Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Duncan is a case study and wake up call
a fever from West Africa should be considered Ebola til tested neg.
People on plane safe
Family members monitered
Dr not in favor of shutting down air travel
Dr says never believe patients allot lie
100 checked and nothing happening to them yet
2 days for blood to show Ebola
Is this how they test for Ebola- blood test, or do they just go by temperature???

I guess my previous post was grossly misunderstood. I 'd love to see a travel ban. I just don't know how effective it would be without ALL parties/countries/agencies on board an in agreement to the same ban at the same time. I also wonder how willing the infected countries would be to such a ban. It's one thing to not allow travelers from country X into our country. But what about a ban saying no one can leave country X ? Is that even possible? Wouldn't country X be more than willing to get people out of their country so they have less numbers to deal with in quarantine and dying, etc? I would think country X is happy to have anyone leave travel out at at time like this. And if such a ban went in, how would country X get supplies, relief, aid, doctors into their country ?

ETA Here are some answers to some of my questions above.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-closing-borders-wont-solve-152400673.html

A previous poster on this thread had a really good solution for the medical personnel and supplies if there were a travel ban- the exception would be military transport. Why couldn't the doctors and medical supplies fly on military planes???

Is this how they test for Ebola- blood test, or do they just go by temperature???
Diagnosis is made through PCR testing of blood sample for the virus. PCR method of testing is accurate and shows the virus in the blood sample as soon as the person has first symptoms.
Before symptoms occur, testing can be negative. ( False negative).

Duncan is not receiving experimental medication. Doctor's fear that experimental might worsen his condition.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-authorities-man-made-contact-ebola-patient/story?id=25976338

Also this video says that his family says that Duncan is not conscious because he is heavily sedated. He's gone into kidney failure and is on dialysis and cannot breathe on his own and is on a ventilator. http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/texas-ebola-patients-condition-worsens-25974412

Kidney failure and not breathing on his own are not good signs that he will recover. If he weren't on dialysis, he'd die from the kidney failure within days- that was one of the last stages when my SIL was dying of cancer, her kidneys failed just days before her heart stopped.

Where are you getting two days ago? He returned to his home in Mass on 9/25, that's over a week ago. Before that he was in Nebraska for three weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks wasn't sure hence the question mark.. Just what someone had said to me..

Several things about this bother me. He's not showing symptoms? Really ? I thought they did not know where he was , so how could they know that ? What about the other people who rode in the same ambulance? I 'll assume it picked up more than one person between dropping off Duncan and being 'taken out of service' about 48 hrs later. Where are the others? Did they locate all of them because they had addresses and cleared them all already ? Is there some particular reason they seek this man , as in they KNEW there was some fluids of Duncan's in the ambulance at the time he rode? The homeless do not have tv, internet, radio,etc. in most cases, so the community may be in the dark about ebola even being in Dallas. Hopefully they will print out fliers and distribute them far and wide about the risk.
I think the article was updated since then and they located him and are "monitoring him". Didn't say where.

Can all these machines used in the hospital on Duncan be cleaned effectively to decontaminate them? It is the next person to use them that concerns me.

ETA: This was being posted as news of Duncan's death was, so it is not meant to be cruel!
Absolutely! Hospitals have autoclaves which use high-intensity heat to clean instruments, and they have bleach on hand.

The blood test is confirmation that the person actually has Ebola. The temperature test is used for quick screening of large numbers of people. The three counties where the disease is rampant will not let anyone with an elevated temperature board an airliner.

An infected person still in the incubation period will not have a high temperature, and will likely test negative on the blood test. From what I have heard, the blood test come back positive only when the virus has multiplied enough that the person is beginning to show symptoms.

I had to back off the thread for a while to gain control of my anxiety.

I am sorry that Duncan lost his fight after his condition worsened Saturday.

"First US Ebola Patient Dies

Thomas A. Duncan, who became ill with Ebola after arriving from West Africa in Dallas two weeks ago, succumbed to the virus today (Sunday), reports Reuters. Duncan was fighting for his life at a Dallas hospital on today after his condition worsened to critical, according to the director of the US Centers for Disease Control."

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/Flash.aspx/305795#.VDGvxJt0w5t

There was a tweet yesterday from 1 of the paramedics who rode w/Duncan to the hospital. On his FB pg, he expressed outrage because he was never told the patient had ebola. He stated he made several runs in the ambulance after Duncan's trip. ATT, no one w/authority had approached him about his contact w/patient.

Charles C. Johnson ‏@ChuckCJohnson · 58m58 minutes ago
Why does #ThomasEricDuncan have a 19 year old son living in Dallas? #Ebola

DSHS Press Office @TexasDSHS · 4h 4 hours ago

Dr. Lakey: The good news is that we've had no more cases, and no contacts have reported symptoms. #Ebola

Thomas A. Duncan, who became ill with Ebola after arriving from West Africa in Dallas two weeks ago, succumbed to the virus today (Sunday), reports Reuters. Duncan was fighting for his life at a Dallas hospital on today after his condition worsened to critical, according to the director of the US Centers for Disease Control."

There was a tweet yesterday from 1 of the paramedics who rode w/Duncan to the hospital. On his FB pg, he expressed outrage because he was never told the patient had ebola. He stated he made several runs in the ambulance after Duncan's trip. ATT, no one w/authority had approached him about his contact w/patient.

Dr. Lakey: The good news is that we've had no more cases, and no contacts have reported symptoms. #Ebola
They are the only one reporting that.

There is no evidence that Duncan recognized that his neighbor had Ebola rather than problems associated with her pregnancy. But our fear drives us to ignore that fact so we can dump on a victim of this terrible disease.

Agreed and after reading the stigma in Africa with ebola and how horribly the patients and their families are treated, I would not be surprised at all if the deceased pregnant woman's family told him ' ' NO no no its' not ebola'' , just so they could get some help ? Or maybe they were in denial themselves, fearing for the community to shun them. This little tiny virus has really made an impact. I think many people are more afraid to lose standing in their community than they are of death . :(

Is there a rumor that Duncan has passed or did some news outlet report it , but no verification? I saw a post earlier upthread. tia

I hope parkland is a better hospital than it was 20 yrs ago as they damn near killed me.. And they really sucked.. Too much to explain..

He has every right to be angry ! As soon as he was seen by drs and even a question of Ebola, they should have alerted all first responders who had been in contact with him. That guy 's probably really worried. He probably DID have contact with the fluids .

Dallas sheriff’s deputies upset about being ordered inside Ebola patient’s apartment without protective gear

Five Dallas County sheriff’s deputies who were ordered Wednesday to go inside the Dallas apartment where an Ebola patient stayed are now worried about their health.

And the sheriff’s association that represents them is not happy about the department’s lack of preparations and precautions before sending them.

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/...ients-apartment-without-protective-gear.html/

They are the only one reporting that.

Ummm, their source is Reuters, which is a prominent national news source, like AP. I trust Reuter's, but... I could not find any other news source with this info. yet, doesn't mean it isn't true, maybe just that they don't want it to be public knowledge yet. Reuter's may have gotten the scoop. As I stated before, Duncan won't last long if his kidneys have failed and he's dependent on a ventilator for breathing.

Ummm, their source is Reuters, which is a prominent national news source, like AP. I trust Reuter's, but... I could not find any other news source with this info. yet, doesn't mean it isn't true, maybe just that they don't want it to be public knowledge yet. Reuter's may have gotten the scoop. As I stated before, Duncan won't last long if his kidneys have failed and he's dependent on a ventilator for breathing.
Reuters is not reporting that, I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
supersnooper001