DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also Ramsey county Jane Doe (Minnesota) and Gwinnett County John Doe 2003 (Georgia) both have very good highest matches. They have a good chance to be identified by now.
I'm hopeful for more Georgia counties to pick up using the DDP to help identify victims, as well as Hennepin County in Minnesota. Hennepin County has at least a dozen vague cases with so little information that it doesn't even list the date of discovery, only the year.

Just wondering why DDP did not choose Kelly Lawson’s reconstruction of Gwinnett County John Doe to post on their website, I think Lawson's reconstructions are amazing!
View attachment 332090
My best guess as to why they chose that one is it might be closer to how he looked? Since both reconstructions seem vastly different.

My best guess as to why they chose that one is it might be closer to how he looked? Since both reconstructions seem vastly different.
I think they still don’t know how he looked, they know it only after the identification.

New identification! According to the DDP pinned post Gwinnett County John Doe 2003 has been identified, I hope that the announcement is coming soon! By the way, he has Kelly Lawson’s reconstruction on the DDP website. Marsha Lawson also made a reconstruction of him:

A446016F-8C82-4365-94FB-58CC336DDAE2.jpeg EFAB3492-04CE-4ABE-8962-FCD4FAEB1B39.jpeg

Last edited:
Gwinnett County John Doe 2003 was identified as Gerard Rexrode, who was around 70 years old when he was found

The family is planning on holding a celebration of life, I hope they release a photo of him then.

Also the Gwinnet County ME said that they plan on having the DDP help identify all of their cases, there's two others on NamUs (technically 3 but two are determined to be the same person).

Gwinnett County John Doe (1972)
Gwinnett County John Doe (2009)

From the DDP website, he was identified within a week after his profile was uploaded to Gedmatch:

Gwinnett Co John Doe 2003 - DNA Doe Project Cases

In May, 2021, Pathologist Dr. Carol Terry of the Gwinnett County Medical Examiner’s office reached out to the DNA Doe Project for help identifying the remains that had been unidentified since 2003. A DNA sample was submitted to laboratory analysis and a profile was created and uploaded to GEDmatch, a public database. In November, genealogy work began on the case and the DNA Doe Project’s volunteer investigative genetic genealogists were able to use DNA matches to identify Gordon Rexrode as the likely candidate within a week.

“The Gwinnett County John Doe case was particularly interesting because we actually had some pretty strong numbers to work with,” DNA Doe Project Team Co-Leader Trish Hurtibise shared. Co-Leader Eric Hendershott added, “We quickly narrowed our search down to a particular county in West Virginia and discovered a number of common ancestors. The case also involved some endogamy, which was a bit intimidating at first.”

Kelly Lawson's reconstructions are not only amazing but she's done reconstructions for some really obscure cases that didn't even have a NamUs profile when I first discovered them. This one still doesn't have a NamUs page:
Grady County John Doe (1983)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member