Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your Welcome. I was curious on the layout of the school. I like to see visuals also.

The pics of the access road show how easily someone could park out of sight.

I think in one of Gwenabob's pics she says it is volunteers that do the yard work. I agree too much could be lurking in that tall grass.

Right. PPS is very strapped for cash right now and has only a skeleton crew to do yard maintenance. They probably only mow that slope a couple times a year and I bet it is a bi**h to mow, too! LOL.

The schools rely more and more on "work parties" consisting of parent volunteers to weed and mow the grounds. I don't know if they do the large fields though, like the soccer field. If those fields are used by other groups, like soccer clubs, or Little League, they might be maintained by the Parks Bureau, leaving only the actual school grounds for the parents to care for.

Your Welcome. I was curious on the layout of the school. I like to see visuals also.

The pics of the access road show how easily someone could park out of sight.

I think in one of Gwenabob's pics she says it is volunteers that do the yard work. I agree too much could be lurking in that tall grass.

I believe many structures out there today have a vulnerable spot where one could enter/exit without much or any suspicion. There was a company I had worked for; temped there first for about 3 months before getting hired in December. It wasn't until the following March that I had learned there was a side door right next to the presidents office!! Lead right to his parking spot, and he could easily leave undetected. I had just assumed he left out back through the shop or left when I was away from the reception area.

I must add, its nice to see that Skyline has adequate play area for the school; the one my son attends does not. They play in the courtyard that leads to the main doors!! Its not fun dodging all those jump ropes, let me tell you! I was also impressed to see the covered play area at Skyline.

SkylineSchool015.jpg

Side door in the front of the school that leads to a stairway to the soccer field, or the paved path to the front playground.

SkylineSchool064.jpg
Stairs from back playground
These stairs lead to the side of the school from the back playground. School to the right, covered play structure above to the left.​

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/...ol/?action=view&current=SkylineSchool064.jpg&

These pics are from Gwenabobs pictures (at link above) It really shows you that Kyron could have easily been taken from the school unseen.

Out the door down the stairs to the access road.

Great pictures Gwenabob! If anyone has not seen them I recommend looking at them.​
Especially the pics of the access road.​

Actually, those narrow stairs are at the very back of the grounds, leading from the back playground to the main level where there is another set of stairs leading to the playground. Here is a picture of the stairs just outside the exit nearest Kyron's classroom:
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/gwenabob/Skyline School/SkylineSchool022.jpg

Yep, and even in that picture of the stairwell (link above), in spite of the absent wall, the grass is still tall enough to hide Kyron for sure. Don't remember how tall Terri is, but one can easily see how any witnesses may say (depending on the angle they saw her) that they saw Terri 'leaving the school alone'.

I'm also betting that they may try to get more volunteers for grounds maintenance, due to poor Kyron.

Actually, those narrow stairs are at the very back of the grounds, leading from the back playground to the main level where there is another set of stairs leading to the playground. Here is a picture of the stairs just outside the exit nearest Kyron's classroom:
http://i780.photobucket.com/albums/yy81/gwenabob/Skyline School/SkylineSchool022.jpg

Thanks, I thought they were the same ones. I can just envision Kyron going down those stairs to meet someone.

My heart breaks for this little guy, so happy in front of his tree frog project. And then gone. What he## did he go through?

The pics of the vigil with Kaine looking so defeated and Desiree looking in the depths of despair. Just seems so senseless.

I think you understand it correctly, The access road veers off of Skyline right in front of the school and leads up to the paved asphalt ring around the soccer field. I did not think to look at the chain across the access road even though I stepped right over it!! Doh! I don't know if there is a padlock on it or not! But, long story short, anybody could drive up a little bit on the access road before the chain and wait for a minute for a kid to run down there and get in the car.

Gwenabob, if I may ask, do you happen to remember about how long it took you to walk from the exterior door closest to Kyron's classroom to the access road where the chain was? The suspected 'escape route', if you will? Is this something you thought of timing out when you were at the school? Thanks! :)

Gwenabob, if I may ask, do you happen to remember about how long it took you to walk from the exterior door closest to Kyron's classroom to the access road where the chain was? The suspected 'escape route', if you will? Is this something you thought of timing out when you were at the school? Thanks! :)

If you were walking briskly, I would say less than 30 seconds. If you were a kid running, probably all of 20 seconds. Or less.

If you were walking briskly, I would say less than 30 seconds. If you were a kid running, probably all of 20 seconds. Or less.

Thanks! It didn't look that short of a walk to me., LOL! I was curious because there is a new thread about how someone else may know what happened to Kyron that day. In that article they say Terri left the school around 9:00 a.m. If she last saw Kyron at 8:45 (or he was last seen by others) then I just wonder what took place between 8:45 and 9:00. Course I may have missed something seen in that time frame.

“Sometimes a mother’s instinct can be pretty accurate, but at the same time, (my suspicion) was factual-based,” she says. “I can’t give you details, but some of what she was saying didn’t match up with me. I’m familiar with the school, and I know how the school’s set up, and some of what she’s saying doesn’t make sense to me.”
http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/10/kyrons-parents-describe-web-of-deception-from-stepmom/

Any ideas about what exactly is it about the setup of the school that doesn't make sense in Terri's story?

The only thing I can think of is she described seeing Kyron go to his classroom standing somewhere that you can't see his classroom or going out of the school building through an unlikely door. What else?

*snipped*
Yep, and even in that picture of the stairwell (link above), in spite of the absent wall, the grass is still tall enough to hide Kyron for sure. Don't remember how tall Terri is, but one can easily see how any witnesses may say (depending on the angle they saw her) that they saw Terri 'leaving the school alone'.

On the Restraining Order, Kaine had written that Terri was 5'6" 170 lbs.
http://www.kptv.com/download/2010/0708/24187664.pdf
(see page 16)

“Sometimes a mother’s instinct can be pretty accurate, but at the same time, (my suspicion) was factual-based,” she says. “I can’t give you details, but some of what she was saying didn’t match up with me. I’m familiar with the school, and I know how the school’s set up, and some of what she’s saying doesn’t make sense to me.”
http://blogs.wweek.com/news/2010/07/10/kyrons-parents-describe-web-of-deception-from-stepmom/

Any ideas about what exactly is it about the setup of the school that doesn't make sense in Terri's story?

The only thing I can think of is she described seeing Kyron go to his classroom standing somewhere that you can't see his classroom or going out of the school building through an unlikely door. What else?

#1, TH's timeline, as if she left him at 8:45 the halls would be filled with students, teachers, etc., especially if they were all breaking down into parent-chaperoned groups.

#2 How she said goodbye -- There was the reporter that said TH stood 150 feet from the classroom and that hallway isn't that long to begin with. If this reporter stated so in error, and it was just some yards away that she watched him walk towards the class, but no one saw him but her, that also doesn't make any sense on a busy school day filled with extra parents, staff, and everyone getting ready to move from classroom to classroom.

JMO - it's a very small, old school, and it's almost impossible not to be seen.

#1, TH's timeline, as if she left him at 8:45 the halls would be filled with students, teachers, etc., especially if they were all breaking down into parent-chaperoned groups.

#2 How she said goodbye -- There was the reporter that said TH stood 150 feet from the classroom and that hallway isn't that long to begin with. If this reporter stated so in error, and it was just some yards away that she watched him walk towards the class, but no one saw him but her, that also doesn't make any sense on a busy school day filled with extra parents, staff, and everyone getting ready to move from classroom to classroom.

JMO - it's a very small, old school, and it's almost impossible not to be seen.

Yes, I see what you mean about the 150 feet ; that is quite a far distance, IMO. And I don't understand how TH would definately be the last person to see Kyron, particularly at that time of day.

It's interesting that Kyron's classmate stated that he saw TH leaving the school ,and that she was alone. And he also stated that he saw Kyron by their classroom door. I would love to know where he saw TH leave from.

All JMO

I still wonder if there was/is some sort of a tunnel/air raid shelter type thing underneath this school that was covered/boarded over and remembered only by someone who worked there or who had attended school there a long time ago.

There were tunnels from castles leading to rivers.

I know this sounds weird, but I have read of tunnels leading from homes to barns in order to elude Indians or the law. I have also read of tunnels being constructed during prohibition. During the 1950s there were a lot of shelters and I'm sure not all are in use, or even remembered today.

I still wonder if there was/is some sort of a tunnel/air raid shelter type thing underneath this school that was covered/boarded over and remembered only by someone who worked there or who had attended school there a long time ago.

There were tunnels from castles leading to rivers.

I know this sounds weird, but I have read of tunnels leading from homes to barns in order to elude Indians or the law. I have also read of tunnels being constructed during prohibition. During the 1950s there were a lot of shelters and I'm sure not all are in use, or even remembered today.

Duck 'n cover...

Interesting point.

I posted a thread in the reference forum with a link to the home page of this site, but wanted to post here too. Several of the personal histories include references to Skyline school and its predecessor.

http://srnpdx.org/history-skyline-ridge

Also, galleries of neighborhood summer gatherings at the school, and a section devoted to Kyron.

http://srnpdx.org/galleries

http://srnpdx.org/kyron-horman

Calliope, great links! thanks

Within the Skyline link are two articles with personal reflections from the search.

Cindy Banks, owner of the Brooks Hill Church and her thoughts about LE and the press at her church: http://srnpdx.org/events-brooks-hill-historic-church

Tracy Waters, from The Grange where searchers organized: http://srnpdx.org/scene-skyline-grange

Both are an excellent read of their personal experiences.

Seeing aerial photographs of the school makes me wonder how anyone, even Terri, perhaps especially Terri, managed to get Kyron out of the school unseen. There is a lot of focus on the back entrances/exits, but there doesn't seem to be a large amount of parking at the school. Cars would have spilled around the school to, perhaps, unusual places -- parking on grass, around back, etc.

Seeing aerial photographs of the school makes me wonder how anyone, even Terri, perhaps especially Terri, managed to get Kyron out of the school unseen. There is a lot of focus on the back entrances/exits, but there doesn't seem to be a large amount of parking at the school. Cars would have spilled around the school to, perhaps, unusual places -- parking on grass, around back, etc.

Actually, there has been LOTS of discussion involving Kyron leaving through other exits.

This is a good place to start:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108596"]If the plan was to be seen at the school..... - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member