Dylan Redwine Case Discussion Thread/Dylan's Remains Found

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's odd. I could see saying it felt surreal or like being in a movie, a horror movie even. Her son is dead! But a Disney movie? Going off your post, she feels like Bambi's mother? The dog in Old Yeller? One of the princesses (Bella, Ariel, Snow White) ?

But really, people do react to grief differently. I'll give that to her. But we should also give that same consideration to his father. Both reactions, his and hers, can be viewed as within "normal" ranges for the parents of a missing /found deceased child.

His reactions are far from normal!

MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO

I've been pondering some of the aspects of the case that bother me most and tried to come up with a narrative that feels consistent to me. I have one that I will outline below, but I will freely admit that others are possible. However, IMO, MRDI provides the most flexibility in explaining some of the otherwise incongruous aspects. But this is just one possible narrative and portraying these as a plausible sequence of events is MOO. I will toss in some IMO's just to reiterate that point.

IMO: MR & Dylan did have a close relationship when Dylan was young (from an interview with RN, the friend he planned to see). Dylan is MR's last form of familial validation.
But Dylan has become a teenager, less interested in nerf football, Dad/son talks at restaurants, and watching movies together (I think most parents of teens have seen this transition). Plus, any respect Dylan may have once had would likely be undermined by the photos.

IMO: They would both be frustrated by the day's delay of the flight, MR because he wanted to see his son, and Dylan because he wanted to see his friends. So, things would likely get off to a bad start, with Dylan wanting to immediately see his friends that very night. MR refuses because he wants bonding time, and there are signs that there were negative consequences to a tiff, at least mood-wise if not physical, in the Walmart footage.

IMO:
Afterwards, MR tried to make it work, letting Dylan pick out the movies and getting McD's takeout instead of the sit-down he had planned. I believe they got home. The search warrant seems to point to at least a few possessions of Dylan's in the house. Maybe Dylan took off his shoes to be more comfortable. They try to watch the movie, but neither is really interested in it and both are in a bad mood.

IMO: MR might become more frustrated by Dylan's continued sullen silence and texting instead of being engaged with him, especially as MR sees himself as making a big effort. I suspect that as a result of that frustration, MR confiscated Dylan's phone before the convo with Ryan was completely finished (which is why Dylan didn't ack the last two msgs). At some point, Dylan starts using the ipod-touch to text, and perhaps MR is initially unaware of that capability. It would be useful to know who those were to and what they said.

IMO: Maybe when MR realized that Dylan is still texting some time soon after 9:37, he flew into a rage. Perhaps Dylan uber-dissed him by bringing up the photos. There may have been a physical scuffle. Dylan may have been accidentally killed on the couch. Maybe there was some evidence of that on or in the backpack (if not blood, which would presumably have gotten elsewhere, then maybe something got smashed inside it or maybe a strap/buckle/cord was visibly damaged in a tussle). At any rate, I am guessing for some reason it was necessary to remove it from the house, and MR had to figure that folks would think he just took it with him.

IMO: Another possibility is that MR confiscated the ipod at 9:37+ and a blow-up happened sometime later, possibly even the next morning.

IMO: In the forensics thread, I noted that I find the missing shoes quite odd, since the laces and a sock were found. You'd think at least one of the shoes would be found in that case. Assuming that info (list of found items) is correct, it makes me think that maybe Dylan wasn't wearing his shoes. Further, we know LE thinks it's a homicide, and while the bones could conceivably bear marks that would make them think that, I think it's more likely the laces are the source of that certainty. Perhaps they were used as staged bindings. Perhaps they were used to make carrying easier (a use for laces I saw suggested on a completely different homicide website). In either case, it wouldn't make sense to put the shoes back on and I suspect they are with the backpack, wherever that is.

IMO: In this scenario, the fishing pole is used to create the impression that Dylan had gone fishing (and subsequently been abducted) and the search would hopefully be concentrated in the wrong location near the lake at least until winter had a chance to erase some of the evidence on the body.

Comments, criticism, and alternatives welcome.

MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO MOO

I think some stuff you have there is good thinking. I'm not allowed to address some of it, but I think that may have entered into it.

When I initially heard that Dylan was found close to him, this immediately sounded more like an RSO than MR (studies show disposal by family members to be at longer distances than RSOs, plus I would think MR would want to hide him far away where he'd never be found. But then again, he could want to be close to Dylan, too. And knowing that LE would be watching his every move, he probably knew he couldn't visit the grave site. Therefore, I find the visibility aspect of the location of the remains to the residence as intriguing, a type of exception so to speak in the distance theory. (also, if it was a heated accident, then he might have been running primarily on adrenaline, panic and fear).

Also, here's another thing: MR was aware of animal activity. If this was an accident, then I would think he would bury his son respectfully, (as I've always said, in a special place with a special marker (was the majestic mountain the marker?). So if he was going to do this, I would think he would do so in such a way that animals couldn't get at him (crate? pipe from work?). (Unless he thought scavenging would work to his advantage? I just don't think he would want his son's remains scattered and scavenged...) Maybe he didn't anticipate the animals being able to dig that deep or the runoff from the snow melting? I would imagine that has a lot of power running downhill...I've been up in the mountains and caught little trickle streams of water running down from waaaay far away.

Re: the aerial footage of that drainage pipe. My questions are, is this where Dylan's remains were actually found, and if so, where they transported there by water runoff, or placed there? The photo reminds me of the pipe in Jessica Ridgeway's case. :( What about the cliff thing? Looking at the maps...Runlett Peak??

Is this a case of "the best laid plans..."?

Last night I was thinking, maybe MR put him close so it would look like an RSO, but then I decided I don't think he is knowledgeable in other cases to be aware of such stats, patterns, etc.., unless he moved the body afterwards?

Also, if there turn out to be any signs of dismemberment, I would lean closer to a stranger abduction.

All science and evidence aside, re: gitana1's 17 points, a big hinky factor for me, is MR balming ER for his disappearance (#12). That to me is ridiculous.

Mr's thinking could be "they'd never find him here" vs "If I was going to do it, would I place his remains so close to home where he could be found?"

Could the body have been moved to accommodate a venturing out in the woods, mangled, end of story theory as Katy described?

Didn't Mark say something like dylans there looking down on us watching all this?

he was right he was right there!

I think she means her life was idyllic, happy, like a Disney movie... and then, when this all happened, it's like that Disney movie turned bad. I don't find it odd at all. I often times say that I feel like my life right now is perfect and I never want these days to end. If something bad were to happen, I might even put it the same way. My fairy tale didn't get the happily ever after. JMO.

Oh Ronso, Thank you was just not enough. I did not find the statement odd either, but was struggling to understand what Elaine might have been trying to convey. I think you have absolutely hit on what she meant.

Didn't Mark say something like dylans there looking down on us watching all this?

he was right he was right there!

Just to check, you're referring to that as a coincidence and not suggesting MR was speaking literally, right?

I remember hearing about how he was not an outdoorsy kid, even in the face of video clips showing Dylan mugging it up at the reservoir with all his friends, and pictures of him in a baseball uniform. I remember hearing how Dylan would not go outside on his own, he would not fish on his own, he would not hitchhike.

But then it comes out that Dylan loved baseball, spent last summer outdoors from dawn to dusk, hanging out with friends, riding ATV's, swimming, fishing, hiking, camping and even a story of him hitchhiking. But those that knew he best insisted he would never do these things and didn't like them. Except then later they said he did. :facepalm:

I was just thinking the same thing. Reading a poster saying something about Dylan not liking fishing or rivers or something along those lines. I immediately remembered the video his friends had made and set to music - non stop images of Dylan in the water, jumping in the water, up rocks .... every single photo was of him outside, being active.

Using this to jump off another posters point - someone stated that he hadn't seen one photo of Dylan with a phone, despite him being described as an avid texter .... I get where he is coming from. I have a Facebook account, and I am friends on there with a lot of my friends children (I like to keep tabs of what my kids are up to!), and I would say that at least half the photos of my kids and their friends are either taken on their mobiles (in mirrors, self portraits etc) or are photos of them with phones in their hands, or on the ground next to them. So yes, I get exactly where that poster is coming from. It is a bit odd.

Just MOO - not saying anyone is lying obviously, just that people can perceive people in different ways. For example my little boy's school report says that he doesn't mix with other children, prefers adult company and isn't very social. Now I thought the teacher had made a mistake as at home is is always out with his brothers, goes to the park, hangs round with his big brother's mates on the bmx ramps, and loves going to the indoor ball parks and playing with kids he meets there. Sounds like two completely different children. He just acts one way at school and one way at home. Just like Dylan could act one way with his mates and dad .... and a completely different way with his mum and stepdad, friends in the new area.

I think I understand confirmation bias and I don't even mind so much being accused of it. Where I start having a problem is when I am accused (not by you, this is a general opinion) of basing my own opinions on the opinions of others. I pride myself in being an independent, objective thinker, so its hard to hear terms like "hive" or "group"-thinker.
I don't think that's the same thing as confirmation bias (interpreting facts based on a pre-
drawn conclusion).

As far as confirmation bias, I think as humans we are susceptible to it. In regards th this case, even when I try to look at other options its very difficult to make them pan out intellectually. So if that is confirmation bias, guilty.

Just to check, you're referring to that as a coincidence and not suggesting MR was speaking literally, right?

Oh I think that was one time he spoke the truth!

JUst like Casey Anthony telling her mom cayleee was close!

I was just thinking the same thing. Reading a poster saying something about Dylan not liking fishing or rivers or something along those lines. I immediately remembered the video his friends had made and set to music - non stop images of Dylan in the water, jumping in the water, up rocks .... every single photo was of him outside, being active.

Using this to jump off another posters point - someone stated that he hadn't seen one photo of Dylan with a phone, despite him being described as an avid texter .... I get where he is coming from. I have a Facebook account, and I am friends on there with a lot of my friends children (I like to keep tabs of what my kids are up to!), and I would say that at least half the photos of my kids and their friends are either taken on their mobiles (in mirrors, self portraits etc) or are photos of them with phones in their hands, or on the ground next to them. So yes, I get exactly where that poster is coming from. It is a bit odd.

Just MOO - not saying anyone is lying obviously, just that people can perceive people in different ways. For example my little boy's school report says that he doesn't mix with other children, prefers adult company and isn't very social. Now I thought the teacher had made a mistake as at home is is always out with his brothers, goes to the park, hangs round with his big brother's mates on the bmx ramps, and loves going to the indoor ball parks and playing with kids he meets there. Sounds like two completely different children. He just acts one way at school and one way at home. Just like Dylan could act one way with his mates and dad .... and a completely different way with his mum and stepdad, friends in the new area.

Funny If I asked my kids both teens if they want to go to the beach camping fishing with us they say no but if their friends are going they then gooooo.

And If I were you Id question your child about whats going on in school something sounds wrong here. It could very well be someone at school make him feel uncomfortable or is bullying him. He sounds social enuff to me there is something wrong at school don't take teachers word for it ask your child.

This is just me and what i think ;)

But i find it so morbid he wants to pick aside the country side to find bits of Dylan. Dylan soul is not in the bones and Dylan is long gone and its best IMO to remember Dylan as the fun , charming , peace keeping kid he was .

Why would any parent subject themselves to trying to locate bits of bone when its no longer the Dylan they knew and loved ?>

This is once again how i feel!!

And yet the guy gets criticized when he doesn't hand out posters, accused of not searching hard enough or not getting involved enough ...... yet when he wants to find all of his son's body to bury him decently, he's criticized for that? I guess he can't win.

If it was my child's bones out there, I can tell you I would be doing exactly the same. I wouldn't want any bit of him left, I would want him laid to rest respectfully, not left out in the open.

Really good points! It is often said that it is hard to trust complete pure happiness, but it sounds like Elaine was doing just that ..... until this.

After having escaped from a horrid relationship, Elaine had found her Prince Charming, moved into her new magical castle with their amazing children, and started a wonderful new life. She even had made a great career move! :moo:

Someone was not happy about that and destroyed it all. :stormingmad:

And yet the guy gets criticized when he doesn't hand out posters, accused of not searching hard enough or not getting involved enough ...... yet when he wants to find all of his son's body to bury him decently, he's criticized for that? I guess he can't win.

If it was my child's bones out there, I can tell you I would be doing exactly the same. I wouldn't want any bit of him left, I would want him laid to rest respectfully, not left out in the open.

:goodpost:

Also, your avatar is cute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members