DNA Doe Project - General Discussion #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OMG, I'm so sorry. Grad school is totally rotting my brain. Thanks for the link!
No worries. Even I was confused for a moment. Major deja vu. Had to scroll back up the thread to check, yes, we'd done this all before. I've been watching Gannon's trial for about a month and am probably getting as little sleep as you are. Always happy to find a link to a thread if you need one. <3

Doesn't look like either of these Does have a thread, but I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong. There are no hits on a search of WS for Little Lost Seabrook's NamUs number, and I've tried searching for Pond Jane Doe from Granite State using the little we know, but the details are so scant I might have missed a thread if it exists. It's very difficult when there is no NamUs number or precise location to find a thread. New Hampshire and 2019 don't come up with anything relevant, though, so I think it's probable she does not have a thread here on Websleuths.

I created a thread for a child Doe, it is a very sad stories, who sells human skulls and why?

Thread
There is a trade in human remains. Many of these will be medical specimens, from cadavers of people who donated their remains. There are, of course, remains where the provenance is uncertain, or downright dodgy. Some of these will be ancient remains, or remains uncovered by historical burials being disturbed. But there are always a percentage where the chances are the remains belong to a missing or murdered person whose remains were just stumbled across, say, in the woods. A person who is not a forensic anthropologist could easily mistake skeletal remains as being 'ancient' when they could only be months to years old. They take a skull they find home, thinking it's spooky and funny, or a scientific curiosity, not realising it belongs to a murder victim from only two years ago.

It's the reason ANY suspected human remains should immediately be reported to police and disturbed as little as possible.

(And even ancient remains, it should go without saying, should be treated with the same respect as a modern Doe. Over in the US, I imagine there will be tribal organisations who take custodianship of ancient remains, out here in Australia, we have similar processes with our indigenous peoples. Gone are the days when a person can just put a skull of unknown provenance on their mantel and tell people that it's fine because it's just that of an indigenous person. Thank goodness.)

MOO

There is a trade in human remains. Many of these will be medical specimens, from cadavers of people who donated their remains. There are, of course, remains where the provenance is uncertain, or downright dodgy. Some of these will be ancient remains, or remains uncovered by historical burials being disturbed. But there are always a percentage where the chances are the remains belong to a missing or murdered person whose remains were just stumbled across, say, in the woods. A person who is not a forensic anthropologist could easily mistake skeletal remains as being 'ancient' when they could only be months to years old. They take a skull they find home, thinking it's spooky and funny, or a scientific curiosity, not realising it belongs to a murder victim from only two years ago.

It's the reason ANY suspected human remains should immediately be reported to police and disturbed as little as possible.

(And even ancient remains, it should go without saying, should be treated with the same respect as a modern Doe. Over in the US, I imagine there will be tribal organisations who take custodianship of ancient remains, out here in Australia, we have similar processes with our indigenous peoples. Gone are the days when a person can just put a skull of unknown provenance on their mantel and tell people that it's fine because it's just that of an indigenous person. Thank goodness.)

MOO
Off topic a bit but I am still a bit disturbed that Disney has a real human skull on their Pirates of the Caribbean ride. It’s attached to the headboard of the bed in the bedroom scene. Apparently the ride used to have even more human skulls and full skeletons. It is rumored that they were originally donated for medical, but Disney ended up buying them from UCLA for props on the ride.

In Australia, He Was a ‘Great Father.’ Secretly, He Was an Escaped Convict.​

New DNA evidence helped confirm that a man who went by John Damon and died in Australia in 2010 was actually William Leslie Arnold, a convicted killer and escaped inmate from Nebraska.

I looked and couldn't find this so hopefully it hasn't been previously posted.

They have also added a map of all the DDP cases. It is really nice and complete! I really like it! Such a good job!
I have noticed that Coll victim and Alachua County John Doe are on the map as pending cases.
I am also wondering about Franklin County John Doe from Ohio who is listed as pending, but his Namus profile was actually removed, I am wondering if the law enforcement identified him by other means, or his Namus was removed by mistake

They have also added a map of all the DDP cases. It is really nice and complete! I really like it! Such a good job!
I have noticed that Coll victim and Alachua County John Doe are on the map as pending cases.
I am also wondering about Franklin County John Doe from Ohio who is listed as pending, but his Namus profile was actually removed, I am wondering if the law enforcement identified him by other means, or his Namus was removed by mistake

Very nice. Thank you for posting.

I see a few new cases, or at least unfamiliar ones, “Leo Jane Doe” from Tennessee, 2 does from Frisco, Texas, and “Pacific County Child Doe” from Washington
Wow, I can’t see these cases.

1.I thought Leo Jane Doe was somebody’s else case. The DDP and the Fall Line Podcast created an episode dedicated to Leo Jane Doe.

2.There are just 2 unidentified individuals in Frisco, Collin County, Texas.

One of the cases is Doe whose foot was found on the construction site in Frisno
https:///wiki/Frisco_John_Doe_(2007)

https:///wiki/Frisco_John_Doe_(1988)

Pacific County Washington has just one case in Namus, a partial skull found by the citizen in 1980. According to Namus the skull belobged to an adolesent.

Wow, I can’t see these cases.

1.I thought Leo Jane Doe was somebody’s else case. The DDP and the Fall Line Podcast created an episode dedicated to Leo Jane Doe.

2.There are just 2 unidentified individuals in Frisco, Collin County, Texas.

One of the cases is Doe whose foot was found on the construction site in Frisno

Pacific County Washington has just one case in Namus, a partial skull found by the citizen in 1980. According to Namus the skull belobged to an adolesent.
The NamUs numbers are on the spreadsheet, the Leo Jane doe case isn’t that woman found in Nashville

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974
Back