wonder if HLN will carry this live? Also, Jodi wont get to change clothes for this hearing will she?

From all accounts, the Manson girls have been model prisoners. They have all expressed remorse and accepted responsibility for their crimes, and still they are denied parole. Arias is never going to do that. She is incapable of feeling remorse.

Many think that as time passes the severity of Arias's crime will diminish and that a parole board of the future will not see the brutality of her acts. I disagree with this. Just as the Manson girls went down in infamy due to the nature of their crimes, so will Jodi Arias. This was a high profile trial and there is a voluminous record of it, complete with photographs galore. Nobody will have a chance to "forget" what Jodi Arias did to Travis Alexander.

I am not worried about Arias ever getting out because it absolutely will never happen. The reason I really want her to be sentenced to no chance of parole (which I believe will be an option some day in AZ) is because I do not want the Alexanders to have to deal with having to attend parole hearings the way Sharon Tate's sister had to.

As long as there are judges like this -
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-covering-mouth-didn-t-intend-harm-her.html
and people like JA who are expert at manipulation, we never know what will happen down the road..... Heck, JSS even acknowledged that she knew JA was manipulating her, but then let her
go ahead and do it !! She should have got the death penalty. Even if it took twenty years to arrive , that is the ONLY remedy for vermin like JA.

I really hope Angela Simpson is planning a warm welcome for CMJA.
It would be a nice gesture if we ALL lit a candle for an "interesting" welcome to take place for the sadistic murderer and animal torturer JA.

I would love to have some of those chill pills, Dog Gone Cute! I'll probably need some cupcakes and chocolate as well. :D

Dog.Gone.Cute has surpassed herself. Love the animation posts, I also showed my little granddaughter, she laughed and clapped her little hands, then asked me to do some more. I think dog.gone.cute created an emotions monster LOL

And while we enjoy that, here's what is most likely in store for our friend JA - a full body search and a cell:

cell-smiley.gif

cavitysearch-smiley.gif
Oh my, your cavity search gif is the best emoticon ever! I'm laughing so hard I think I'll choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We all know how much CMJA can *ahem* fit in the caboose.

I read Borgezi's book, "Helter Skelter", not long after the Manson trials. He vowed to be at every parole hearing to make sure none of them got out.

I guess Juan and Flores will be at any parole hearings there are for CMJA. God bless them. This is a job that will never be done.

I wish I could say that JSS will sentence the lying murderess to LWOP I still have doubts. The main reason is the absolute disregard for the US Constitution, allowing JA to testify in "secret". I would LOVE JSS to give JA a verbal spanking, mentioning her continued manipulations of the court, her smearing the name and reputation of the VICTIM without any viable proof and her TOTAL LACK OF REMORSE. A gal can dream right? LOL

[QUOTEOriginally Posted by FelicityLemon I wonder if any of her psych witness supporters will speak on her behalf? It would be incredibly insensitive to the Alexanders, but it didn't seem to bother them while testifying. LaViolette, anyone?=
ElleElle;11663726]How about Samuels, Gus, both MM's?[/QUOTE]

I think that the expert medical opinions would be included in the pre-sentence report--the one JA refused to assist in preparing--along with a report on JA's behaviour while incarcerated, reports on her education, descriptions of her family, statements of friends and relatives.

From what I've read, my guess is that the DT will run through the mitigators again and that if they present witnesses, those witnesses will be talking about JA's good qualities. They'll be presenting their opinions and their hopes that JSS will see JA as someday rejoining society.

I read Borgezi's book, "Helter Skelter", not long after the Manson trials. He vowed to be at every parole hearing to make sure none of them got out.

I guess Juan and Flores will be at any parole hearings there are for CMJA. God bless them. This is a job that will never be done.

The author of "Helter Skelter" is Vincent Bugliosi. OT: I am reading a book authored by him called "And the Sea Will Tell" Creepy murder mystery IMO. http://seanmunger.com/2013/08/30/di...raham-missing-39-years-and-the-palmyra-curse/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GhostlyDarling