Does Skyline school bear any responsibility?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes. I just noticed. My above post is from the task force report linked in the post prior. Sorry.

http://www.pps.k12.or.us/schools/skyline/files/mskach/Parentand_StudentHandbook_2010-11.pdf

The school handbook is back online. I search the calender for the date of the science fair for next spring, but it's not noted. The talent show is still slated and I see mention of the IB science program. Maybe admin decided against an organized fair this year.

Under Activities and Events the Skyline IB Inquiry Event is described--sounds like that could be the science fair. The date or time of year is not mentioned and it's not on the calendar. Maybe a Skyline parent can tell us if that is a separate event.

This was an IB event.

I asked way back (not sure if on this thread) about student teachers. Do we know if any were still interning at Skyline or if any had helped out in the fair? Or possibly came to visit that day to see how the kids had done?

This was an IB event.

I asked way back (not sure if on this thread) about student teachers. Do we know if any were still interning at Skyline or if any had helped out in the fair? Or possibly came to visit that day to see how the kids had done?

Okay, what's IB? I give up.

Okay, what's IB? I give up.

International Baccalaureate

http://www.ibo.org/

ETA: here's an earlier thread specifically on the event.

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106889"]The Science Fair-IB Expo and the Electric Project - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

This time line as reported by the Oregonian, makes me wonder.

10 a.m. Classes begin.

At some point, Kyron's homeroom teacher, Kristina Porter, reports him absent.

1:21 p.m. Terri Horman posts photos of Kyron at the science fair on her Facebook page.

Do we have any report that says that Kyron was marked absent at 10:00 am when classes started? Apparently the Oregonian doesn't or they would not be using the terms "at some point" in time. ??? Is it possible he wasn't marked absent until much later in the day?

This time line as reported by the Oregonian, makes me wonder.

10 a.m. Classes begin.

At some point, Kyron's homeroom teacher, Kristina Porter, reports him absent.

1:21 p.m. Terri Horman posts photos of Kyron at the science fair on her Facebook page.

Do we have any report that says that Kyron was marked absent at 10:00 am when classes started? Apparently the Oregonian doesn't or they would not be using the terms "at some point" in time. ??? Is it possible he wasn't marked absent until much later in the day?

Well that's a bit misleading. School started at its regular time, but the first hour was spent touring the exhibits. The kids were supposed to return to their homerooms to begin regular classwork at 10 am.

I want to know if she saw him before 8:45, or at any point after the start of school. When did it first occur to her that he was absent. At what time did she mark him absent, and when did she report that to the office and were any notations attached (i.e. "he is at doc appt with stepmom"). And IF there was a notation that he went to a doctor's appointment, why did the school not follow up on this, as their policy had not been followed regarding signing him out.

I'd also like to know what Kyron's attendance had been not only for this past year but since starting school. How often did he miss school or removed from school for appointments or other activities. Terri mentioned somewhere (email? FB?) that he would go off to the bathroom without permission/telling teacher where he was going. I'd like to know from his teacher (and past teachers) if this is true.

I'd also like to know what Kyron's attendance had been not only for this past year but since starting school. How often did he miss school or removed from school for appointments or other activities. Terri mentioned somewhere (email? FB?) that he would go off to the bathroom without permission/telling teacher where he was going. I'd like to know from his teacher (and past teachers) if this is true.

I hadn't seen that statement, be interesting to find it.

I hadn't seen that statement, be interesting to find it.

It's been referenced here a few times. I can't recall where it was she said that...

Having trouble remembering a lot today ><

I'd also like to know if he ever saw the school nurse...for whatever reason....

In addition are there "School Crossing Guards At Skyline"

The reference to Kyron going to the bathroom without notifying anyone was on Terri's Facebook. There was a picture of Baby K, on her birthday, taken in Kyron's classroom, with his classmates. The caption said something like, Look who's not in the picture; he wandered off to the bathroom again without telling anyone.

The "story" goes that the bell rings to go to class at 8:45. The children were to be put into groups at 9:00 and tour. And yet roll, was not taken, until 10:00. Why? Why in the heck wasn't roll call taken as soon as the kids started class? Isn't that normal? None of this makes any sense to me. Does anyone know what the usual procedure for roll call is for Skyline Elementary.

Well that's a bit misleading. School started at its regular time, but the first hour was spent touring the exhibits. The kids were supposed to return to their homerooms to begin regular classwork at 10 am.

I want to know if she saw him before 8:45, or at any point after the start of school. When did it first occur to her that he was absent. At what time did she mark him absent, and when did she report that to the office and were any notations attached (i.e. "he is at doc appt with stepmom"). And IF there was a notation that he went to a doctor's appointment, why did the school not follow up on this, as their policy had not been followed regarding signing him out.

IMO since it was not the school policy to follow up on regular absences there would probably have to be a record of someone signing him in before they would start to get concerned. Just entering the school doors doesn't create such a record if there is nobody at the doors to keep an updated list of who's in and who's out.

Did the teacher see Kyron in the morning?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tAZ1FmHtcI&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Do you realize that gives us a new timeline? The reporter discusses that at 9:45, when the classes were regrouping, is when the substitute notices Kyron not with the group................NOT before classes began at 8:45.

IMO since it was not the school policy to follow up on regular absences there would probably have to be a record of someone signing him in before they would start to get concerned. Just entering the school doors doesn't create such a record if there is nobody at the doors to keep an updated list of who's in and who's out.

Yes, and another teacher also, according to the reports.

Yes. In Kyron's/Miss Porter's classroom, according to Matt Shelby from PPS. I just read it yesterday. Holler if you want the link, Donjeta. I can find it again I think.

ETA: Here's the link:

Shelby said that Porter saw Kyron in her classroom with his stepmom before 8:45 a.m. and another instructor reported seeing him in another classroom at some point.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

The "story" goes that the bell rings to go to class at 8:45. The children were to be put into groups at 9:00 and tour. And yet roll, was not taken, until 10:00. Why? Why in the heck wasn't roll call taken as soon as the kids started class? Isn't that normal? None of this makes any sense to me. Does anyone know what the usual procedure for roll call is for Skyline Elementary.

I always try to envision how the conversation went in this situations. It helps me think of what makes sense, what doesn't, what's likely to have happened, what's unlikely, what would have worked in the situation, what wouldn't, etc.

So... how did this conversation go?

Teacher: Okay, Mrs. Chaperone, I've got 12 kids in my class, so you take 6 kids around to the exhibits, and I'll take the other 6.

Mrs. C: Okay, who should I take?

Teacher: Susie, Billy, Joey, Katie, Tommy, Kyron, and Einstein.

Mrs. C. Okay I've got Susie, Billy, Joey, Katie, and Tommy. Where are Kyron and Einstein?

What does the teacher say?

Or did the conversation go like this?

Teacher: Okay, Mrs. Chaperone, I've got 12 kids in my class, so you take 6 kids around to the exhibits, and I'll take the other 6.

Mrs. C: Okay, who should I take?

Teacher: I already grabbed my 6 and put them in the corner, you take whoever's left.

Mrs. C: Okay.

Does Mrs. C count the kids? Did the teacher? How do the teacher and Mrs. C know they don't have a kid or two who wandered in from another class? How do they know which kids are absent because they're sick, in the bathroom, outside looking at the flower beds, hidden under a desk, etc etc etc?

When I envision the possible varying factors, and the conversations that go with them, it sure lends credence to TP's testimony of what happened and how the conversation went (if that happened at 8:45-9):

Mrs. C: Oh no! Where's Kyron?

Teacher: Don't worry. He must have gone to the bathroom or for a drink of water.

Mrs. C: Okay. I'm off for the tour.

And then what happens to missing Kyron?

Did nobody care until 10?

This stuff drives me crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics