DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no Identifinders thread, so I just post it here, it looks like they took a new case in Mississippi in Harrison County, they call her “Greek” Jane Doe as she has Greek ancestry, interestingly it was published in Greek Porter. I guess Greek genealogy can be tough!

The DDP also has one Greek Doe - St Tammany John Doe, Louisiana. I hope both cases will be solved soon, I want to believe there are no unsolvable cases and they all can be solved with time.
Greek "Jane Doe" Victim in Mississippi Cold Case

There is no Identifinders thread, so I just post it here, it looks like they took a new case in Mississippi in Harrison County, they call her “Greek” Jane Doe as she has Greek ancestry, interestingly it was published in Greek Porter. I guess Greek genealogy can be tough!

The DDP also has one Greek Doe - St Tammany John Doe, Louisiana. I hope both cases will be solved soon, I want to believe there are no unsolvable cases and they all can be solved with time.
Greek "Jane Doe" Victim in Mississippi Cold Case
Oh I misread this, I thought the DDP took on this case, but regardless that's still interesting as Mississippi seems to really like Othram.

Are you working on more cases from Mississippi right now? I can only find one - a boy from Anguilla, Mississippi you are working on right now.
Yes, several. It is a long term effort. You should expect to see many case solve announcements from Mississippi, in the coming weeks.

Benton County Jane Doe got a new reconstruction to replace the rough sketch:

BentonCoJaneDoe1976-2_web.jpg

NEW IDENTIFICATION! Flathead John Doe (Marion County, Montana) has been identified
https://www.kpax.com/news/local-new...rom-2003-flathead-county-cold-case-identified

The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office – in conjunction with the nonprofit DNA Doe Project -- has positively identified the man as Steven Edward Gooch of Washington.

The DNA Doe Project — a nonprofit made up of volunteers who work with law enforcement agencies to provide investigative genetic genealogy to solve cases of unidentified remains — has been working on the case for about three years.

Flathead County Sheriff Brian Heino said, “Last month they located several individuals who they believed could possibly be a relative of the unidentified male."

The Sheriff’s Office contacted one of the people who said his son had left the area of Bothell, Washington, in 1995, and the family had not heard from him since
The DNA Doe Project compared this man’s DNA profile with the unidentified male’s DNA profile and confirmed that Doe was in fact the son of this man.

When Steven Gooch’s family last heard from him in 1995, he was 29 years old. According to his family, he was in San Diego and was possibly headed to Las Vegas. The family reported him missing in 1996 after not hearing from him again.

“Our sincere condolences go out to the family during this time, and we hope that this identification will help bring closure to them. We also hope to be able to provide more answers about the last days of Steven Gooch’s life,” Sheriff Heino said.

"We would like to acknowledge and thank the volunteers at the DNA Doe Project for the countless hours they worked to make this identification,” Sheriff Heino concluded.

Anyone with information that could be helpful to the investigation is asked to contact the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office at 406-758-5600 or email tips@flathead.mt.gov

Last edited:
NEW IDENTIFICATION! Flathead John Doe (Marion County, Montana) has been identified
https://www.kpax.com/news/local-new...rom-2003-flathead-county-cold-case-identified

The Flathead County Sheriff’s Office – in conjunction with the nonprofit DNA Doe Project -- has positively identified the man as Steven Edward Gooch of Washington.

The DNA Doe Project — a nonprofit made up of volunteers who work with law enforcement agencies to provide investigative genetic genealogy to solve cases of unidentified remains — has been working on the case for about three years.

Flathead County Sheriff Brian Heino said, “Last month they located several individuals who they believed could possibly be a relative of the unidentified male."

The Sheriff’s Office contacted one of the people who said his son had left the area of Bothell, Washington, in 1995, and the family had not heard from him since
The DNA Doe Project compared this man’s DNA profile with the unidentified male’s DNA profile and confirmed that Doe was in fact the son of this man.

When Steven Gooch’s family last heard from him in 1995, he was 29 years old. According to his family, he was in San Diego and was possibly headed to Las Vegas. The family reported him missing in 1996 after not hearing from him again.

“Our sincere condolences go out to the family during this time, and we hope that this identification will help bring closure to them. We also hope to be able to provide more answers about the last days of Steven Gooch’s life,” Sheriff Heino said.

"We would like to acknowledge and thank the volunteers at the DNA Doe Project for the countless hours they worked to make this identification,” Sheriff Heino concluded.

Anyone with information that could be helpful to the investigation is asked to contact the Flathead County Sheriff’s Office at 406-758-5600 or email tips@flathead.mt.gov
Great! That's an older case of theirs.

The unidentified wiki has uploaded a picture of Gordon Rexrode (Gwinnett County John Doe 2003). I don't know where it comes from, but apparently this is him. Rest in peace, Gordon.

I must say, minus the hair, it looks like they did a good job on the recreation. Nose and ears look quite close.

Attachments

• Rexrode.jpg
    Rexrode.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Great! That's an older case of theirs.
I see similarities in his identification to Frank Little identification (Twinsburg County John Doe), both are older DDP cases (from 2019-2020) and in both cases the DDP provided the names of Doe’s potential relatives recently. It was mentioned in one of the articles that DDP provided the names of potential Gooch’s relatives “last month”. I am wondering if these cases affect the DDP identification rate, I read that it was around 65%, but these cases prove that it can be higher as in some cases Does can be identified later (in these cases the research took more than a year)

Last edited:
I see similarities in his identification to Frank Little identification (Twinsburg County John Doe), both are older DDP cases (from 2019-2020) and in both cases the DDP provided the names of Doe’s potential relatives recently. It was mentioned in one of the articles that DDP provided the names of potential Gooch’s relatives “last month”. I am wondering if these cases affect the DDP identification rate, I read that it was around 65%, but these cases prove that it can be higher as in some cases Does can be identified later (in these cases the research took more than a year)
I've always wondered how this makes the DDP look to some investigating agencies that don't know much about genealogy, if they may think that they could do a better job when an identification takes awhile, even though there's no real ontrol of that.

I've always wondered how this makes the DDP look to some investigating agencies that don't know much about genealogy, if they may think that they could do a better job when an identification takes awhile, even though there's no real ontrol of that.
There is a long tail for genealogy investigations and also for the laboratory work necessary to produce profiles. Estimates of success rates should be viewed as the lower bound for success.

Can you view the dna cM a doe shares with others? Sorry I don’t have much experience with this but it’s very interesting.

This article about Montana "Cliff" John Doe aka Steven Gooch has a few interesting tidbits:

Remains found in 2003 in Montana identified as missing Bothell man | HeraldNet.com

'Many times, volunteers identify long-deceased John Does but find there’s no one still alive who really cares. Gooch’s father still needed closure, and that made this case all the more gratifying, Foreman said.'

'It took the DNA Doe Project more than three years to crack the case, making it one of the nonprofit’s longest-running. **Their average is one or two months**'

This article about Montana "Cliff" John Doe aka Steven Gooch has a few interesting tidbits:

Remains found in 2003 in Montana identified as missing Bothell man | HeraldNet.com

'Many times, volunteers identify long-deceased John Does but find there’s no one still alive who really cares. Gooch’s father still needed closure, and that made this case all the more gratifying, Foreman said.'

'It took the DNA Doe Project more than three years to crack the case, making it one of the nonprofit’s longest-running. **Their average is one or two months**'
I think from the last cases, there were Dawn Plonsky (akaKentucky Jane Doe) and Frank Little (aka Twinsburg John Doe) who were identified after a couple of years of the genealogical research. I wonder if there are other difficult cases we still don’t know about, where Does were identified after years of research. I hope Ventura County Jane Doe is one of these cases, as they found out so much about her (the father of her baby was identified)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GowBuj