Do you feel bad for Casey because of how she was brought up?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I think I'm kind of the exception here. I do believe that how children are parented is hugely significant in how they develop psychologically. It's also true that many children are able to turn out okay despite not very good parenting, but some, for whatever reason (inborn sensitivities, etc.) are more profoundly affected than others. I don't think that people are born sociopaths or psychopaths, I think they become that way because of interactions between their genetic make up and how they are parented. Just my opinion, but based on a lot of reading.

I feel sorry for Casey because she is not capable of feeling the emotions that I think are the best parts of life: love for others. She may have faked being a "good mother" well enough to fool her peers, but she didn't love Caylee. For me, the love I feel for my children (and now grandchildren) has been incredibly profound and enriching. She didn't love her boyfriends - even while she was working on moving in with Tony she was screwing around with other men and keeping some back-up guys in place. And she obviously didn't love her parents. Think how sad your life would be if you didn't love the people you love. She probably doesn't know what she's missing, but I think there is a deep emptiness inside her.

I believe that inability to love and care for others came from the way she was parented. You don't have to be abusive to raise a child who is unable to attach to others. People here talk a lot about Casey being spoiled, but I actually suspect that her life started out rather differently. We can see how controlling Cindy is, and how willing she is to lie. I think Casey's early childhood (the time of life when personality is shaped) was one of strict control, and I think Casey learned that she was only loved or wanted when she was doing exactly what Cindy wanted her to. I also suspect she saw Cindy lying and was lied to by Cindy and realized she could not trust her. That kind of experience can make a child shut down from attaching to anyone, because it is too painful.

I think it was only when Casey got older and Cindy saw the threat of the "perfect-family" image being shattered that they began to cover up her stories and avoid confrontation. This happens a lot when little kids have been over-controlled; once they get into their teen years and parents can't control them anymore the way they once did, the roles almost reverse.

So yes, I feel sorry for her. I don't believe she was born this way, and I don't think she chose to be the kind of person she is. I don't think any of us do - some of us are able to overcome difficult childhoods but some are crushed by them. And having said all that, I think it is a terrible and appalling thing that she did to Caylee; I believe she is guilty of murder.

I definitely do. All this aside, I think she was a gorgeous, intelligent, personable, young woman who had , just as Caylee had, a potentially good life ahead of her.
Like it or not, we are all products of our environment. Some of us are lucky enough to "get over it" and develop ourselves as individuals but most of us live the life we've known.
Without analyzing everything, just from what we've seen, all this girl knew was to lie and live a fantasy life. I'm sure behind closed doors she was put down and made to feel like "less than" so that CA might live HER perfect world.
Again JMOO...
ETA: I also think precious Caylee's death was an accident caused by anger. Something else ICA was taught. I'm in no way defending her. I want her to get the worst punishment, but i think some of us can not escape our dysfunctionally abusive upbringings and I kinda feel bad for her...

I have to respectfully disagree. It's just a different perception, but I get the feeling everyone walked on eggshells around ICA. I think it got worse after Caylee was born. It does not come across to me at all that ICA was put down or made to feel like "less than" behind closed doors. I think the A's spent alot of time trying not to set her off.

I think Cindy has alot of guilt. The one time she really confronts her (over her stealing from her grandmother...again) and she lets her have it...well, she never sees Caylee again. She was afraid of that all along.

Not even a little bit! Her mom and dad gave her everything. They paid for food, diapers, clothes for both ICA and Caylee. She had a car that she obviously didn't pay for. I think all of us know people who were beaten by alcoholic, drug users and STILL don't kill their children. If anything I feel sorry for her whole family. ICA has trashed so many life's that will never be the same!

No I do not feel sorry for her.

I feel she was born this way. Yes the family is dysfunctional.

I agree that we should never lay hands on another, but on the other hand she makes me want to choke her and I did not have to live with her for 22+ years.

I do feel CA and GA should have gotten her into therapy and psychiatric care as an adolescent or teen, but unfortunately I am not sure how much it would have helped. She is a master liar and manipulator and possibly could have controlled her mental health professionals.

NO NO NO

You are responsible for your life. You can't keep blaming somebody else for your dysfunction. Life is really about moving on.
- Oprah Winfrey

THERE IT IS. THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR WHAT SHE DID!

We don't know enough about the family behind closed doors to know if Casey was "abused" or not. If she was physically, verbally, and/or sexually abused growing up, perhaps that could explain some of her behavior. Some people are able to rise above a tough childhood and some are not. But we just don't have proof that abuse per se occurred. I'll bet there were fights in the home but don't know that. However, Casey doesn't appear to be delusional or so out of touch with reality doesn't know right from wrong. If she were, surely the defense would have been able to bring out psychiatric exams to prove it. IMO, without evidence that she just didn't know what she was doing, she shouldn't get a pass for "being abused."

I'm also not sure whether or not to believe the claim that Cindy choked Casey on that last fateful evening. Choked, really? I could even see her slapping or hitting Casey, but choking? I don't know, that seems more extreme than hitting, to me.

Question: Exactly how was she treated growing up? To me, this is the chicken or the egg argument - did the family dysfunction help spawn the narcissism/sociopathy or did the narcissism/sociopathy breed family dysfunction?

You and I think alike.

No. Simple as that.

I don't feel bad for ICA at all. She doesn't feel things the same way other people do and I suspect much of the dysfunction in the household is because of ICA and trying to overcompensate. I suspect the only thing the A's could have done to prevent this is to get custody of Caylee and I know they are kicking themselves. That's not an easy decision to make and not an easy thing to do, once you actually make the decision. And who knows if it would have changed anything anyway? IMO

Well, I think I'm kind of the exception here. I do believe that how children are parented is hugely significant in how they develop psychologically. It's also true that many children are able to turn out okay despite not very good parenting, but some, for whatever reason (inborn sensitivities, etc.) are more profoundly affected than others. I don't think that people are born sociopaths or psychopaths, I think they become that way because of interactions between their genetic make up and how they are parented. Just my opinion, but based on a lot of reading.

I feel sorry for Casey because she is not capable of feeling the emotions that I think are the best parts of life: love for others. She may have faked being a "good mother" well enough to fool her peers, but she didn't love Caylee. For me, the love I feel for my children (and now grandchildren) has been incredibly profound and enriching. She didn't love her boyfriends - even while she was working on moving in with Tony she was screwing around with other men and keeping some back-up guys in place. And she obviously didn't love her parents. Think how sad your life would be if you didn't love the people you love. She probably doesn't know what she's missing, but I think there is a deep emptiness inside her.

I believe that inability to love and care for others came from the way she was parented. You don't have to be abusive to raise a child who is unable to attach to others. People here talk a lot about Casey being spoiled, but I actually suspect that her life started out rather differently. We can see how controlling Cindy is, and how willing she is to lie. I think Casey's early childhood (the time of life when personality is shaped) was one of strict control, and I think Casey learned that she was only loved or wanted when she was doing exactly what Cindy wanted her to. I also suspect she saw Cindy lying and was lied to by Cindy and realized she could not trust her. That kind of experience can make a child shut down from attaching to anyone, because it is too painful.

I think it was only when Casey got older and Cindy saw the threat of the "perfect-family" image being shattered that they began to cover up her stories and avoid confrontation. This happens a lot when little kids have been over-controlled; once they get into their teen years and parents can't control them anymore the way they once did, the roles almost reverse.

So yes, I feel sorry for her. I don't believe she was born this way, and I don't think she chose to be the kind of person she is. I don't think any of us do - some of us are able to overcome difficult childhoods but some are crushed by them. And having said all that, I think it is a terrible and appalling thing that she did to Caylee; I believe she is guilty of murder.

Very well said, thank u. Numerous studies have been done in this area and the "formative" years are just that. I can totally understand why people do not feel badly for her, but sometimes i have a moment of weakness and feel badly that she may have had a miserable childhood and had no clue how to love precious Caylee.

I have to respectfully disagree. It's just a different perception, but I get the feeling everyone walked on eggshells around ICA. I think it got worse after Caylee was born. It does not come across to me at all that ICA was put down or made to feel like "less than" behind closed doors. I think the A's spent alot of time trying not to set her off.

I think Cindy has alot of guilt. The one time she really confronts her (over her stealing from her grandmother...again) and she lets her have it...well, she never sees Caylee again. She was afraid of that all along.

Agree

Nope, nada, zilch. Don't feel sorry for her growing up like she did.IMO

The A's had to "walk on eggshells" because KC was the custodial parent. That is what is so frightening about how they lived. As a sidenote, that is why many people don't get divorced--they don't want to have to share custody with someone they fear might endanger their child, for example.

By all accounts Jackie Peterson was a doting mother and look where her "golden boy" lives now: San Quentin, CA (Death Row)

Hmmm... I don't know. I think I felt a little bad for her, before I saw her behaviour in court. Her actions and demeanor in court were very off-putting, to me. I grew up extremely poor, raised by a mentally ill and abusive mother -- from that perspective, I see ICA as a spoiled rotten brat. I'm sorry, but that's just my opinion.

I don't believe Casey had a bad childhood. I think she is simply a bad seed. Some people are just born without empathy and feeling. In my opinion, Casey is one of them.

Uh well let me see.....hmmmm. No No I do NOT.
She still had free will and many folks have endured far worse than a magical thinking family of pathological liars without killing toddlers because they were intererfering with their voluntary "Shot Girl" honorary supervisor/fashion advisor (tie-it-in-a-knot-till-it-is-tight) duties.
Yuck. Psychobabble aside- they all need to be quarantineed. Neutered, er, neutralized or something.
Cindy and George and Lee need help.
MOO

I would love to hear a lengthy interview with Jesse Grund and his family--that is, after there is no fear that the DT will pounce on them. I don't think I've read anywhere the complete story.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back