Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Jury Trial - discussion *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
CNN ‏@CNN 5h5 hours ago
As his relatives testified, Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev showed a rare glimmer of emotion: http://cnn.it/1EOnAUk

CEQoeTGWgAAAD38.jpg

Holly Bailey ‏@hollybdc 23m23 minutes ago
From defense evidence: A 2012 photo of Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev posing w/ former wrestling teammate, coaches

CESQt4_WIAAkb1Z.png

Laurel J. Sweet ‏@Laurel_Sweet 2h2 hours ago
Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev, right, with wrestling teammate Henry Alvarez.

CER3NxQWMAAUG7M.jpg

Christians For Jahar ‏@Christians4DAT 3h3 hours ago
Wrestling pictures of Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev from today's defense exhibits

CER0QVyWIAE4-5a.png

Excellent cross examination of Reynolds by the prosecution.
I am wondering if the homicide Tamerlan may or may not have been involved in will be brought up.

YESorNO you are fabulous. I wouldn't have been able to follow this trial properly without you. Thank you for the tweets and all the news articles and links you have posted. This thread is a credit to you.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 4h 4 hours ago
Court officers stop media from entering #Tsarnaev courtroom just as we reach door; saying there's an delay that could take a while.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 4h 4 hours ago
We were just told there will be a delay in the start of proceedings today. I'll keep you updated @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 4h 4 hours ago
No explanation given for what we are told could be a long #Tsarnaev delay this morning. Cue the wild speculation.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 3h 3 hours ago
Note to self: when court official says possible long delay, he might actually mean "4 minutes".
We are in #Tsarnaev court now..

#Tsarnaev enters, waves at one of his lawyers as he takes his seat. Miriam Conrad leans in for her morning chat, all smiles.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 3h 3 hours ago
The judge is here, no jury. He begins with a sidebar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge arrives, no jury.
"Somebody said there was an issue?" he asks, and gestures for lawyers to come to sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Sidebar ends, jazz piano fades out...
Jurors are called in; sounds like we will hear from a witness via video today.

Lawyers arguing, before jury arrives, re: the fact the man about to testify via video won't technically be under oath b/c he's not in the US

Govt argues while this video witness will be under oath, he is not in the US so it's not enforceable, just moral @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense suggests "it's the government's doing" that this witness will testify via video from overseas; waiting for details.
Jury arrives

The judge tells the jury the first defense witness will be testifying from Kazakhstan @NECN #Tsarnaev

This witness is appearing via video teleconference, he is saying "can you hear me now?" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Judge: This witness is in Kazakstan, via "remote connection".
#Tsarnaev

The technical details behind pulling this off may have been reason for our brief delay this morning.
Court officials bringing new monitor.

The witness is Elmirza Khozhugov; he is at the US Embassy in Kazakhstan, 7:30pm local time there.
#Tsarnaev

Khozhugov speaks excellent English; says he studied here as a teenager and then again for college in 2004.
#Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: I was married to #Tsarnaev's sister Alina; my other sister is married to #Tsarnaev's uncle Ruzlan.

Khozhugov was married to Ailina #Tsarnaev Dzhokhar's sister, so he is his former brother-in-law @NECN

Khozhugov says his sister is also married to Dzhokhar's uncle Ruslan Tsarni @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov has a child with Ailina. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says he was close friends with Tamerlan, they were the same age @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: I knew Tamerlan better than I knew the rest of the #Tsarnaev family. "He was my friend."

Khozhugov says Tamerlan & his sisters stayed back in Kazakhstan for about a year when Dzhokhar & his parents moved to the US @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says Tamerlan "was charismatic, friendly, goofy sometimes, overall he was fun to be around" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "Tamerlan was an interesting young man, polite...charismatic, friendly, goofy sometimes."
#Tsarnaev

K: Tamerlan & his sisters stayed with me in Kazakhstan for a year when his parents went to the US.
#Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says when he came to the U.S. for college in Washington state, the #Tsarnaev women & Ruslan Tsarni visited him @NECN

Jurors now see a photo of Khozhugov hugging Zubeidat, Ruslan's daughter is in the photo as well @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense will attempt the feat of reviewing photographic evidence w/ this witness on the other side of the world; he has hard copies of pics

The photos are candid family shots; first is Khozhugov hugging Zubeidat (#Tsarnaev's mother)

Another photo shows the #Tsarnaev family (except Anzor) and a couple of cousins after their visit to Khozhugov @NECN

K: I once tried to convince Tamerlan to move to Washington state with me, where I was going to college. He never came, though.
#Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says the following year Tamerlan visited him. He says he tried to convince him & the #Tsarnaev family to move to Washington @NECN

K: I told Tamerlan I was having feelings for his sister Ailina; I asked if it was ok. He says sure, as long as you have "good intentions".

Khozhugov asked Tamerlan if he could have a relationship with Ailina. He says #Tsarnaev told him as long as he had good intentions @NECN

Khozhugov says he was 19 at the time, Ailina was 15. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says Tamerlan was really his only friend in the US @NECN #Tsarnaev

Next photo the jury sees is of Khozhugov & Tamerlan, captioned (by K.) as "The_Professor & The_Chechnian", the nicknames we gave ourselves.

K: Tamerlan wanted to be called The Professor because he thought it made him sound smarter.

Khozhugov says he and Ailina married in Kazakhstan when he was 20 & she was 16 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Soon, Khozhugov marries Ailina #Tsarnaev, 4 years his junior.
They are married "for almost two years".

Khozhugov says his marriage to Ailina lasted "almost 2 years" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "We had an argument considering some contacts I found in her Facebook, I lost my temper & put my hands on her" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says he was arrested, Tamerlan bailed him out, tried to counsel him on his temper @NECN #Tsarnaev

Tamerlan #Tsarnaev bails out his brother-in-law, arrested for hitting his sister. Tells him: stay calm.
The couple separates, later divorces

K: While we were still married, Ailina and I spent a lot of time at #Tsarnaev family apartment in Cambridge.

Khozhugov says every break when he & Ailina were together (2006-2008) they would visit the #Tsarnaev family in Cambridge @NECN

Khozhugov says the #Tsarnaev family apt was very small, cramped with only two bedrooms @NECN

Khozhugov remembers the home as small "and always crowded".
#Tsarnaev parents had many fights; the mom had more authority than the dad.

Khozhugov: "It was obvious that neither of them wanted to give in, so they had a lot of conflict & arguments" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "Zubeidat had the authority in the family" not Anzor @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov on Zubeidat & Tamerlan: "She loved him, she praised him...he listened to his mom than anyone else in the family" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: #Tsarnaev's mother loved Tamerlan; full of praise & encouragement. He loved her back; he listened to her more than to anyone else.

Jury sees a photo of Zubeidat hugging Tamerlan "he would hug her every day...tell her that he loved her" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: I remember Dzhokhar spent a lot of time studying, reading, writing. "He wasn't very interested in the computer."

Khozhugov on Dzhokhar: "he was very quiet, polite, just as Tamerlan was at that age, patient...he was responsible" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev's mom would put his good grades on the fridge, very proud. Dzhokhar was quiet, patient, responsible.

K: I remember Misha, a friend of Tamerlan, who taught him about Islam, suggested books to read, offered his "own views".

Khozhugov says one of the final times he visited Cambridge he met Tamerlan's Armenian friend "Misha" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says Misha "was teaching (Tamerlan) & suggesting books to read & expressing his own views" about the Muslim faith @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "Misha was welcomed by Zubeidat to come in any time to talk to Tamerlan" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: Zubeidat encouraged Misha's instruction of her son Tamerlan. I didn't like those conversations - conspiracy theories, satanism.

Khozhugov says Zubeidat told Anzor, "Misha is teaching your son good things" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: Tamerlan "would defend Misha as if he was a good person" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: Tamerlan soon tells me he quits boxing.
I ask why.
Tam. says that Misha told him Islam says he shouldn't "hit people on the head".

Khozhugov says Tamerlan also quit music even though he played piano since he was a kid @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: Tamerlan also took acting and music classes, which he quit because Misha told him too - saying it conflicted with Islam.
#Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: Tamerlan was into conspiracy theories, wanted me to see the videos he watched online, about politics and religion.

Khozhugov: Tamerlan "did talk to me a lot about religion itself in general & particularly about conspiracy theories" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says Tamerlan shared videos with him as well @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "Tamerlan loved his younger brother, absolutely adored him...defended him...he was older brother leader I guess" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: "Tamerlan loved his younger brother...absolutely adored him."
Older brother was leader, I guess, & charismatic. Spent much time together.

Khozhugov: "Tamerlan couldn't find enough words to express his love to his younger brother" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "Dzhokhar, he listened to Tamerlan, he went along anytime Tamerlan would say let's do this or that" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: Tamerlan was ready to do anything for Dzhokhar to be successful in life.

K: Dzhokhar listened to Tamerlan, did was he was told, went along to be "good younger brother as he was supposed to be in a Chechen family".

Khozhugov explains Chechen saying: "in a family with 7 sons it is better to be a dog than the youngest son" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: We say, in a family with 7 sons, it is better to be the dog than the 7th son.

Khozhugov says basically the youngest son would have to follow what the 6 older sons asked of him @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says his son lives in the US but Zubeidat brought him to Kazakhstan in 2010 for a few months @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov said Zubeidat was covered when she arrived, "I was a bit surprised" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K testifies, like so many others, that he was startled to see Zubeidat #Tsarnaev start dressing more conservatively, wear a headscarf.

Khozhugov: "actually it made me laugh, I knew wearing these clothes it isn't going to change the way she is" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov on Zubeidat's dress: "I just saw it as a way to cover up the way that she actually is, as if it was going to help" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: After I finished college (& post-divorce) I came back to Boston to pick up my son & return to Kazakhstan. But Ailina never showed up.

Khozhugov says after graduation he was supposed to meet up with Ailina & his son, they didn't show so he called Tamerlan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says he was surprised when Tamerlan said no, that he needed to go to the mosque instead @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: I called around, couldn't find her or my son. I reached Tamerlan, hoped to at least talk to him, but he said no.

K: I finally got my son to come to Kazakhstan in late 2012; Dzhokhar brought my son to DC and helped him fly to me.

Khozhugov says in 2012 Dzhokhar brought his son to DC so he could fly to Kazakhstan to see him @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says Dzhokhar was the one who often babysat his son, "they were like brothers" @NECN #Tsarnaev

K: My son considers Dzhokhar "his older brother"; he babysat for him, spent much time with him.
Jury sees a selfie of the two now.

Jury sees a photo of Dzhokhar & his nephew (Khozhugov's son) possibly from Skype @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says his son didn't go back to the U.S. because of the marathon Bombings @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: We decided my son would stay here in Kzakhstan for a few months, supposed to go back in April, 2013, but bombing happened.

Khozhugov says his son's birthday was 4/15/07. Same day as marathon bombings @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says when they learned who the suspects were it was "not a good idea to send my son over there at the moment" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense is done with Khozhugov. Govt does cross, asking if the defendant chose to bomb the marathon on his son's birthday @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense objects. Judge sustains. @NECN #Tsarnaev

C: The defendant was very close to your son?
K: Yes.
C: But he chose to bomb the Boston Marathon on his birthday?

Objection.

Khozhugov says his son was supposed to return to the U.S. after celebrating his birthday (4/15) in Kazakhstan @NECN #Tsarnaev

C: You're no expert on Chechen culture?
K: Yes, absolutely I am.
C: Didn't you tell FBI in '13 you weren't familiar w/ it?
K: I may have.

Khozhugov tells govt he is an expert on Chechnya. Govt points out he told the FBI in 2013 he was not
"I may have said that."
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov reluctantly agrees with govt that Ruslan Tsarni was very supportive of him & the #Tsarnaev family @NECN

C: Ruzlan Tsarni (#Tsarnaev uncle) was very supportive of the extended family?
C: But he was the youngest brother?

Govt: is it fair to say Ruslan was the youngest of the #Tsarnaev brothers?
Khozhugov: yes
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov: "It's not custom that the youngest brother is the bread-giver in the family, it is very unusual."
@NECN #Tsarnaev

C: That's not typical?
K: It's very unusual. It's mostly an older brother who takes control but w/ #Tsarnaevs, young bro "outsmarted" others

Khozhugov on Ruslan & his family: "They just have a younger brother who outsmarted the rest of the family" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 2h 2 hours ago
Govt asks if Khozhugov told the FBI it was Tamerlan's parents who told him to stop boxing @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov says his father told him to stop, but it was Misha who said he should quit boxing because of his religion @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt gets Khozhugov to agree Tamerlan did begin boxing again. Jury saw video of him boxing from 3 days before bombings @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 2h 2 hours ago
C: Your last contact w/ Tamerlan was '10?
K: On phone, '11
C: You told FBI that culturally u can't have contact w/ ex-wife's brother?
K: Yes

C: So it's no surprise that Tamerlan wouldn't see you when you came to Boston to get your son?
K: I thought he might.
#Tsarnaev

Govt presses Khozhugov on his contact with Tamerlan, saying in his culture he & the brother of his ex shouldn't have contact @NECN #Tsarnaev

Khozhugov agrees in general that is correct, but insists he & Tamerlan had stayed in touch @NECN #Tsarnaev

But Khozhugov admits the last time he spoke to Tamerlan was 2011, didn't talk to #Tsarnaev family a lot @NECN

C: So from 2011-2013, you didn't have much of a window into what was happening in the #Tsarnaev household?
K: Not really, but got some info.

K. admits he probably only heard what Zubeidat wanted him to hear during the years right before the bombings, since he was estranged.

Khozhugov insists he was informed of what was happening in the family because of his son, his sister's marriage to Ruslan @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt presses that Ruslan & his brother Anzor didn't have the best relationship at that time. @NECN #Tsarnaev

K. admits he probably only heard what Zubeidat wanted him to hear during the years right before the bombings, since he was estranged.

Govt gets Khozhugov to agree he was close to Tamerlan, not Dzhokhar @NECN #Tsarnaev

Cross exam ends, Judy Clarke comes back for defense, but has no more questions.
Judge: "We'll terminate the connection."
#Tsarnaev

Judge calls for an early morning recess.
#Tsarnaev confers with Clarke for a second, but is escorted out by Marshals.

Judge is taking morning break now @NECN #Tsarnaev

Back from recess.

Defense calls Dr. Jay Geidd.
He's an MD at University of California, San Diego.

#Tsarnaev

The next defense witness is Dr. Jay Giedd, who used to work at the National Institute of Health as chief of brain imaging @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd now works at UCal-San Diego @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd specialized mostly in adolescents @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Geidd studies children's brains and their development.
#Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says that's when most mental illnesses emerge @NECN #Tsarnaev

Geidd focuses his studies on the adolescent brain; tries to pinpoint mental illnesses, which often appear in someone's 20s.

Judy Clarke is doing the direct exam; she tells jurors that Dr. Geidd is here to talk about the adolescent mind.

Dr. Giedd says he began studying groups of children as they aged through the years, through adolescence @NECN #Tsarnaev

Geidd: the exact definition of adolescence is "mushy"; starts w/ puberty onset (varies) and ends with a more social definition of adulthood.

Geidd: The age of reason to be held morally responsible, age to drive, to be drafted, to elected governor; maturity is "all over the place".

Dr. Giedd says adolescence is not completely defined by age, more by development from child into the workforce/adult life @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says its a "grey area" determining when the brain actually matures @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd has brought some slides to show the jury as explains his research.
#Tsarnaev

Dr. Guess says that discovery was surprising because it used to be thought that the brain was mostly matured by 16 or so @NECN #Tsarnaev

Giedd: The brain is still developing through a person's late 20s.
People are at their physical peak in late teens, but also at most reckless

Giedd: The brain is done growing by age 12; it "grows" after that by becoming "more connected and more specialized".

Dr. Giedd: "the brain is as big as it's going to get by about 12" says it actually gets smaller from there @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: "The brain matures by becoming more connected within itself" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: once the brain matures, it's not as changeable @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: our brains stay changeable way longer than any other species @NECN #Tsarnaev

Giedd: Our brains stay "changeable" as we grow; it can get more specialized when we focus on a certain task (music, sports).

Dr. Giedd explains the more we repeats tasks, the faster we can accomplish them @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: Teen brains intensify more on "emotion" before on impulse control or long-range planning.

Dr. Giedd explains the trade off is as we become more specialized in certain things, we can't focus as much on other things @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says the limbic system (emotion) develops sooner than the prefrontal cortex (impulse control/long-range planning) @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says the limbic system is hormone-fueled, so during puberty there is "an explosion in the passions" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd has created a video to illustrate for the jury how the brain matures from age 4-22 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Giedd: We talk about "average brain maturation" but there are so many exceptions to the rule, people who develop at different rates.

Dr. Giedd says there are many exceptions to the rule @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says the later development of the prefrontal cortex is not a bad thing, allows people to keep their options open @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says it helps teens to learn, adapt, allows for interventions @NECN #Tsarnaev

Giedd: "Teens choose smaller, sooner rewards" rather than long-range ones. "The idea is to keep these non-lethal."

Giedd: "At some point we have to draw the line" and say that adolescence is over. Age 25, for sure--but before that, he's not sure.

Giedd: But think about financial planning; you make better decisions after age 25.
#Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: "changing prefrontal/limbic balance affects impulsivity, weighing risk with reward & complex decision making" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says the prefrontal & limbic systems catch up with each other around age 25-30 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: at some point we have to draw the line...25 may be as good as it's going to get (determining brain maturation) @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd says one way to address questions about this is to look at twins & how they're impacted by their environment @NECN #Tsarnaev

Geidd: There are also a lot of "non-genetic influences" that impact brain development. Environment determines a lot.

Giedd: The brain learns social cues well by example; we follow the example of our parents and our siblings. Family determines a lot.

Defense: How would you rate parental influence & sibling influence on the brain?
Dr. Giedd: The big thing is social
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: our brains learn by example, our parents & family when we're younger, peers when we're older @NECN #Tsarnaev

Giedd: Parents are "always on", teaching their kids how to navigate life at every second. Kids observe, mimic, learn.

Dr. Giedd: Since the '70s, we are getting married later, having kids later. Biology hasn't changed; we have. "Adulthood" postponed.

Dr. Giedd points out reading is only 5,000 years old. Modeling after others has gone on long before that @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: kids observe, mimic, learn from their parents through the years @NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: many times we're kind of amazed at how changeable the brain is, how good it is at adapting @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense: I take it at age 19 the brain is still a work in progress.
Dr. Giedd: a work in progress but not damaged
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Clarke: "At age 19, the brain is still a work in progress?"
Giedd: Yes.

That's all from defense.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 1h 1 hour ago
Nadine Pellegrini to cross-examine.

P: you need to look at behavior when you study a brain?
G: yes. Behavior is more direct observation.

P: So the best way to determine brain maturation is by a person's behavior?
G: Yes.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 1h 1 hour ago
Govt:if you don't have a brain scan, the best way of determining maturation is with behavior?
Dr. Giedd:with the metrics yes
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: for example, trying to put science into law isn't always a perfect fit
Dr. Giedd: Correct
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Pellegrini: The science of the brain changes over time; some things are incorrect, like playing Mozart to fetuses in utero?
Giedd: Yes.

Govt: if brain imaging doesn't tell the whole story, you can look at behavior to determine maturity
Dr. Giedd: yes
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd elaborates that at times examining a "brain scan is backwards" says "the behavior itself is key" @NECN #Tsarnaev

P: You can see impulsive behavior without a brain scan?
G: Yes. The activity itself proves the impulsivity.
#Tsarnaev

P: This colorful brain scan video you showed us here -- haven't you said these can be deceptive in a courtroom?
G: Yes, and outside of one.

Govt: you said colorful brain scans used in court can be irrationally persuasive
Dr. Giedd: correct - I stand by that
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: you said it's not only that brain imaging shows highly variable changes...there are so many exceptions to the rule
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd agrees and elaborates that it would be very hard to go from a brain scan & predict maturity & impulsivity @NECN #Tsarnaev

P: You really can't know where any individual's brain might be at one point in time, due to variability?

Dr. Giedd says his research is based on behavior of groups as a whole, there will always be exceptions @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: age might be just a number when we're talking the level of maturity of an individual
Dr. Giedd agrees
@NECN #Tsarnaev

P: You once said people can be mature as teens and immature as 30 year olds?

Giedd: As a group, 25 year olds make better decisions than 16 year olds, but individual people might contradict that generalization.

Govt: at age 19 a person can plan, can premeditate & can understand the consequences of their actions
Dr. Giedd: correct
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd elaborates some teens can do that even younger, 14 or even 10, depends on the person @NECN #Tsarnaev

P: Age is just a number?

#Tsarnaev

#Tsarnaev jury is fully engaged as Pellegrini asks: can a 19y.o. fully plan & premeditate an action, understand its consequences?
Giedd: Yes

Pellegrini just got the defense expert Giedd to admit: "Brain science is a very humbling business; we're just scratching the surface."

Giedd says a person's behavior is "the gold standard" of what their brain is up to, maturity-wise - making the prosecution's point again.

Dr. Giedd says originally his goal was to use brain scan to see if someone had autism or another disease, not there yet
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Dr. Giedd: behavior is still "gold standard" admits researchers "not close" to using brain scan to determine certain things
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt is done with cross examination. Dr. Giedd is excused. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense calls Sonya Petri again (their paralegal who reads testimony of others into the record) but as they do, judge asks for sidebar.

Judge calls a brief sidebar before the next witness, Sonya Petri is recalled once again @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense attorney David Bruck will ask Petri to read records of Anzor #Tsarnaev's medical history to the jury.

Petri will introduce a summary of Anzor #Tsarnaev medical records from MGH, Spaulding & 2005-12 psychiatric & neurological records @NECN

You'll recall from yesterday's testimony, #Tsarnaev's father was very sick: paranoid, PTSD, anxious, hallucinates little lizards near him.

In March 2007, Anzor #Tsarnaev went to doctor with his wife - he felt "anxious, unable to control himself" @NECN

In Jan 2009 Anzor reported having more intrusive auditory & visual hallucinations @NECN #Tsarnaev

Aug 8, 2009 Anzor was assaulted at Arbat Restaurant, he suffered a skull fracture, bleeding on the brain @NECN #Tsarnaev

Anzor #Tsarnaev's lengthy medical history includes diagnosis of psychosis; in 2011, he fears wife will leave him if he doesn't get better.

Aug 11, 2009 Anzor had surgery, the next day he had impaired cognitive & mental function @NECN #Tsarnaev

Oct 2009, Anzor said he was scared by his condition, diagnosed with psychosis @NECN #Tsarnaev

May 2010, Anzor still having worse symptoms, diagnosed with psychosis & delusional disorder @NECN #Tsarnaev

Late Oct 2010, Anzor went to a new neurologist. He was diagnosed with chronic post traumatic headache, depression, anxiety @NECN #Tsarnaev

Feb 2010 Anzor told his doctor, "If I am not getting better my wife would divorce me" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Sept 2011, Anzor & Zubeidat came in, he feels better but easily overwhelmed & fluctuating @NECN #Tsarnaev

April 2012, letter from doctor said Anzor needed constant supervision, divorced his wife & stopped taking all meds @NECN #Tsarnaev

April 2012: Doctor notes Anzor #Tsarnaev stopped taking meds, stopped coming to treatment, divorced his wife.

April 2012, letter from doctor said Anzor needed constant supervision, divorced his wife & stopped taking all meds @NECN #Tsarnaev

Petri is done reading Anzor #Tsarnaev medical records. She is excused @NECN

The next defense witness is Jennifer Callison, a transition specialist in special education dept at Winchester Schools. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison worked in Cambridge public schools in a similar capacity 2007-2010 @NECN #Tsarnaev

Petri is done; defense calls Jennifer Callison.
#Tsarnaev looks at her as she's sworn in.

Callison helps Winchester public school students with disabilities transition into life after school. She used to work in Cambridge.

For part of that time, Callison worked at Cambridge Rindge & Latin @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison says she's also a former WBCN and WBOS disc jockey.
She also once worked at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School in 2010/2011.

Callison: I helped "connect students to services useful to them once they leave school". I was faculty advisor to "Best Buddies" group.

Callison was the supervisor/faculty advisor for the Best Buddies program at CRLS @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison: Best Buddies partnered students with special-needs kids, fostered friendships, social skills.

Callison explains the Best Buddies club helped create friendships between students & special needs children @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison says Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev was part of the Best Buddies club at CRLS in 2010-2011 school year @NECN

Callison: Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev was a member of our Best Buddies club; purely voluntary.

Callison shows jury a photo from a Best Buddies end-of-the year party; #Tsarnaev is there. She says he attended many events.

Jury sees photos of the Best Buddies end of the year banquet where Dzhokhar is smiling next to another kid @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison says Dzhokhar #Tsarnaev participated in Best Buddies events both inside & outside school @NECN

Callison: #Tsarnaev went to the Best Buddies prom, a chance many of our kids with developmental disabilities wouldn't have otherwise had.

Callison says of Dzhokhar "he was kind, respectful, nice to every student he encountered, a good member of the club" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison: I remember #Tsarnaev was kind, respectful, like all our volunteers. "He was a good member of the club."

Callison is way, way, less effusive than some of the other faculty who've testified on his behalf. Her answers re; his kindness are brief.

Callison: The student I'm speaking about today is the one I remember from years ago, I can't imagine him being responsible for bombing.

Defense: could you imagine the person you knew as Dzhokhar committing the marathon bombing?
Callison: no
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense is done. Govt has no questions for Callison. She is excused @NECN #Tsarnaev

Callison shoots #Tsarnaev a quick glance as she walks away; judge asks for a sidebar.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 59m 59 minutes ago
Judge: we will take lunch now.
#Tsarnaev re-arranges some papers on defense desk, and is led out of courtroom.

Lawyers are back; #Tsarnaev is led back into courtroom..

Jury here.
Defense calls Eric Traub, a software engineer in D.C.
1999 MIT graduate, former teacher.

#Tsarnaev

Traub once taught at Cambridge Rindge & Latin School; #Tsarnaev was his math student in 2007 & 2010.

Traub: He was "a kind student...I really liked having him in a classroom...he brought a fun energy."
#Tsarnaev

Traub says he had Dzhokhar in 2007 & 2011 in class - "Dzhokhar was a kind student, he got along great with his peers" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Traub: "He kept to himself a little bit more as a freshman...the Silva brothers were in my class, he hung out with them" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Traub shows jury a silly photo of #Tsarnaev, a Silva twin, and himself making a funny face - kind of a photobomb, he says.

Traub: I knew #Tsarnaev was Muslim b/c he and other students used to pray in a classroom near mine. Never heard him talk politics.

Traub on Dzhokhar: I knew he spoke Russian & he was Muslim...he prayed in a class next to mine @NECN #Tsarnaev

Traub: #Tsarnaev's parents never came to one-on-one teacher meetings.
He asked me for a letter of recommendation for college.

Traub: I had #Tsarnaev as a freshman and a senior, and "it was fun to write a letter for a student like that".

Jury sees Traub's recommendation letter; He calls #Tsarnaev "smart, energetic and friendly".
"He motivates himself" and classmates.

"Dzhokhar is a strong student with a positive attitude," Traub wrote in 12/2010.
#Tsarnaev

Traub's letter: "Dzhokhar is amiable with his peers & adults...he is always polite & respectful" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Traub's letter: "Dzhokhar is a strong student with a positive attitude" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Traub re: bombing: "I was shocked when I saw his picture on TV and his name was there. In fact, I didn't even believe it at first."

Traub: "I didn't even believe it was him at first because it didn't make sense to me" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Clarke: Did #Tsarnaev have you fooled in high school?
Objection.
- No I don't.

Steve Mellin to cross Traub.
- #Tsarnaev was self-motivated, correct?
- Yes.

Mellin: He was mature?
- For a high school kid.
- And he was smart?
- Yes.

Traub steps down, he and #Tsarnaev share a quick nod.

Defense calls their 42nd witness, Kevin Roche; he's a deputy US Marshall in Boston.

Roche says he met #Tsarnaev at Beth Israel on 4/21/13 when he had his initial appearance with Magistrate Judge Bowler @NECN

Roche met #Tsarnaev at Beth Israel hospital on 4/21/2013 (the Sunday).

Prior to #Tsarnaev's arraignment in July, 2013, Roche "interacted" with him about 6 times, he testifies.

Roche was part of the detail that stayed with Dzhokhar in the hospital @NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: We had a 6-person Marshal detail on #Tsarnaev in his hospital wing, plus other security in and around the facility.

Roche said he interacted with #Tsarnaev about half a dozen times before his arraignment in July 2013 @NECN

Govt objection leads to a sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Govt objects to defense questions about Roche's interactions with #Tsarnaev after discharge from hospital. Judge grants sidebar @NECN

Sidebar over, defense asks if there were occasions Roche escorted #Tsarnaev to medical appointments
Roche: Yes twice @NECN

Roche: 1st time we took him to doctor, he was lethargic, he may have still been medicated. His face was injured, "his head was deformed".

Roche said #Tsarnaev was pretty lethargic, "his head was deformed...left side seemed swollen" @NECN

Roche: I didn't see anything wrong with his mouth.
#Tsarnaev followed my instructions on those visits to doctors.

Conrad: Let's talk about 7/10/13, the day of #Tsarnaev's arraignment.
Have you see the video of the gesture he made?
Roche: I have.

Roche says he has seen the video of the gesture #Tsarnaev made in the cell block before his arraignment @NECN

Roche: I went to speak to #Tsarnaev with a supervisor after that gesture. He listened to us "and didn't have much to offer."
He apologized.

Roche said he went with his supervisor to speak to #Tsarnaev about the gesture, admits Dzhokhar apologized @NECN

Roche also admits over govt objection that he has seen others held in those cells have used the camera reflection as mirror @NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: we told #Tsarnaev that his behavior won't be tolerated here.
He said, "No, I'm done, I'm sorry".

Roche says when #Tsarnaev was told it was unacceptable, "He said no I'm done, I'm sorry" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: in my experience I've never written a report about a hand gesture @NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: other detainees do far worse things in our holding cells.

Defense done with direct. Govt begins cross @NECN #Tsarnaev

Mellin to cross examine.

M: by July, #Tsarnaev was healing, correct?
R: Yes.

Mellin: did you ever see #Tsarnaev make a peace sign?
Roche: In my opinion, no.
Objection, "the video speaks for itself"; sustained.

As defense objects, govt keeps asking about the "two finger sideways sign"
Roche: "I perceived it as defiance."
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Mellin: What did you see that caused you to speak with him?
Roche: I saw the two-fingered sign, then the middle finger.

M: What did you take that gesture to mean?
R: I'm pure-bred Irish, all my grandparents came here from Ireland.
-Objection.

M: how did you perceive that gesture?
R: I perceived it as defiance, the way I grew up, that was a disrespectful sign.

Roche identified both the two-fingered gesture and the middle finger as obscene.
#Tsarnaev

Govt asks compared to the middle finger
Roche: to me they were one in the same, they were similar, they meant the same to me
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: He knew we were there for a reason, he did it to a camera, he knew we saw it @NECN #Tsarnaev

Roche: #Tsarnaev acknowledged why were there. We asked if he was going to be a problem all day:
"No, I'm done, I'm sorry." #Tsarnaev said.

After several more objections, government is done with cross examination. Roche is excused. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Defense calls their 42nd witness, Kevin Roche; he's a deputy US Marshall in Boston

Bezy owns a consulting firm for correctional facilities; he knows a lot about Federal BOP policies.

The next defense witness is Mark Bezy, retired from the federal bureau of prisons after 28 years @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy has 28 years' experience in federal prison system.
He was there when ADX supermax facility in Florence, CO was opened.

Bezy was warden at various federal penitentiaries during his tenure, including death row in Terre Haute, IN.

Bezy currently runs a correctional consulting company @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy worked for the federal BOP from 1978-2006, had various assignments @NECN #Tsarnaev

From 1992-1995 Bezy was captain of the highest security US penitentiary in Illinois (supermax) @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy says when the newest supermax opened in 1994 in Florence, CO (ADX) he moved 90% of Illinois supermax prisoners there @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: Special Administrative Measures (SAMs) "cut off an inmate's communication with the outside world." Often used for terrorists.

Bezy explains Special Administrative Measures (SAMs) - "mechanism to cut off inmate's communication with outside world" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: #Tsarnaev is currently under SAMs.

Bezy: SAMs = an inmate's written communications, correspondence, contact with media and with other inmates is all controlled.

Bezy explains the FBI & US Attorney's office make SAMs recommendations to the U.S. Attorney General, can be renewed annually @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: SAMs are good for 1 year and then go up for renewal. With #Tsarnaev they have already been renewed.
Can be renewed indefinitely.

Bezy says there's no limit to how long the SAMs can be renewed @NECN #Tsarnaev

The jury sees snow covered aerial photos of the Colorado supermax prison known as ADX @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: prisoners subjected to SAMs go to ADX because it's been determined to be best place for them.

Bezy: H unit, the special security area at ADX, is where these prisoners go.

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 60m 60 minutes ago
Bezy: Inmates generally get one 15-minute phone call to immediate family/month. Calls are recorded and live-monitored by a team.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 58m 58 minutes ago
Bezy says ADX inmates get up to 2 15 min phone calls each month to immediate family, monitored by FBI & BOP @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: Immediate family only may visit (parents, children, spouses, siblings). Non-contact visits; there's a security glass partition.

Bezy says only immediate family can visit once per month, no physical contact @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 57m 57 minutes ago
Bezy says no contact with the media is allowed. @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: one visitor at a time; prisoner stays locked in a booth.

Bezy: There is no contact with the news media at all.
#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 58m 58 minutes ago
Bezy: Correspondence is to/from immediate family only.
We read it all, incoming and outgoing.
It's analyzed, then delivered to inmate.

Bezy says only immediate family can correspond with inmate by mail, it is photocopied, can be rejected @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: Even immediate family can be "disapproved" from contacting inmates.

Bezy: each inmate is assigned to a single cell, no communication with inmates from other units @NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy: Inmates get single cells in H unit. No contact with other prisoners in other units.

Bezy: There are recording devices & ongoing monitoring in H unit too, but I can't get into specifics.

Bezy says there are 27 inmates under SAMs for the 34 cells in the ADX supermax unit known as "Unit H" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 56m 56 minutes ago
Bezy says only FBI, US Attorney's office or US Attorney General can lift any of these SAMs @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 57m 57 minutes ago
Bezy: H-unit currently has 27 inmates under SAMs. There are 34 units available.
#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 57m 57 minutes ago
Bezy: If an inmate is well-behaved, the BOP cannot lift SAMs. It's up to the US Attorney & FBI.
#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 56m 56 minutes ago
Bezy: If an inmate tries to violate SAMs, they can take away his phone, visit, or correspondence privileges.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 56m 56 minutes ago
Bezy says phone, visitation & mail privileges can be taken away @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 54m 54 minutes ago
Defense: how many life sentenced terrorists under SAMs have been designated to H Unit?
Bezy: all but one
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 54m 54 minutes ago
Bruck wants to ask what other types of criminals are in H-unit?
He tries several times, earns objections each time.
To sidebar.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 54m 54 minutes ago
Bezy explains the "one" went to a hospital instead
As defense tries to ask about types of offenders, govt objects.
Sidebar
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 53m 53 minutes ago
Sidebar done. Defense asks a different question @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 53m 53 minutes ago
Bruck is back, changes approach.

He asks, what if govt. didn't renew #Tsarnaev's SAMs? Would he stay at ADX?
Bezy: In my opinion, yes.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 53m 53 minutes ago
Defense: if govt chose not to renew SAMs, would an inmate remain at ADX?
Bezy: in my opinion you would remain at ADX
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 51m 51 minutes ago
Bezy says #Tsarnaev case has gotten such wide publicity, he'd remain at ADX even if SAMs were lifted @NECN

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 51m 51 minutes ago
Bruck asks if Bezy has reviewed #Tsarnaev records from his 2 years being held at Devens.
Govt objects, back to sidebar.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 51m 51 minutes ago
When defense asks about Bezy reviewing #Tsarnaev records from past two years, govt objects & judge calls another sidebar @NECN

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 50m 50 minutes ago
Sidebar done. Defense is done with direct questioning of Bezy @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 50m 50 minutes ago
Bruck returns, but has no questions.
AUSA Steve Mellin on the cross.

#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 51m 51 minutes ago
Mellin: You've never actually worked at ADX right?
Bezy: Correct.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 49m 49 minutes ago
Bezy: "I've been there quite a few times...so I'm quite familiar with ADX" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 49m 49 minutes ago
Mellin: How many times have you been on H-unit?
Bezy: I toured it last month.
M: In the cells?
B: No.

Bezy says the last time he was at the H Unit at ADX was 2005, then says it was last month
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt gets Bezy to admit he didn't really go beyond control center at H Unit last month, didn't go in cells
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 50m 50 minutes ago
Mellin: So, you looked down a hallway, not into cells, correct?
Bezy: Right, they didn't want us to know that.

M: You've never worked there though, with inmates under SAMs?
B: Correct.

M: Inmates with expired SAMs just get moved out of H-unit, right?

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 48m 48 minutes ago
Mellin: You believe, as you sit here right now, that the US Attorney's office controls SAMs?
Bezy: The final call, no, but you have input.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 46m 46 minutes ago
Govt: the U.S. Attorney may recommend SAMs be renewed but US Attorney General may not renew
Bezy: that's very possible
@NECN #Tsarnaev

M: Prisoners file lawsuits attacking their SAMs all the time?
M: SAMs can be modified?
B: Not by a court.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 45m 45 minutes ago
Govt:You can't predict how long there's going to be SAMs program in the future correct?
Bezy:I think it'll be there a while
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: you're not aware the defense moved to vacate the SAMs in this case?
Bezy: no
@NECN #Tsarnaev

M: There has already been a modification of the SAMs in the #Tsarnaev case, did you know that?
M: You're not aware of that?

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 46m 46 minutes ago
Mellin: Are you aware that every year inmates come off SAMs?
Bezy: It's very possible.

Bezy insists he's unaware of any situation in which SAMs have been violated
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy agrees with govt there are convicted terrorists who have been taken off SAMs
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 45m 45 minutes ago
M: When SAMs are removed, someone on the H-unit comes out, right?
B: Yes
M: Even terrorists on SAMs come off them? And get moved?
B: Correct

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 42m 42 minutes ago
Bezy: An inmate might stay in H-unit if his security is in danger

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 43m 43 minutes ago
Bezy explains if an inmate's security would be a threat at a less secure facility they could remain at H Unit
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 42m 42 minutes ago
Govt grills Bezy on the "step down" program where inmates can move into less secure phases @NECN #Tsarnaev

Govt: The reason you have that is you want to get to a situation where you have less restrictions, correct?
Bezy: correct
@NECN #Tsarnaev

Bezy's voice is elevated as he explains why the goal is to get inmates out of the most secure unit @NECN #Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 41m 41 minutes ago
Bezy insists there are some inmates in the H Unit who have been there since 1994 & "will be there forever" @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 39m 39 minutes ago
Mellin: most original H-unit inmates have been moved or taken off SAMs since 2002, right?
Bezy: some have, yes.
#Tsarnaev

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 39m 39 minutes ago
Govt gets Bezy to agree that even inmates at ADX can communicate with each other @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 38m 38 minutes ago
M: inmates communicate, even at ADX, inappropriately or not?
B: Yes.
M: They try to pull of a hit on someone?
Objection, sustained.

Alysha Palumbo @AlyshaNECN · 39m 39 minutes ago
Judge calls a sidebar as AUSA Steve Mellin continues to grill Bezy @NECN #Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 38m 38 minutes ago
M: Even at ADX, inmates get books and magazines, correct?
B: Yes.
M: They can receive communications?
Objection - sidebar.

#Tsarnaev

Jim Armstrong @JimArmstrongWBZ · 33m 33 minutes ago
Judge ends sidebar, tells jury we will end here for the day, resume tomorrow.
#Tsarnaev
-------------------------------

https://twitter.com/jimarmstrongwbz

https://twitter.com/alyshanecn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics