Do you like the new format for WS?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I'm not sleeping either :wink:...

I found a weird glitch...when I click "Settings" then "View All Subscribed Threads" (like I do 100 times a day), the posts are now ordered first to last NOT last to first. So now I have to go to the last page to see the most recent posts. Would you be so kind as to change that back to how it used to be?

Also, the "Quick Links" tab isn't working from my phone (iPhone w/ Safari).

General feedback:
Mostly positive - an improvement on some fronts, some things that will take a bit getting used to and a few things that jar:

Specifically,
-I find the general readability of posts improved. The font is OK, the absence of the right-hand-side ad banner is a blessing and the page layout is clear. My main issue with readability is the brightness of the background. As WS is my insomnia back-up plan, the brightness is very jarring.
-The depth of the top banners on each and every page is now quite annoying because now, on most of my devices, I am unsure if a page has loaded, or whether a link to a thread has worked as the ads and banners take up all the real estate at the top of each and every page. This means a scroll is necessary just to even ascertain that you are looking at a fresh page.
-The website generally seems to be more zippy with the changes, and I hope this stays even after the advertising and banners are reinstated after the re-work.
-The good news, is that I am a grumbler about most changes on favorite websites, but this change hasn't made frustrated at all. In fact my biggest WS problem is one that preexisted these changes...by far the most irksome feature for me is those moving avatars (GIFs) that some folk have. They're cute the first time you see them but then they just get annoying, like a moth has landed on your computer and you can see it flapping there out of the corner of your eye but can't do anything about it. Is this just me?

Thanks for providing this forum and trying to please as many posters as possible :)

<snipped for focus>

In fact my biggest WS problem is one that preexisted these changes...by far the most irksome feature for me is those moving avatars that some folk have. They're cute the first time you see them but then they just get annoying, like a moth has landed on your computer and you can see it flapping there out of the corner of your eye and not do anything about it. Is this just me?
BBM

Well, I WAS planning to figure out a way to make my avatar meerkat do a little pirouette, but I guess I'll scrap that idea! :D

Just kidding. It's not just you. I agree. There are a few moving avatars that I have to scroll by so they are just out of the way when I read the post. They drive me nuts and are migraine material. Being sensitive is often a curse!

But you could handle a reeeeally sloooow pirouette, couldn't you?
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 155
Quick links not working at all. Just too many annoying flashing ads at top which make me not want to read anymore. Can Quick links be restored please. A button away from annoying ads would be great.

Agree. The Avatars are annoying and bother me when reading serious posts. Why so large? That shouldn't the the focus of our screens. Thanks.

BBM

Well, I WAS planning to figure out a way to make my avatar meerkat do a little pirouette, but I guess I'll scrap that idea! :D

Just kidding. It's not just you. I agree. There are a few moving avatars that I have to scroll by so they are just out of the way when I read the post. They drive me nuts and are migraine material. Being sensitive is often a curse!

But you could handle a reeeeally sloooow pirouette, couldn't you?
attachment.php

Priceless! Yes, a very, very slowly pirouetting meercat could be acceptable :)
Mainly it's the the fast-flickering and zooming GIFs that feel like somebody is poking me in the eye and it's just so distracting from the content.
I have a sticky post-it on the side of my computer so I can cover them up and continue to read comfortably.
Reassured to hear there are others with the same problem...and that I wasn't 'that poster with issues' ;)

Lol yup. Altho like I said I'm on so many meds due to my Emphysema and tinnitus. I could be just sat watching TV
N BOP! I'm out like a light. But I won't nap for long. Freaky... &#128580;

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Lol Mama I have changed the way I view on here. So I thought it was me being a wally. I've now got to go from where I last posted or wherever someone posted on my comment. There could be as much as 50+ posts I've gotta read thru. Cuz I don't wanna seem to be rude by not replying. It is just me having a blonde moment. My Meds and yup.... me being a wally &#128526;

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

-The good news, is that I am a grumbler about most changes on favorite websites, but this change hasn't made frustrated at all. In fact my biggest WS problem is one that preexisted these changes...by far the most irksome feature for me is those moving avatars (GIFs) that some folk have. They're cute the first time you see them but then they just get annoying, like a moth has landed on your computer and you can see it flapping there out of the corner of your eye but can't do anything about it. Is this just me?

Thanks for providing this forum and trying to please as many posters as possible :)

Agree, wish they were not allowed. One new member has a very obnoxious flashing avatar, there is another with animation that a few people use. Years ago we could hit our stop button to stop the animation but now we can't. Some sigs are pretty obnoxious too.

I think everything looks Great now! Kudo's for the hard work!

About 3 AM I logged onto WS and the format was "almost" back to the old one. I smiled 'cause that big box, with all the cases someone thinks we should see, was gone. Then, later on in the morning, the box was back. Wazzup with that?

THANK YOU for making the changes to the format that you have already done. I appreciate the work done to accommodate the requests that people have made. I know you can't change everything to suit everyone's requests.

Are the "HOT" tags in red still showing up for anyone else? They were gone last night and now they're back again. I have logged out, cleared the cookies, and logged back in and they're still there.

The Quick Links doesn't work on any of my devices.

Hmm....topper back, grey gone, "Hot" still there but at least no addition of "...and Sexy."

Agree, wish they were not allowed. One new member has a very obnoxious flashing avatar, there is another with animation that a few people use. Years ago we could hit our stop button to stop the animation but now we can't. Some sigs are pretty obnoxious too.

This may be common knowledge, but just in case someone didn't know - you can hide signatures through your settings.

I've had them turned off for years. Some of them are informative so I feel bad about those, but I couldn't deal with wading through double-length threads anymore due to all the big sigs that were around at some point (and I guess still are).

This may be common knowledge, but just in case someone didn't know - you can hide signatures through your settings.
...sbm...
Oh thank you for this tip! That will be half the fight - sigs gone! :) I am loath to turn of the avatars though - just to escape the flashing GIFs. Some avatars have come to represent the faces of WS friends, even though, strangely enough, they are often the faces of missing people. It also helps with the scroll and roll when you detect a repeat offender ;)

Tricia glad to help! It looks better already! And thanks for the great site and hard work you both do. cheers.

Agree. The Avatars are annoying and bother me when reading serious posts. Why so large? That shouldn't the the focus of our screens. Thanks.

Do you mean that the signatures are large? The avatars in the upper left corner are all the same size. Or maybe you think they're too large.

If you mean signatures, I know what you mean about large ones. I just reduced the size of the photo in mine for that reason. If I could figure out how to format it so the printing is next to it rather than above and below, it would take up less room. I tried everything with no success. I'd appreciate any ideas. But I do want to keep Stephanie's case visible, so she is not forgotten. However, I'm all for smaller too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l