Ebola outbreak - general thread #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm, their source is Reuters, which is a prominent national news source, like AP. I trust Reuter's, but... I could not find any other news source with this info. yet, doesn't mean it isn't true, maybe just that they don't want it to be public knowledge yet. Reuter's may have gotten the scoop. As I stated before, Duncan won't last long if his kidneys have failed and he's dependent on a ventilator for breathing.

Sorry, the story is bogus. Reuters is reporting that he's still in critical condition.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKCN0HT0MZ20141005?irpc=932

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

I'm not scaremongering, so please don't accuse me of it. I simply asked you a legitimate question. It seems a very real possibility to me that if one strain of Ebola can mutate, so could another.
Hi Linas. :) Regarding mutations, the answer is that Ebola Zaire has already undergone several since the outbreak began, and the mutations are being monitored closely.

So far, it has not been proved to be airborne between primates outside of laboratory conditions (intentional, direct, aerosol spray). There are "levels" of airborne, to put it very simply, but the lack of infected fellow passengers of Patrick Sawyer give us important insight and should be reassuring.

Most organisms mutate and any mutation that helps them survive and spread will have an advantage due to selective pressure. Ebola is an RNA virus. RNA mutates with more frequency, but less "intelligence" than DNA.

This is good. It might have already mutated in other ways unfortunate to us, but the best way to stop it from mutating further is to stop further infections.

We do not know for sure all the details of all the manners or how easily it is spread in non-laboratory conditions. We cannot reliably predict the outcome of its entry into the variety of populations we have - from localized areas within Dallas, Tx, to other countries outside of Africa.

To know the important thing, which is what it is capable of doing here we must wait and observe who gets it here, and how.

Until then, don't take unnecessary chances, but don't stress out or expect the worst.

(I expect someone has answered you since I started typing an hour ago - phone calls :doh: - but I'm going to post it anyway, along with another essay I started and didn't post.)

The temperature test is used for quick screening of large numbers of people. The three counties where the disease is rampant will not let anyone with an elevated temperature board an airliner.

And many sources say those that want to HIDE a temperature could use ibuprofen to do it!

Ibuprofen Is All It Takes to Avoid Airport Ebola Screening: Experts

NEW YORK - People who contract Ebola in West Africa can get through airport screenings and onto a plane with a lie and a lot of ibuprofen, according to healthcare experts who believe more must be done to identify infected travelers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/eb...avoid-airport-ebola-screening-experts-n217366

Hi Linas. :) Regarding mutations, the answer is that Ebola Zaire has already undergone several since the outbreak began, and the mutations are being monitored closely.

So far, it has not been proved to be airborne between primates outside of laboratory conditions (intentional, direct, aerosol spray). There are "levels" of airborne, to put it very simply, but the lack of infected fellow passengers of Patrick Sawyer give us important insight and should be reassuring.

Most organisms mutate and any mutation that helps them survive and spread will have an advantage due to selective pressure. Ebola is an RNA virus. RNA mutates with more frequency, but less "intelligence" than DNA.

This is good. It might have already mutated in other ways unfortunate to us, but the best way to stop it from mutating further is to stop further infections.

We do not know for sure all the details of all the manners or how easily it is spread in non-laboratory conditions. We cannot reliably predict the outcome of its entry into the variety of populations we have - from localized areas within Dallas, Tx, to other countries outside of Africa.

To know the important thing, which is what it is capable of doing here we must wait and observe who gets it here, and how.

Until then, don't take unnecessary chances, but don't stress out or expect the worst.

(I expect someone has answered you since I started typing an hour ago - phone calls :doh: - but I'm going to post it anyway, along with another essay I started and didn't post.)

BBM, This !!! I doubt if all of Texas is going to die.. or even all of Dallas ...or even a dozen people. I expect a few more cases, related to him, probably his family from the apartment. Since they're being monitored closely, it would be caught very early on and their chance or survival would be much better. I expect it would end there. It's still scary and everyone should be aware and careful but reality is many more Texans will die in auto accidents in 21 days than from ebola. I don't have a link for that. I'm just guessing its' true. So if you're not afraid to drive this week, don't be afraid of ebola.

ETA Over 3k Texans die each year in car wrecks. http://www.uvallelaw.com/news/texas...-people-die-driving-on-texas-roads-each-year/
So 174 Texans will die in car accidents every 21 days. Perspective !

Thank-you for answering my post in such a way that is not condescending or snarky, I do mean that!!! I can't say I feel that way about all posters.

ABC News has just said he is in VERY CRITICAL condition, BUT they can only report what they are told.
Next if Duncan passes, allot has to be done.
Just convincing his family that they could never view him, touch him,
bury him in their traditional way.
His family has to be told in person and not on the news.

ABC News has just said he is in VERY CRITICAL condition, BUT they can only report what they are told.
So not dead yet, but actively dying is how I interpret that. He isn't going to make it. Perhaps the Israeli news "jumped the shark". Maybe they were preparing his death announcement in advance, as many newspapers do for celebrity deaths. It seems like a foregone conclusion that he will die soon. I agree that someone ought to contact Louise with that news directly. Even by phone would be better than nothing.

Bleeding is the rarest ebola symptom - not everyone gets it, and if they do, it is in the later stages. And a lot of it is internal. It's mostly fever, vomiting, and diarrhea. So it is not necessarily obvious that someone has ebola and not a more common flu-like illness, particularly if there haven't been other ebola cases around.

Yes, many news sources jump the gun on obits for ratings. JMOO he is probably passing. News said 'ran out of special meds? and he is to bad for experimental drugs. If he has no living will does hospital have to keep him on life support til his heart stops?

I just read that Duncan's son has said he hasn't seen his father since he was 3.

Yes, many news sources jump the gun on obits for ratings. JMOO he is probably passing. News said 'ran out of special meds? and he is to bad for experimental drugs. If he has no living will does hospital have to keep him on life support til his heart stops?

I don't think he's on life support. He is sedated. He isn't brain dead or anything.

I just read that Duncan's son has said he hasn't seen his father since he was 3.

19 yr old bio son would be his next of kin for any decisions. I don't think life support is going to be an option though.

19 yr old bio son would be his next of kin for any decisions. I don't think life support is going to be an option though.

He is already on life support. He is on ventilator.

Well, this is a two sided sword! His local family/friends are quarantined so they cannot attend any services if they were held. I've read he has family in NC also. Surely the family is aware that their burial practices are not permitted in the USA, and that a person dying from Ebola is still contagious.

OPINION ONLY - My belief is he has passed, and the CDC did not want to announce it on a week-end day.

So the 35 year old daughter of his girlfriend/fiancee calls him "Daddy"yet he hasn't seen the son he had with the same girlfriend/fiancee for 16 years???

That doesn't sound like a "family" at all. Have we heard anything about his family in Liberia or wherever they are? Does he have other wives/children over there? Surely he does.

So the 35 year old daughter of his girlfriend/fiancee calls him "Daddy"yet he hasn't seen the son he had with the same girlfriend/fiancee for 16 years???

That doesn't sound like a "family" at all. Have we heard anything about his family in Liberia or wherever they are? Does he have other wives/children over there?

From what I read, the two met in Liberia years ago. The relationship didn't work out, but all these years later apparently they decided to reconcile. My understanding is that they lived in different countries (she in US, he in Liberia) for years, which could explain why he didn't see his son.

While a ventilator is technically a life support measure, I think things like DNRs go by the condition of the patient. Someone who is temporarily on a ventilator after surgery would not have the option to request support be withdrawn. They withdraw that sort of support when there is no hope that the person could ever breathe again. I don't know whether he is ventilated because of the sedation or the other way around, but until another organ fails, the possibility of recovery exists and he would be able to resume breathing. I could see maybe stopping dialysis - they may know for certain he will not recover kidney function.

OK, feel free to skip this, since I haven't been and don't care to go through the WS expert qualification process, but I'm sticking with opinion or things you can find through Google (as with my last post).

So... As a personal commentary and suggestion, I will say this much:

Watch out for polarization - be it here, in the media, press conferences, and yes, even with your health care workers.

It's human nature to respond to an overstatement with another overstatement intended to balance. But intent notwithstanding, by their very nature, such responses are not themselves balanced or objective truths.

That leads to misunderstandings, misinformation, and lack of trust. That's not a life or death problem with most issues, but it can be with this one.

On one side, overstatements of current risks, over-pessimism, or talking about bunkering in right now are unnecessary, and worse, motivate officials and some in the medical field to understate the risk, because a panicking population could ultimately cause more problems than the virus.

On the other hand, understatements of risks or overstatements of abilities, meant to soothe fears and reduce panic are also dangerous.
People who have seen or experienced things that prove otherwise feel patronized, less trusting, and panic more.

Other people will take understatements of risk at face value, thus putting us all at more risk by not taking precautions.

So my message is that we will all be safer if both sides will keep this balance in mind. Research and employ critical thinking and analysis to our observations of current and past events and practices, in context.

The media (MSM and not) is guilty of both scaremongering and such dangerous patronizing.

The WHO and CDC lost trust by sending conflicting messages between professionals and the public they fear will panic. (e.g., the comparison to AIDS by the CDC head. :doh:)

A healthcare professional's reliability as a source can only be judged individually, as it depends on their personal experience, work experience, education, specialty, and diligence.

Infection control is only as good as its weakest link, and our history and current problems with unnecessary iatrogenic infections (e.g., MRSA) prove that we still have unacceptable # of weak links.

Our true risks from ebola here are yet to be determined. We will learn vital information in the coming weeks and months.

Until then, we can only be trusted by being honest about what we know and don't know, and facing our weak points.

A few will panic, no matter what. Others will have agendas. The bald truth still wins, because most people are pretty good at either observing and interpreting events or trusting those who earn their trust.

It never hurts for people to step up on preparedness and precautions. How high depends on a variety of factors that might be discussed.

Everyone should read up on droplet precautions and decontamination protocols. The CDC and many universities have helpful papers. The virus is easy to kill with over the counter products you can use at home and when in public.

Don't fret about worst possible outcomes or things you can't control. Stress lowers your immune system. ;)

:twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members