Do you like the new format for WS?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm

If I may comment on that, I'm not Lilibet, but for me it is not necessarily the actual size that's the problem, but the narrowness of the font (the letters being closer together). (Not being whiny, trying to be constructive).

I see what you mean and agree. :)

Oh my goodness the underline is gone!! Thank you!! It really looks so much nicer again.

:happydance::loveyou::tyou::yourock:

Hmmm ... On my desktop the only things I see underlined, besides member names, are the post numbers at the top, right of each post. Are you saying that EVERYTHING is underlined? Are you seeing that from a smart device?

I'm on an ipad, and nothing is underlined. Not a thing .. no names, no links and no page numbers. But I can't expand the print to a size that I can read because the sentences go right across the page.

BBM

Thanks so much, Tricia, for changing the color to true black. I may have a sharp eye for color, but I guess I'm blind because I don't see three lines in the upper right corner. Once I find them I will follow your directions. I'm on an iPad using Safari, but I don't see them on Chrome (thank you Tulessa) either. Would some dear member like to post a screen shot pointing out where the three lines are. And I'm sure dumb and dumber will kick in when I see them right in front of me! :doh:

I appreciate all the work you and Dave put into this change and into the tweaking we are begging you to do. :) I never noticed the font size before because I always spread my page to enlarge it. So I will believe you when you say it's bigger. Many thanks!

Here's what the three little lines look like on my machine using Chrome:

Screenshot 2016-04-06 at 9.18.14 PM.png

That gets you to a menu including "Settings" (the second to last in the list). Click "Settings". Here you can set your screen's zoom level (though not font sizes, per se.)

Screenshot 2016-04-06 at 9.28.45 PM.png

I'm on an ipad, and nothing is underlined. Not a thing .. no names, no links and no page numbers. But I can't expand the print to a size that I can read because the sentences go right across the page.

The underlining was visible on my iPad earlier, but it seems to have disappeared now. Yay! :)

Did you try increasing the font size the way Tricia described? I can't find the three lines she means.

Here's what they look like on my machine using Chrome:

attachment.php

That gets you to a menu including "Settings" (the second to last in the list). Click "Settings". Here you can set your screen's zoom level (though not font sizes, per se.)

attachment.php

Thanks so much Forager. I did find settings on Chrome by clicking on three dots, not lines as you show, but I'm not seeing what Tricia described in her post about increasing the size to 110%. I have to go out, so I will hope I can figure this out later. Perhaps it's different on an iPad.

The underlining was visible on my iPad earlier, but it seems to have disappeared now. Yay! :)

Did you try increasing the font size the way Tricia described? I can't find the three lines she means.
Lilibet, the 3 "lines" are 3 horizontal white stacked bars that are on the top far right corner of your browser window. Once I looked at the last post, I found them on my laptop. Once you find the Zoom, click on the + sign to increase the font to 110%.

Lilibet, the 3 "lines" are 3 horizontal white stacked bars that are on the top far right corner of your browser window. Once I looked at the last post, I found them on my laptop. Once you find the Zoom, click on the + sign to increase the font to 110%.

Thanks LinasK, but I don't see those lines on my iPad. There are three dots that don't take me where I want to go. :( I'll work on it later when I get home. Maybe an iPad user will have figured it out by then.

No you are not missing anything. The ads on the side of the page have been removed for members. :)

Bravo for removing the ads for members! It's wonderful for us to get that part of our screens back for useful stuff, and I'm guessing that Websleuths had to give up some revenue to do it. Thank you!

Dave is continuing to work on the "Quick Links" iPad issue.

Dave and I stayed on the phone for hours today going over and testing every possible issue it could be with the Quick Links problem.

You will see a few things being removed and coming back. That's all part of the testing that's going on.

Dave is going to work on the problem tonight and we will touch base in the morning.

Thank you for your constructive criticism and your patience.

Tricia

BBM
Hi Tricia and Dave, and thanks for helping. FWIW the Quick Links button problem is not just on Ipads. I run Windows 8.1 on my HP laptop and Android 5.0.1 on a Samsung S4 phone and the Quick Links button does not work for me on either device. I use Chrome browser on my laptop and Android browser on my phone.

Lilibet,
You are absolutely right. The font was not a true black but, thanks to your sharp eye, it is now a true black.
The font size is actually a lot bigger than it was before. If you want your font to stand out even more then you click on the three lines in the upper right-hand corner of your page. You will get a drop down box. From there you can make your font size bigger.

If you make your font size 110 percent it actually bolds the words for you and makes it very easy to read. At the same time,i t doesn't mess up how the page is laid out.

The reason we changed the font size to something larger and put in the white background was to make it easier to read for our older members. Dave took a long time and researched the colors and the background.

That option isn't on the ipad.... :tantrum: Wish it was, though.

BBM

Thanks so much, Tricia, for changing the color to true black. I may have a sharp eye for color, but I guess I'm blind because I don't see three lines in the upper right corner. Once I find them I will follow your directions. I'm on an iPad using Safari, but I don't see them on Chrome (thank you Tulessa) either. Would some dear member like to post a screen shot pointing out where the three lines are. And I'm sure dumb and dumber will kick in when I see them right in front of me! :doh:

I appreciate all the work you and Dave put into this change and into the tweaking we are begging you to do. :) I never noticed the font size before because I always spread my page to enlarge it. So I will believe you when you say it's bigger. Many thanks!

Lilibet, the "3 lines" isn't on the iPad. I suppose it has something to do with the iPad using Safari, but I don't really know. The option to increase the font size on the iPad from "General Settings" does not work on WS, either. fooey
(General settings/ Accessibility/ Larger Text -- Apps that support Dynamic Type will adjust to your preferred reading size, choose below)

Bravo for removing the ads for members! It's wonderful for us to get that part of our screens back for useful stuff, and I'm guessing that Websleuths had to give up some revenue to do it. Thank you!

Hold your breath, Forager. I think the Ads will be back, most likely at the top of the page. For now, we will see things come and go until they get some of the glitches worked out.

That option isn't on the ipad.... :tantrum: Wish it was, though.

Lilibet, the "3 lines" isn't on the iPad. I suppose it has something to do with the iPad using Safari, but I don't really know. The option to increase the font size on the iPad from "General Settings" does not work on WS, either. fooey
(General settings/ Accessibility/ Larger Text -- Apps that support Dynamic Type will adjust to your preferred reading size, choose below)

Hold your breath, Forager. I think the Ads will be back, most likely at the top of the page. For now, we will see things come and go until they get some of the glitches worked out.

No, the 3 lines are also on my laptop browser using Firefox. I don't use Chrome/Safari on it.

Keep an eye on the address bar in Safari when web browsing, though. Some web pages support a special ‘Reader’ mode and you’ll see four horizontal lines at the left of the address bar for those that do.
http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/internet/how-to-make-text-more-readable-in-any-web-browser-11363967296200

nowadays, most websites have a "Reader Mode" which is accessible from the four lines in the left side of the address bar. Unfortunately, WS is not one that appears to use this option. I find is very useful when I have trouble viewing a site. It re-opens the page without all the clutter and is larger and darker. You can also adjust the font in two different sizes from the new page.

Tricia, is there any plan to add this feature in the future?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 23
No, the 3 lines are also on my laptop browser using Firefox. I don't use Chrome/Safari on it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying no to, LinasK. We who use an iPad are stuck with Safari browser and don't have the same three lines to increase the font/test size. I think it may only be on PC's...?

I'm a fan of the format changes - at least for me, with my device, my browser, my eyes, my tastes. But I confess to have hoped for changes to make the site more clear and user friendly. After months of membership, I'm comfortable navigating the site, but I remember being very confused for a long time as a newbie. I worry that too many potential sleuths give up on the site before they get comfortable with it. That's where I'd focus my efforts (if I were doing the actual work, and not just kibitzing gratuitously!)

Arrrghhhhh!!!!
Anyone else feeling the pain of being tired desperately needing sleep. My meds are real strong with Morphine n all. AND MY BRAIN WON'T GIVE IN!!!

itcitchobpuf7rzwphviyvticg fiurzruufoh pjuovit uf k hajfu grrr rrrright!!!

Leg in leg out. Leg in too cold. Leg out too hot. Quilt covered over. Quilt on the floor. Quilt pulled up. Quilt over head.
🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀🦀

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

And yet earlier I was ready to doze off. But it wasn't bed time then. Meh! 🦄🐩🕊🐙🍵

GigiG, I have been there .... too tired to sleep now, myself that is. But are we talking about this in the right thread? :eek:fftobed:

Hey there, Dave AHFB! Thanks for all the hard work you are putting in here! :wave:

Arrrghhhhh!!!!
Anyone else feeling the pain of being tired desperately needing sleep. My meds are real strong with Morphine n all. AND MY BRAIN WON'T GIVE IN!!!

itcitchobpuf7rzwphviyvticg fiurzruufoh pjuovit uf k hajfu grrr rrrright!!!

Leg in leg out. Leg in too cold. Leg out too hot. Quilt covered over. Quilt on the floor. Quilt pulled up. Quilt over head.
呂呂呂呂呂呂呂呂呂

I go through that often- but because of Menopause...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay