Discussions on Formal Sentencing Hearing - Jodi Arias #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all of this is confusing to those of us whose only knowledge of prison is TV or movies, and there are a lot of rules & terminology to learn...hopefully this will help.

Yes, yard 30 at Lumley is where all Max Custody inmates go, and all lifers are Max Custody for the first couple years.

Max is single person to a cell, having a cellmate is Close custody and a dorm setting is Medium (the lowest a lifer can go). Max custody inmates progress through a behavior incentive step program where privileges are earned and with few infractions a lowered security level (like Close) can eventually be earned - depending upon how many years of a life sentence they've served.
0-2 years of life served is Max, 2-5 years served (with good behavior) can earn Close and after 5 years they can get to Medium custody. While still in Max she can earn fewer restraints and have contact with other inmates when outside her cell - during classes/programs, dining and recreation. BTW, the rules say all inmates are expected to work, it's not an earned privilege, but where they can work and what they can do depends on their custody level.

Restricted housing is a extra security required designation within MaxCustody, and is much more severe. They are isolated both in and out of the cell, and it takes longer to earn fewer privileges. This restricted housing designation means full isolation basically, with full restraints and probably extra guards when she does leave her cell. She will have a low commissary allowance, won't get phone calls or visits for a longer time, etc. Lots of the incentives available to Max inmates are not available at all to those in Restricted Housing.

There are, btw, no automatic upgrades. Any movement or change in privileges for every inmate is earned and approved by staff. The 30 day review I mentioned is for the prison to decide whether or not she continues to stay in restricted housing with it's extra restrictions or to be moved back to regular Max custody.

As for why she was placed there, the rules say Restricted Housing is for the more violent prison infractions or a serious mental health problem, per the prison's evaluation (not outside Dr). But I remember the prison Director (Troy Hayden interviewed) saying that she is going to be a high profile inmate. That's actually a specific designation in the prison that calls for added security. The rules say the there are overrides to the normal classification system where an inmate can be placed in more restrictive areas for need, and high profile is a override cause. Now if that is the reason for this, maybe she will be able to have more things like property/commissary & phones, but that is not addressed in the rules so I just don't know about that. But she will be very isolated from other inmates and have less movement outside her cell for a little change of scenery as compared to the general Max custody inmates. IMO, either she did have some kind of mental break or this is just the price she's going to pay for her "high profile" status - wonder if she thinks those interviews were worth it now?

Thank you for taking the time to explain this all so well. Do you think that it's possible that she can remain in this "restrictive" custody until her "fame" dies down? Makes sense to me. I mean, look how quickly things slowed down here on WS.

Is it just me or does she look high as a kite in that photo?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS. That's exactly what I have thought ever since seeing this photo. She is drugged up on something, sedated. Regardless, she looks awful and I hope someone with a smartphone shows her this terrible photo when they visit her (once visits are permitted). She's so vain that it will drive her crazy.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS. That's exactly what I have thought ever since seeing this photo. She is drugged up on something, sedated. Regardless, she looks awful and I hope someone with a smartphone shows her this terrible photo when they visit her (once visits are permitted). She's so vain that it will drive her crazy.

She may be on medication and could likely be sedated. She seemed quite agitated as her sentencing hearing progressed and I imagine that just got worse. But, sedated is the opposite of high. And medicated does not equal high even if it was not a sedative. IMO she looked higher than a kite in her first mug--the one where she decided it was appropriate to "smile and say cheese."

Her statement to the judge just shows how seriously messed up her judgment is. It's amazing to think that she could say Travis was conscious when she slit his throat and that "he was still attacking" her. She expects "us" to believe that a man who has been stabbed 28 times and shot in the head and is lying on the floor could possibly be a threat to her life. Such a threat, in fact, that rather than running away from him at that point (remember for all his "attacks," all she has is a cut finger), this completely able bodied woman was forced to decapitate him-you know, 'cause he was "still attacking" her.

She apparently has no ability to evaluate her statements in context with what the average reasonable person would find believable. That she could think it would sound plausible to state that a man in his condition could have presented any threat whatsoever to her life just goes to show how deluded she is. She thinks so highly of herself that she cannot imagine how crazy her statement would sound.

It really just boggles the rational mind.

I agree and I think that statement hurt her chances of an appeal. It also proved,IMO how cruel she is. Enjoy Perryville, murderer.

Well...posters have claimed they have respect for murderer Angela Simpson because she totally owns up to her killing and admits she's a dangerous offender.

But if the same respect could never be afforded to JA *IF* she had essentially done the same thing, then all that's left to understand is Arias represents something personal to the person who isn't a family member, wasn't a friend of the victim, and needs to put Arias in a special category due to their own needs. Now of course JA didn't do what Angela Simpson did, she didn't own up to her own deeds and admit to being evil, but I think it's an interesting question brought up on Twitter or wherever it originated.

I remember many people posting the reason they hated Arias to the extent they did (beyond the killing itself) is because she dragged her victim's name through the mud and 'assassinated his character' in court. Had she not done that...would people hate her less? Interesting question.

The most interesting thing of all (for me) is that Juan Martinez has gone on record that he doesn't hate this murderer, just hated her actions/killing. Juan gets it. He gets it on a level that shows how brilliant and emotionally grounded he is. He doesn't waste his energy, but focuses it exactly where it needs to be, on obtaining justice through legal means and being a superlative advocate for the citizens of his county.

If you can zoom in to make it readable, this will give you an idea of the differences in Max Custody and Restricted Housing @ Lumley. It's pretty stark in Restricted:
View attachment 73530
The chart looks like it may come from the same Arizonia Dept of Corrections memorandum I have been reading, and I agree it can be quite confusing to interpret. I have a question. No matter why she is there, PC, mental health, or behavior will she be classified as RSHP for a minimum of 120 days?
Sorry, I don't have the link. It comes up as a download on my tablet. I wish I could link It, because it is so informative on how the whole process works.

Her statement to the judge just shows how seriously messed up her judgment is. It's amazing to think that she could say Travis was conscious when she slit his throat and that "he was still attacking" her. She expects "us" to believe that a man who has been stabbed 28 times and shot in the head and is lying on the floor could possibly be a threat to her life. Such a threat, in fact, that rather than running away from him at that point (remember for all his "attacks," all she has is a cut finger), this completely able bodied woman was forced to decapitate him-you know, 'cause he was "still attacking" her.

She apparently has no ability to evaluate her statements in context with what the average reasonable person would find believable. That she could think it would sound plausible to state that a man in his condition could have presented any threat whatsoever to her life just goes to show how deluded she is. She thinks so highly of herself that she cannot imagine how crazy her statement would sound.

It really just boggles the rational mind.

She watched too many Hollywood horror films and thought people would believe TA was Michael Myers or Jason and just wouldn't die. This after she re-created the Psycho shower scene. Then she said the same thing Norman Bates said "I wouldn't hurt a spider". She likes to mimic, that's for sure.

The chart looks like it may come from the same Arizonia Dept of Corrections memorandum I have been reading, and I agree it can be quite confusing to interpret. I have a question. No matter why she is there, PC, mental health, or behavior will she be classified as RSHP for a minimum of 120 days?
Sorry, I don't have the link. It comes up as a download on my tablet. I wish I could link It, because it is so informative on how the whole process works.

It is the chart from the Director's memo. Yes, as I read it, once placed in Restricted, the program has to be completed before they can be moved back into gen'l Max custody. At best, that would be 120days with absolutely no infractions - not even a misdemeanor - in the first 90 days.

eta: the Director's memo can be read @ https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/policies/DI/DI 326.pdf

I'm in confusion about her vicious statement about TA being conscious during the throat slit. She said she would have testified to this if she could have testified secretly, so why would this stop any appeals? I know it's a crock, and was said only to torture his family, but I've seen many posts on other venues that suggested she shot herself in the foot on future appeals.

BBM. Whatever JA's motive, I took her statement (regarding the throat-slitting) to imply that she had lied the whole time she was on the stand in Trial #1. How could she appeal if she lied?

If you can zoom in to make it readable, this will give you an idea of the differences in Max Custody and Restricted Housing @ Lumley. It's pretty stark in Restricted:
View attachment 73530

This is very helpful, LinTX.

1. Don't you just love how she has to sign a "Memo of Expectations" during Orientation? How many hissy fits would this have involved?
2. One item that inmates have to sign for is a set of regulations: https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/policies/700/0704.pdf
3. ^^^^^ Has quite a focus on hair. In addition to everything else, if the PV chameleon wants a change of hairdo, she has to get warden's approval and can only do it once in 6 mos. How many hissy fits is this going to involve?
4. JA is not going to be able to cover her cell windows. This means no shade! Wawawa.....If her cell is windowed westward, this is gonna be bake and shake....
5. She gets her laundry done for her....No fair!
6. In Step 1 Max, inmates have to demonstrate medication compliance. I doubt that JA has ever had medication compliance. (This is what was so genius about JSS asking her if she was on medication when she refused to allocute. If she was on medication, she was potentially not of sound mind; if she wasn't on medication, she was out of compliance.) I doubt if JA has ever been in medication compliance.
7. Respectful behavior required: this is gonna be interesting.
8. There are mandatory showers for Jodi's category of inmate.
9. Only $10 per week in commissary and that's only for hygiene and stationary. No food: warden must have been consulting with Sheriff Joe.
10. Sounds like JA is stuck in restrictive housing if she has any infractions.
11. From what I understand, "isolation" means stuff like "all hallways are cleared before this inmate is taken out of the cell (e.g. to shower)". In other words, there's no interaction of any kind with other inmates.

It sounds as though, once assigned to Restrictive Housing, inmate would have to work her way through all the steps before getting the designation changed to Max? That'll be many months.....

Also, what kind of "discipline" can you get if you're already in Restrictive Housing?

She may be medicated but, more than anything she looks very angry. JMO

She's livid that she has to wear a ponytail. She doesn't look drugged to me: I believe that's the way her eyes look even without medication.

It is the chart from the Director's memo. Yes, as I read it, once placed in Restricted, the program has to be completed before they can be moved back into gen'l Max custody. At best, that would be 120days with absolutely no infractions - not even a misdemeanor - in the first 90 days.

eta: the Director's memo can be read @ https://corrections.az.gov/sites/default/files/policies/DI/DI 326.pdf

How can they incur infractions if they are in solitary all day?

It does look as though if there were a mental health reason for being in restrictive housing, Jodi would have been assigned elsewhere than Lumley. There evidently is a specialized unit (maybe at a different location)?

I agree she doesn't look drugged. She looks angry and maybe a little sad. She couldn't manipulate the judge for LWP. I really think in her warped mind she thought she would eventually get out.

Terminology question: Is Max considered "general population"? Certain steps in Max? Related question: What exactly does "general population" mean?

There are many comments that express this idea, so I'm not quoting any of them, but the simple fact of the matter is that JSS was a complete joke throughout both trials.

I think even Nurmi couldn't believe all the grasping at straws he was allowed to get away with, and once he and JA saw what worked, they kept trying for more, and were granted it EVERY. SINGLE. FREAKING. TIME. Even down to the last moment when they asked for over 30 days until sentencing.

And as that new book shows (can't remember the title but it breaks down the direct testimony), so much of it was irrelevant and never talked about the actual crime for days. She was allowed to ramble. This trial took several years, when other, similarly complicated trials were over in a few weeks start to finish. The jurors showed up late, waited for 15 minutes, then told to go home until next week. Then back for a day and a half, then told 2 weeks from today. None of this would have been unusual or unreasonable if JSS had required them to move along, or to stop with the delays. The attys are used to this and this judge did not control her court. Sidebar after sidebar after sidebar, objectionmweapproach??

Even to the very end of the LAST day, where Juan asked to go AFTER the killer, but he still had to go first, and thereby gave the killer one last knife twist to counter Juan's closing remarks.

I'm glad she gave the right sentence, but she effed up royally up till that time.

:seeya:

1st BBM: I totally agree !

2nd BBM: Again, I agree ...
BUT I do believe that JSS gave the "right sentence" :thud: because "someone in authority" gave her a good talking to ... MOO !

Also, I think this "someone in authority" told JSS HOW TO handle JA's sentencing, what to say, etc., because the Sentencing Hearing went more smoothly [than I expected] in comparison as to HOW JSS handled her courtroom, etc. in the past ... MOO !

JSS was like a different judge at the Sentencing Hearing -- NOT the JSS we had seen for over 2+ years ... and I really do believe that someone schooled JSS on how to handle JA's sentencing so as to NOT make JSS look as foolish as she had in the past -- especially when she CLOSED the courtroom for a murderer to testify :gaah: ... MOO !

:couch: And please ...

NO :tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato::tomato:

I agree she doesn't look drugged. She looks angry and maybe a little sad. She couldn't manipulate the judge for LWP. I really think in her warped mind she thought she would eventually get out.

I really believe in 281129 mind she thinks she will have conviction overturned and will be released.

How can they incur infractions if they are in solitary all day?

I believe if they were, e.g. disrespectful to staff, wouldn't tidy up their cell, wouldn't take a shower, wouldn't do their "programs".

In Step 1, Restrictive Housing, the "program" is "Self Control, self study". It's in the Director's memo LinTX cites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove