DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think from the last cases, there were Dawn Plonsky (akaKentucky Jane Doe) and Frank Little (aka Twinsburg John Doe) who were identified after a couple of years of the genealogical research. I wonder if there are other difficult cases we still don’t know about, where Does were identified after years of research. I hope Ventura County Jane Doe is one of these cases, as they found out so much about her (the father of her baby was identified)
Likewise with Apache Junction Jane Doe

Between Ventura, Apache and Kings County, I am guessing one of those has to be the oldest active case for DDP. I mean in terms of the length of time they have been working on it.
I think Kings and Apache were added the same day with Ventura (maybe with Chattanooga?) a few days after, there should be a date on the bottom of when the case was added to the site

Their website has a mechanic that lists all the cases chronologically so new cases bump down the older cases. All the cases have dates of when they were first posted. Someone complained on Facebook that a more recent identification wasn't featured first on the website and that recent identification was an older case so an older identification that was a more recent case for them was bumped up and someone from the project commented that it's a mechanic of the website that they can't change. To illustrate, check their success stories section on the website. Twinsburg John Doe was announced very recently but the Sumter County Does are above him even though they were announced two years ago. The other difference is that Twinsburg John Doe was posted in June 2019 while the Sumter County Does were posted in July 2019. The cases on the very top are from Gwinnett County, Georgia, both very recent postings. The oldest cases seem to be Kings County Jane Doe from California and Apache Junction Jane Doe, both posted on the same day.

Their website has a mechanic that lists all the cases chronologically so new cases bump down the older cases. All the cases have dates of when they were first posted. Someone complained on Facebook that a more recent identification wasn't featured first on the website and that recent identification was an older case so an older identification that was a more recent case for them was bumped up and someone from the project commented that it's a mechanic of the website that they can't change. To illustrate, check their success stories section on the website. Twinsburg John Doe was announced very recently but the Sumter County Does are above him even though they were announced two years ago. The other difference is that Twinsburg John Doe was posted in June 2019 while the Sumter County Does were posted in July 2019. The cases on the very top are from Gwinnett County, Georgia, both very recent postings. The oldest cases seem to be Kings County Jane Doe from California and Apache Junction Jane Doe, both posted on the same day.
Yes and I think Julie Doe is one of these oldest cases: she was a long time in sequencing, so actually her research started in 2020, not 2018-2019, but I find the list of cases in chronological order logical

No major updates on the spreadsheet, for a few months there are no new highest matches, hope it does not mean there are no new identification! Probably there are a lot of other new workable matches

Last edited:
I think the DDP made a pre-emptive tweet about Trinity Bellwoods JD being identified, since I can’t find it now

Woman found dead in Toronto’s Trinity Bellwoods Park in 2020 identified

…In September 2021, a sample of the woman’s DNA was submitted to the DNA Doe Project, a non-profit organization whose mission is to identify deceased persons…
Three months later, the DNA Doe Project contacted Toronto police with a possible identification and the family of the woman was reached. The ID was confirmed through dental records.

“When our volunteer investigative genetic genealogists began work on the family tree for this woman they found a number of good connections in the database. In less than a week, they had zeroed in on her identity,” DNA Doe Team Leader C. Lauritsen said in a statement.

“The search to find her name was greatly aided by family genealogical projects and having that information significantly enhanced our ability to identify her.”

The woman’s family is requesting privacy, police said, and do not want their loved one identified publicly.

Genetic genealogy helps Toronto police ID woman found dead in Trinity Bellwoods Park

“Each case takes six to eight months … and it’s not always 100 per cent guaranteed if they can identify a person,” he said, adding Toronto police have a list of 59 unknown deceased individuals they want to identify. In many cases, DNA is readily available, Smith noted

He said the success of this latest investigation has given police hope they’ll be able to tackle this backlog in a timely way.

Interestingly according to the DDP pinned post, they have 3 new cases, 2 of them are already in Active research:

1. Saginaw County John Doe 1973 (Michigan)
2. Bayonne Jane Doe 2007 - their first case from New Jersey
3. Metson Lake John Doe 2021
Metson Lake is around San Francisco, so maybe that city is starting to look into genealogy. Also interesting that New Jersey is hopping on finally, they have a ton of cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay